PDA

View Full Version : Maemo Mapper + n800/OS2007 = *kaboom*

gnuite
2007-01-10, 21:10
Perhaps the result isn't as catastrophic as is implied by the title of this thread, but the basic idea is the same: the current version of Maemo Mapper (v1.3.2) does not work with the n800 or OS 2007. The cause seems to lay with Maemo Mapper's use of the BlueZ bluetooth libraries, which were recently upgraded in the n800.

I can't be sure, but an implication is that all applications that link against libbluetooth1 (i.e. most bluetooth-aware applications, except those that are only using bluetooth indirectly via cellular-based internet access) are affected.

From the news bit I added in the Maemo Garage (https://garage.maemo.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=552):

Getting Maemo Mapper to work with the n800 will require standing up a new SDK environment and producing an n800-specific .deb file. I really hope I don't have to manage separate code bases between the two versions; hopefully it is just a matter of building the same code in different build environments. I certainly won't be adding any special functionality to the OS 2007 version.

Still, without an n800 or any plans to buy one, my ability to test Maemo Mapper on its platform will remain greatly hampered. Looks like I'll have to pull a Microsoft (or a Nokia?) and rely on the user base to do my testing. Sorry. :(

Anyway, I'll try to make this new .deb available to n800 owners as soon as I have time.

P.S. Thanks, Nokia.

P.P.S. My apologies for the sarcasm.

9a6or
2007-01-10, 21:27
To me Maemo Mapper is in the top three of Nokia applications so Gnuite should be among the first developers who gets a discounted N800 for 99 EUR. Is there any way us users can influence who is selected for the discount? I am prepared to write to Nokia.

paulrb02
2007-01-10, 21:41
they should give you one

dcarter
2007-01-10, 21:51
either they give you one (discounted or free)
or we all should use this thread to take up a collection
for gnuite. he has paypal ya'know...:cool:

framerate
2007-01-10, 22:08
Maemo Mapper is one of the main reasons I bought the N800, so I second the idea of donations to buy the developer one if needed.

rcull
2007-01-10, 22:16
Installing btxfer from app catalogue fixes this. ls in /usr/lib shows both versions 1 and 2 of the bluetooth libs.

9a6or
2007-01-10, 22:38
Let us not underestimate the kudos value of being selected by Nokia for the discount, Gnuite deserves this. We can then easily put together the remaining 99 EUR from the money we make by selling the N770.

How many MM users are there? If at least 100 then this means <1 EUR each... I am in :)

fpp
2007-01-10, 22:41
let there be 10 of us at 10€ each -- much faster that way :-)

rjungmann
2007-01-10, 23:27
I will help with 10 ? if needed.

nOKia must select you for the 99? discount.

Texrat
2007-01-10, 23:32
500 devices to be given out, popularity of maemo mapper... yeah, I'd find it hard to believe gnuite won't get an invite.

alexjlee
2007-01-10, 23:55
Installing btxfer from app catalogue fixes this.

hhm, btxfer still has libbluetooth1 as a dependency so doesn't install for me.

where did you get libbluetooth1? (which repository?)

penguinbait
2007-01-11, 00:04
Mine is working, mostly

jdr93
2007-01-11, 00:09
Mine is working, mostly
mostly? what fails?

penguinbait
2007-01-11, 00:45
I am running 1.3.2

Flite was not installing so thats not working. I used it today, but it did not leave a red track of where I went. (is that a setting, I could not find it). Also wasn't there a proxy setting, or is just built in now?

I initially tried to install maemo-mapper and it failed, I am not sure what I installed to make it work. I may have hosed this thing but it appears to be working.

becomeroot
dopewars
fceu
kismet
maemo-mapper
mediastreamer
minimo
mplayer
nmap osso-xterm
tt-bitstream-vera
unzip
visualboyadvance
vncviewer
xmaeme
xmame
zip

Also once I got root on the terminal, I ran apt-get install ssh, which also installed debconf and a couple other packages, it choked on processing one of the packages, but everything finished cleanly. I know I will be rebuilding this thing not to far into the future so I worried about hosing it, its an adventure again.

