PDA

View Full Version : [ANNOUNCE] RĉMote for the N900 (Apple Infrared Remote)

thp
2010-03-08, 19:42
I wanted to somehow make use of the N900's IR port. The irreco UI is still cruelsome and unusable. Now, RĉMote is out, trying to be better:

http://thpinfo.com/2010/raemote/screenshot.png

Package currently waiting to enter Extras-Testing: http://maemo.org/packages/view/raemote/

Demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ig6YJ8nh4

Currently, only the Apple Remote is supported, but the code is ready for additional remotes. All that's needed is an image file, a list of rectangles for "hotspots" and highlight images for each button. The files required for the Apple Remote are in /opt/raemote/apple/. If anyone is interested in creating additional remotes, I can give some details on how to do this.

ToJa92
2010-03-08, 19:46
Awesome, now I can have fun with my dad's iPod while it's in the dock in our living room :D

That One Guy
2010-03-08, 19:59
thp, you got a .deb that I can download or you can email me? The app manager still can't find the package.

ToJa92
2010-03-08, 20:07
thp, you got a .deb that I can download or you can email me? The app manager still can't find the package.

I guess you could download the .deb file from here?
http://maemo.org/packages/package_instance/view/fremantle_extras-testing_free_armel/raemote/1.0/

mannakiosk
2010-03-09, 07:28
Hi!

While using that ae combination letter looks cool, I dont't think it's very practical, since most people can't easilly search for example these forums for the name of this app.

But maybe it is cool enough to outweigh the downside...

kingzeus
2010-03-09, 07:30
how do you use this?

twaelti
2010-03-09, 07:46
I wanted to somehow make use of the N900's IR port.
Currently, only the Apple Remote is supported, but the code is ready for additional remotes. All that's needed is an image file, a list of rectangles for "hotspots" and highlight images for each button. The files required for the Apple Remote are in /opt/raemote/apple/. If anyone is interested in creating additional remotes, I can give some details on how to do this.

Ok, here I am. I volunteer to do a Windows MCE remote - because that's the project I wanted to start anyway! (But that was at the back of my project queue, first multi-DSLR shutter, then auto-recaller...) :)
However, I'm not sure if these things still fit the widget class or if it wouldn't be better to have an app.
And yes, the name is creative, but unpractical. Also, in terms of midterm attractivity, it might be better to rename it as "meemote" or so

ysss
2010-03-09, 08:21
MCE remotes run Philips RC6 standard (non standard 36kHz carrier frequency); I wonder if the N900 can cover that?

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_IR#Standards

thp
2010-03-09, 12:56
how do you use this?

Install it, point your N900's infrared port towards an Apple product with infrared port and touch the buttons on the widget to send IR signals.

thp
2010-03-09, 13:07
Ok, here I am. I volunteer to do a Windows MCE remote - because that's the project I wanted to start anyway! (But that was at the back of my project queue, first multi-DSLR shutter, then auto-recaller...) :)
However, I'm not sure if these things still fit the widget class or if it wouldn't be better to have an app.

Ok, some basic instructions to get going:

Download the IR code file from www.lirc.org/remotes/ and save it as "codes"
Create a background image to be used as UI (save as bg.png)
For each button, create a rectangle line in the "rects" file (see below)
For each button, create an overlay as <buttonname>.png that highlights the button
Save the remote name (has to be the same as in the "codes" file) in the "name" file

Now, for the rectangles, the format is simple: {buttonname} {x1} {y1} {x2} {y2}

The {buttonname} should be a valid button (IR code) in the "codes" file.

The upper left corner of the button is (x1,y1) and the lower right corner of the button is (x2,y2). You can have multiple rects for each button to create better regions for the remote.

And yes, the name is creative, but unpractical. Also, in terms of midterm attractivity, it might be better to rename it as "meemote" or so

We can rename the thread to Raemote (Moderators: Please rename this thread to "[ANNOUNCE] RaeMote for the N900 (Apple Infrared Remote)") No "MeeMote" or "ReeMote" (or MeeRote..). We are still living in Maemo times, and we can still rename the widget when MeeGo comes out.

pagesix1536
2010-03-09, 14:40
Very odd...when I install it...it doesn't show up as an available widget in the list. When I remove the app, suddenly it shows up in the widget list. If I select it (which I don't expect to work), it doesn't do anything and doesn't give any errors, but removes it from the list then.

