PDA

View Full Version : My N900 is lagging :(

Snaps
2010-02-02, 09:43
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me.

My N900 is starting to lag for some reason. It used to be super fast, but now its lagging at times.

As a few examples:

1) I click the phone icon on the desktop. I can hear the phone vibrate when I select it. Now the phone icon doesnt actually go blue, like when you select it. I wait 5-10 seconds and the phone menu appears.

2) Alarm goes off, and I press "Stop". Its stuck on "Stop", after its select in blue for 5 seconds, then stops.

3) I get an email, and it appears on my phone as a yellow bubble. So I want to close that bubble. I press the X, and it closes after 5 seconds.

4) I also frequently get "Hildon-Desktop not responding", asking me if I want to close it, which I say no!

I have restarted the phone many times, and its fast again, but after a few hours its slow again.

Anyway I can find out what is causing this?

I have a few apps installed and Catorise installed too.

Please help me find out what the problem is. I want my phone to be fast again :(

TNiga
2010-02-02, 10:04
When it gets slow, open x-terminal and run "top" to see if some process is eating your RAM or CPU. And if the process is something you know what it is and you know it's safe to end, you can end it with command "killall processname" where you replace processname with the actual name of the process.

But don't kill processes that you don't know if it's safe to kill!

Snaps
2010-02-02, 10:09
Just done this and nothing is taking a lot of CPU? I think its also related to the other "hildon desktop unresponsive" thread....

Weird! :(

niqbal
2010-02-02, 10:11
you might wanna clear cache on your web browser, restart then see if it helps. I have a hunch it might be that

maxximuscool
2010-02-02, 10:17
how many mp3, videos and pictures do you have on your N900 and microSD? sometimes the pulse audio keep on scanning for any changes and freeze the device. sometimes he hildon crash and you may have to turn it off then take the battery out for 5minutes and start it back on. But your Virtual Keyboard might stopped working after the reboot.

luisc
2010-02-02, 10:18
Are you using the load-applet? It lagged my N900 badly when I used it... you could try to uninstall it.

Snaps
2010-02-02, 10:23
how many mp3, videos and pictures do you have on your N900 and microSD? sometimes the pulse audio keep on scanning for any changes and freeze the device. sometimes he hildon crash and you may have to turn it off then take the battery out for 5minutes and start it back on. But your Virtual Keyboard might stopped working after the reboot.

I have no MP3's or Videos. I do have about 2000 images from my holidays.

Are you using the load-applet? It lagged my N900 badly when I used it... you could try to uninstall it.

I am using load-applet, but I never had any issues with it. There is another alternative to load-applet now, which does the same thing :)

Shall I try that?

zaoltryence
2010-02-02, 10:37
yup you can try.. but for me, im not using any load applet since like you it makes my device lag before after uninstalling now its quite ok.. does any body know how to really clear the browser cache

niqbal
2010-02-02, 10:43
open any webpage on default browser: Web -> Options -> Clear Private Data

slender
2010-02-02, 10:45
yup you can try.. but for me, im not using any load applet since like you it makes my device lag before after uninstalling now its quite ok.. does any body know how to really clear the browser cache

Hit browsers top area where you can see page name. From there options -> clear cache.

I would suggest that you turn your mobile off. Take off battery. Put it back and restart your N900 and wait until it settles down (~1min) and test if it still is lagging.

Catacylsm
2010-02-02, 12:06
Oh dear another one :(.

Right so from what i understand, the N900 itself possible index's items, 2000 pictures isn't nothing unbelievable, but it could be indexing each start up.

Second, i think i've seen a couple of times, people use a term x command to clear a certain directory which can supposedly fill up, i will try and retrace where i saw it.

Thirdly, when i get in i may try fill all 20gb remaing on my device, to see if i can replicate any more simptons, I may actually plug the device into my pc and try a defrag (this will most likely work but i dont know if i can damage my device, oh well only one way to find out :D.)

Snaps
2010-02-02, 15:18
So what can I do. I just killall hildon-desktop and then it works fine, but I have noticed this has been a problem for a few days now

DrWilken
2010-02-02, 15:23
I am using load-applet, but I never had any issues with it. There is another alternative to load-applet now, which does the same thing :)

Shall I try that?

