PDA

View Full Version : Want to start to develop on the N800

pure
2007-01-15, 18:15
Hi,

I would like to develop GUI applications for the N800 on the N800.

1. Which version of python should i install?

2. Are there any other libraries that i need on the N800 to be able to write GUI apps?

3. What editor is best to use? VI or VIM? it would be nice with syntax highlighting :-) ..

(4. Is it possible to do the above but code in C?)

Thanx!!

jpj
2007-01-15, 20:01
Go to maemo.org (the 770/N800 developer site) and read all about it!

konttori
2007-01-15, 22:57
I would install latest in the 2.4 branch at the moment.

I recommend pygame. Well, depending on what kind of app you are planning to use.

sqlite is another 'must have'.

I recommend developing as much on your desktop computer as possible and just search for a good ide for your OS.

Oh, and python is miles better for development than C, much faster to develop on and not that much slower to run.

pure
2007-01-16, 18:51
Thnx for the replyes..

I installed python runtime 2.5 and it worked. Tested with the hello world gtk app and it worked. Just got my BT nokia keyboard today and it was faster to use with text editing but the layout is a little different to a fullsize keyboard.

Did not find any text on the maemo website about any text editors with syntax highlighting. It seems like there is a VIM package but without syntax highlighting.

fpp
2007-01-16, 18:55
SciTe is a good fit for Python. It is available for OS2006, maybe that binary works on the N800 too ?

jurop88
2007-01-16, 19:35
SciTe is very good after some customization in the config file (for me font was way to little to be comfortable!), I made rapid hacks to Winzig using it.
It is rather slow under some circumstances and it needs a lot of ram. Could be an idea to compile a stripped-down version, perhaps with a better fitted toolbar... BUMP :-)!

pure
2007-01-19, 17:12
I tried SciTe and bumped the fonts up and it works fine but its a little bit slow. I

I noticed that there are gcc package available in the package management tool so is then possible to develop c apps on N800 and if so what libraries am i limited to?