Rebooted many times, uninstalled/reinstalled many times. Not sure why I can't see the widget in the list and select it when I install it...but so far I've been unable to use it. I'd file a bug, but looks like the bugtracker link at the http://maemo.org/packages/view/raemote/ site just points to a simple webpage about the app.

FOLLOWUP: I was able to launch it manually with "python raemote.py" once I found where the file was located. Works good once I got it running, although sometimes I noticed that buttons would "stick" in a pressed state even after I lifted my finger off the screen. Funny thing is that I didn't even know I had Front Row on my Macbook (it's a work provided laptop which is imaged from a stripped down build) until I used this app.

mobiledivide
2010-03-09, 16:44
Same issue I can't find it in the widget selection pulldown menu? Where is the file located?

generationally
2010-03-09, 16:53
Nice!

But we are running out of desktop space with all these widgets ;) I think this one should be an app instead. It is not something I want on the desktop taking up so much space...

thp
2010-03-09, 20:36
Same issue I can't find it in the widget selection pulldown menu? Where is the file located?

I think if it's the first Python-based Desktop widget that you install, you might have to restart your N900 or at least hildon-home (by using "killall hildon-home" in the X Terminal).

If in doubt, you can use "python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py &" in the X Terminal to start the widget manually. The widget should then appear on your Desktop.

syncdot
2010-03-10, 00:52
I think if it's the first Python-based Desktop widget that you install, you might have to restart your N900 or at least hildon-home (by using "killall hildon-home" in the X Terminal).

If in doubt, you can use "python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py &" in the X Terminal to start the widget manually. The widget should then appear on your Desktop.

Mine doesn't show up in the widget menu too. But opening it manually through terminal works. Very nice app and very responsive too! Just what I need since I couldn't find my original Apple remote..

Hopefully the bug for it not showing in the widget menu will be fixed.

Thanks for this!

nilchak
2010-03-10, 02:04
I vote for a full fledged app instead of a widget. Most ideas for apps seems to be implemented as a widget leading to desktop clutter.

Since the remote is only for when the user is in front of a mac - maybe it makes sense to launch an app instead of an always on widget ? Just a thought.

But neverthless Kudos for this great idea - will surely try it, now that I have a Mac Mini.

Maj3stic
2010-03-10, 07:20
Great App and thank you, but one question how exactly do you pair it with your macbook since it requires you to hold the menu button and next/forward button simultaneously and we know this isn't possible without multitouch. Please help. Thank You

Flandry
2010-03-10, 07:29
We can rename the thread to Raemote (Moderators: Please rename this thread to "[ANNOUNCE] RaeMote for the N900 (Apple Infrared Remote)") No "MeeMote" or "ReeMote" (or MeeRote..). We are still living in Maemo times, and we can still rename the widget when MeeGo comes out.

Oh man, that's not nearly as cool. :) You had a good trend going with Maepad and all that. Anyway, I was going to help you out with it but you posted it in the wrong forum, oops. (I thought this thread was in Apps).

I was wondering why Irreco was so cumbersome, and thought that IR control had to be less difficult than that made it seem. It's good to see it's true.

Digbum13
2010-03-10, 10:16
Hi, I installed fine & it shows up in my widget menu.

I just cant get it to work with my macbook, I don't think it is sending IR signals. My apple remote works fine so I'm sure its not a problem on the mac receiver. Have tried a reboot and a re-install but no joy yet. Anyone share this problem?

twaelti
2010-03-10, 11:48
I just cant get it to work with my macbook, I don't think it is sending IR signals. My apple remote works fine so I'm sure its not a problem on the mac receiver. Have tried a reboot and a re-install but no joy yet. Anyone share this problem?
I guess your Mac has a webcam, so just open Photo Booth and point the IR port towards the webcam and press a button on the Raemote - you should see a small light flicker inside the IR port when sending a signal (at least it does when using my Shutter widget :-)

Digbum13
2010-03-10, 11:55
I guess your Mac has a webcam, so just open Photo Booth and point the IR port towards the webcam and press a button on the Raemote - you should see a small light flicker inside the IR port when sending a signal (at least it does when using my Shutter widget :-)

Thanks, There is no flicker from the IR port of the N900. My mac remote does produce a flicker. The N900 is not sending IR signals. I will try the shutter widget and see if that activates the IR port. I hope its the software and not the hardware.

edit: Shutter widget reports IRsend failed: 1 Boo!:confused:

thp
2010-03-10, 13:46
Some details for the "pairing" and "longpress" issues:

According to some web source (citation needed..) every "hardware" Apple Remote has a one-byte key (0-255) burnt-in that will be sent. MacBooks (I use them as example here, as I have one, I guess it's the same for Apple TV, iPod dock, etc...) by default listen to "any" Apple Remote. You can, however, "lock" or "pair" your Apple Remote with your MacBook, which means that your MacBook will only listen to the Apple Remote's key (again, one out of 256) and not to other keys.

