PDA

View Full Version : How to SSH into N900 on a Mac

aMeeGo
2010-02-19, 17:02
hi all. firstly, i love my n900. a few things, i installed openssh on my n900 but clicked next to where i was asked to enter a password and the dailogue box disappeared. i therefore have no password on my openssh even after uninstalling and reinstalling.

secondly, i used to use cyberduck to ssh into my iphone to install themes and icons. how do i go about doing this on the n900? the ihone had a default password "alpine". does the n900 have something similar?

i really want to install some new icons and fonts on this beauty!

gidoca
2010-02-19, 17:07
To use ssh on a Mac, you can simply use the ssh command in a terminal. It is installed by default. About the N900 part, I'm not sure this works (can't test it, as I'll get my device tomorrow), but try this: run "dpkg-reconfigure openssh" as root in a terminal on the N900. This should show you the configuration dialog again.

m165
2010-02-19, 17:08
I did this last night funnily enough using Cyberduck too, also trying Fugu as well, both work very well.

What I did was change the root password to begin with. You can do it by entering

sudo passwd root

into the terminal, and you get to change the password in the next step. Note you wont see anything when you type.

Then in Cyberduck, just enter the IP address for the N900, make sure its port 22, username is root, and the password is what you just entered. This should work!

aMeeGo
2010-02-19, 17:17
I did this last night funnily enough using Cyberduck too, also trying Fugu as well, both work very well.

What I did was change the root password to begin with. You can do it by entering

sudo passwd root

into the terminal, and you get to change the password in the next step. Note you wont see anything when you type.

in terminal i get the response

Sorry, try again

m165
2010-02-19, 19:41
I'm not familiar with the terminal at the moment, but someone posted that before and it worked for me. Maybe search on re-setting the root password may help?

gidoca
2010-02-19, 20:14
in terminal i get the response "Sorry, try again"
Well, that's because sudo asks you to enter the current root password (I assume). If you just clicked next when you were asked to set a password, you might now have an empty password, so try to just press enter when asked for a password. Then you should be asked to enter a new password. But as I said, I haven't tried it myself as I don't have a device.

zwer
2010-02-19, 20:20
For root password:

sudo gainroot
passwd

(actually, it might work inline as well)

For user password:

sudo gainroot
passwd user

In xterm on N900... After setting your password(s) everything should be fine and dandy.

aMeeGo
2010-02-19, 22:31
For root password:

sudo gainroot
passwd

(actually, it might work inline as well)

For user password:

sudo gainroot
passwd user

In xterm on N900... After setting your password(s) everything should be fine and dandy.

That worked! Thanks :)

starman
2010-02-26, 20:03
ive been trying this my self but always get following from cyberduck

Network Error: Connection failed
sftp://root@10.0.2.7
Connection refused.

i reset the root passwords, as listed about, i know the i.p address is correct, Im at a loss.

Any one got any ideas??

zwer
2010-02-26, 20:07
Try adding port number after that, e.g. sftp://root@19.0.2.7:22

starman
2010-02-26, 20:10
Try adding port number after that, e.g. sftp://root@19.0.2.7:22

ok tried that - no cigar :(

zwer
2010-02-27, 00:08
Are you sure that sshd is running on your device? Go to xterm and type:

ps | grep sshd

If you installed the OpenSSH Client, you can try to ssh the device from the device itself to check if ssh is working. To do that, type:

ssh root@localhost

If the last one works, you definitely have a network problem - either your network doesn't rely the connection to the N900, or you have a wrong IP.

Scottlfa
2010-02-27, 00:39
opne terminal
type; sudo gainroot
type; /etc/init.d/ssh start

there you go ssh running on the N900 [make user openssh client & server deb is installed from the repo's]. SSH has to be called directly through a full path, once started its fine.

Been ssh'ing from various platforms for a few weeks.

starman
2010-02-27, 20:32
Are you sure that sshd is running on your device? Go to xterm and type:

ps | grep sshd

If you installed the OpenSSH Client, you can try to ssh the device from the device itself to check if ssh is working. To do that, type:

ssh root@localhost

If the last one works, you definitely have a network problem - either your network doesn't rely the connection to the N900, or you have a wrong IP.

okie dokie, i tried your suggestion and when typing

ssh root@localhost

i get the following

ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: connection refused :(

zwer
2010-02-27, 23:03
Well, in that case you either don't have OpenSSH Server installed (install from here: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/openssh-server/ ), or you don't have it running. If it's not running you can start it from xterm with:

sudo gainroot
initctl start sshd

vvmanoj
2010-03-01, 05:26
I had the same issue and then found out the default password for openSSH is "rootme"

Cheers,
Manoj