PDA

View Full Version : [Boot Video] Maemo 5

Lacedaemon
2010-01-15, 23:51
Hello,

This boot video is made by Nokia and was used on the Maemo 5 videos which can be found on maemo.nokia.com (http://maemo.nokia.com/videos/).

All I did was to trim/convert the video so it can be used as boot video for our devices.

How to install:

PREVIEW OF BOOT VIDEO: MAEMO.AVI (http://share.ovi.com/media/Lacedaemon.Album1/Lacedaemon.10003)

1) Download default.conf (http://www.mediafire.com/?j2wwzmk5wyk) and maemo.avi (http://www.mediafire.com/?zglmdwizxtm) OR muted version: [ default.conf (http://www.mediafire.com/?gnzfmd3dm0o) & maemo_muted.avi (http://www.mediafire.com/?likdwojhdnz) ]
2) Copy these files on your N900's Documents folder
3) Open xterm and type (rootsh required):
sudo gainroot
mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/default.conf /etc/hildon-welcome.d/
mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/maemo.avi /opt/
cd /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/
ln -s /opt/maemo.avi maemo.avi

How to install MAEMO 2.avi:

PREVIEW OF BOOT VIDEO: MAEMO2.AVI (http://share.ovi.com/media/Lacedaemon.Album1/Lacedaemon.10004)

1) Download default.conf (http://www.mediafire.com/?leczkgzzzri) and maemo2.avi (http://www.mediafire.com/?bnzwm0zxwml)
sudo gainroot
mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/maemo2.avi /opt/
ln -s /opt/maemo2.avi maemo2.avi

Optified thanks to Flandry.
Quoting him:
"Be careful not to delete the movie file in opt. I don't know what happens if it fails to find a boot video... hopefully nothing at all, but i don't want to test".

If you want to revert back to the default nokia boot video(Hands-v32-h264.avi) copy this default.conf (http://www.mediafire.com/?duzyyyunbdk)
to your N900 Documents folder, open xterm and type:

sudo gainroot
mv home/user/MyDocs/.documents/default.conf /etc/hildon-welcom.d/

Enjoy.

biggzy
2010-01-16, 00:21
Very cool, cant wait till its optified to use, good work, i will be using this.

Rocketman
2010-01-16, 00:38
Yeah, I would quite like to see some other options for the boot video other than the quite literally paternalistic default one. Nokia is quite often accused of being arrogant and the default video doesn't exactly help. A lot of people were royally pissed off about Nokia's condescension towards the developing world in their CES presentation.

Lacedaemon
2010-01-16, 00:40
Updated first post on how to install it optified.

gviterbo
2010-01-16, 00:50
Thanks. Keep it up!

I'm using this now. I suggest that you modify it a bit to have a proper fade out because it ends so abrupt.

tissot
2010-01-16, 00:59
Yeah, I would quite like to see some other options for the boot video other than the quite literally paternalistic default one. Nokia is quite often accused of being arrogant and the default video doesn't exactly help. A lot of people were royally pissed off about Nokia's condescension towards the developing world in their CES presentation.
I'm totally lost with this one. How is the default video Nokia have been using on it's devices for more than 10 years arrogant :confused:
Anyways great work with the video.

bunanson
2010-01-16, 01:26
...If you want to revert back to the default nokia boot video(Hands-v32-h264.avi)....

you can 'comment' out the original line by adding a '#' in front of the original line
'filename = ' to become '#filename='; and add your file as the next line
'filename = the video file you want'

In this way, when you want to revert, you just have to 'uncomment' the 2nd line, original file, and 'comment' out the 3rd line, your file.

I would move out the Hands file somewhere else to save precious space.

bun

Bingley Joe
2010-01-16, 01:51
What are the 'accepted' encoding settings for a boot video? I've got one that I'm trying to get working, but when I upload it to the device, all I get is a blank screen..

So far I'm encoding as an h264/AVI with MP3 audio, so I can't quite figure out what's wrong, but video isn't my area of expertise.. does it have to be 800x480 or something?

TIA :)

Lacedaemon
2010-01-16, 12:21
I use xvid avi codec. I even increased the resolution and it worked.
Program used: iMedia converter

Bingley Joe
2010-01-16, 16:13
I use xvid avi codec. I even increased the resolution and it worked.
Program used: iMedia converter

Thanks -- I guess I just need to keep fiddling with it.

