PDA

View Full Version : can`t change permissions of file as root

Hcattaneo
2010-02-28, 21:33
Hi guys,

here is the situation, I tried to download file *.sh from my email then in the console typed chmod +x *.shin order to make it executable, but nothing happened, and the other thing is that when i tried ./*.sh it shows permission denied

any ideas?

loranth
2010-02-28, 21:36
Hi guys,

here is the situation, I tried to download file *.sh from my email then in the console typed chmod +x *.shin order to make it executable, but nothing happened, and the other thing is that when i tried ./*.sh it shows permission denied

any ideas?

Try .<space><yourscript>.sh instead or bash <yourscript>.sh

The FAT filesystems e.g. ~/MyDocs/ do not support permissions.

Hcattaneo
2010-02-28, 21:43
great. It works. Thanks :)))

crabsody
2010-03-17, 21:51
I don't have a script but an executable (I compiled it) which I can't execute. My exec has -rw-r--r-- permissions which I can't change. I try either ./MyExec or run-standalone.sh ./MyExec but both of them return Permission denied. Does anyone know what is wrong. Thanks in advance

Rob1n
2010-03-17, 22:02
I don't have a script but an executable (I compiled it) which I can't execute. My exec has -rw-r--r-- permissions which I can't change. I try either ./MyExec or run-standalone.sh ./MyExec but both of them return Permission denied. Does anyone know what is wrong. Thanks in advance

You need to move it off the FAT32 filesystem - you can't execute programs from there.

crabsody
2010-03-17, 22:17
You need to move it off the FAT32 filesystem - you can't execute programs from there.

I see. But where should I move it in order to execute it? I move it to /home which according to /etc/fstab is mounted as ext3 but I have the same problem

Rob1n
2010-03-18, 08:47
I see. But where should I move it in order to execute it? I move it to /home which according to /etc/fstab is mounted as ext3 but I have the same problem

/home is fine - you should now be able to change the permissions on it to allow execution.