What this means for you:

RĉMote only works in non-paired mode (if you paired your MacBook with your hardware Apple Remote, it won't work)
If we somehow get more advanced IR codes, we can "simulate" every one of the 256 different Apple Remotes out there
Holding a button does not work right now (because the Apple Remote does send different "repeat" signals for holding)

Some cool stuff that we can achieve, though (if we have all the necessary codes, which is just missing information ATM and not something that is limited by hardware):

Mac-b-Gone (let any Mac in sight go to sleep, whether or not it's paired - but only if it's running OS X, and only if it hasn't disabled the IR port)
Pairing (with configurable Apple Remote ID)
Seeking in FrontRow/iTunes (press-and-hold ffwd, rewind)

I guess it's not that difficult for people that know a bit about IR and have the necessary hardware (e.g. a IR receiver that can capture the signals from an Apple Remote). If you have an Apple Remoet and an IR receiver hooked up to lirc, please do the following:

Record the IR signal(s) for a long press on every button
Record the IR signal(s) for the "pairing combination"

Information about pairing: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1619

twaelti
2010-03-10, 13:55
Thanks, There is no flicker from the IR port of the N900. My mac remote does produce a flicker. The N900 is not sending IR signals. I will try the shutter widget and see if that activates the IR port. I hope its the software and not the hardware.
edit: Shutter widget reports IRsend failed: 1 Boo!:confused:
Please reboot your phone (Shutdown, the turn on again). It helped me with both Shutter and Raemote.

pycage
2010-03-10, 14:00
Mac-b-Gone (let any Mac in sight go to sleep, whether or not it's paired - but only if it's running OS X, and only if it hasn't disabled the IR port)

Looking forward to this. :D *evil grin*

Digbum13
2010-03-10, 15:57
I tried rebooting, no joy yet.

I uninstalled everything using the IR port and rebooted. Then i did a fresh install of raemote. This time it did not show up in the widget menu so i ran the script

python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py &

and i got

~ $ Stopping lirc daemon: irexec lircmd lircd.
Starting lirc daemon: lircd

The widget appears on the desktop but IR is non-functional
When I try to use it, terminal gives me,

irsend: could not connect to socket
irsend: connection refused

so its a socket connection problem. Off to google it now.

That One Guy
2010-03-10, 15:59
I guess you could download the .deb file from here?
http://maemo.org/packages/package_instance/view/fremantle_extras-testing_free_armel/raemote/1.0/

I'm going back to eating my coloring crayons... Hah!

Thanks. Will install it and report back.

And, it seems to work great! Thank you, Dev.

thp
2010-03-10, 17:27
Stopping lirc daemon: irexec lircmd lircd.
Starting lirc daemon: lircd

That's normal. The widget simply restarts the lirc daemon just in case it has not been started yet. This should make the widget functionality more reliable.

irsend: could not connect to socket
irsend: connection refused

Seems like permission problems. Also, is "lircd" running? If not, maybe something messed up the lircd.conf? Please try removing lirc with the "--purge" option to remove the config files, i.e.:

apt-get remove --purge lirc

(This will also remove the packages that depend on lirc - you have to re-install them which in turn will re-install lirc and a new config for it...)

Digbum13
2010-03-10, 18:20
Brilliant. It seems that lircd.conf had been corrupted on line one by a previous install of qtirreco.

The --purge and a reinstall of raemote kicked its arse back into shape.

Thank you very much for the widget and the help, its great to be able to use front row without having to search for the apple thingy which is never where you left it.

Htwo
2010-03-12, 12:08
Had the same problem as digibum13. Had installed irreco and qtirreco, which both didn't work. "apt-get remove --purge lirc" and reinstall of raemote solved the problem.

