PDA

View Full Version : Help Urgent Menu structure question

mscarrot
2010-02-10, 19:39
In the beginning I had not installed WinSCP and SSH client and server I've made dir's like this with Xterm: (for ecxample)

sudo gainroot
mkdir -p MyDocs/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon
mkdir -p .local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon

and moved them like this:
mv MyDocs/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/* .local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon

Strange thing is that when I now want to install a new icon this old
.local share dir (and the icons in that dir) override my new ones.

Can anybody explain me how to delete (with WinSCP) this so I can install my new icons with WinSCP&SSH.

Hope somebody can help me.

TIA !!

mscarrot
2010-02-11, 10:18
50 (!!) vieuws and nobody knows a solution ?????
(not referring to reflashing of course).

Rob1n
2010-02-11, 10:39
I'm not sure why you're needing to delete these directories - the .local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon is the correct location for installing replacement icons, whether you're doing it over WinSCP or on the N900.

Anyway, you can delete a directory (with contents and subdirectories), using "rm -r". If you created them as root (i.e. after running "sudo gainroot") then you'll probably need to be root to delete them though.

ruskie
2010-02-11, 10:41
Erm so the icons in .local override any other icons? Looks proper... .local is what the user preferd items should be in.

mscarrot
2010-02-11, 12:12
QUOTE=Rob1n;520908]I'm not sure why you're needing to delete these directories - the .local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon is the correct location for installing replacement icons, whether you're doing it over WinSCP or on the N900.

Anyway, you can delete a directory (with contents and subdirectories), using "rm -r". If you created them as root (i.e. after running "sudo gainroot") then you'll probably need to be root to delete them though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rob,

Can you please write down how i remove them with rm -r, in xterm or win scp.
can I do that without any harm? made those folders with xterm and sudo gainroot indeed.

Am putting my replacement icons in the dir where the originals are now, basicly overriding the originals. but these are bugging me, cause they override the originals that's why i want them deleted.

again searched in WinSCP, but can't find the folder ??

Rob1n
2010-02-11, 12:51
Can you please write down how i remove them with rm -r, in xterm or win scp.
can I do that without any harm? made those folders with xterm and sudo gainroot indeed.

This will remove the two directories and their contents. Make sure there's no spaces in the directory names, otherwise you could end up deleting a lot of stuff you really don't want to.

sudo gainroot
rm -r /home/user/.local/share/icons
rm -r /home/user/MyDocs/icons

Am putting my replacement icons in the dir where the originals are now, basicly overriding the originals. but these are bugging me, cause they override the originals that's why i want them deleted.

I'd advise against this. You're better leaving the original icons where they are, and putting the replacements into the .local/share/icons directory structure (where they override the defaults). That way any firmware updates will leave your changes intact, you can trivially roll back to the default icons, and you can make the changes without needing to be root (which is safer).

again searched in WinSCP, but can't find the folder ??

Directories starting with a "." are hidden by default, so you probably need to set something in the WinSCP client to tell it to show those.

mscarrot
2010-02-11, 14:20
Thanks so much for the explanation Rob, have found the 'hidden' folders in WinSCP so will use them instead.
Am happy that you explained why i shouldn't do it the way I did, only I assume for some icon's it is too late now...
But I've Learned something important today, gosh I really like this community !!!