PDA

View Full Version : Seagate first OEM for the Agere BluOnyx ?

fpp
2007-01-30, 20:28
Just came across this tonight :

http://www.clubic.com/actualite-68995-dave-mini-disque-dur-wifi-bluetooth-seagate.html

Sorry, it's in French, and I couldn't find any other pointer to it (meaning, either it's a hoax or these guys are very, very good at news :-)

Anyway, it looks a lot like the BluOnyx reference design. If so, that nifty gadget could get promoted from vapourware to off-the-shelf sooner than expected...

fpp
2007-01-30, 20:49
Yup, it's there all right :

http://www.podtech.net/scobleshow/technology/1333/seagate-introduces-dave

(look Ma, no French ! :-)

iFrank
2007-01-30, 21:09
Well, 770 storage may get a boost very soon after all; just think of possibilites with Canola and Maemo Mapper to name a few... ;~)

yumheart
2007-01-30, 21:27
Quoted from promo page:
"Imagine your cell phone that only has, say, 4GB's of storage or less, getting access to DAVE's hard drive, which has 10GB or 20GB of storage — for less than $200."

I have 16 GB built in to my n800 using two 8gb adata flash drives and the SDHC kernel... for $140 from newegg... Easy as pie and no need for fiddly external device, BT or WIFI config. It just works!

iFrank
2007-01-30, 21:46
Obviously, local storage is the king, but that’s not an option for 770 (max 2GB); besides, having extra portable storage is always handy, especially when it can be shared between many devices using Bluetooth, Wifi or USB.

fpp
2007-01-30, 22:08
Yup, not the same thing. Especially if these things have embedded CIFS file-sharing and uPnP, like the Agere reference design promised...

jpj
2007-01-30, 22:19
DAVE looks more like a BluOnyx competitor than an OEM launch. In the Scoble interview and the Seagate release, it's described as a "platform" rather than a "product":

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DAVE-technology&vgnextoid=e6fdf23376370110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

Note also that the DAVE samples in the video were non-working mockups, unlike the functional BluOnyx prototypes at CES. Seagate is projecting May announcements from their marketing partners and retail shipments in June, similar to the Agere timeline.

Like yumheart, I'm unexcited about the 20GB capacity compared to maxing out the N800 at 16GB (which WILL double and then quadruple as higher capacity SDHC cards come online). Sharing my content with the local cloud doesn't strike me as a must-have application either.

Personally, if I was a 770 user lusting after that kind of storage, I would put my unit up for sale NOW before its resale value plummets, and then upgrade. (Please don't flame me if you disagree, it's only a statement about what *I* would do with *my* cash, not yours.)

fpp
2007-01-30, 22:24
Why flame ? It's a perfectly reasonable approach. More so than most of us here :-)

Texrat
2007-01-30, 23:20
This makes sense to me. Good fit for Seagate's business model. Makes me wish I'd hung on to my Maxtor shares instead of selling them after they jumped when Seagate bought the company. *sigh*

thoughtfix
2007-02-01, 04:19
I am talking to both Seagate and Agere and all I can say so far in public is that they are not the same device. More soon.