A suggestion: Rename the app. It's hard to find it with the search-function. Rĉmote looks cool, but you can't find it searching raemote.

Update: Played around some more. Seems like the combination of irreco and qtirreco made problems. At the moment I have only Raemote there, I can see the signal in Photo Booth, but the Macbook doesn't react. Will update, when it works.

Update 2: It works again. After some deleting, purging, reinstalling it now works again like a charm. Still a bit confused. Will try again to install qtirreco.

Update 3: Got raemote and qtirreco to work. Seems like the remotes, I used to test with my TV (lifetec) were the problem. Other work. At least with in the webcam. Now I need to find a TV to test it. (But that will be more interesting for the qtriecco people. raemotes works nice. thanks.)

thp
2010-03-18, 21:05
RĉMote 1.1 with a fixed bug tracker URL in the description has just been uploaded to Maemo Extras-Devel. It will be promoted to Extras-Testing as soon as the maemo.org Packages Web Interface allows me to do so.

Some more details to the package description that should help in case of problems with QtIrreco (when it messes up the lircd.conf file) were also added. Htwo's suggestion of modifying the app name (in the application manager) to be more searchable was implemented in the debian/control file.

..and finally the source is online now at: http://repo.or.cz/w/raemote.git (where you can also find the diff to 1.0 in case you are interested). Patches welcome!

benlau
2010-03-20, 17:10
Great application! However , I have similar problem like Digbum13. RaeMote was not shown in the widget list. I can only run through terminal.

thp
2010-03-20, 18:46
RĉMote 1.2 has just been released and will land in Extras-Testing soon. It includes a fix for the graphical glitch where the button highlight would not go away and appear "stuck".

If RĉMote is not shown in the widget list, simply re-start your device.

cafeine
2010-03-27, 17:52
Sounds very cool...since i lost my iMac remote for 2nd time...but can't get it to appear in the widget list...

python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py & seems to do the job and make it appear....but i have to run the command every time?...

Should I have something else also installed or just the Raemote? thx and kudos for the development!

twaelti
2010-03-27, 18:13
cafeine:; try a reboot

cafeine
2010-03-27, 18:36
twaelti, i did but the same results....only if run the command

python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py &

i can see it in my views.

mottis
2010-04-09, 19:57
Thanks a million! This widget will be used like a mother.. well a lot! Just brainstorming here but is there any chance of getting the remote app from iphone/ipod touch to N900 (the one that uses wifi connection)? Are there copyright issues or something? Maybe with some plugins that might work? (I don't really know much of these things..) That would be the greatest thing ever though this will also do just fine..

thp
2010-04-10, 11:50
is there any chance of getting the remote app from iphone/ipod touch to N900 (the one that uses wifi connection)? Are there copyright issues or something?

I think what you mean is the DACP protocol? There is an implementation (and detailed information about the protocol) on this page (for an Android app):

http://dacp.jsharkey.org/

Also, I've found a client implementation on Ruby, which should theoretically work on the N900 as command-line app already:

http://gitorious.com/ruby-dacp

(There might even be a Qt-based UI for this already in the "qtstereo" directory inside the Git repo, but I haven't checked it out. Just a pointer in case anyone wants to try implementing something like this - I personally don't use iTunes for music playback :))

mottis
2010-04-10, 14:56
I think what you mean is the DACP protocol? There is an implementation (and detailed information about the protocol) on this page (for an Android app):

http://dacp.jsharkey.org/
Yep that's the one. Is someone able to turn that into a working N900 app? Or is there one already? I have no skill in these things but I imagine this would be a simple thing to do..(?)

jsbigs
2010-04-15, 06:55
So it seems previous attempts of mine to get Irreco or qtirreco to work (never did) have really done in my IR transmitter, assuming it worked in the first place. I can not get Rĉmote to work either.

I've tried:

1.) Rebooting

2.) Deleting Rĉmote and running apt-get remove --purg lirc (I get this message: Package lirc is not installed, so not removed).

