PDA

View Full Version : rootfs file system location?

ste.richards
2010-03-02, 09:36
I want to look at the space and get a good idea of what's taking what. What is the file system location of rootfs?

floffe
2010-03-02, 09:39
in X-terminal:
cd /
du -h .
[enjoy list of hundreds of subdirs]

krk969
2010-03-02, 09:41
simple search should get you answers to basic questions
df -k

on the xterm will give you the status of filesystems

*EDIT*
du command is to see the size of the files in the specified/current path.

ste.richards
2010-03-02, 09:46
I have ran 'df -kh' and although it shows the usage of rootfs it doesn't show the file system location of rootfs, only the usage of rootfs. It does show a few directories but these don't add up to be rootfs as their file size is over 256MB.

Also, 'du -h' will just show directory space usage and not provide the location of rootfs.

ossipena
2010-03-02, 09:52
location of roofts is /

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_filesystem

Rob1n
2010-03-02, 09:55
I have ran 'df -kh' and although it shows the usage of rootfs it doesn't show the file system location of rootfs, only the usage of rootfs. It does show a few directories but these don't add up to be rootfs as their file size is over 256MB.

The file size on rootfs will add up to over 256M as it's using a compressed file system.

ste.richards
2010-03-02, 09:55
Is that article suggesting that every directory that isn't /home, /home/user/Mydocs or /media/mmc1 is the rootfs?

Rob1n
2010-03-02, 09:57
Is that article suggesting that every directory that isn't /home, /home/user/Mydocs or /media/mmc1 is the rootfs?

Pretty much, yes - the python libraries are bind mounted under /usr/lib/py* though, so you'll have to discount those.

ste.richards
2010-03-02, 09:58
Pretty much, yes - the python libraries are bind mounted under /usr/lib/py* though, so you'll have to discount those.

Makes sense, thanks.

rash.m2k
2010-03-02, 10:00

Yes, rootfs it '/', then the microsd is mounted onto /media/mmc1, 2GB apps parition is mounted on /home and remaining 28gb or so is mounted on /home/user/MyDocs.

MyDocs is what you see in the N900 File Manager.

ossipena
2010-03-02, 10:02

yes. of course /dev/ etc folders are whole another story that can be read at the link in bottom of wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_directory_structure

e: and of course /media/ -subdirectories aren't part of rootfs. compare it to /mnt/ -directory mentioned in wikipedia article.

ste.richards
2010-03-02, 10:18
The following may help you track down rootfs hungry apps/games

1) Run 'sudo gainroot'
2) Run 'cd /'
3) Run 'du -h | sort -n -r > size.log'
4) Run 'cat size.log | more'

The higher rootfs usage directories will appear at the top of the list. I assume from the above information that anything inside /home can be ignored as using rootfs space. I have noticed a few games that think it's OK to install over 2MB on rootfs including Electric Beams, Supertux and PRBoom.

Rob1n
2010-03-02, 10:42
The following may help you track down rootfs hungry apps/games

1) Run 'sudo gainroot'
2) Run 'cd /'
3) Run 'du -h | sort -n -r > size.log'
4) Run 'cat size.log | more'

The higher rootfs usage directories will appear at the top of the list. I assume from the above information that anything inside /home can be ignored as using rootfs space. I have noticed a few games that think it's OK to install over 2MB on rootfs including Electric Beams, Supertux and PRBoom.

You can also use the scripts I've posted here (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=500101&postcount=7) which will list all applications (giving both package name and, where available, display name) and the space they take from rootfs. I've recently rewritten them to avoid calling dpkg repeatedly, so they should be pretty quick now.

pursueky
2011-03-07, 02:21
in X-terminal:
cd /
du -h .
[enjoy list of hundreds of subdirs]

I don't think it gonna stop.........