Lacedaemon
2010-01-16, 17:00
Thanks. Keep it up!

I'm using this now. I suggest that you modify it a bit to have a proper fade out because it ends so abrupt.

Yeah I tried to fade it out on Final Cut Pro but I am getting an error.
If anyone else knows how to do it, let me know.

plaban
2010-01-16, 19:57
looks nice.keep it up.
yes,the ending is abrupt. If possible upload high quality version of this video and add some effects.

diegofigueroa
2010-01-16, 21:08
Optified thanks to Flandry.
Quoting him:
"Be careful not to delete the movie file in opt. I don't know what happens if it fails to find a boot video... hopefully nothing at all, but i don't want to test".
Enjoy.

I have tried that (accidentally), and nothing bad happend, it just keep booting without problems. :)

misterm
2010-01-18, 18:12
So cool :) Works like a charm.

Lacedaemon
2010-01-18, 18:47
Soundless version added on first post.

Lacedaemon
2010-01-23, 22:25
Added another version:

How to install MAEMO2.AVI:

PREVIEW OF BOOT VIDEO: MAEMO2.AVI (http://share.ovi.com/media/Lacedaemon.Album1/Lacedaemon.10004)

1) Download default.conf (http://www.mediafire.com/?leczkgzzzri) and maemo2.avi (http://www.mediafire.com/?bnzwm0zxwml)
sudo gainroot
mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/maemo2.avi /opt/
ln -s /opt/maemo2.avi maemo2.avi

b666m
2010-01-23, 22:32
cool boot videos :)

i'd like to use the first one but the end is too abrupt :/
hopefully you or one of the users will find a way to fade it out nicely :)

biggzy
2010-01-23, 22:36
cool boot videos :)

i'd like to use the first one but the end is too abrupt :/
hopefully you or one of the users will find a way to fade it out nicely :)
Same here, love the first vid.

rapante
2010-01-23, 23:38
sweet work Lacedaemon! BIG thanks!

Janiminator
2010-01-30, 11:18
Hey Lacedaemon ... I know about a Matrix bott video ... Where can i download the Matrix boot video ?

Lg Jan. (Germany)

misterm
2010-01-30, 11:50
Here is a wallpaper/desktop set (http://www.twisted-promotions.nl/maemo5/Maemo5-Wallpaper-Nokia.zip) (.zip 224kb) that goes along with it.

http://www.twisted-promotions.nl/maemo5/Maemo5-Wallpaper-Nokia.jpg

Untouchab1e
2010-01-31, 11:21
I will see if I cant edit maemo.avi and add a nice fade effect!

Thanks very much for this though.. The Nokia handshake is getting rather old..

raddg
2010-02-02, 05:15
how bout a nokia fist bump?

vintc
2010-02-02, 17:39
Great work :)

luflux
2010-02-02, 17:41
Hey Lacedaemon ... I know about a Matrix bott video ... Where can i download the Matrix boot video ?

Lg Jan. (Germany)

Click on the links in his sig.

pagesix1536
2010-02-02, 20:43
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone in this thread, but here's a one-liner that you can use to create those symlinks for ALL videos you may have stored in your little optified area.

I created a subdirectory called /opt/bootvideos and have been collecting ones I see on the forums there. I like the idea of symlinking to save rootfs space, so wrote this to help out create them all on the fly.

for i in /opt/bootvideos/*; do ln -s $i /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/$(echo $i | awk 'BEGIN { FS="/" } ; { print $4 }'); done

The result is you get a directory that looks like this, and now can just use any video you want in your config file.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1457954 Feb 26 2009 Hands-v32-h264.avi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Feb 2 15:38 Maemo5Splash.avi -> /opt/bootvideos/Maemo5Splash.avi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Feb 2 15:38 maemo.avi -> /opt/bootvideos/maemo.avi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Feb 2 15:38 maemo2.avi -> /opt/bootvideos/maemo2.avi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 Feb 2 15:38 maemo_bright_xvid_lame_r1.avi -> /opt/bootvideos/maemo_bright_xvid_lame_r1.avi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Feb 2 15:38 maemo_dark_xvid_lame_r1.avi -> /opt/bootvideos/maemo_dark_xvid_lame_r1.avi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 Feb 2 15:38 maemo_flyby_xvid_lame_r3.avi -> /opt/bootvideos/maemo_flyby_xvid_lame_r3.avi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Feb 2 15:38 n900_TV.avi -> /opt/bootvideos/n900_TV.avi

slotti
2010-02-03, 02:29
Ok, so I did everything as described in the original post...Now I have no video at all. Any idea???
Help is appreciated.
Thanks

b666m
2010-02-03, 11:27
Ok, so I did everything as described in the original post...Now I have no video at all. Any idea???
Help is appreciated.
Thanks

same here... !?

