PDA

View Full Version : Window Maker on N800 - WORKING watch video

penguinbait
2007-02-06, 03:56
I hate matchbox, I hate hildon. ;-)

This is video links are slow (cable modem), but you will see what I wished we had all along, a real window manager, desktop icons, a desktop........

Are you with me or against me, can we start development on an alternate window manager.

oskey-x is the on-screen keyboard in the second video.

Keep in mind this is one afternoon hacking, some developers onboard, we could have a real linux box.

22.5MB
http://penguinbait.com/DSCF1885.AVI.nokia770.avi

7.5MB
http://penguinbait.com/DSCF1887.AVI.nokia770.avi

FEEDBACK PLEASE? What do you think

Rocketman
2007-02-06, 04:16
I am totally in favor of a full blown linux desktop experience on the n770/n800. It constantly annoys me that there is a huge number of applications out there that won't work properly until they are "hildonized." Nokia should be working harder to ensure compatibility with existing Linux applications and UI models instead of forcing the limited number of linux developers with Nokia Tablets to try to adapt applications to fit the Hildon UI.

penguinbait
2007-02-06, 04:50
Did you watch the video, its awesome, it a real desktop, it needs tons of work, not even sure if Window Maker is the best option going forward, but its a nice proof of concept.

Rocketman
2007-02-06, 07:19
It would be nice if we could get these posted to YouTube or something, so that people could watch them. I downloaded the first one, but when I tried the second, I got 4 kb/s (definitely not my end, I have a 8 mbit pipe).

Ultim8Fury
2007-02-06, 08:57
Stuck at work at the moment so I can't watch the videos but I look forward to seeing WindowMaker on the n800. Before I switched to a Mac, WindowMaker was my prefered WM for over 6 years. It'd be nice to have a play with it again.

spycedtx
2007-02-06, 09:22
wow!

yes, please!

aflegg
2007-02-06, 10:25
Yes, someone who's got them already - put them on YouTube please?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

pure
2007-02-06, 11:11
Great idea. I think xfce would be an excelent choice , lightweight fast and a really clean interface

thebeck
2007-02-06, 11:13
I too fully support this. My question is would it be easier to port programs like Firefox with this setup? And if so then there is great need for something like this.

N770-Freak
2007-02-06, 11:18
Are you with me or against me, can we start development on an alternate window manager.
I hope that you keep working on that!
The hildon ui is like a prison. A "real" window manager would give us so much freedom.

That's the big advantage of opensource... I love it ;)

aflegg
2007-02-06, 11:41
First video uploaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvPZcNCHBvQ

Aspect ratio's wrong, but it's better than waiting for the large videos to download.

Karel Jansens
2007-02-06, 12:28
I hate matchbox, I hate hildon. ;-)

This is video links are slow (cable modem), but you will see what I wished we had all along, a real window manager, desktop icons, a desktop........

oskey-x is the on-screen keyboard in the second video.

Keep in mind this is one afternoon hacking, some developers onboard, we could have a real linux box.

22.5MB
http://penguinbait.com/DSCF1885.AVI.nokia770.avi

7.5MB
http://penguinbait.com/DSCF1887.AVI.nokia770.avi

FEEDBACK PLEASE? What do you think

YOU ARE GOD!!!

Well-- almost. This is so awesomely kewl!

As usual, a few nitpicking remarks:

1. Maybe XFCE of even Rox would be better choices, as they provide a richer user environment.
2. We so need to go hunting for an alternative HWR solution; I hate peckboards with a vengeance. Xstroke anyone?

Question: Was that the Links browser you got running? It's hard to see on the youtube video.

aflegg
2007-02-06, 13:47
Next video uploading now. Yes, it was Links AFAICT

maxilogan
2007-02-06, 13:54
Ok, now here's the stoopid question :D : any hope for our poor 770 users?!

aflegg
2007-02-06, 14:09
Second video uploaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sh9VoEb93I

benny1967
2007-02-06, 14:26
Mhm... wouldnt this be what projects like Ångström (http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/) are all about?

Has anyone tried http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/images/20070121/nokia770/ ?

maxilogan
2007-02-06, 15:01
Well, there aren't any instructions on the Angstrom page on how to install it on the 770, despite there are fro other handhelds..

