PDA

View Full Version : N900 file issues (codecs etc.)

RDK
2010-02-24, 10:16
Right, I have put several .avi files onto my N900, as it can play them, yet some of the files says 'video codec not supported' or 'audio codec not supported', if they are all .avi how does that work? How do I go about getting the codecs? Also, I saw somewhere VLC may be developed for the N900, I hope it will be.

Thanks,
Ryan

starman
2010-02-24, 10:33
the avi file, is whats known as a container - it has no structure to determine what actual codec is used - so some or your files might be divx, mg4, h.264 and the audio split between mp3, acc etc.

your only chance is to download the Extra-Decoders-Support package, I think its in Extras-testing

b666m
2010-02-24, 10:37
i would recommend installing mplayer and kmplayer as gui :)
this combination rocks! :D

RDK
2010-02-24, 10:40
Okay, just enabling the extras-testing repository, let you know how I get on and thanks I never knew that lol, quite obvious if I think about it.

Ryan

RDK
2010-02-24, 10:41
b666m, when I try to install Mplayer, it says downloading 9.48mb and doesn't do anything, like the doesn't download at all, any ideas? I am connected to my wireless network and my internet etc. Works fine.

ossipena
2010-02-24, 10:41
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libavcodec52/

b666m
2010-02-24, 10:47
b666m, when I try to install Mplayer, it says downloading 9.48mb and doesn't do anything, like the doesn't download at all, any ideas? I am connected to my wireless network and my internet etc. Works fine.

this problem appears on my phone sometimes too.
then i just disconnect from the accesspoint and reconnect....
and then try to download it again. :)

b666m
2010-02-24, 10:49
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libavcodec52/

can you tell differences between this codec-pack and the decoders support?

what are the pros and cons? how is the perfomance? :)

RDK
2010-02-24, 10:59
Right done that, the player plays the files, but before I got 'video code unsupported', so the Kmplayer will play the file without what ever codec it can't pay, I.E it will play the sound if the video code is unsupported.

@that link what version should I DL lol.

Also I have enabled the extras-testing repos, but there is no testing option on the app manager.

ossipena
2010-02-24, 11:01
can you tell differences between this codec-pack and the decoders support?

what are the pros and cons? how is the perfomance? :)

I have no idea. haven't needed extra plugins etc with my two videos that are included in standard firmware...

starman
2010-02-24, 11:04
Right done that, the player plays the files, but before I got 'video code unsupported', so the Kmplayer will play the file without what ever codec it can't pay, I.E it will play the sound if the video code is unsupported.

@that link what version should I DL lol.

Also I have enabled the extras-testing repos, but there is no testing option on the app manager.

determining which codecs youve got between multiple files and what will play on your n900 will cause you endless amounts of headaches, your best bet would be to just re-encode your videos to something the n900 is known to play

RDK
2010-02-24, 11:05
Great, I can't find that program in the App manager.

b666m
2010-02-24, 11:12
I have no idea. haven't needed extra plugins etc with my two videos that are included in standard firmware...

mhm... i even can't find it in my app-mangager ^^

apt-cache search libavcodec finds it... strange... maybe i'll install it via apt-get and just take a look at this package :)

RDK
2010-02-24, 11:13
Do what? Lol, I'm a noob.

@starman, what re-coder works for the N900?

starman
2010-02-24, 11:15
Great, I can't find that program in the App manager.

same here - nowhere to be seen, i did notice that the list

http://maemo.org/packages/repository/list/fremantle_extras-devel_free_armel/

has considerably more items than is showing my my n900, i even disabled all other repo's, hmmmmm strange :(

ossipena
2010-02-24, 11:17

apt-cache search libavcodec finds it... strange... maybe i'll install it via apt-get and just take a look at this package :)

it could be a whole another name in app manager. it can be confusing sometimes.

RDK
2010-02-24, 11:18
Is there a way of downloading it off that link starman gave on the N900 itself?

starman
2010-02-24, 11:18

yeah i tried that- the apt-get search thingy finds it but apt-get install libavcodec says "couldnt find libavcodec" lol - the wonders of linux :)

ossipena
2010-02-24, 11:19
same here - nowhere to be seen, i did notice that the list

http://maemo.org/packages/repository/list/fremantle_extras-devel_free_armel/

has considerably more items than is showing my my n900, i even disabled all other repo's, hmmmmm strange :(

stop acting silly. all the apps that should be shown in app manager are shown. trust me. what are you going to do for example with plain library and zero software that utilizes a library?

starman
2010-02-24, 11:20
it could be a whole another name in app manager. it can be confusing sometimes.

REALLY!?!?!?

thats just lame :(

how are n00bs meant to brick their phones then lol :)

RDK
stop acting silly. all the apps that should be shown in app manager are shown. trust me. what are you going to do for example with plain library and zero software that utilizes a library?

Why is it on here and not the appmanager? I'm going to download it via this site on my N900, see what happens.

Andre Klapper
the avi file, is whats known as a container - it has no structure to determine what actual codec is used - so some or your files might be divx, mg4, h.264 and the audio split between mp3, acc etc.

your only chance is to download the Extra-Decoders-Support package, I think its in Extras-testing

Ahem. Please DO NOT send people to Extras-Testing or Extras-Devel without a huge warning that the software over there can be unstable and in the first case brick your device.

