PDA

View Full Version : [Proposal pending] Enhancement idea for the N900 alarm and calendar snooze system

Jamil
2010-01-16, 08:56
Hello,

This is an enhancement idea for the Nokia N900 alarm and calendar snooze system.

When alarm fires (for Calendar or general Alarm), in addition to the usual single hit of the snooze button, it would be really useful if the user could press and hold the snooze button to change the snooze time, as you can with MS Outlook, for example.

Suggested snooze periods:
5 mins
10 mins
15 mins
30 mins
1hour
2hours
4hours
1 day
1 week
1 month

I suggest using a simply array of buttons set out in a grid to set the snooze time.

I look forward to hearing your comments on this.

And I really like the N900.

Thank you,
Jamil Shehadeh.

les_garten
2010-01-16, 09:00
VERY VERY Hnady Idea!

*Sonic*
2010-01-16, 09:34
I really like the fact that on my Blackberry I can pre-set the snooze time when setting the alarm and as low as 1 minute which I need to wake me up :)

I would love this feature to be implemented so a shorter snooze can be added

chemist
2010-01-16, 15:55
Please read the links in my signature!
And create a brainstorm item:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/create/default/

les_garten
2010-01-16, 18:14
Please read the links in my signature!
And create a brainstorm item:
I thought this was a Brainstorm?

puiradu
2010-01-20, 19:57
Hello,

This is an enhancement idea for the Nokia N900 alarm and calendar snooze system.

When alarm fires (for Calendar or general Alarm), in addition to the usual single hit of the snooze button, it would be really useful if the user could press and hold the snooze button to change the snooze time, as you can with MS Outlook, for example.

5 mins
10 mins
15 mins
30 mins
1hour
2hours
4hours
1 day
1 week
1 month

I suggest using a simply array of buttons set out in a grid to set the snooze time.

Thank you,
Jamil Shehadeh.

I also think that it will be a great idea if we can set the alarm for a birthday in the same day and not only a day before! Agree?

christoph
2010-01-20, 20:01
I use the snooze button when I wake up in the morning. I think two buttons are too much for my brain at that time. More than two definitely would be :-)

Sudisk
2010-01-20, 21:42
A possible addition : make the Alarm turn on the radio, with option to use the speaker or headphones (to connect to external speakers).

With that, I definitely get rid of my alarm clock :)

ViciousXUSMC
2010-01-20, 23:04
Hello,

5 mins
10 mins
15 mins
30 mins
1hour
2hours
4hours
1 day
1 week
1 month

Thank you,
Jamil Shehadeh.

??? snooze time of 1 month? 1 week? what the heck do you actually sleep that long? you must be a bear in hibernation :D

I do think its a good idea to be able to set the snooze time for each alarm when you initial setup that alarm, and be able to go back and modify it if you want just like the time & repeat dates.

Press & Hold seems a bit odd to me, the point of snooze to me is to make you get up but not make you get up right away, if you can easily change it on the fly you would be prone to set it for a long period.

Jamil
2010-01-20, 23:10
I use the snooze button when I wake up in the morning. I think two buttons are too much for my brain at that time. More than two definitely would be :-)

Hi,

Using my proposed system, the snooze would still work as it does now - with a simple tap of the snooze button.

The option to change the snooze period would only be available by pressing and holding the snooze button. This would bring up the array of options.

The idea of the extra choices is for times when you remind yourself to do something on a particular day at a certain time.

For example, you set an alarm to do something one evening. Come the evening, the alarm sounds but you're busy doing something else. No problem: you press and hold snooze and choose '1 day' - you'll be reminded to do it the next day.

I guess you can tell that I don't remember to do anything unless I remind myself to do it ;)

Cheers,
Jamil.

lowang35
2010-01-20, 23:12
Another nice addition would be to make the vibration unit turned off when the alarm goes off. I really like the stock Nokia wake up tune. But when the phone is lying next to my head with the vibrator on I face a rough and annoying morning where all I can think of is my dreams. I know I can just dissable it in the profile settings but then I have to turn it back on again, and since this device maintains itself so well... Why not let it dissable the vibrator by itself as well?

mysticrokks
2010-01-20, 23:14
one month snooze- maybe in my clubbing days, not sure many peple bar paul gascoigne or pete doherty would need that one.

Jamil
2010-01-20, 23:16
??? snooze time of 1 month? 1 week? what the heck do you actually sleep that long? you must be a bear in hibernation :D

I do think its a good idea to be able to set the snooze time for each alarm when you initial setup that alarm, and be able to go back and modify it if you want just like the time & repeat dates.

Press & Hold seems a bit odd to me, the point of snooze to me is to make you get up but not make you get up right away, if you can easily change it on the fly you would be prone to set it for a long period.

Bear in hibernation - good one :)

But seriously, as I said above, I'm really talking about calendar alarms, rather than the alarm that wakes you up. But as the system treats both the same way, it would work for both.