3.) apt-get clean, apt-get autoclean, apt-get remove, apt-get autoremove

I ran python /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/raemote.py in terminal and got this message:

Stopping lirc daemon: irexec lircmd lircd.
Starting lirc daemon: lircdlircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 5:
lircd: ignoring this child file for now.
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 6:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 8:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 10:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 12:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 14:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 16:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 18:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 20:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 22:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 24:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/irreco/InternalLircDevices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 26:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/qtirreco/Devices/RM-YD017.tira' defined at line 28:
lircd: error opening child file '/home/user/MyDocs/qtirreco/Devices/DCT2524' defined at line 29:

Any help appreciated.

thp
2010-04-16, 14:22
So it seems previous attempts of mine to get Irreco or qtirreco to work (never did) have really done in my IR transmitter, assuming it worked in the first place. I can not get Rĉmote to work either.

Edit /etc/lircd.conf with a text editor (e.g. vim) as root and remove all lines in it except for the file that includes the RaeMote remote definition (you'll spot it easily). Save the file and then restart RaeMote and it should work again :)

The culprit here is QtIrreco an Irreco, as they simply append lines to the /etc/lircd.conf file, but fail to remove these lines when they get uninstalled, resulting in a broken lircd configuration.

direx
2010-04-26, 20:03
Thanks for the application - it works very well. There are a few things I would like to mention though:

Key events like "long-play" and "long-menu" do not work (might be due to the nature of widgets on Maemo)
It would be nice if lircd could be stopped after the widget is removed (in order to save power)

Anyway, you did a great job! Simple & beautiful :)

- Dan

maxximuscool
2010-04-27, 03:51
Raemote stopped working now.

thp
2010-04-27, 11:14
Key events like "long-play" and "long-menu" do not work (might be due to the nature of widgets on Maemo)

Both assumptions are correct. First, the nature of widgets forbids the longpress. This would be easily solved by providing a toggleable "play" button on the widget (makes more sense for ffwd, rew probably) or by using a dialog/window instead of a widget.

I haven't done this yet, as it's actually a limitation / lack of knowledge of the Apple IR protocol. Longpresses are sent by a special "repeat" signal after the real signal for which I don't know the IR code.

The same is true for the "pairing" keys - if I had all the IR codes, you could control any MacBook/Mac Mini/Apple TV even if it's paired with another remote by simply trying all 256 possible keys (and at that point we can easily do the "Mac-B-Gone" thingie, too :p).

thp
2010-04-27, 11:15
Raemote stopped working now.

Did you install qtirreco or something that might have modified /etc/lircd.conf? Please post the contents of /etc/lircd.conf here.

direx
2010-04-27, 19:06
Both assumptions are correct. First, the nature of widgets forbids the longpress.
OK, thanks for the statement.

What about the lirc daemon? When lircd is running the battery drains pretty quick. Could you somehow put it to sleep (and kill it if the widget is being removed). To me this is an important QA criteria.

- Dan

eothred
2010-05-16, 13:11
I think you are missing a dependency or two that the shutter application installed. When I first installed Rĉmote, it installed successfully, but the widget never showed. I couldn't understand what was wrong, and just left it in the end. Then, when I one week ago installed shutter, the rĉmote widget suddenly displayed on one of my screens.

I hope this helps, of course ask any questions if I can help you further :)

thp
2010-05-16, 13:27
I think you are missing a dependency or two that the shutter application installed.

Yes, I was missing some dependencies there. Thanks for the report. I'm uploading RaeMote 1.3 (with fixed dependencies) as we speak.

mangal_sk8erboy
2010-05-16, 13:35
hey, ive installed qtirreco, and irreco-for-n900.
and its messed my phone up :(!
irreco-for-n900 doesnt work either!
how do I wipe out everything irreco or lirc related from my phone?
EVERYsingle file.
and will that make irreco-for-n900 work on my phone(after reinstallation)?

my irreco-for-n900 keeps crashing.just closes after a second of it being open.
please help.
the backend socket error pops up too.
i know a way around it(http://theunlockr.com/2009/11/22/how-to-set-up-the-irreco-universal-remote-on-your-n900/) but its not working!
please advise.
i really wanna control my tv and my xbox using my cellphone!
help..

thp
2010-05-17, 08:19
how do I wipe out everything irreco or lirc related from my phone?

As root in X Terminal:

apt-get remove --purge lirc

You can also re-flash your device (http://wiki.maemo.org/Flashing) to restore it to factory defaults.

flyswmrboy
2010-05-20, 17:28
hey i never got an apple remote how do i go about using the n900 as the remote?
i cant seem to get it working

thp
2010-05-22, 08:50
hey i never got an apple remote how do i go about using the n900 as the remote?
i cant seem to get it working

What kind of Apple device do you want to control? Does it have a CIR (infrared) port and is compatible with the Apple Remote?