b666m
2010-02-03, 12:12
copied the Hands-video to /opt/media/, deleted the media-folder in /usr/share/hildon-welcome/ and made a sym-link from /opt/media/ to media/ in hildon-welcome - didn't work as well...

but everything is shown fine in x-term... every file is there where it's supposed to be :/

EDIT:
is it possible that if you changed the indicator_updateX.pngs to something else with bigger filesize that it's too much data and the n900 isn't able to buffer everything and so just skips the video? o.O

b666m
2010-02-03, 12:34
*grmlz*
changed back to default images but it still won't show up. hmpf :(
help?! ^^

Lacedaemon
2010-02-03, 13:13
Are you sure you followed the instructions correctly?
I have tested it myself and it worked fine.

b666m
2010-02-03, 13:20
Are you sure you followed the instructions correctly?
I have tested it myself and it worked fine.

definately.
everything is placed correctly and the symlink-command also did it's job obviously.
don't know why it isn't loading at all.

i'll go back to default and check if the nokia hands are still playing.

b666m
2010-02-03, 13:28
ok... nokia hands video no longer shows up too....

mhm... i had powatool installed before but reverted the changes before i uninstalled it.... but maybe there went something wrong?

albeit... the only changes made by powatool where a new folder and a .disabled extension on the nokia hands video (it renamed the video so .avi.disabled so it wasn't loaded at bootup). but like i said: every single change is undone. o.O

i'm crawling in the dark ^^

Tjgib2001
2010-02-03, 13:48
hi guys is there anyway to get ya vid on using ssh, after a ton of readin i have figured out how to use it and its much easier, its more of a "windows" feel, the terminal just baffles me. so if it would be possible could ya please just tell me what to put where through winscp. i can find the folders and move whatever to whereever. and also i was wondering why cant i just remove the welcome video and just replace it with mine? doesnt it just play whatever vid is in that folder? i have tried this but it dont work, it just skips the vid i put in, but as soon as i put the original vid back it works, even if i name mine in the exact same way and encode it the same, how is that possible. anyway would appreciate any help thanx.

b666m
2010-02-03, 14:06
ok... nokia hands showed up again... i deleted the default.conf and made a new one in x-term with vim.... and taaaadaaaaaa... there it was :)
(maybe there was something wrong with the copied default.conf?!)

after that i edited the file and changed the name behind filename= to maemo.avi but that doesn't seem to work at all. :/

EDIT:
after all it worked but i don't know why it didn't at the first attemp. ^^
i only copied the video again to MyDocs and moved it from there to /opt/media/ (which i symlinked to /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/) and blapp.... the video showed up smoothly :D

strange behaviour though.... but now i'm happy ;D

Lacedaemon
2010-02-03, 15:02
hi guys is there anyway to get ya vid on using ssh, after a ton of readin i have figured out how to use it and its much easier, its more of a "windows" feel, the terminal just baffles me. so if it would be possible could ya please just tell me what to put where through winscp. i can find the folders and move whatever to whereever. and also i was wondering why cant i just remove the welcome video and just replace it with mine? doesnt it just play whatever vid is in that folder? i have tried this but it dont work, it just skips the vid i put in, but as soon as i put the original vid back it works, even if i name mine in the exact same way and encode it the same, how is that possible. anyway would appreciate any help thanx.

