PDA

View Full Version : USA Nokia 770 Now Available for Pre-order

DrSethMD
2005-11-14, 21:15
CHECK IT OUT http://www.nokiausa.com/770

newsbot
2005-11-14, 21:16
http://www.internettablettalk.com//images/misc/770order.jpg
For those who want to, you can now pre-order the Nokia 770 in the USA. The Nokia 770 is selling for $359.99 and will be available by November 17.Buy one now (http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/nonactivated_select_carrier/1,1891,phonecode:770,00.html)...Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/138)

DrSethMD
2005-11-14, 21:17
hehe i beat you, news blog, by 1 minute :-p

Reggie
2005-11-14, 21:38
Shipping can be changed via phone support. Overnight shipping is of course more expensive.

Concrete Donkey
2005-11-14, 21:59
HOLY SHITES!

pre-ordering now...

Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
2005-11-14, 22:13
I just ordered 5! Now everyone in the office can play! :)

RogerS
2005-11-14, 22:39
I wonder if yours is the largest order so far?

Can't wait to see what you guys can develop for this marvel.

Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
2005-11-14, 22:39
Got my order confirmation email back from Nokia USA. Seems like the day is finally near! Can't wait to join the ranks of the 770-tableted!

bennard
2005-11-14, 22:54
I can hardly contain myself! (http://resources.bravenet.com/audio_clips/comedy_clips/ren__stimpy_-_stimpy_-_i_can_hardly_contain_myself/listen/)

I've been waiting for this for so long. Can't wait until ? :D

sigger
2005-11-15, 00:55
Just placed the order 30 min ago.

Now... somehow... the world... it seems... a happy place.

Thanks for letting us know Dr Seth and Reggie!

GLeoni
2005-11-15, 02:09
Just placed a phone order. They told me that they will verify credit card information only after the 770 is in stock (presumably 17th). It takes 2 days to verify credit card info (again, after the 770 is in stock) and then an additional 3 days (free delivery).

Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
2005-11-15, 02:57
Hi Roger,

I wonder if yours is the largest order so far?

Can't wait to see what you guys can develop for this marvel.

We decided to get another 5 units today after ordering the first lot of 5. Three reasons for the second order:

1. The Nokia USA online ordering system only allows you to place an order up to $2K per transaction. 5 Units, with tax and shipping, came in just under that. We had another manager in another department order the other 5 units for their team/testing.
2. Given the supply issues already witnessed in EU, we thought it better to get a few extras now so our development and design teams can have their own units; having them in hand and playing around with them at home/at leisure will help us gain a faster appreciation for what's working, what else is being developed out there we can leverage, and hopefully spark some great ideas from our people for ways to use the N770s in mobile learning and performance support (our markets).
3. If past history holds true in the new innovation arena, customers will want to see them and try them out for a few days to experience the benefits first hand. We'll be able to send them units to test for a week if we've got a few hanging around.

We'll see what happens. We're excited and will certainly share our findings and thoughts with everyone here along the way as they have through all the recent weeks/months. This site has been a great resource to us to learn about the device and market.

Keep up your great efforts in building this community.

Robert ;?)

shonk
2005-11-15, 03:21
Sweet...just placed my order.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Larry
2005-11-15, 04:08
Ordered mine this morning, figure that if they ship on the 17th as promised, it could be here friday...

Anticipation...

DaveC
2005-11-15, 09:49
OK, I'm in for one too, just ordered one an hour ago. Wish I had found this posting earlier yesterday. Hopefully, I'm early enough not to be shut out on the first orders shipped.

