PDA

View Full Version : Map Button on BT-Headset to "Cursor Right"-Key?

benny1967
2010-03-04, 18:48
I realize this may sound strange at first, but... do you think it would be possible to fake an "arrow right" button press (or whatever other key) within a running application each time I press a certain button on a paired Bluetooth headset?

I'll have to present some slides in 2 weeks and I thought I'd use the N900 connected to the projector. (I never tried if the quality of the TV out is good enough for that, but if it is, it would be cool to see those faces... like: "Hey, didn't you forget your laptop?" and then I plug in my phone :D ...) The slides will be converted to PDF first. (Other ideas?)

Now, I can, of course, go back to the desk each time I need to change to the next slide, but wouldn't it be cool not to touch the N900 at all? My headset (HS-11W) is so small, I could easily hold it in my hand all the time. Now all I'd need is a script or something that listens to BT and makes the PDF Reader believe somebody pressed "arrow right" on the hardware keyboard... because that's what makes the PDF Reader load the next page.

Possible? Easy? Already available?

benny1967
2010-03-05, 07:34
OK, for those who follow this thread breathlessly... I found a workaround for my personal setup. It isn't ideal and you'd need to have my old SE phone for it to work, but it'll do for the moment:

I activate HID in the bluetooth configuration on the N900. My old SE company phone has a built-in application named "Bluetooth Remote". A little trial and error, and I figured out which buttons to press on the SE to make the PDF reader on the N900 display the next/previous page or toggle fullscreen mode.

Not exactly what I wanted, because I have to rely on the tiny subset of keys the SE can send and it's only luck that the ones I need are supported. Also, the SE phone is bigger than my bluetooth headset and there's always a chance I press the wrong key while holding it in my hand. Anyway.... seems I'll be able to stand in front of the audience and remote-control the N900 that's in the middle of the room.

I'd still be interested in an application/script that would allow me to do it without enabling HID, only by listening to buttons pressed on the headphone.