PDA

View Full Version : N800 with Bose headphones won't work :-(

W1NDRUSH
2007-01-16, 14:36
How annoying is this. I've got some new Bose noise cancelling headphones and the jack for the nokia supplied ones is not the same, consequently the 'noise' coming from the Bose is nothing like it should be. I've had a look on maplin for the 'nokia way' without any luck. Anyone used their own headphones to good effect, or know where i might purchase a converter ?

:mad:

Andrew

fredoll
2007-01-16, 14:52
The N800 headphones must have a special (4 contacts) jack has it sports also a microphone.
Usually those plugs are downward compatible to standard (3 contacts) stereo jacks. I suppose if it were not Nokia would have specified it in the documentation ?

Fred

W1NDRUSH
2007-01-16, 14:56
Hmm, the Bose only have 2 contacts, I think the Nokia is a 3 contact plug

thorbo
2007-01-16, 15:03
Just tested my Bose headphones, and they worked a charm. I have noticed, though, that you must push "hard" (i.e. harder than plugging those headphones into some other sockets) in order to make them seat. It sounded great.

Thor

W1NDRUSH
2007-01-16, 15:16
Thor,
Thx for the reply, I did push them in hard. Do you have V2 or V3 of the headphones, I actually have both, so will test V2 this eve.

Andrew

W1NDRUSH
2007-01-16, 16:06
I've found the correct jack plyg, Bose have a lead which is specifically for use with a phone. another £35 for this will fix my problem, although not my wallet. :)

Thanks Guys

thorbo
2007-01-16, 16:09
Have V2 of the headphones. Have you tried some other non-Nokia headphones as well? Perhaps some earbuds or something, they should all work the same. I have also tested those with great results. The "forth" division on the Nokia cord is the mic, so not fitting in as "deep" should give you the ground and the left and right channels with no problem, regardless of the headphone type. All the sound cancelling of the bose is done onboard (obviously) so the interface to standard equipment is the same everywhere -- it could be you have something wrong with your socket, but if that were the case you would not be able to hear stereo music with the supplied headphones either.

Regards,

Thor

howardcb
2007-01-16, 17:02
I found the same problem with the Bose QC3 headphones. However, the Bose earbuds work fine. I did some further testing, and I found that I had noise problems with any type of powered unit - this includes the noise cancelling headphones, external battery powered speakers, and a FM transmitter for car use. I assume it's some kind of grounding problem.

Howard

W1NDRUSH
2007-01-16, 20:49
It would appear to be the Bose QC-3. the QC-2's work fine. Maybe the new lead will fix things. At least it wasn't the device, I had visions of wrapping it back up and sending off never to be seen again........

TA-t3
2007-01-22, 11:52
FWIW, the N800 works very well with my AKG 240S 55 ohm headphones (they are slightly heavy to drive, but the N800 has no problems). The plug needs a little force though, as has been mentioned by other posters.

skynetos
2007-01-22, 12:42
I recently used my Bose QC3's with my Nokia n800 and I had the same sound problems. The QC3 jack and other regular headphone jacks are exactly the same. The QC2's my father has also work JUST fine and have the same jack as well. I have no idea why the QC3's experience this problem however the QC3's come with an airplane adapter that has a stereo jack on its side. I actually plugged my QC3's into this Bose adapter then plugged that into my n800 and the sound problems went away.

Why? I have no idea. I only use the QC3's on airplanes anyways and all other headphones work fine so it is not a huge deal.

midiwall
2007-01-22, 20:54
My buddy here has the QC3's and I just borrowed them to test.

They work "fine" (no adapter necessary), but you have to crank the volume on the N800 MediaPlayer _ALL_ the way up in order to get enough signal to them. The technology behind the Bose's is such that you need an input signal that's much hotter than the ambient noise so that it can do the comparisons.

If the input signal is too quiet, then you'll hear "static", and the source material will be pushed into the background.