Omar

schmots
2007-02-06, 15:10
I would like to know how you did that.. that is awesome. Hoping for the ability to boot the sdk into other environments like this. If a standard x framework like this can be used all sorts of things can be ported.

penguinbait
2007-02-06, 16:38
Look, lets start out by saying, as I have said before, I am not a developer. I am by trade a unix admin, and have been using linux since 1996. I downloaded window maker source and comiled it in scratch box. I changed a couple files for bootup(specifically matchbox.sh now only contains the line wmaker &) I hacked and linked a bunch of stuff to get it to work, libs and bins and share stuff. I also stopped maemo_desktop from launching as it overtakes the desktop. I can easily start maemo_desktop and get to all my applets to change things although they are in the middle of the screen. I was able to launch controlpanel in a window so I could change things like that also. I literally spent about maybe 8 hours setting this up an playing. If I launch anything that has hildon keyboard support it will start the virtual keyboard but its in the middle of the screen.

Anyway 770 users, I see no reason you could not do this also, CPU resources are very low. I would not be able to set it up for you though as I can not test it. I would be happy to help anyone get it going though.

I hoping to put out a tarball later this week, I have a few kinks I want to get worked out.

Quite honestly when I set out to see if I could compile it I thought that it would fail, and when it didn't I figured lets give it a try, manually stopped matchbox, and started wmaker and it started, rather ugly but it started. After further tinkering and making it bootup to wmaker, I almost crapped myself :-)

Thanks for posting the youtube videos, my cable modem was running balls out!!!

I tried to compile afterstep and it went ok, but fails to launch. KDE? hehe

It should also be fairly easy to write a script to boot either of the window managers. just run a script to change the config files back for bootup, and restart. This would give you the best of both worlds, I think you could even have it happen without rebooting. Just stop wmaker and start matchbox, the start maemo_desktop.

schmots
2007-02-06, 21:43
If thats all you did then xfce might not work, too many dependancies.. but blackbox/fluxbox might, they are both small enough. Can you "right click" with the n800? (Still waiting on my tax refund to buy my own).

I too am a Unix Admin and look forward to seeing what I can and can't do with this device.

If a normal WM is possible, as your videos truly make it look, then so much more will be possible with this device.

fpp
2007-02-06, 21:47
Now THIS is serious fun. I would buy a N800 for it ! And keep the 770 to run maemo...
At last, a good excuse, thanks penguinbait ! :-)

penguinbait
2007-02-06, 22:49
If thats all you did then xfce might not work, too many dependancies.. but blackbox/fluxbox might, they are both small enough. Can you "right click" with the n800? (Still waiting on my tax refund to buy my own).

I too am a Unix Admin and look forward to seeing what I can and can't do with this device.

If a normal WM is possible, as your videos truly make it look, then so much more will be possible with this device.

Yes, no right click yet. I was able to get the WPrefs working, had to drop back to 0.91

I used WPrefs to set the N800 button to bring up the menu. So far I have xterm, oskeys-x and controlpanel on the menu. This allows you to boot up, start xterm and start the virtual keyboard.

The virtual keyboard I am using works great but runs at like 100% CPU. But it drops all CPU usage when anything else needs it. Its now easy to launch, so you do not need it running all the time.

Again, Like I said before, I am not a developer, I can cobble together a working desktop, (working enough) But some developers need to get onboard and work towards having a second WM option. I hope to include a shortcut to switch window managers when I put out the tarball

dbf
2007-02-06, 23:10
Penguinbait,

amazing work!. I am not a linux/unix techie but I am looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Damian

penguinbait
2007-02-07, 06:29
I posted INSTALL PROCEDURE for this, GO NUTS !!!!!

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4569&goto=newpost

apple2
2007-10-12, 08:14
I'm compiling wmaker for 770 for fun and I have some problems so
I have some questions:
1. What is the browser in the first video? (integrated one doesnt work, minimo shows " could not start minimo, dillo doesnt compile cuz wants sth-config not pkg-config, others have a lot of deps and I feel locked in the world of endles compilation.
2. How do you make hildon apps work? (On some WMs they just open . not all of course, but in wmaker nothing happens.
Thanks in advance :)