PDA

View Full Version : Make a guess..

mika
2005-11-15, 07:51
What is the amount of orders of 770 globally? Out of stock in EU, and pre-orders can be made in the USA.

I will start and say: hmm in EU 30 000..and in the USA 10 000.
Does that sound reasonable?

Bill
2005-11-15, 08:27
My guess much less. You have to take into account that the unit is not being promoted actively (no full page ads or anything, only word of mouth) at this time by Nokia, and at this time can only be bought directly from them.

JPB
2005-11-15, 12:24
What is the amount of orders of 770 globally? Out of stock in EU, and pre-orders can be made in the USA.

I will start and say: hmm in EU 30 000..and in the USA 10 000.
Does that sound reasonable?

I have been asking myself the same question.
My guess is waaaaaay less, my guess for Belgium is 10, yes TEN.
Same kind of numbers for other EU countries.

They were sold out almost immediately. I ordered mine on Friday 24 hours after launch and on Tuesday they were out of stock.

For total of EU I would say about 300.

My Logic tells me if there where much more we would have seen much more picts and owners users in this forum.

I haven't seen it anywere yet in written press.
A major Nokia dealer store in Brussels was even surprised when I showed them the tablet. They don't have a clue when they will get it.

I don't believe the major programs are ready yet. For example accessing your Contacts or Ical calendar on the SIM card. Very strange that that isn't there.
Basically Nokia already has a PIM in the phone.

I believe since the introduction was already postponed, they finally decided to put a few in the market silently.
Then see what happens (in the forum) and then do the right thing for Marketing purposes.

For example lots of people here try to compare it with a stand alone PDA or want to turn it into a PDA loaded with a lot of programs. However I believe it is made to acess all the new online applications and work in combination with your Nokia phone.
For example I believe there is no Mic (even if some people say there is)
When they launch VOIP in 2006, you select your friend on your phone and choose if you want to call him on GSM or VOIP. connecting true Bluetooth and making the connection with Wifi. Instead of a Bluetooth ear/mouth adapter. You talk true the phone and work on the tablet.

Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
2005-11-15, 12:56
I'm in agreement with JPB. Its probably a very limited supply "on both sides of the pond" in order to seed the market quietly, gain some insights from an extended developer and user community, and buying some additional time to iron out the rough edges before a grander release and marketing blitz around New Year? CES?. Perhaps a couple thousand units total would be my guess.

Regarding JPB's comment on driving some apps only via connectivity to Nokia phone via BT, I'll agree on that too. Two of our team have puchased new Nokia phones this week in anticipation of using the BT to phone/GPRS when wifi isn't available and previous reports on this site seem to indicate this connectivity was seamless with Nokia devices and not necessarily so with phones from other vendors. So, Nokia succeeds in doubling their revenues on us on that front (once you add in cost of the phone, batteries, car charger, etc.).

All in all, we're still excited about being in the vanguard with the rest of this community helping to "beta test" the offer and make it better.

Robert :?)

dsmudger
2005-11-15, 13:26
Propose we start a straw poll of order numbers? :)

Mine, ordered when in stock from the UK site on the Friday just after 8am (London time), was 200241 (got it Monday around 4pm).

I assume they started from 200000 - so if we can find the lowest number that was an 'out of stock' order - we'll get a pretty good idea :D

On a tangent: my delivery number was something like 128013 - makes me think perhaps I was the 241st person to oder overall, and maybe the 13th to have it despatched for delivery in the UK?

gareth
2005-11-15, 13:33
My order number was 200884, order placed late Sunday afternoon.

Gareth

RealNitro
2005-11-15, 13:40
I have been asking myself the same question.
My guess is waaaaaay less, my guess for Belgium is 10, yes TEN.
Same kind of numbers for other EU countries.
Well, you got one in Belgium, I got one too (at about the same time like you), that's two. I know a few people who got theirs earlier with the developer code aswell.
For example lots of people here try to compare it with a stand alone PDA or want to turn it into a PDA loaded with a lot of programs. However I believe it is made to acess all the new online applications and work in combination with your Nokia phone.Good point.

The 770 was the right device for me because I wanted a portable device that enabled me to read electronic documents (pdf's, html; ebooks, API's, howto's, courses, ...) and the 770 with its 800x480 screen was the perfect solution.

gristle
2005-11-15, 14:00
Ordered mine on the 4th (Friday) got it on the 8th (Tuesday).
Order no 200375 to the UK.

Bill
2005-11-15, 14:28
Mine was 200087, ordered Thursday evening (3rd), UPS somehow lost the adreslabel ;-(
Thus I got it on Tuesday 8th.

JPB
2005-11-15, 15:06
Ah, interesting:
My Order number is : 200702 SO - order date 05/11/05

Item N0 0279325 (BE,NL;CH,LU) SU-18
It is also interesting that I have a Qwerty keyboard but in Belgium the standard is Azerty.

WillS
2005-11-15, 17:54
Interesting, I wonder where the cut off point for stock was?

Order No: 201095
Ordered on the 7th, not due until end November :-(

Does this mean they had approx between 700 and 1000 for the EU?

andymulhearn
2005-11-15, 18:48
Mine was 200087, ordered Thursday evening (3rd), UPS somehow lost the adreslabel ;-(
Thus I got it on Tuesday 8th.

Just after mine - 200082.

wweg
2005-11-15, 22:34
Order Date: 03/11/05

Order Number: 200078

Ordered from Finland

fietske
2005-11-15, 22:51
got it on Nov 8 (holland)

avdigital
2005-11-16, 08:21
Order Date: 15/11/05
Oder Nr: 2026xx

Ordered it from The Netherlands.

Mathieu
2005-11-16, 08:25
200062 for me... and still waiting :(
(ordered from France)

dsmudger
2005-11-16, 11:43
My order number was 200884, order placed late Sunday afternoon.

Gareth
Did you get yours Gareth?

We now know that Nokia were out of stock by order no. 201095 (thanks WillS!!). Given that there is apparently no split by country (e.g. it could have been 200xxx for UK, 300xxx for Belgium etc), it seems that there were almost certainly 1000 units available/sold in the whole of Europe in that first batch... (makes me feel very lucky to have one :) )

Keep the numbers coming in (well actually we're most interested in those just under, or just over, 201000!!), and mention whether it was an in-stock or out-of-stock order :)

Thanks to all who submitted their numbers!

konttori
2005-11-16, 11:51
I wonder if the developers had a different numbering scheme or not.
It is ideed obvious that Nokia is not intending this to be a mass product. I wonder what is their selling target for this or are they just testing the ice on this new product category as well as maybe improving in house knowledge on Linux and getting the maemo platform to work.

mika
2005-11-16, 13:03
Nokia has a habit to improve products in small steps and because there will be OS 2006, there has to be new products coming. I'm wondering about R&D costs of this device, to be profitable selling numbers should be quite high, eventhough software engineering is "cheap" in Finland. E.g there are a course in Tampere University of Technology (advanced software engineering) where they are doing some programs to 770.

Maybe Nokia will use Linux in cellphones within few years. Who knows?

elwood
2005-11-16, 13:16

We now know that Nokia were out of stock by order no. 201095 (thanks WillS!!). Given that there is apparently no split by country (e.g. it could have been 200xxx for UK, 300xxx for Belgium etc), it seems that there were almost certainly 1000 units available/sold in the whole of Europe in that first batch... (makes me feel very lucky to have one :) )

Keep the numbers coming in (well actually we're most interested in those just under, or just over, 201000!!), and mention whether it was an in-stock or out-of-stock order :)

I ordered on friday 4th. The order number is 200444 and it was already out of stock.

StevenS
2005-11-16, 13:31

I've got number 200514 (from Germany) with state "out of stock" on Nov 4th. I'm pretty sure they never had a single one in stock for Germany, France and Austria. Even when the Nokia order page was announced Nov 3rd they where out of stock for these countries.
So, you have to recalculate your guess ...

Nokia sent me an email that the devices will be delivered end of November.

dsmudger
2005-11-16, 13:42
I ordered on friday 4th. The order number is 200444 and it was already out of stock.
How strange... fietske got his(/hers?) and the number was 200512 :confused:

I suppose there must have been a set allocation per country (which makes sense given the country-specific sites - up 'til now I'd assumed this was purely for billing and currency reasons), and it'd been used up for your country (what is that ellwood?) before Europe-wide order no. 444. Apparently Belgium (ellwood's country) had not used up their quota before 512 units had been ordered in Europe overall.

It'll be almost impossible to work out what those country-specific quotas were though (well, well maybe from the 'Pick slip' numbers - look on the top of your invoice - mine was 128013 - makes me think maybe I was the 13th in the UK...??). There are a few other numbers on my invoice - one of those is bound to be UK-specific :)

jaycee
2005-11-16, 14:17
FWIW - UK, order number 202306, on back order.
I don't know the due date, as my missus won't tell me 'cos it's my Xmas/B'day present ... :-)

putkowski
2005-11-16, 14:54
Order 57231054

Tuesday 15 Nov

Looks like the order-number ploy has crumbled...

dsmudger
2005-11-16, 15:19
Order 57231054

Tuesday 15 Nov

Looks like the order-number ploy has crumbled...
Ah yes, but that's a US order no. - we're speculating about the first European batch here :p

elwood
2005-11-16, 15:25
I suppose there must have been a set allocation per country (which makes sense given the country-specific sites - up 'til now I'd assumed this was purely for billing and currency reasons), and it'd been used up for your country (what is that ellwood?)...

Germany. I thought I was a bit late when I ordered friday evening after work, but I guess there were no devices available here to start with.

wweg
2005-11-16, 15:55
This is from the comfirmation of shipping:

Shipping details:

Item: 0278013
Description: Nokia 770 Internet Tablet (FI,, SE, DK) SU-18
Shipped: 1 @ 302.46 EUR = 302.46 EUR

FI, SE and DK stand for Finland, Sweden and Denmark. Wonder if there was an amount of 770's allocated to this group of countries. In Finnish and Swedish we have same characters in the virtual keyboard, but on the other hand the danish have their own.