PDA

View Full Version : Nokia n900 just for wifi with boost mobile

armandomadrigal
2010-01-17, 23:56
I recently posted a thread on the Nokia's use for only wifi, but I didn't get a straight answer( can i just use it for wifi without sim card?).aNYWAYS,I came accross this page
http://news.cnet.com/surveillance-state/?keyword=Internet+tablet
What it says is that if you only use it for wifi and other apps, then get the boost mobile prepaid plan on payas you go with 20$ every 90 days. And it basically hacks into its web through bluetooth.
i'm thinking, is it possible with the N900 or is it only for the N800?
and thoughs?

Klowner
2010-01-18, 22:33
Yes you can use it with wifi without a sim card.

From what I can tell, that article is describing tethering your Nokia tablet device to a Boost mobile pre-paid phone via bluetooth dial-up networking. If you can do it with an N800, then you should be able to do it with an N900 as well.

YoDude
2010-01-19, 02:36
Yes you can use it with wifi without a sim card.

From what I can tell, that article is describing tethering your Nokia tablet device to a Boost mobile pre-paid phone via bluetooth dial-up networking. If you can do it with an N800, then you should be able to do it with an N900 as well.

You can after istalling Bluetooth dial up networking on the N900
Regard! The connection is a slow one.

sjgadsby
2010-01-19, 02:39
...get the boost mobile prepaid plan on payas you go with 20$ every 90 days.

You can go as low as $10 every 90 days.

somedude
2010-01-19, 04:26
goodluck tethering with boost. most of its handsets wont allow dun, being iden phones which has long way to go for getting dun and 3g. uptil now the best speed u can get through boost is 20kbps.
if u dont really need a cell phone dont get any, use n900 just as any tablet, for some things u might need a simcard and it doesnot have to be activated. u can just buy tmobike sim only for 10bucks which also comes with the prepaid phone, just dont activate the sim and stick it in and enjoy your n900 tablet.

armandomadrigal
2010-01-19, 08:43
hey Somedude well I was wondering about the speed as well, I was going to use this tool because i'm tied to 60bucks a month cell plan and with skypeln and skypeout i was thinking it would be cheaper to just use that as an alternative, but not as a main voip phone. thanks. i'll try and do this on youtube so you all can see the speed. thanks

sjgadsby
2010-01-19, 16:32
goodluck tethering with boost. most of its handsets wont allow dun...

Yes, you're not going to have much luck with any of the phones Boost offers directly. Instead, you'll need to purchase a DUN-capable iDEN phone off eBay or the like.

...uptil now the best speed u can get through boost is 20kbps.

And for me, achieving even that was rare. I had a WiDEN-capable phone, so the phone itself could handle up to 100 kbps. The WiDEN network is long gone though, and I generally managed only 9 to 16 kbps with Boost.

...I was wondering about the speed as well, I was going to use this tool because i'm tied to 60bucks a month cell plan and with skypeln and skypeout i was thinking it would be cheaper to just use that as an alternative, but not as a main voip phone.

You're not going do VoIP on iDEN, sorry. Text-only email, IM, and light web browsing (with image loading disabled) go okay.

hangster
2010-01-19, 16:40
The i335 is a nice choice. Still on sale too. I have tried tethering it to my n900 and it works fine. Only for light email checking or IM though. Anything else takes ages.

armandomadrigal
2010-01-19, 19:19
oh i see, hey another thing, how's the wifi-range strenght?
I go to a college that offers free wifi, i'm usually out in the open area, will the n900 easily pick up the signal?

lemmyslender
2010-01-19, 19:41
Check here for some info on using the N900 on TMobile pre-paid link (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37887)

It can work out depending on what your needs are.