PDA

View Full Version : Why does having having repositories enabled use up rootfs space?

zail
2010-03-07, 22:10
I've read on various posts that one way to free up rootfs space is to disable extras-testing and extras-dev... I've done this and it works but as a newbie to maemo (and although I've dabbled in linux I'm by no means an expert!) I don't understand why. So if anyone could answer the following questions to further my understanding I would be very grateful!

1/ do all repos consume rootfs space or is it just extras-testing and extras-dev?

2/ Is disabling sufficent or do I need to delete them altogether?

3/ what do they do that uses space on rootfs?

v13
2010-03-07, 22:19
I've read on various posts that one way to free up rootfs space is to disable extras-testing and extras-dev... I've done this and it works but as a newbie to maemo (and although I've dabbled in linux I'm by no means an expert!) I don't understand why. So if anyone could answer the following questions to further my understanding I would be very grateful!

1/ do all repos consume rootfs space or is it just extras-testing and extras-dev?

2/ Is disabling sufficent or do I need to delete them altogether?

3/ what do they do that uses space on rootfs?

The application manager uses apt which stores the list of software from repositories under /var/lib/apt/lists. Extras-testing consume about 5.3MB and extras-devel should be much more.

b666m
2010-03-07, 22:19
start here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Repository

i'll try to keep it short and simple:
1. yes, all of them.
2. disabling (and afterwards (automatically) updating) is sufficient enough.
3. they're downloading lists to keep track of the current available packages and versions. the more packages the repository contains the more rootfs memory is needed when it's activated.

daemonfin
2010-03-07, 22:26
Mmm... what happens when there is 10 000 applications?

StOoZ
2010-03-07, 22:28
start here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Repository

i'll try to keep it short and simple:
1. yes, all of them.
2. disabling (and afterwards (automatically) updating) is sufficient enough.
3. they're downloading lists to keep track of the current available packages and versions. the more packages the repository contains the more rootfs memory is needed when it's activated.

Thanks, your comment was very helpful!

so basically I can install as much stuff as i want from extra-devel as long as i disable it afterwards??? arent extra-devl apps are not optified(not on the 32gb emmc)??

zail
2010-03-07, 22:47

So would it make sense to disable them and only enable once a week or so to check for updates, enabling them one by one? My rootfs currently @35Mb but am planning to reflash or follow the free rootfs wiki instructions sometime soon - just a bit short of time atm!

Thanks for the link to the repo wiki btw :). Two other questions that brings to mind:

1/ If I have extra-testing enabled and that has a new version of a package that I have installed from extras will it be flagged as an update and would it tell you which repo it was coming from before updating??

2/ Should I only enable extra-tesing when I know there is an update or something I want to test in there?

BTW, although I'm new to n900 and maemo I'm quite happy to reflash device if I brick it so not worried about installing misbehaving progs (I keep good backups too!!!) just in case you think I 'm a daft person potentially playing with fire!

Rob1n
2010-03-08, 09:50
so basically I can install as much stuff as i want from extra-devel as long as i disable it afterwards??? arent extra-devl apps are not optified(not on the 32gb emmc)??

Extras-devel apps may not be optified, may not work, may crash the N900, may leave you needing to reflash the firmware and/or the eMMC. I'd advise only installing apps from extras-devel if you've thoroughly read all threads about them on here, have read through (and understood) the instructions on re-flashing, and understand the importance of making regular backups.

Rob1n
2010-03-08, 09:55
So would it make sense to disable them and only enable once a week or so to check for updates, enabling them one by one? My rootfs currently @35Mb but am planning to reflash or follow the free rootfs wiki instructions sometime soon - just a bit short of time atm!
That's certainly an option - and I wouldn't worry about the rootfs space until you get below 10M free, or you actually need the space.

Thanks for the link to the repo wiki btw :). Two other questions that brings to mind:

1/ If I have extra-testing enabled and that has a new version of a package that I have installed from extras will it be flagged as an update and would it tell you which repo it was coming from before updating??
Yes - any newer version of a package will be flagged as an update, regardless of which repository it's from. You can look at the details for the update which will indicate the source repository.

2/ Should I only enable extra-tesing when I know there is an update or something I want to test in there?

BTW, although I'm new to n900 and maemo I'm quite happy to reflash device if I brick it so not worried about installing misbehaving progs (I keep good backups too!!!) just in case you think I 'm a daft person potentially playing with fire!

That's up to you - I leave both extras-testing and extras-devel enabled all the time, but check where updates are coming from. I'm quite aware of the risks though, and am quite happy with reflashing the device (as I've had to do once already). As you say, backups are essential as well.