I use the calendar as on my phone as I use Outlook at work, to set reminders, and I just think this would be a really useful addition.

ViciousXUSMC
2010-01-21, 05:50
for the calender I would call that a reschedule or something rather than snooze, take an event and move it to a later date at the push of a button.

snooze is simply telling the alarm to hold off and ring again after X amount of time. made for snoozing :D

for calander you dont want the alarm to just ring again after X amount of time you want the entire event to move to a future date/time on the calender itself so you can see it on the calender and not have who knows how many hidden alarms running in the background in snooze mode to randomly go off again some time later.

So I think when you said snooze you really meant something else.

Jamil
2010-01-21, 09:24
for the calender I would call that a reschedule or something rather than snooze, take an event and move it to a later date at the push of a button.

snooze is simply telling the alarm to hold off and ring again after X amount of time. made for snoozing :D

for calander you dont want the alarm to just ring again after X amount of time you want the entire event to move to a future date/time on the calender itself so you can see it on the calender and not have who knows how many hidden alarms running in the background in snooze mode to randomly go off again some time later.

So I think when you said snooze you really meant something else.

Yes ok, I agree. It would be better if the actual event/reminder moved in the calendar to the new time. But it should happen transparently/automatically, with a simple two-press operation:
- press and hold 'snooze',
- and choose 'snooze' time using the array I suggested.

The now 'moved' event would then pick up the regular snooze preset of, say, 10 mins.

Having said that, I'm not sure that events are moved in MS Outlook (which was the basis of the enhancement) when a long 'snooze' is used.

Anyway, what does [Proposal pending] mean? Does it mean that this idea may get consideration?

ViciousXUSMC
2010-01-22, 05:35
Proposal pending means its waiting for somebody to propose a solution (or create a brainstorm as I do not see the link for it in your post)

I would probably edit the brainstorm to say something like "use snooze button to postpone/reschedule calender events" as that sounds almost exactly like what your trying to do.

Then you can post your own solution to the problem (the one you already stated press & hold etc)

From there the solutions get voted on and sit there until a developer picks it up and decides he knows how to implement it.

Jamil
2010-01-22, 13:10
Proposal pending means its waiting for somebody to propose a solution (or create a brainstorm as I do not see the link for it in your post)

I would probably edit the brainstorm to say something like "use snooze button to postpone/reschedule calender events" as that sounds almost exactly like what your trying to do.

Then you can post your own solution to the problem (the one you already stated press & hold etc)

From there the solutions get voted on and sit there until a developer picks it up and decides he knows how to implement it.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I thought I had actually started a 'Brainstorm' when I started this post. What a noob ...

Thanks also for the new suggested title. That's exactly what I should have called it in the first place.

I've just gone to http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/create/default/ to start the brainstorm but I can't log in. I registered with 'garage', whatever that is, but when I log in it says password invalid - and there isn't a 'forgotten password' link, so I'm a bit stuck.

This forum does seem to have quite a few different log ins ...

Jamil
2010-01-24, 23:00
Hi.

Can someone please tell me where I should register to create a Brainstorm?

I registered at Maemo Garage but that login doesn't work when I go to the Create Brainstorm page. I've already got two logins for this forum but none of them works. And like I said earlier, there's no 'forgotten password' link on the login page - this page:

If you think I'm too simple to use this forum, feel free to flame me ...

Thanks,
Jamil.

sconf
2010-02-19, 11:44
Hi,
any luck creating brainstorm? I think the ability to create event with pre-defined alarm snooze times or selecting snooze time when acknowledging would be really useful.

Solution could be either in default calendar application or separate application. Do you think this should be individual brainstorm or should we propose solutions to

http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/improving_the_calendar_in_n900/

Maybe both...

Jamil
2010-02-19, 12:53
Hi,
any luck creating brainstorm? I think the ability to create event with pre-defined alarm snooze times or selecting snooze time when acknowledging would be really useful.

Solution could be either in default calendar application or separate application. Do you think this should be individual brainstorm or should we propose solutions to

http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/improving_the_calendar_in_n900/

Maybe both...

I finally managed to log in to the Brainstorm area.

I added my Snooze enhancement idea to the "improving_the_calendar_in_n900" Brainstorm, suggested above. It's #34.

http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/improving_the_calendar_in_n900/?solution=enhancement_to_snooze_system

Uxi
2011-01-12, 00:41
I think 1-12 minutes should be discrete options. I like selecting 7 minute snooze on my Symbian phones. 5 or 10 is such an arbitrary limit... 10 is too long but 5 too short

fahadj2003
2011-01-12, 08:00
5 mins
10 mins
15 mins
30 mins
1hour
2hours
4hours
1 day
1 week
1 month

sleeping beauty's n900 had a snooze period of 1 month..
trust me, it didnt turn out so well in the end..