PDA

View Full Version : Silverlight plugin?

ajamils
2010-01-14, 20:21
Is there a Microsoft Silverlight plugin for N900 ? I was trying to view hardrock cafe's memorabilia site and it asked me to install the plugin. When I tried installing it, it gave me an error saying this version of Linux is not compatible.

cddiede
2010-01-14, 20:23
Is there a Microsoft Silverlight plugin for N900 ? I was trying to view hardrock cafe's memorabilia site and it asked me to install the plugin. When I tried installing it, it gave me an error saying this version of Linux is not compatible.

Silverlight is a proprietary Microsoft technology.

Therefore, if MS hasn't decided to bless your particular Operating System (in the case of the N900 it would be Maemo Linux) then you can't get it.

Flash is the same way only with Adobe instead of Microsoft. The difference here is that Adobe has so far been kind to Maemo.

ajamils
2010-01-14, 20:25
aaahhh..... another reason to hate M$.

conny
2010-01-14, 21:40
Theoretically it would be possible to port Moonlight (http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight). However this probably needs serious work and I'm not aware of someone working on it.

Siggen
2010-01-14, 21:55
Theoretically it would be possible to port Moonlight (http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight). However this probably needs serious work and I'm not aware of someone working on it.

How well does moonlight work?

paulkoan
2010-01-15, 01:08
You are much better off contacting the site owner and expressing your dismay at silverlight.

We do *not* need another proprietary content plugin in our browsers. Look how long it has taken Adobe to get flash across a reasonable spread of operating systems out there - and still not on iphone.

Moonlight works on some silverlight content - the older the better really, and linux support will always trail behind newer releases.

rm42
2010-01-15, 14:35
How well does moonlight work?

It is and will most likely always be a full version or two behind Microsoft's implementation.

sadfist
2010-01-15, 14:38
Moonlight also doesn't support DRM, so no netflix streaming.