"I can't seem to get it working" is not a very specific problem report. What did you try? What error messages do you get? What version, firmware, additional packages have you got installed?

archebyte
2010-08-30, 04:35
lircd is a CPU hog.
while running:
kia-N900:/home/user# ./powertop
Powertop 1.13.3
Sleeping for 11 seconds before sampling
Collecting data for 30 seconds
Sample interval was 00m 30s 20660us

C# | Ratio | Avg/dura | Frequency | Ratio
--------+--------+----------+-----------+--------+
C0 | 1.2% | | 600 MHz | 0.0% |
C1 | 0.0% | 0.2ms | 550 MHz | 0.0% |
C2 | 1.5% | 11.6ms | 500 MHz | 2.0% |
C3 | 20.1% | 194.7ms | 250 MHz | 98.0% |
C4 | 77.1% | 701.3ms |

IRQ# | Activity | Type | Name
--------+------------+----------------+---------------------------
56 | 300 | INTC | i2c_omap
37 | 111 | INTC | gp
11 | 77 | INTC | prcm
86 | 60 | INTC | mmc1
57 | 34 | INTC | i2c_omap
12 | 15 | INTC | DMA
67 | 12 | INTC | ssi_p1_mpu_irq0
71 | 12 | INTC | ssi_gdd
21 | 2 | INTC | SGX
311 | 2 | GPIO | ssi_p1_cawake_gpio

PID# | Activity | Name | Function Entry (Expire)
0 | 47 | <kernel core> | tick_nohz_restart_sched_tick (tick_sched_timer)
2718 | 30 | lircd | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1 | 17D| preinit | cpufreq_governor_dbs (delayed_work_timer_fn)
0 | 10 | <kernel core> | hrtimer_start (tick_sched_timer)
39 | 7 | mmcqd | queue_delayed_work (delayed_work_timer_fn)
777 | 6 | bme_RX-51 | sys_timer_settime (posix_timer_fn)
2315 | 3 | osso-xterm | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1495 | 2 | shermans | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1495 | 2 | shermans | do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
39 | 2 | mmcqd | cfq_completed_request (cfq_idle_slice_timer)
765 | 2 | dsme | do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
765 | 2 | dsme | __enqueue_rt_entity (sched_rt_period_timer)
1731 | 2 | piecewise | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1 | 2 | <kernel core> | queue_delayed_work (delayed_work_timer_fn)
777 | 2 | bme_RX-51 | sys_timer_settime (posix_timer_fn)
777 | 2 | bme_RX-51 | do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
777 | 2 | bme_RX-51 | schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
1153 | 1 | iphbd | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
29 | 1 | mv | setup_wb_timer (wb_timer_fn)
13 | 1 | pdflush | blk_plug_device (blk_unplug_timeout)
1772 | 1 | browserd | futex_wait (hrtimer_wakeup)
796 | 1 | dbus-daemon | queue_delayed_work (delayed_work_timer_fn)
813 | 1 | mce | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1245 | 1 | wlancond | schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
1245 | 1 | wlancond | queue_delayed_work (delayed_work_timer_fn)
1245 | 1 | wlancond | ieee80211_ioctl_siwpower (ieee80211_dynamic_ps_timer)
1547 | 1 | browserd | futex_wait (hrtimer_wakeup)
2826 | 1 | powertop | do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)

Power domain activity breakdown
Domain | % of time spent in states
--------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
usbhost |OFF: 100%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)
sgx |OFF: 99%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)
per |OFF: 96%|RET: 2%|INA: 0%| ON: 1%| now:(ON)
dss |OFF: 100%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)
cam |OFF: 100%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)
core |OFF: 77%|RET: 19%|INA: 0%| ON: 3%| now:(ON)
neon |OFF: 77%|RET: 20%|INA: 1%| ON: 1%| now:(ON)
mpu |OFF: 77%|RET: 20%|INA: 1%| ON: 1%| now:(ON)
iva2 |OFF: 100%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)