It can be done via SSH yeah, and there are instructions on other threads about it.
What you have to do is edit the default.conf file found on: /etc/hildon-welcome.d/

You want to change the name of the hands video with a custom one(for example boot.avi).
Then you need to place your custom boot video(e.g boot.avi) on: /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/

Tjgib2001
2010-02-03, 15:49
It can be done via SSH yeah, and there are instructions on other threads about it.
What you have to do is edit the default.conf file found on: /etc/hildon-welcome.d/

You want to change the name of the hands video with a custom one(for example boot.avi).
Then you need to place your custom boot video(e.g boot.avi) on: /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/

cheers ok i understand the placement and renameing. its just the editing the config file no idea how to do do that. do i just download the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread and replace it with that?

Lacedaemon
2010-02-03, 18:15
No, the one on this thread is supposed to be used with the boot video included in this thread.

If you want to use a different boot video, you need to edit the name of your default.conf file by yourself.
That can be done through your device terminal(you need leafpad or a different text editor application to do that) or via Terminal on Mac/Linux PC(sudo pico default.conf)

Tjgib2001
2010-02-03, 18:39
ohh right im starting to understand now. thanks for all your help and patience lacedaemon looks like i got a lot to learn i only know windows.

slotti
2010-02-03, 19:21
I have pretty much everything figured out by now. But here is the deal. The vids only show if I place them directly in the media folder. If I place them somewhere else e.g. /opt and link them into the media folder....no go. Nothing shows. Tried like 50 million times. Somehow my simlink won't work. Strange.
Guess I just have to use the space on my root (bummer, but for one vid not the end of the world).

slotti
2010-02-03, 20:06
after all it worked but i don't know why it didn't at the first attemp. ^^
i only copied the video again to MyDocs and moved it from there to /opt/media/ (which i symlinked to /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/) and blapp.... the video showed up smoothly :D

strange behaviour though.... but now i'm happy ;D
Same here. I tried to link into opt/ again...nothing. Created a dir called medie in opt/, moved the vid there and linked into /opt/media...voilą.
Does this make any sense? No. But this way my root is clean again. (weel except for the link, but that really doesn't take up much space).

wolf
2010-02-03, 21:12
ln -s /opt/maemo.avi maemo.avi
This is just an unneeded hassle. You can simply enter absolute path to the file in config and it will work. Something like this:

[hildon-welcome]
#filename=Hands-v32-h264.avi
filename=/opt/n900.avi

("#" is a comment).

raily
2010-02-04, 23:31
This is just an unneeded hassle. You can simply enter absolute path to the file in config and it will work. Something like this:

("#" is a comment).

i tried that too, because it seems so obvious, but does not work.

Ali
2010-02-05, 00:08
can i use this boot video also as shutdown video? if yes what exactly do i type in xterminal?

thanks.

Lacedaemon
2010-02-05, 12:38
Not sure, try this topic:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=14310

raily
2010-02-05, 15:47
I am not sure if this has already been answered before, but make sure your video is owned by root ("chown root video_name.avi"). That did it for me. Then you can just put it in /opt and set the absolute path in default.conf to it, just as wolf said.

NokiaRocks
2010-02-06, 16:59
Big Thx ! Well done.

Pfuh3z
2010-02-12, 21:55
Hi!

First of all, thanks for the clear guide of how to change the boot video. I did it by referring directly to my new boot video (stored in in /opt/bootmedia) in the default.conf, works perfectly. I did first make sure that my boot video was owned by root (checked using 'ls -l).

I do believe I found a small error in your commands to revert to the standard boot video:

If you want to revert back to the default nokia boot video(Hands-v32-h264.avi) copy this default.conf (http://www.mediafire.com/?duzyyyunbdk)
to your N900 Documents folder, open xterm and type:

sudo gainroot
mv home/user/MyDocs/.documents/default.conf /etc/hildon-welcom.d/

Enjoy.

I think "/etc/hildon-welcom.d" should be "/etc/hildon-welcome.d" there?

I also found out (by accident) that any .conf in the /etc/hildon-welcome.d directory is parsed during startup. I first created a default.conf_bckp file before changing anything, and then I noticed that both my new boot video (now in default.conf) and the original video (referred to in the backed up .conf) were shown during startup of my N900... Not that it's of any use but I thought I'd share it with you guys ;)

Once again thanks a lot, nice work!

EDIT: the multiple .conf files "trick" was already documented in some threads, hadn't seen them yet, sorry!

M A S T E R
2010-02-14, 00:24
PLEASE! I cannot seem to understand how to copy the OP as far as the code is concerned. I am a complete linux noob and i dont know what i am doing but i am definitely willing to try and experiment risky things as long as instructions are clear.

