PDA

View Full Version : ScummVM with AGI support

Dom Queron
2007-02-05, 04:26
ScummVM has merged with Sarien a while back and their development versions have quite well working support for old Sierra Adventure Game Interpreter powered games.

Anyone up for porting that.... ? :)

Rocketman
2007-02-05, 06:12
Fairly recent versions of ScummVM are available for the 770/800, but I think they are based on release builds.

tebra
2007-02-05, 07:38
Fairly recent versions of ScummVM are available for the 770/800, but I think they are based on release builds.

That's right, no AGI support in maemo port at this time

fanoush
2007-02-05, 07:54
I do plan to make newer scummvm (svn build) when I have some spare time.

I had quite busy real life recently. We just moved to new place (after fixing it for 2 months) and still have most of our things in boxes. I can find time for small things but scummvm changed considerably in 0.10 branch so this must wait until things will settle down a bit here (2 weeks?).

Dom Queron
2007-02-07, 07:56
Awesome, looking forward to it!

Dom Queron
2007-03-24, 07:39
Bumping this up again since the new firmware doesn't like ScummVM anymore. It CTDs every time I try to run any game.

fanoush
2007-03-24, 14:28
It works for me with new firmware. I'm not sure what CDT exactly means but scummvm exits when configured game is no longer found. Maybe your game data moved?

fanoush
2007-03-26, 07:59
Can you post legal direct download link to some (preferably good) AGI game? I have nothing to test against. I had a look at scummvm code again and have latest SVN version compiled but there is no proper support for N800 keys in this version yet so it is currently usable only with bluetooth keyboard.

Each scummvm game engine needs keyboard code modifications separately (if it needs some keys). Currently I have such changes only for scumm, sky, gob and queen engines in older scummvm version. If AGI games need some keys, let me know which ones are used.

haliava
2007-03-26, 08:48
Can you post legal direct download link to some (preferably good) AGI game?

I guess you can use http://www.agigames.com/index.php?action=games&option=browse_agi

fanoush
2007-03-26, 10:10
Ah, I see. It looks from AGI games description on that site that such games use keyboard a lot (i.e they are text based). Looks a bit pointless to run such games on N800. Are there point and click games for this engine too?

haliava
2007-03-26, 13:13
Are there point and click games for this engine too?
Well, they do use point and click as well but all controls except movement are normally text-based. As for usefulness - I personally would like to have all things in one place instead of being forced to run agi on Treo.

fanoush
2007-03-26, 13:55
Treo has keyboard, N800 has not. You mean you want to play it with external (bluetooth) keyboard on N800?

haliava
2007-03-27, 09:11
Treo has keyboard, N800 has not. You mean you want to play it with external (bluetooth) keyboard on N800?
Well, I do use bluetooth keyboard when N800 is standing but I'd like to use it with on-screen keyboard as well - have no problem with that.

fanoush
2007-03-27, 10:22
I'd like to use it with on-screen keyboard as well - have no problem with that. Sadly I do have problem with that :-) You can't use system (GTK based) virtual keyboard in SDL based program (i.e. scummvm) and even if you could, it is not very practical since it takes a lot of screen space on the bottom needed for game. Either scummvm need to have true Maemo backend based on GTK instead of current SDL based one (=lot of work and it would look bad) or virtual keyboard need to be implemented inside scummvm (preferably on left/right side in unused space) which is a lot of work too.

haliava
2007-03-27, 10:53
You can't use system (GTK based) virtual keyboard in SDL based program (i.e. scummvm) and even if you could, it is not very practical since it takes a lot of screen space on the bottom needed for game.
I see. As far as screen estate is concerned I guess it's not a problem as agi games are 320x200 at best. Reengineering of scummvm code just because of agi is not very practical though, I agree. Anyhow I'd personally use agi games in SCUMM on tablet with bluetooth keyboard - so if you will enable agi engine alongside generic version upgrade you will have at least one sure user. If the effort is minor probably it's worth it. Thanks for taking a consideration of the issue anyway.