PDA

View Full Version : upgrading os 2006

bru
2007-01-21, 12:10
Hi ,is it possible to upgrade my nokia 770 to os 2006 ,with a desktop running windows xp sp1 without microsoft .net .
with sp1 i can only install microsoft .net 1 , on nokia website they say that microsoft .net 2 is required
tnanks

Texrat
2007-01-22, 02:38
you can create a linux boot disk (such as ubuntu) and do it that way.

bru
2007-01-22, 20:39
sorry but i dont know anthing about linux boot

Arjun
2007-01-22, 22:23
:) You can surely try to update to latest Nokia OS 2006 with Windows 2000 - SP4 and Microsoft .Net 2.0. Surely you are not using pirated Win XP, are you now ? If this is not the case then, it will not harm you to update to XP SP 2. :cool:

Texrat
2007-01-22, 22:59

I didn't either until I took the initiative to learn about it. ;)

Karel Jansens
2007-01-22, 23:47

I think the best thing you can do, is download the free VMWare Player from here:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

download the Ubuntu image (version 6.10, the very latest and bestest) here:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/693

and install both on your computer. There is plenty of documentation on the VMWare pages to get you going.

WMWare is a so-called "virtual machine", it emulates a (nearly) complete PC inside your current operating system (which I guess will be Windows) and will boot the selected image. Once you have Ubuntu running (it's not that different from Windows, but I'd still suggest some learning and playing before attempting to use it to flash your 770) you can download the Linux flasher and OS image to your Linux desktop and follow Nokia's instructions on how to flash from Linux.

The reason this is probably easier for a Linux newbie than using a CD-based Linux distribution, is that most of those don't allow you by default to store new files on your harddisk. Sure, you could use a USB stick, but not everyone has one lying around. The instructions on how to enable your harddisk storage capability are not exactly transparent for newb^H^H^H^Hfresh users.

Besides, VMWare is a great and very efficient way to learn Linux: You don't have to shut down your computer and reboot every time you feel like learning something. And who knows, in a few months you might be one of those who have Windows running in VMWare (note that you can't do that -- legally -- within VMWare Player, but hey...).

bru
2007-01-24, 08:46
thank you , i think i will try vmware and linux later
my question is = can i upgrade 770 to os 2006 with microsoft.net1 even if
nokia say i need microsoft .net2