I have gone to sudo gainroot already but i am confused as to what i am supposed to put afterwards. I mean i see the code that is posted here however is that really what goes after the

/home/user #???

is that supposed to be there by default? sorry for the sillyness and if anyone wants to you can go ahead and just pm me to see how i am suppose to do this so i don't ruin this thread =l.

MASTER

Lacedaemon
2010-02-14, 19:01
Yeah, after using sudo gainroot it goes to /home/user by default.

Ali_rshojakhani
2010-02-15, 08:37

Then What? whatever i type just keeps on saying not found
maybe a screenshot would help...? ne way thnx lacedaemon.. its really impressive and looks great...

Either that or Permssion denied... and i have rootsh... and typed sudo gainroot

Ali_rshojakhani
2010-02-15, 09:15
Oh Got it... Tnx Again lacedaemon! Its Awsome

PipoXtreme
2010-02-15, 10:29
Hmm.. I try to swap the welcome movie.. but now the start movie is away and it works without as well .. the n900 start to the desktop without a start screen :o

But the maemo.avi (first silent movie) don`t play .. :confused:

I don`t know if I type something wrong in the xTerminal .. have anybody the same problem ?

Then What? whatever i type just keeps on saying not found
maybe a screenshot would help...? ne way thnx lacedaemon.. its really impressive and looks great...

Either that or Permssion denied... and i have rootsh... and typed sudo gainroot

And this problem I have as well... :(

NO WORRIES ! I `ve found the problem .. i just take the wrong AVI File . I put maemo.avi in the xTerminal but not maemo_muted.avi.. now it works..

alienson
2010-02-19, 14:44
the default.conf file has the video name set to maemo2.avi :D

[hildon-welcome]
filename=maemo2.avi

so just edit it to maemo.avi then it will work,

[hildon-welcome]
filename=maemo.avi

i had the same issue so i opened the default.conf and found that :D

enjoy it ;)

MaikB
2010-02-21, 09:00

Actually gainroot doesn't go anywhere, it sticks at the current dir. But since /home/user isn't root's home, it doesn't shortcut "/home/user" to "~".

koshnarek
2010-02-25, 02:55
Be careful when move the new avi for bootscreen, the permissions must be set: "chmod +r maemo.avi" ;)

sentfromheaven
2010-03-20, 20:20
Hi, well
i know this has already been posted
but im like at square one when it comes to this
iv d/led the two files,
and
been in xterminal
typed
sudo gainroot
and then do i just type the rest of the code
without pressing enter? or do i press enter?

maybe a 1 2 3 step guide for dummies like me? haha..

sorry for the hassle. thanks :)

Lacedaemon
2010-03-20, 21:26
Yes, you need to press enter on every line of code written on first post.

sentfromheaven
2010-03-21, 00:06
hi

i tried it, and got this msg
mv: cannot remove '/etc/hildon-welcome.d/MyDocs': Is a directory

mv: cannot remane ' .documents/default.conf' No such file or directory.

how ever i did download default.conf and maemo2.avi.

:S
thanks for the quick reply,

sentfromheaven
2010-03-21, 00:12
iv tried to redownload default.conf and it wont save anymore it says
/var/tmp/Y0Q0eAGu.txt.part could not be saved because an unkown error occured

try saving to a different location..

VDVsx
2010-03-21, 00:44
iv tried to redownload default.conf and it wont save anymore it says
/var/tmp/Y0Q0eAGu.txt.part could not be saved because an unkown error occured

try saving to a different location..

There's a control panel applet that allows to do that in a easy way: http://maemo.org/packages/view/bootscreen/

sentfromheaven
2010-03-21, 00:46
There's a control panel applet that allows to do that in a easy way: http://maemo.org/packages/view/bootscreen/

i dont know what im doing there :confused:
im such a noob at all this stuff.

Marveloso
2010-03-25, 14:36
PLEASE HELP! I am a complete Linux novice and i don't know what i am doing but i am definitely willing to try and experiment risky things as long as instructions are clear.

when starting up the device just a blank screen no nokia hands or my own vid....confused.com

sorry for the silliness and if anyone wants to you can go ahead and just pm me to see how i am suppose to do.