If You aren't using the screenshot/screencast part of load-applet (screenshots can be taken with Ctrl-Shift-P anyways - without an applet installed), try cpumem-applet... :)

AFAIK load-applet's screencast feature still doesn't work anyways... :)

masq
2010-02-02, 18:04
so there's definitely an issue with load-applet slowing down the phone? Are you sure cpumem doesn't do something similar?

vijayv
2010-02-02, 21:37
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42500&page=4

Its 3am here dont want to type it all over again.... check the link

IsaacDFP
2010-03-08, 21:38
I am experiencing a very similar issue to Snaps. My N900 gets really laggy at some points. Now since day 1 of my purchase, i had 10gb of music, and about another 20gb of videos and never experience lag issue with my multimedia. But now, months later, its different. The main 2 thing that piss me off:
1) The alarm! When the alarm starts up, I can press on Snooze, and it will not recognize until i keep pressing for about 10 seconds. The very annoying part is, the N900 DRASTICLY increases the volume of the alarm every second!! and i actually had to get used to using my thumb and my index to block the speakers until the device recognizes i pressed on Snooze (or end alarm eventually...lol)
2) Incoming call! When not using the device, with screen locked, I will realise that the screen turns on by itself, which means a call is coming, by the time the screen switches to portrait and i actually see the caller, about 5-6 seconds have passed.

I have unistalled load-applet, and cleared my browser cache (was there any way to actually see the size of the cache before deleting it? And once i pressed on Clear Cache, there was no confirmation whatsoever...)
When I type TOP on x-term, it's usually Hildon processes, but it's really random, there's nothing particular always on top. And fyi, I have never installed any apps from extra-devel/testing

Also i wanted to know, as i am not too familiar with linux commands... what would happen if you kill a process that is not "safe" to kill? Wouldn't it be like Windows? If you kill a task, worse case scenario, just restart the computer and it's back on?

Thanks in advance

cryox92
2010-03-08, 21:48
I am experiencing a very similar issue to Snaps. My N900 gets really laggy at some points. Now since day 1 of my purchase, i had 10gb of music, and about another 20gb of videos and never experience lag issue with my multimedia. But now, months later, its different. The main 2 thing that piss me off:
1) The alarm! When the alarm starts up, I can press on Snooze, and it will not recognize until i keep pressing for about 10 seconds. The very annoying part is, the N900 DRASTICLY increases the volume of the alarm every second!! and i actually had to get used to using my thumb and my index to block the speakers until the device recognizes i pressed on Snooze (or end alarm eventually...lol)
2) Incoming call! When not using the device, with screen locked, I will realise that the screen turns on by itself, which means a call is coming, by the time the screen switches to portrait and i actually see the caller, about 5-6 seconds have passed.

I have unistalled load-applet, and cleared my browser cache (was there any way to actually see the size of the cache before deleting it? And once i pressed on Clear Cache, there was no confirmation whatsoever...)
When I type TOP on x-term, it's usually Hildon processes, but it's really random, there's nothing particular always on top. And fyi, I have never installed any apps from extra-devel/testing

Also i wanted to know, as i am not too familiar with linux commands... what would happen if you kill a process that is not "safe" to kill? Wouldn't it be like Windows? If you kill a task, worse case scenario, just restart the computer and it's back on?

Thanks in advance
Have you tried a reflash?
http://maemofanatics.com/how-to-flash-your-nokia-n900/
http://maemofanatics.com/how-to-flash-your-nokia-n900-part-ii/

stas123
2010-04-03, 17:06
Also i wanted to know, as i am not too familiar with linux commands... what would happen if you kill a process that is not "safe" to kill?

Wouldn't it be like Windows? If you kill a task, worse case scenario, just restart the computer and it's back on?

Yes. It's exactly like Windows. Killing a running process doesn't do any permanent damage.

In fact, key processes in Linux are monitored by a special service that will launch them if they crash or if they are killed - so you don't even need to reboot to get them working again.

(Windows does something similar for explorer.exe)

xenkof
2010-04-04, 16:20
Mine was lagging as well. I had PR1.1.1 USA when it did, then I did a Maemo Flasher with PR1.1.1 Greek and it still was lagging. Removed all apps I didn't use, still the same. Reset did nothing.
So I turned it off, removed battery, pressed power button a couple of times, replaced battery and started up, snappiness is back !!!
It's been a week and it's still going strong.
What can I say, same thing like Linux appliances I have used. Somehow somewhere there's a memory leak that can only be taken care of with a complete power removal/cold start.