PDA

View Full Version : Gmail problem: Can receive, not send

nspeer
2007-01-24, 20:33
Hi,
I have been trying for hours to set up Gmail. I used this forum to find what setting to use. I can only get the 770 to receive emails. When I try to send emails, I get the error message, "Smtp authentication failed. Please check your user name and password..."

I have Tablet 2006 operating system.

Account setup
page 1
Account name : gmail
Account type POP3

page 2
Name: my name
User name: I am using my complete Gmail email address as my User name (and it's grayed out in the account setup page so I can't change it).

page 3

I have checked "Use connection-specific SMTP servers"
SMTP Servers config as follows:

Sever name: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP authentication: Login
User Name: my complete gmail email address
Security: SSL
Outgoing port 465

Advanced setting Retrieval
Headers only
leave email on server
password authentication Normal
Security SSL (POP 3S)
Incoming e-mail port 995

Sending
SMTP auth. Login
User name My complete gmail email address
Security SSL
Outgoing port 465

I have enabled POP on Gmail settings on my PC

Anyone able to PLEASE help me.

bobpaul
2007-01-24, 20:50
I don't think you use your full google address for the username, just the part before the @, but I could be wrong.

Also, some ISPs block SMTP, so it could be that you can't access Google's SMTP server. You could try entering in your ISPs SMTP settings, but note than that Google won't know about messages you send, so you won't see them in your webmail.

nspeer
2007-01-24, 21:22
Thanks for your reply. I can't seem to edit my username. As I said, it's grayed out. Any ideas on how to edit it or what else to try?

johsua
2007-01-24, 22:40
Have you tried just using the web version of gmail in html mode?

SHGB
2007-01-24, 23:18
I am SO having the exact same problem. Looking forward to answers - one thing I can say is that you will need to set up a new account to re-do the info that is grayed out - once you've set up an account, the stuff that is grayed is forever. I just re-did mine with the suggestion above, will advise if it works!

TA-t3
2007-01-25, 14:49
The user name should be name@gmail.com
Also try port 587 instead of 465 for outgoing, and enable ESMTP if possible (I don't use this myself, the above are the settings I use on my Palm PDA).
If it still doesn't work, try it from another network. Sometimes there are ports blocked in the ISP/firewall/whatever.

Adam in NYC
2007-01-25, 15:12
You guys have to do TWO Things:

Enable POP access from GMail. There is a page just for tha.

Secondly, double check your email settings. Google "gmail mail settings" and you will see three other pages that let you correctly put in everything. Have everything working for me here.

Adam in NYC 770/800/PepperPad

nspeer
2007-01-25, 17:49
Don't quite understand what "Three other pages" Adam's post refers to in Gmail Settings but I'm assuming he means settings on the 770, not the PC.

Anyway, I've tried all the suggestions thus far and still cannot send emails,,,only receive. BTW, someone at Gmail is probably monitoring this thread as I got an unsolicited email from Gmail complete with screenshots explaining how to set up the 770 for Gmail. He sez the Username should be your complete email address including the @gmail.com part. He also has the "Use connection specific SMTP servers" box unchecked.
Neil

BanditRider
2007-01-26, 00:10
Try this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3148

nspeer
2007-01-26, 03:17
Try this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3148

thanks for your input, but, "been there, done that".

Did not work.
Neil

macbeach
2007-01-26, 04:05
Here are my setting which seem to work. I'll use "username" for the part before the @... I happened to use this for the "Account name" field too, but I'm not sure that matters.

Account name: username
Account type: pop3
Name: actual name, or blank I suspect
User name: username@gmail.com
Password: ********
E-mail address: username@gmail.com
Incoming server: pop.gmail.com
Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
Use connection-specific SMTP server: unchecked

on Advanced settings:

Incoming:
Retrieve: Messages and attachments
Leave messages on server: checked
Password authentication: normal
Security: SSL(pop3s)
Incoming port: 995

Outgoing:
SMTP authentication: Login
User name: username@gmail.com
Password: *******
Security: SSL
Outgoing port: 465

Security:
Encrypt... : unchecked
Digitally sign ....: unchecked
Display security indications for:
All encrypted...: checked
All untrusted...: checked

--------------------

Took a lot of trial and error to get this to work. Maybe Nokia can get together with Google to put these specific settings on the Google help page for POP forwarding.

Warning: the e-mail program doesn't do too well when Google has several hundred messages for it to download. It grinds to a halt , and/or crashes. So make sure you set Gmail to only pop NEW messages or you will overload the device. If you get a dozen or two messages at a time you should be OK, but I don't think the N800 will be very good as an e-mail archive with the current software.

Also... you may already know this, but you can't send YOURSELF a message with Gmail.. it just gets ignored. So test this using a separate e-mail address. Also, messages you send on Gmail using the web interface (via the N800 or a PC) will also show up in your inbox on the N800. I think this is nonstandard pop behavior, but it comes in handy at times too.

One other thing... gmail doesn't allow messages that have been poped to the N800 (or anywhere else for that matter) to be erased. I think this is also non-standard pop behavior... but I like it because I have wiped out large e-mail archives in the past due to not getting the client settings right the first time. So I have "Leave messages on server" checked on the N800, but it wouldn't matter anyway unless the Gmail end is set up to allow it (which I don't recommend).

Good Luck!

nspeer
2007-01-26, 05:52
Thanks, Macbeach,
I just tried your settings on my 770. Still not able to send email and get the SMTP authentication error.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Neil

BanditRider
2007-01-26, 11:30
Using Normal(TLS) not SSL
and port 587
works for me.

I also don't use the @gmail.com in my User name.

nspeer
2007-01-27, 00:52
Got it working! Deleted account and created new one with the same settings I had been using. Now it's ok.

Thanks for all your replies,
Neil