PDA

View Full Version : Broken Seal on New N800 Box

tjb
2007-02-12, 19:23
I got my N800 last Thursday direct from Nokia. It was a little strange as the seal to the box was broken. I don't know if it occurred during shipping or not. When I turned it on after charging it, it came up straight to the normal user interface. There was no settings wizard that was run like the N770 had when I got it.

I checked and it already had the latest firmware installed. I remember reading that most had to flash the new firmware right off. Mine is newer so maybe they're shipping with it.

I bought two 8GB cards and flashed the SDHC kernel. I've had various strange things happening since then so today I decided to reflash to standard firmware. After rebooting, I got the settings wizard that I thought may have been removed.

So now I'm wondering if Nokia is flashing the updated firmware after the fact or if my N800 might be a return. I'm running the standard firmware to see if the various problems (random reboots, the unlock sequence not working all the time) are normal or if there is some hardware problem with my device.

Anyone receive a new N800 with the seal broken? The 51-6 firmware already installed?

Thanks,

tjb

9a6or
2007-02-12, 19:37
The seal on mine was broken and overtaped with a second original Nokia seal. I think I was among the first few who got it in January in the UK as I bought it same day when it appeared in the online shop. It had the new firmware on and I've put down the broken seal to this. I took many photos about the overtaped broken seal before opening and as you can imagine, I've examined it carefully but as I'm happy with the N800 I did not complain.

richie
2007-02-12, 22:53
Mine arrived with the original Nokia sticker broken, and you could see a new sticker placed over the top. It started with the setup wizard and was the latest firmware, so I figured Nokia just updated the firmware, thus the two stickers. If yours didn't start with the wizard, it sounds like a used/ returned unit.

Rich

russ
2007-02-12, 22:56
Mine was the same - broken seal, new one on top - I was a little concerned when it arrived and took a picture of it for posterity, before I opened it...just in case it turned out mine looked like a return or something.

It was completely new from what I could tell, there was no wizard when I started it for the first time from what I remember.

I believe mine was one of the first ordered in the UK too...

Russ

TA-t3
2007-02-13, 10:05
Mine had an intact seal, it had the newest OS installed, and it started up with the wizard.

tjb
2007-02-15, 19:37
Well after the reflash things are working much better. Mine did not have a second Nokia seal but I don't believe there's anything wrong with it. I've even got the SDHC kernel working so I have an 8GB card in the external slot. Thanks for the replies.