PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Really Confused " Nokia N900 first to get Meego by the month end"

jobyzjohn
2010-03-08, 12:18
Dear All,

There is a lot of talks about
"Nokia N900 to get Meego by the month end".

Does this mean the Maemo operating system will be changed and the phone would have Meego?? Will this be only available on new N900 phones.

There was an update that Nokia will soon release a big update for maemo and now all are talking about Meego. Could anyone help me out here and provide some information.

I bought my N900 in January. Will the older phones get Meego.. How would it be..

Thanks in Advance for you help.
Regards

rajat_piracy
2010-03-08, 12:25
Hey Jobyzjohn ..... ,

As i ve read on official meego site .... they would provide meego images for download and flashing purpose so older n900 phones would probably be able to run them .. so dont worry about it ... but for the big maemo update its still unclear as when will it be available.. or does big update refers to meego ...lets wait and see what nokia is upto ...

SavageD
2010-03-08, 12:26
I'll give you my understanding.....

Think of the new meeego update as having a firmware upgrade, you may have to flash and install the meego update.....

Also there wouldn't be any new firmware updates for maemo 5 at this point since meego would be taking over. Though it's quite possible that if a great deal of users still want to stick with the maemo 5 image/system they might actually release a final firmware update.

johnel
2010-03-08, 12:28
Dear All,

Does this mean the Maemo operating system will be changed and the phone would have Meego?? Will this be only available on new N900 phones.

There was an update that Nokia will soon release a big update for maemo and now all are talking about Meego. Could anyone help me out here and provide some information.

I bought my N900 in January. Will the older phones get Meego.. How would it be..

Thanks in Advance for you help.
Regards

It will be a "development" version of MeeGo.

It will not be suitable for end-users - please don't install it (unless you want to develop for it).

I imagine it will be a good few months before it is ready for every day use.

I think the next update is 1.2 and is due this month, possibly April?

MeeGo is open source - it has the potential to be available on older devices (hopefully).

Relax everything is OK - enjoy using the n900 with Maemo 5, it is still a great device.

There are new apps coming out all the time and loads to choose from.

Its all good.

floffe
2010-03-08, 12:29
What will be released is a very early version of MeeGo, which will probably be significantly less stable than current Maemo 5. So it might (okay, will) be possible to put it on the N900 but not recommended for regular users. Also from what Nokians on this forum have said, such an early release of MeeGo will not mean the end of Maemo 5 updates.

ToJa92
2010-03-08, 12:36
Would it be possible to dual-boot the development version and Maemo 5?

jobyzjohn
2010-03-08, 12:41
Thanks Everyone for the update on Meego.
Regarding the Apps .. Not many are released. I see many games and applications in the extra-devel. still not yet released for the end-user.

I love my N900 and wish to see lots of apps coming up soon. Waiting for them :)

floffe
2010-03-08, 12:43
Would it be possible to dual-boot the development version and Maemo 5?
Try asking again when it is released, i.e. when we actually know something about it.

jobyzjohn
2010-03-08, 12:49
Sure floffe.. I am also eager to know more about Meego and waiting for the next update of Maemo from Nokia.

qgil
2010-03-08, 12:55

See http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect#The_MeeGo_project _has_announced_support_for_the_N900.__What_does_it _really_mean_for_my_N900_.3F

There is plenty of useful answers in that page.

markyt23
2010-03-09, 01:08
from what ive read in other threads and buddies of mine is that meego will be like an option to changes OS'S on the 900..this could be incorrect.. but lets say u do flash or download meego or whatever.. upon this will i loose files saved on my device along with apps...i know u can run a backup but since ur changing OS'S will u have to save the back up to ur ext storage

Crashdamage
2010-03-09, 01:41
...lets say u do flash or download meego or whatever.. upon this will i loose files saved on my device along with apps...i know u can run a backup but since ur changing OS'S will u have to save the back up to ur ext storage
If you have to ask this, you should not be considering installing an early version of MeeGo anyway.

Please, pay some attention to what is said. Read johnel's post #4 in this thread. It will be a very basic build of MeeGo initially intended for developers only. Also read the wiki linked in his signature and referenced again by qgil in post #10. Use the search function. Then ask questions.

Laughing Man
2010-03-09, 01:45
Thanks Everyone for the update on Meego.
Regarding the Apps .. Not many are released. I see many games and applications in the extra-devel. still not yet released for the end-user.

I love my N900 and wish to see lots of apps coming up soon. Waiting for them :)

The problem is more of the testing (well at least for extras-testing). Alot of applications are stuck in testing right now due to insufficient votes to get them into extras. For extras-devel it's up to the developer to decide when his/her app is ready. Some developers may not bother past the initial "it works good enough for me".

markyt23
2010-03-09, 03:37
sheesh im lazy shoot me.. i would love to read everyones post.when i have ample time us techies really just need to say yes or no smh

Mandor
2010-03-09, 16:17
I have updated the wiki to include this citation :

That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. I am quite confident that we will end up having a really good developer distro for N900 already but committing to stabilise a consumer-grade MeeGo 1.0 (first half this year) for N900 is another story. That is a product business decision beyond my scope. Also, we do not yet know about MeeGo 1 release content. I am not yet sure if I would be personally ready to let my Maemo5 go for the first MeeGo release in my daily N900 use.

see : http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect#The_MeeGo_project _has_announced_support_for_the_N900.__What_does_it _really_mean_for_my_N900_.3F