ElGatoFlojo
2007-01-11, 01:03
I donated before, and I intend to go and donate again now. I think instead of just talking about donating, we should all post how much we went and donated already. As soon as I'm done with this posting, and find his web page I'm donating $20 (not sure what the converts to). I think there's enough of us using this, and have the N800 that we should be able to donate enough for him to buy a new one. Personally I'd say that would be a great way to thank him for all the great work. And to get everyone a new N800 version ;-)

So, lets get to it.

jurop88
2007-01-11, 08:51
500 devices to be given out, popularity of maemo mapper... yeah, I'd find it hard to believe gnuite won't get an invite.

I find it hard, too!

Anyway, I'm in the bunch. As a hard user of MM (I travel a lot for work!) I'm ready to donate another $10 if needed to port MM to 800 as soon as I'll get it :)

Gnuite, you made a great little piece of software (who said that to be useful a software should have zillions of code lines?!?!?)

fpp
2007-01-11, 10:44
Of course this is painfully self-evident to all of us here on ITT (at least). But one does wonder how different the corporate view in Nokia management can be : after all, until last week most of us also would have found it hard to believe that ITOS2007 would orphan the 770 platform, and that the long-awaited and much-discussed release of this interesting new hardware would turn into such a PR disaster and community backlash...

alexjlee
2007-01-11, 17:49
i was able to find the missing bluetooth library in the maemo repository. After installing, everything works fine, bluetooth gps included.

konfoo
2007-01-11, 19:16
URL for the missing bt library?

frethop
2007-01-11, 19:45
My N800 is (supposedly) shipping as I write this. MM is the #1 app I use.

Where can I donate?

-F

penguinbait
2007-01-11, 22:35
Maemo Mapper works on 2007 OS right, has anyone besides me got it working? Can anyone else confirm the no red track in MM, or is it just me?

midiwall
2007-01-11, 22:59
Maemo Mapper works on 2007 OS right, has anyone besides me got it working?Not I... I'm stuck in the land of looking for the missing bluetooth library.

rcull had said:
Installing btxfer from app catalogue fixes this. ls in /usr/lib shows both versions 1 and 2 of the bluetooth libs.But it's unclear as to what he was talking about this fixing. btxfer needs the missing bluetooth lib. (which is something that alex mentioned).

I'm wandering the maemo repository (http://repository.maemo.org/stable/) but don't see anything there.

gnuite
2007-01-11, 23:08
All,

I appreciate your many kind words regarding the quality and usefulness of Maemo Mapper. What started as a quest to optimize GPS Drive turned into a neat little maemo application, and it thrills me to no end that others have been able to make use of it.

I have received messages from multiple sources in the past 24 hours (likely spurred by this thread) to the effect that Nokia is or was probably planning to get me an n800 (for free, or at a discount). I have received nothing official yet (no package or email), but maybe it's in the works. If they send a free one, I'll certainly use it to test Maemo Mapper on it.

As for if they offer just a discount... Well, I'll be honest. As of yesterday, if they had offered me a discount (even 75%), I would not have considered it. It's not that I can't afford it. I just don't need an n800 (my 770 is sufficient), and I don't want to spend money on something I don't need. I have certainly been vocal about my insistence on sticking with the 770.

Having read through this thread, though, it is clear that there is demand for Maemo Mapper on the n800. And given that many of you are offering to donate the money needed to cover the expense of acquiring an n800 (and one of you even already has!), I feel that the least I can do is provide to you sufficient support for Maemo Mapper on the n800. And to do that, I'll need to test the application on the actual device.

So yes, if they offer me a discount on the n800, I will eat my pride and cough up their blood money.

As a related side note, I want to emphasize that it's not the hardware refresh that bothers me. Users were complaining about the low CPU and RAM, so it makes sense for Nokia to respond to those complaints. What bothers me is the new OS 2007 and its potential to leave the 770 out in the cold.

I have no (technical) problem with the new CPU, the new RAM, the new chrome style, the new button/port layout, and even the second memory expansion slot. None of these things affect the software, and there is no reason that they necessitated upgrading the operating system in a way that made it incompatible with the 770. When developers start developing exclusively for the n800, 770 users are going to miss out on those new applications if they aren't compatbile with the 770.

If Nokia releases OS 2007 (or some variant based on the same code base) for the 770 (and they still might do so) in such a way that applications can work more-or-less seamlessly between the two pieces of hardware (barring differences in specific hardware usage, like the camera), and if they continue to address the concerns that 770 users have, then I'll have no complaint. Until then, I will continue to worry.

Maybe, between testing Maemo Mapper on OS 2007, I can try and get OS 2006 to run on the n800. Considering the hearsay regarding how slow OS 2007 would run on the 770, and also considering that OS 2007 on the n800 seems to run at an acceptable speed, the correlary then is that OS 2006 would have to run much faster on an n800, right? Of course, the camera might not be usable, but I don't need or want that anyway - all I want are the CPU, RAM, and expansion slot upgrades.

Anyway, again, thank you all for your support in trying to get me an n800. If possible, I will use that support to provide the same Maemo Mapper experience on the n800 platform as I did (and will always continue to do) on the 770 platform.

gnuite
2007-01-11, 23:14
My N800 is (supposedly) shipping as I write this. MM is the #1 app I use.

Where can I donate?

-F
On the Maemo Mapper "home" page (linked from Maemo Mapper's Garage page), there is a graphical button labeled "Make a Donation."

http://www.gnuite.com/nokia770/maemo-mapper/

Thanks! :)

alexjlee
2007-01-11, 23:21
I'm wandering the maemo repository (http://repository.maemo.org/stable/) but don't see anything there.

the missing library is here..... (took some finding!)
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.1/free/b/bluez-libs/

midiwall
2007-01-11, 23:42
the missing library is here..... (took some finding!)
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.1/free/b/bluez-libs/

Wow... nice wandering! THANK YOU!

Okay, so now you folks get to see my newbie colors in terms of understanding the backend of installing packages. I figured I could: download "libbluetooth1_2.25-cvs20060428_armel.deb" to the internal SD
Use AppManager's "Install From File"
...but I get "Incompatible Application Package".

I can see the details of the package, so I know AM is reading it..

penguinbait
2007-01-11, 23:52
I am still confused why my maemo-mapper on n800 is working? I did not upgrade my bluethooth library?

penguinbait
2007-01-12, 00:03
OK so maybe I lied. It must have installed it automagically using "aptget install ssh" There were like 5 things it installed along with ssh , I had a full sources.list from 770 in place? It does not leave a track behind me when I drive is it just me or is there a setting to turn that on?

alexjlee
2007-01-12, 00:10
...but I get "Incompatible Application Package".
wow, you're right. install by file is failing. bummer.
The version i have on my 800 is reporting itself as:

$ apt-cache show libbluetooth1

Filename: pool/maemo2.0/free/b/bluez-libs/libbluetooth1_2.25-cvs20060428_armel.deb

I guess that it'll only install via the command line( ie, as part of another install) and not the installer directly...

gnuite
2007-01-12, 00:25
OK so maybe I lied. It must have installed it automagically using "aptget install ssh" There were like 5 things it installed along with ssh , I had a full sources.list from 770 in place? It does not leave a track behind me when I drive is it just me or is there a setting to turn that on?
Yes, there are checkbox menu items in the View menu - enable "Track". The "Escape" hardware key also can show/hide the track and/or route.

midiwall
2007-01-12, 00:34
wow, you're right. install by file is failing. bummer.
The version i have on my 800 is reporting itself as:

$ apt-cache show libbluetooth1

Filename: pool/maemo2.0/free/b/bluez-libs/libbluetooth1_2.25-cvs20060428_armel.deb

I guess that it'll only install via the command line( ie, as part of another install) and not the installer directly...ah-hah! And I was just about to tell you that the 2.0 and 2.1 packages are binary equivalent. :)

Okay... back to learning how to get a shell prompt. I found the various forum pages and such, I'm trying to get OpenSSH to install.

Thanks for trying Alex!

penguinbait
2007-01-12, 04:41
Gnuite, it appears that 1.3.2 is working entirely on my n800. I use I-Blue, I tested the proxy, routes, flite, poi. Its looking pretty good. You have to get the right software to support it. Thanks Gnuite, that's all I wanted to say.

OK , one more thing, your gonna love your new tablet, after a few days use.

rcull
2007-01-12, 07:17
I installed btxfer from a repository. I am not absolutly sure which one because I was entering them one after another and then afterwards looking at the app-installer list and choosing software to install.

penguinbait
2007-01-12, 17:03
If you switch to "RED PILL" mode in the application installer, you should be able to see the lib and install it. RED PILL mode still works in n800.

midiwall
2007-01-12, 17:52
If you switch to "RED PILL" mode in the application installer, you should be able to see the lib and install it. RED PILL mode still works in n800.As a reference, this thread explains what PB's referring to:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3840

There's a LOT of stuff in the repositories that you don't normally see.

gnuite
2007-01-15, 05:46
As I mentioned in my Maemo Mapper v1.3 thread post (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29668&postcount=95), I released Maemo Mapper v1.3.3, which might (*fingers crossed*) address some of the issues with installing Maemo Mapper on the n800.

Again, without an n800, I haven't actually been able to test these changes, but they should work, in theory. I would appreciate if someone could test the new release on an actual n800 (just the ability to install and run Maemo Mapper).

Note that you need to have the mistral extras repository set up if you want to install from the Application Manager.

midiwall
2007-01-15, 19:25
As I mentioned in my Maemo Mapper v1.3 thread post (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29668&postcount=95), I released Maemo Mapper v1.3.3, which might (*fingers crossed*) address some of the issues with installing Maemo Mapper on the n800.It worked first time for me! THANK YOU! (I used AppsManager, not command line)

Now I just need to find the map repository! :)

midiwall
2007-01-15, 19:37
Now I just need to find the map repository! :)Holy crap... NOW I get it!

What a COOL app. :)

Thanks John!

guerby
2007-01-18, 00:33
Added the extras mistral free repo to my N800 app manager, choosed the proposed maemo mapper 1.3.4 and it looks like it works perfectly. I imported my old maps (just moved my N770 RS-MMC to my N800 with an adapter) and reset my maemo mapper favourite settings. Tested with globalsat BT-359 bluetooth GPS.

gnuite, did you get a developper discount from Nokia yet?

gnuite
2007-01-18, 18:01
gnuite, did you get a developper discount from Nokia yet?
Nope... I don't know whether or not any 3rd party developer has received a discount yet... *shrug*

guerby
2007-01-18, 18:25
It looks like they will be send on Monday January 22d see
N800DeveloperDeviceProgram (http://maemo.org/maemowiki/N800DeveloperDeviceProgram)

"If you didn't get an invitation after the first wave and you *really* think to be in the group of top 500 humans deserving one, you will have an opportunity to push yourself as a candidate. More information will be provided next Monday 22nd."

fldude99
2007-01-30, 02:38
I have to thank gnuite for the mapper app..it downloaded and worked fine for my N800 and I'm a real newby with this thing..found out however that you really need to download from repository. Other than the mapping program..after a couple wks with this "toy", I really don't see much use for it..it doesn't do anything my laptop can't do and a LOT less-just a lot smaller. Anybody have any suggestions on what I'm missing with this gadget?

gnuite
2007-01-30, 03:55
I have to thank gnuite for the mapper app..it downloaded and worked fine for my N800 and I'm a real newby with this thing..found out however that you really need to download from repository. Other than the mapping program..after a couple wks with this "toy", I really don't see much use for it..it doesn't do anything my laptop can't do and a LOT less-just a lot smaller. Anybody have any suggestions on what I'm missing with this gadget?
You're right; Maemo Mapper is a lot like using Google Maps on a laptop, except that Google Maps requires constant access to the internet. With a GPS receiver, Maemo Mapper turns into one of those cell-phone-based Google Maps applications, because it can give you turn-by-turn directions to where you want to go. You do have a GPS receiver, right? Because, without a GPS receiver, I think Maemo Mapper would be more or less useless, except maybe as a map browser or as a novelty.

What exactly can you do with your laptop that you want to be able to do with Maemo Mapper? I'm always open to new ideas, although many ideas (like "integrate with kismet" or "render a 3D map") tend only to unnecessarily add memory and/or CPU requirements, and I prefer Maemo Mapper to be lean and mean.

Texrat
2007-01-30, 04:14
I think he means the internet tablet in general.

Heck I use it as it's intended: portable internet. The other day I was on the road and needed to know where a certain restaurant was. Connected my N800 to the 'net through my phone and bam, had it. Of course, I used Google maps... :o

fldude99
2007-01-30, 04:44
Texrat is correct..I mean the tablet in general. Regarding your situation on the road and needing to know where a certain restaurant was..that could have easily been accomplished by accessing the wireless internet on my cellphone..open google maps..do a quick search...and there you go..what advantage was it to use the N800?

gnuite
2007-01-30, 05:38
I guess my problem is that I don't have a cell phone. :)

midiwall
2007-01-30, 05:38
...accessing the wireless internet on my cellphone..open google maps..do a quick search...and there you go..what advantage was it to use the N800?The UI is possibly nicer than your cell, though I too have gotten pretty good at "dialpad text entry" on my cellphone.

