PDA

View Full Version : N800 Pros & Cons

JGreg
2007-01-11, 18:06
I have had the N800 for nearly 1 week and have a few comments. Wondered what other N800 owners were experiencing.

Pros:
1. Really like the form factor. IMO it is not ugly and seems to be well built.
2. Out of the box its easy to set up and begin using.
3. Has sufficient battery power for my purposes.
4. Wifi range is good.

Cons:
1. Wish Nokia had used a standard AC connector like the one on most of their regular handsets.
2. Plugged my ipod headset into the Nokia but only got sound out of one side.
3. Nokia not connect to internet thru my Blackberry Pearl. (real bummer)
4. Wish the soft case was a little nicer.

Other: Really wondering about the iPhone.

brendan
2007-01-11, 18:16
not that i have one yet, but the headphone issue...

doesnt the headphone have a mic built in? that would explain why you only get one channel to work with regular headphones. look at the nokia provided headphones plug. are there three grey/black plastic bands? they separate the channels, two for stereo output and one for mono input.

vision06
2007-01-11, 18:29
had that same headphone issue.. it seems that you have to push the jack into the socket all the way.

konfoo
2007-01-11, 19:14
Nokia sells a 1" coupler to go between the connector used on their standard chargers and the one used on the 770/800. I am using it combined with a USB charge cable and a travel AC adapter with USB out to charge my device from a wall socket or any device providing USB power.

The soft case sucks but there i always the hard cover with magnetic clasps that can be purchased..

Karel Jansens
2007-01-11, 20:43
Cons:
1. Wish Nokia had used a standard AC connector like the one on most of their regular handsets.

It is a standard AC connector; it just happens to be the latest kind.

Please don't plug iPod accessories into Nokias. It threatens the integrity of the universe.

Other: Really wondering about the iPhone.

Don't.

ioan
2007-01-11, 21:23
Don't.

Funny! :-)

here is a nice video about ipod and other DRM devices:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKI_w_VBoTQ

-i

Milhouse
2007-01-11, 22:28
Cons:

Recent Nokia phones that I have seen come with a charger that fits the 770 and N800 just fine. In fact just before Christmas I charged my 770 with the AC adapter from a Nokia 6111 phone (itself about 12 - 18 months old).

Cons:

Push the jack all the way in - it is a stereo output socket but if you only push the jack in half-way you only get mono output.

Texrat
2007-01-11, 22:31
Note: regarding the AC adapter, the small prong that the N800 uses is the new default. You will see fewer and fewer of the larger ones on Nokia products.

TA-t3
2007-01-12, 13:50
When I last looked at the 770 page at direct.nokia.com it (IIRC) was listed as coming with a little adapter that would let you use the new style chargers with old style devices.