Andre Klapper
2010-02-24, 11:22
Right, I have put several .avi files onto my N900, as it can play them, yet some of the files says 'video codec not supported' or 'audio codec not supported', if they are all .avi how does that work?

Do they not work after a restart either? Be aware of https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6823 which can lead to wrong results and assumptions here...

b666m
yeah i tried that- the apt-get search thingy finds it but apt-get install libavcodec says "couldnt find libavcodec" lol - the wonders of linux :)

apt-get install libavcodec52
does the job.

but mhm... the system doesn't seem to benefit from this codec-pack... mplayer has its own codecs and plays the movies fine...

the default media-player still says "format not supported" :/

maybe there is a little tweak ^^

starman

ahh i see, i didnt know that - see now im one more step away from my n00b status :)

RDK
I know all this, I'm not completely stupid, I've only had it a couple of days, not much on there anyways. I'd rather take the risk and it works than not and get no solution.

Andre Klapper
2010-02-24, 11:24
I'm going to download it via this site on my N900, see what happens.

Probably you will run into some dependency issues, as Application Manager solves them automatically while your web download cannot do that. Hence: Followup problems are likely.

RDK
2010-02-24, 11:27
Probably you will run into some dependency issues, as Application Manager solves them automatically while your web download cannot do that. Hence: Followup problems are likely.

I'll give it a shot anyways.

RDK
2010-02-24, 11:29
Another thing, it won't play certain .mp3 files.. Which is stupid, these files played on my 5610 xpress music, which is like 2 years old.

starman
2010-02-24, 11:30
Ahem. Please DO NOT send people to Extras-Testing or Extras-Devel without a huge warning that the software over there can be unstable and in the first case brick your device.

damm i forgot - you know what be be awesome - if the maemo.org server recognised extra-testing & extra-devel as a text string and inserted a automatic warning via java script or something.

maybe like this

blah blah blah try extra-devel to solve it

into

blah blah blah try [extra-devel] to solve it

and have a mouse over warning with the usual disclaimers

:)

b666m
2010-02-24, 11:32
oh... forgot... mplayer uses ffmpeg... which contains libavcodec xD

RDK
2010-02-24, 11:34
Lmao b666m, I didn't download it anyways, trying to change up some **** anyways.

Are the codecs implemented into the default player? So I can play music etc?

Kmplayer can't even play the .mp3 files.

Sigh, this is such a ****.

b666m
2010-02-24, 11:41
ehm... kmplayer is only the gui...

you need to install mplayer too :)

edit:
then open kmplayer and click on the top bar and click on "select player".
there you can select "osso media player" (the default player), "mplayer" (if installed) or "npp" (which is a kind of flash-player?!).

RDK
2010-02-24, 11:50
Yeh I got both of them lol.

O right I didn't know that @ edit

ossipena
2010-02-24, 11:53
damm i forgot - you know what be be awesome - if the maemo.org server recognised extra-testing & extra-devel as a text string and inserted a automatic warning via java script or something.

maybe like this

blah blah blah try extra-devel to solve it

into

blah blah blah try [extra-devel] to solve it

and have a mouse over warning with the usual disclaimers

:)

nope. that red box could be good enough:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space

because when somebody points a newcomer to extras-dev, the newcomer will be really fcking pissed if those simple steps bricks the device and after that he realizes that 64bit win is no go for reflashing, .... etc etc.

so please put really big warnings before you even mention extras-testing&dev, not talking about scripts or copypasting stuff to terminal.

http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

RDK
2010-02-24, 11:55
Opssipena, you told me to download the file... Now you're telling him he should warn people? :S Ironic.

ossipena
2010-02-24, 12:00
Opssipena, you told me to download the file... Now you're telling him he should warn people? :S Ironic.

I didn't tell anyone to download any files. Where's the file from my link?
what about link to .install -file?

thought so. so you need root access + install the file you downloaded with dpgk. I admit I should have warned but I thought that it requires so many steps a newcomer can't possibly manage through those.

fyi: simple url to warning: http://wiki.maemo.org/Template:Danger

RDK
2010-02-24, 12:05
Steps for what? Implementing those codecs into the main player?

Edit: Not being funny, but you linked me it insinuating I should download it, otherwise why would you bother wasting your time?

Edit2: I found the file and was going to download it off my N900, but got sidetracked with another post.

ossipena
2010-02-24, 12:26
Steps for what? Implementing those codecs into the main player?

Edit: Not being funny, but you linked me it insinuating I should download it, otherwise why would you bother wasting your time?

Edit2: I found the file and was going to download it off my N900, but got sidetracked with another post.

you need to manually install the .debs you download there. all commands etc needed in order to get a deb installed was referred as "steps"

I didn't suggest anything, just showed that that kind of package is available and probably released to extras some day. maybe i should write disclaimers for copypasting to myself for later use...

starman
2010-02-24, 12:30
you need to manually install the .debs you download there. all commands etc needed in order to get a deb installed was referred as "steps"

I didn't suggest anything, just showed that that kind of package is available and probably released to extras some day. maybe i should write disclaimers for copypasting to myself for later use...

do what i just did, read my sig :)