I'm using the N800 for: A quick surf on the couch (more convenient than my PowerBook) for checking on an auction, forums, imdb during a movie, etc.
Less obtrusive to bring into a meeting to surf for facts or connect to my desktop and pull up a document
Hanging in the airport (games, surfing, etc)
Keeping a shell open to a process running on a remote machine while I wander in/out of the lab
Bluetooth on the road when I'm away from my CarPC
Storing tech docs while at a customer site
Audio note taking
Like you say, yes I could do all this with a laptop, but why lug 8lbs around when I can get away with a whole lot less? Sure, I'm not going to write a spec on it, or even do a post this size to a forum, but I've made notes in code during a meeting; started a build; programmed my TiVo; cleaned up a customer's hacked install...

I like the lil' fella'. But it may not be for you, and that's why you've got a return policy. :)

TA-t3
2007-01-30, 13:07
One thing I've used my TomTom nav. on the T3 for is to 'bookmark' shops and restaurants when I'm in a new town. Maybe I'm walking around town a Friday evening, trying to find an open restaurant to get something to eat. Often I will pass by interesting shops that I want to visit later, or other restaurants, pubs and so on. With the BT GPS in my pocket I just whip out the T3 and sets a 'favourite' in TomTom at the current GPS position. Later I can find it again. TomTom isn't really suited for this though, because the maps keep rotating when you try to find the way to the address later (rotating maps are good for driving, terribly for walking).
I don't know if "bookmarking" is possible in Mamo Mapper, but it's one of the more useful uses of GPS applications IMO.

fldude99
2007-01-30, 13:43
I think you can "bookmark" where you are by holding down on the stylus and create a POI on that spot.

Texrat
2007-01-30, 15:35
Texrat is correct..I mean the tablet in general. Regarding your situation on the road and needing to know where a certain restaurant was..that could have easily been accomplished by accessing the wireless internet on my cellphone..open google maps..do a quick search...and there you go..what advantage was it to use the N800?

(offtopic)

Cripes, the screen on my N80 phone is way too small for me to do that, and it's awkward to use that way. No thanks: I'll use it as a modem and read the N800's larger screen.

But that was simply one small example that came to mind. Recently my wife wanted to make some dish and needed the recipe. Instead of printing a few pages out that I might then lose or throw away, I searched the 'net using my N800, found the recipe, propped the tablet on the counter and away we went. Just one more small example out of way too many to list.

It's all about convenience for me.

And at the very least, when I'm waiting somewhere and my tablet is handy, a good game of Sudoku sure helps pass the time...

Back on topic, maemo mapper is an excellent use for the N800 IMO. I believe remote controls, gaming, motion detection and numerous other upcoming applications will definitely make it very useful to many people.

RussNelson
2007-09-22, 01:33
Anybody else having trouble with a *kaboom* problem? Whenever maemo-mapper loses contact with my GPS receiver, it crashes. Worse, it hasn't saved the track.

IMHO, the track should be flushed to disk every 10 seconds. Remember where the last point was written in the XML stream, seek back to that point, write out the new points &etc.

Then if you crash, no problem.

jweinel
2007-09-22, 12:14
I have the same problem and have learned to keep the receiver "near" my N800. It also helps to save your track periodically. I seem to recall that this is not really a "crash" but a program "feature" to save battery usage. Nevertheless, MM is truly a fantastic program IMHO and many, many thanks to gnuite for developing and maintaining it!

vtolkov
2007-09-25, 21:07
Anybody else having trouble with a *kaboom* problem? Whenever maemo-mapper loses contact with my GPS receiver, it crashes. Worse, it hasn't saved the track.
Exactly. The same if you just turn GPS off. This is the biggest problem. I was going to use N800 instead of Sony GPS tracker, but it seems unusable for now.

And what is the point of XML? Is it really useful to have XML for coordinates? Can't it just append coordinates to the file, instead of entirely rewriting it?