Clock activity breakdown at end of period
Domain | Active clocks
--------+---------------+---------------+------------------
core | SDRC | HSOTGUSB_IDLE | OMAPCTRL
| MAILBOXES |
wkup | GPT1 | 32KSYNC | GPIO1
| WDT1 |
ckgen | CORE | PERI | 96M
| 48M | 12M | 54M
| EMU_CORE |
per | GPIO2 | GPIO3 | GPIO4
| GPIO5 | GPIO6 |

Total wakeups 776, 25.9/s | IRQ 625, 20.8/s | Timers 151, 5.0/s
HW wakeups 77, 2.6/s | Real gp_timers expired 111, 3.7/s
Nokia-N900:/home/user#

When not running:
Nokia-N900:/home/user# ./powertop
Powertop 1.13.3
Sleeping for 11 seconds before sampling
Collecting data for 30 seconds
Sample interval was 00m 30s 93231us

C# | Ratio | Avg/dura | Frequency | Ratio
--------+--------+----------+-----------+--------+
C0 | 1.5% | | 600 MHz | 0.0% |
C1 | 0.0% | 0.3ms | 550 MHz | 0.0% |
C2 | 1.2% | 8.9ms | 500 MHz | 0.3% |
C3 | 7.3% | 88.0ms | 250 MHz | 99.7% |
C4 | 90.0% | 1933.1ms |

IRQ# | Activity | Type | Name
56 | 151 | INTC | i2c_omap
37 | 106 | INTC | gp
11 | 54 | INTC | prcm
57 | 34 | INTC | i2c_omap
86 | 30 | INTC | mmc1
67 | 15 | INTC | ssi_p1_mpu_irq0
71 | 12 | INTC | ssi_gdd
12 | 11 | INTC | DMA
21 | 9 | INTC | SGX
311 | 6 | GPIO | ssi_p1_cawake_gpio

PID# | Activity | Name | Function Entry (Expire)
0 | 54 | <kernel core> | tick_nohz_restart_sched_tick (tick_sched_timer)
2315 | 18 | osso-xterm | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
0 | 14 | <kernel core> | hrtimer_start (tick_sched_timer)
1 | 14D| preinit | cpufreq_governor_dbs (delayed_work_timer_fn)
39 | 8 | mmcqd | schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
777 | 7 | bme_RX-51 | sys_timer_settime (posix_timer_fn)
868 | 3 | sgx_perf | queue_delayed_work (delayed_work_timer_fn)
39 | 3 | mmcqd | queue_delayed_work (delayed_work_timer_fn)
899 | 2 | Xorg | hrtimer_start (it_real_fn)
777 | 2 | bme_RX-51 | sys_timer_settime (posix_timer_fn)
777 | 2 | bme_RX-51 | do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
777 | 2 | bme_RX-51 | schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
765 | 2 | dsme | do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
765 | 2 | dsme | __enqueue_rt_entity (sched_rt_period_timer)
1 | 2D| <kernel core> | queue_delayed_work (delayed_work_timer_fn)
1547 | 2 | browserd | futex_wait (hrtimer_wakeup)
899 | 1 | Xorg | queue_delayed_work (delayed_work_timer_fn)
1460 | 1 | livewp | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1458 | 1 | livewp | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1731 | 1 | piecewise | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1495 | 1 | shermans | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
1495 | 1 | shermans | do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
813 | 1 | mce | schedule_hrtimeout_range (hrtimer_wakeup)
39 | 1 | mmcqd | schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
1 | 1D| <kernel core> | rt_secret_timer_init (rt_secret_rebuild)
1 | 1 | <kernel core> | inet_initpeers (peer_check_expire)
2545 | 1 | powertop | do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)

Power domain activity breakdown
Domain | % of time spent in states
--------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------
usbhost |OFF: 100%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)
sgx |OFF: 97%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 2%| now:(OFF)
per |OFF: 97%|RET: 1%|INA: 0%| ON: 1%| now:(ON)
dss |OFF: 100%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)
cam |OFF: 100%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)
core |OFF: 89%|RET: 5%|INA: 0%| ON: 4%| now:(ON)
neon |OFF: 89%|RET: 7%|INA: 1%| ON: 1%| now:(ON)
mpu |OFF: 89%|RET: 7%|INA: 1%| ON: 1%| now:(ON)
iva2 |OFF: 100%|RET: 0%|INA: 0%| ON: 0%| now:(OFF)