I actually have a buddy who works for Nokia who might be able to get me one, but I'm not taking a chance and waiting on the unguaranteed bro-deal. Besides, got plenty of friends/family who will likely want one that it won't be a problem uloading one on someone if I get a duplicate...who knows, maybe I'll want more than one? : )

Dave

philmcneal
2005-11-15, 10:21
i wonder if us canadians can order lol

paden45
2005-11-15, 13:33
Looks like news of the 770 has hit the mainstream press. See the Forbes online article at:http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2005/11/14/nokia-tablet-computer-cx_rr_1115nokia.html?partner=yahootix

Titus
2005-11-15, 13:48
Looks like news of the 770 has hit the mainstream press. See the Forbes online article at:http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2005/11/14/nokia-tablet-computer-cx_rr_1115nokia.html?partner=yahootix

Thanks, an interesting article.
I just love Richi Jennings's comment: “But geek-lust isn't the mass market.” So true, and I confess my geekiness for this device.

Another interesting quote:
"And it is rugged. In a gutsy demonstration, a Nokia executive hurtled one of the sturdy black devices across the room, where it crashed into a wall, undamaged."

Has any fellow Internettablettalk geek tried this trick ;)

TripleNickle
2005-11-15, 18:53
Well.. I bit the dust and ordered! Got the $50.00 off coupon and ordered a car charger too...The $50.00 off worked for me this way... go through the whole process...including REVIEW ORDER.. then hit the back button for your browser and the $50.00 off coupon pops up.. you have to turn off your pop-up blocker.. awesome...so for $13.00 more I get a Nokia 770 instead of a Palm T/X ! I ordered the car charger separate.

ChuckP
2005-11-16, 04:37
I ordered mine early this morning, Nokia told me it didn't come with a mem card, so I bought a 128MB stick. I have to call them tommorow to cancel that order.

nelsonic
2005-11-17, 22:40
The Nokiausa site is now showing the 770 backordered until 12/14/2005.

Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
2005-11-17, 22:46
The Nokiausa site is now showing the 770 backordered until 12/14/2005.

Where are you finding this announcement? Can you throw me a link?

Thanks in advance.

*** Okay, I just saw the post in the BLOG. Sorry for the distressed plea for help and thx to Eye Surgeon for their great investigative talents.

RogerS
2005-11-18, 00:30
Robert,

Don't mean to make you wander all over the place here. :-)

We cover a lot of ground here, but you will probably want to subscribe to planet.maemo.org for a wider spectrum of info. And the blog entries show up there too.

Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
2005-11-18, 02:46
No sweat at all and thanks for the instructions too. I was just all over the map today looking for tidbits of any truth to what we're all experiencing and frustrated with.

The 770 will arrive at some point and surely be worth the wait.

:p

RogerS
2005-11-18, 05:34
See the blog update (http://www.internettablettalk.com/blog/?p=164) for the latest good news in the good-news/bad-news pendulum: units received and shipping to pre-orders. :)

melody
2005-11-18, 06:12
See the blog update (http://www.internettablettalk.com/blog/?p=164) for the latest good news in the good-news/bad-news pendulum: units received and shipping to pre-orders. :)

Ok. I've got my fingers crossed. *crossed fingers* *crossed toes*

Mel

konttori
2005-11-18, 09:01
Just a thought, but as Nokia signed a deal recently with any adsl operator to provide 770 to their customers? Because a months delay does sound like they were stacking 770s for something. Otherwise they would be making smaller deliveries every week or so.

mika
2005-11-18, 12:53
At least wanadoo has inked the deal. So if they have ordered couple thousands 770, it will take week(?) to stack that order.

ToddL
2005-11-18, 19:25
I just spoke with a rep at the 888-256-2098 number (which arrived via e-mail after I placed my order last Tuesday), and she also said that the shipment hadn't arrived yet, and orders wouldn't be filled until December.

I asked if "until December" meant "by the end of November (e.g., by December 1)" or "sometime in December" and she said it could be either.

I asked if they were getting a lot of calls about this today, and she said yes.

I asked how many orders had been placed, and she said around 800.

I was like, "You mean 800 eight hundred? Not 800,000 but just eight hundred?" and she was like, "Yeah, eight hundred."

Jeeeeez. Not enough 1000 units arrived to the U.S. yet.

rgbyhkr
2005-11-18, 19:44
I wouldn't be surprised by that. The Blog section had a link to an interesting article about the market impact of the 770:

http://www.cellnn.com/2005/11/15/nokia-770-mini-tablet/

Here are a few quotes from that article:

"“I just don’t get a good feeling about [the 770],” says Ferris Research analyst Richi Jennings, who adds that the device could appeal to some technology enthusiasts. “But geek-lust isn’t the mass market.”"

and

"okia brings the new device to market at a time when sales of hand-held devices such as Palm personal digital assistants and Pocket PCs are down 22% over last year, according to IDC. Moreover, similar devices from Sharp, Toshiba (other-otc: TOSBF - news - people ) and Sony (nyse: SNE - news - people ) have failed. With the holiday gift-buying season already here, the 770 is unlikely to appear on many wish lists."

delays in availability certainly don't help with the above

and

"As for the 770, Ambrosio says Nokia probably intends to ship only few hundred thousand of the $350 device, while a blockbuster cell phone might sell 10 million units. Because the 770 won’t be sold through a cell-phone carrier, Ambrosio expects sales to be weaker.

Jennings agrees: “Nokia works most successfully when they have a channel relationship with a partner. It is systemic in their organization.” "

I'm buying one and will impatiently wait until it is delivered. However, I have commented on the difficulty Nokia has in marketing a device like this. I've also mentioned what I feel to be mistakes in the product's launch which I feel could damage it's long-term success. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped by Nokia within 12 to 18 months. I hope I'm wrong, but I could see it happening.

Jeff

TripleNickle
2005-11-18, 20:47
Well... I just cancelled !

I wanted the 770 for a trip the week of Nov 28, so I THOUGHT I was getting it next week but in light of recent events, thats not going to be the case. The lady just told me (at the Nokia 888 number) that they expect stock in a week.. and maybe ship the week of the 28th...which is too late for me. I'll see it at CES..I guess...maybe????

RogerS
2005-11-18, 20:49
Jeff, you may have hit on something that came up months ago, like May and June, when the device was first announced. Nokia is basically selling this device only direct, and some analyst(s) pointed out that Nokia makes the bulk of its sales selling to the wireless telco's and not direct to customers. Or maybe that's the case in the U.S. (been a while since I read this).

So indeed more of the problem might be attributed to Nokia's inexperience in, or lack of focus on, this channel. At least, more than I was previously attributing.

Hedgecore
2005-11-18, 21:23
Their sales infrastructure definately seems to be based on region-based product (say, like, cell phones?) I'm still dumbfounded that a product like that can't be sold cross-border between Canada and the U.S. I'm not a cell-phone buff, but I doubt there's much difference between general product availability.

rgbyhkr
2005-11-18, 21:50
Jeff, you may have hit on something that came up months ago, like May and June, when the device was first announced. Nokia is basically selling this device only direct, and some analyst(s) pointed out that Nokia makes the bulk of its sales selling to the wireless telco's and not direct to customers. Or maybe that's the case in the U.S. (been a while since I read this).

So indeed more of the problem might be attributed to Nokia's inexperience in, or lack of focus on, this channel. At least, more than I was previously attributing.

Yeah, I saw some of those same reports when it was first announced way back in May (seems like ages ago, doesn't it?). I think it all speaks to the tough uphill battle they have in making the 770 a success. That's whay I don't hold high hopes for an out of the park success. The huge upside is, however, that the open source platform allows for development and longevity of the 770 even if Nokia dumps it and that's why I have no problem forking over $350. I already have a 1GB RS-MMC and a spare BP-5L battery waiting for its arrival.

Now, if we can only get JavaVM ported over ASAP... :D

Jeff

ChuckP
2005-12-06, 05:50
NOKIA Bring This Device to Me!