PDA

View Full Version : Is there a solution for USSD numbers & wacky usb port/charger yet? they're the only thing keeping me from getting an n900.

trohax
2010-03-09, 14:15
So, what is it?

are they fixed yet? any knews? I really need a new phone; I'm stuck with a nokia 1100 because my n95 broke and the n900 seems perfect except for these two issues..

If it's not the n900, I would have no choice but to go with the xperia x2 from sony ):

cjard
2010-03-09, 14:20
USSD can be sent using an addon app, like most of the "must have" functionality that is missing, the community is hacking it in while they wait for nokia

Not really sure what the wacky port is; if you mean it breaks, i guess.. be gentle with it!

trohax
2010-03-09, 14:21
USSD can be sent using an addon app, like most of the "must have" functionality that is missing, the community is hacking it in while they wait for nokia

Not really sure what the wacky port is; if you mean it breaks, i guess.. be gentle with it!

I'm not really sure either, I have a friend who owns the device who complains a lot about not being able to charge his phone because of something that has to do with the usb port and he said it was a common problem.

soeiro
2010-03-09, 14:39
I would suggest that you double check if you need to use the SIM card menu with your operator. There is no way to do this on the N900.

This is typically used to manage and buy credits, access bank accounts, activate and deactivate operator features, etc. However, it seems that not all operators in the world use it. When they do, N900 owners can't use them.

trohax
2010-03-09, 14:42
I would suggest that you double check if you need to use the SIM card menu with your operator. There is no way to do this on the N900.

This is typically used to manage and buy credits, access bank accounts, activate and deactivate operator features, etc. However, it seems that not all operators in the world use it. When they do, N900 owners can't use them.

Nope, no menu needed, I just need to punch in a couple of digits to check my balance and I also need that to refill it by entering a serial number from a prepaid card.

flydeep
2010-03-09, 14:49
Unless you are dialing a number staring with * or #, I haven't seen a problem. If you are dialing a regular phone number and entering a series of numbers at teleprompt, I do not see a problem. But then again, it may vary with different countries.

Nope, no menu needed, I just need to punch in a couple of digits to check my balance and I also need that to refill it by entering a serial number from a prepaid card.

soeiro
2010-03-09, 14:52

So you are good to go. For USSD it works with a workaround. As for the USB problem, you just have to be extra careful.

trohax
2010-03-09, 15:12
So you are good to go. For USSD it works with a workaround. As for the USB problem, you just have to be extra careful.

I don't like being extra careful. I apparently tend to drop my phone more than I should. I hope that there is a fix for it if it completely falls off,atleast.

My n95 lasted me 3 years and I remember the only problem with the n95 was its media player. It wouldn't show up the songs that I add to it and it was really annoying. and it seemed to be a nokia thing (atleast that's what my google-fu came out with), does this device have this problem too?

Rob1n
2010-03-09, 16:08
I'm not really sure either, I have a friend who owns the device who complains a lot about not being able to charge his phone because of something that has to do with the usb port and he said it was a common problem.

The problem's with the chargers not following the current USB specification (which requires the data pins to be shorted for a dedicated charging device). Recent models should be okay (the last few I've bought have been fine) - if not, complain to the manufacturers.