PDA

View Full Version : root access in windows?

wickermonkey
2010-01-24, 21:35
Hi, I'm not the best at using xterminal and im having problems copying a file that has magically gone missing. when i type
cp /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/tmp/sbin/ldconfig /sbin
nothing happens. I was wondering if there is a way to get root (/) access over a usb connection in windows rather than /home/user/Mydocs

Konceptz
2010-01-24, 21:40
Hi, I'm not the best at using xterminal and im having problems copying a file that has magically gone missing. when i type
cp /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/tmp/sbin/ldconfig /sbin
nothing happens. I was wondering if there is a way to get root (/) access over a usb connection in windows rather than /home/user/Mydocs

When you xterm in, you could try root@n900address.

b666m
you need to be root for this command (because you want to write in /sbin)

for this you must install "rootsh" and then type "sudo gainroot" in your x-term

pycage
You can install openssh on the N900 and WinSCP on Windows and use USB networking or a WiFi network connection to browse your N900's complete filesystem on your Windows PC.

wickermonkey
2010-01-24, 21:42
i just get

/bin/sh: root@n900address: not found

wickermonkey
2010-01-24, 21:43
you need to be root for this command (because you want to write in /sbin)

for this you must install "rootsh" and then type "sudo gainroot" in your x-term

I've already done this

wickermonkey
2010-01-24, 21:47
You can install openssh on the N900 and WinSCP on Windows and use USB networking or a WiFi network connection to browse your N900's complete filesystem on your Windows PC.

Would love to be able to do this but I have a problem with not having libc-bin not being installed (which everything depends on it for installing) and without ldconfig I cannot dpkg -i anything in the xterminal

Looks like i might have to flash again

cpitchford
2010-01-24, 22:16
If you use flasher to enable R&D mode temporarily, that would enable the "sudo gainroot" command to work without installing the rootsh package..
After you've finished with root access, disable R&D mode again..

However, if your device is that hosed that critical files are missing, it might be an idea to reflash to clear it out..