View Full Version : T-Mobile UK settings

norstadt
2010-01-19, 23:29
Can anyone confirm what the internet connection settings should be for T-Mobile UK? I currently have the following set (by default):

Name: T-Mobile Internet
Type: Packet data
APN: general.t-mobile.uk
User: t-mobile
Pass: ** (I have no idea what this is set to)
Advanced: No proxy set, two auto-retrieve checkboxes ticked

The reason I ask is because browsing speed with this connection is not so great. I did a speed test and got download speeds of 0.3 (home), 0.06 (work) & 0.1 (another location). Unless I'm terribly unlucky and T-Mobile reception is poor in those three areas (which I don't think it is because I can make calls fine), there seems to be an issue.

I'm on a contract with T-Mobile and have Web n Walk as part of my tariff. I got a PAYG Vodafone sim today just to compare which got me speeds of 1.8 (home) and 1.4 (work). With both sims the signal indicator shows 3G and full bars (sometimes changing to 3.5).

I searched through the forums and the only post I could find that suggested T-Mobile UK settings was this (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=462420&postcount=90). But since I don't know the password to the current connection, I didn't want to ammend that at the risk of not being able to set it back. I've been unable to install fapn to try and create a separate connection so I thought I'd ask if anyone knew what the settings should be or the password to my current setting, which would allow me to change it back and forth.

Thanks!

PS. Started a new thread because the other one was MMS specific.

Doc_Raj
2010-01-19, 23:32
Just checked mine...all the same...but under advanced...and IP address...I have:

Auto-Retrieve IP address CHECKED
Auto-Retrive DNS CHECKED

My speeds are fine in London, Manchester and Birmingham.

norstadt
2010-01-19, 23:57
Mine are set too, that's what I meant by "default". I've edited my original post to make it clearer.

Hmm. Not sure why my connection is so bad then. I could really just be unlucky to be in such poor 3G areas. Or perhaps it's account related?

norstadt
2010-01-20, 23:29
An update on this - Turns out I only had Web n Walk, I need to upgrade to Web n Walk Plus to be able to get higher 3G speed. I got that done and it's bumped it up to about 0.5 Mbps now. Still not great, but a lot better than I was getting before.

jaark
2010-01-21, 15:20
An update on this - Turns out I only had Web n Walk, I need to upgrade to Web n Walk Plus to be able to get higher 3G speed.

Whoever told you that (even if it were T-Mo CS) was feeding you a shovel-full of bovine fecal matter. W-n-W Plus does not get you a faster connection*, just a larger transfer cap per month.

From what I remember, the APN does not actually care what username and password you use.

* Unless you have dramatically exceeded the W-n-W transfer cap (1GB), in which case they may have been throttling your connection.

norstadt
2010-01-21, 18:55
The guy was from the Tech team and was rather helpful and seemed like he knew his stuff. My speed has increased, but the max I get is 0.6 (and in those places, Vodafone gives minimum 1.5).

What sort of speed do you guys get? This (http://www.speedtest.net/) is what I've been using to test.