Clock activity breakdown at end of period
Domain | Active clocks
--------+---------------+---------------+------------------
core | SDRC | HSOTGUSB_IDLE | OMAPCTRL
| MAILBOXES |
wkup | GPT1 | 32KSYNC | GPIO1
| WDT1 |
ckgen | CORE | PERI | 96M
| 48M | 12M | 54M
| EMU_CORE |
per | GPIO2 | GPIO3 | GPIO4
| GPIO5 | GPIO6 |

Total wakeups 576, 19.2/s | IRQ 428, 14.3/s | Timers 148, 4.9/s
HW wakeups 54, 1.8/s | Real gp_timers expired 106, 3.5/s

Unfortunately, Raemote causes a significant amount of battery drain because lircd is running even when the widget is removed from the desktop.

In QtIrreco, lircd is shutdown when the application is closed. See Bug 10040 (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10040). This bug should really be against Raemote. It would be great if Raemote could be optimized to save battery.

Great app by the way!

thp
2010-08-31, 11:59
Unfortunately, Raemote causes a significant amount of battery drain because lircd is running even when the widget is removed from the desktop.

So, this is really a bug in lircd and not in RaeMote then? Closing down lircd could have side-effects on other applications (imagine removing the widget while some other application that utilizes the IR port is running).

I wonder why lircd keeps waking up and doing something if there are no requests from other applications?

archebyte
2010-08-31, 12:58
So, this is really a bug in lircd and not in RaeMote then? Closing down lircd could have side-effects on other applications (imagine removing the widget while some other application that utilizes the IR port is running).

I wonder why lircd keeps waking up and doing something if there are no requests from other applications?

There is definitely an issue with lircd. But it isn't much noticable in Qtirreco because its not running constantly.

To address the side-effects of killing lircd, is it possible to run a second instance of lircd on a different port that can be safely killed when the wodget is removed? Just a thought.

thp
2010-09-02, 18:39
There is definitely an issue with lircd. But it isn't much noticable in Qtirreco because its not running constantly.

To address the side-effects of killing lircd, is it possible to run a second instance of lircd on a different port that can be safely killed when the wodget is removed? Just a thought.

I thought the IR device could only be opened by one process, and that that was the whole point of lircd in the first place? Although I don't know, and haven't looked into it that much.

If RaeMote was an app (and not a widget), this would be much easier - it could just display a prompt if the user wants to keep the IR daemon running with the option to "always kill lircd on exit".

jackdoor
2011-05-18, 19:21
I have installed Raemote and the widget is showing up, my n900 is also sending out an IR signal(tested using the webcam), but my macbook will not respond.
I have the newest macbook model.
What can I do to fix the problem?

thp
2011-05-19, 11:54
I have installed Raemote and the widget is showing up, my n900 is also sending out an IR signal(tested using the webcam), but my macbook will not respond.
I have the newest macbook model.
What can I do to fix the problem?

Make sure that your MacBook is not paired with any other remote. The app sends out codes only for unpaired remotes.

jackdoor
2011-05-20, 10:03
The problem is that Apple stopped making the Macbooks with IR receivers, only the Macbook pros or older Airs have IR.

kurtis
2011-05-28, 22:51
Hey,

I'm trying to get this to work with my iMac. The Real Apple Remote works fine. It's not paired or disabled (as verified under the security tab in the System Preferences). It's as if the iMac doesn't catch the signal or something...

I'm using the "Otterbox" case. I don't really see where the infrared light would even be emitted. Is it coming from the little LED on the front? I've tried with the shutter open but I highly doubt that's the source.

Let me know if you have any ideas! My iMac was purchased at the end of 2010 and it's running the latest Snow Leapord.

Thanks

thp
2011-05-29, 11:42
I'm using the "Otterbox" case. I don't really see where the infrared light would even be emitted. Is it coming from the little LED on the front? I've tried with the shutter open but I highly doubt that's the source.

The IR transmitter is the small black square with two corners rounded next to the two-stage (focus + shoot) camera button. You can check if it transmits IR codes by using RaeMote while having your iSight (or any other webcam) pointed to that spot. It should blink in rapid fashion while sending out codes.

kurtis
2011-05-29, 12:55
The IR transmitter is the small black square with two corners rounded next to the two-stage (focus + shoot) camera button. You can check if it transmits IR codes by using RaeMote while having your iSight (or any other webcam) pointed to that spot. It should blink in rapid fashion while sending out codes.

I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks!