PDA

View Full Version : MMS - is it true - will not be supported by Nokia.

chrisp7
2010-03-10, 00:12
I dont want to discuss the pros and cons, for me its massively important and for me fMMS (as it stands) with its current lack of integration makes it unusable.Please can someone confirm/deny that Nokia wont officially support MMS. (a standard function for all mobile 3g/GSM devices).

UNderworld
2010-03-10, 00:18
its not on the spec list on HERE (http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/) so I guess thats a no-go

maxximuscool
2010-03-10, 00:19
FYI, I think Nokia stated that the N900 will not support MMS when the promotion started. I don't think you've read the fine print that there is no MMS mention in the specification.

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

Before you buy the device you should have a read of the specification. MMS won't be officially support by Nokia, similar to FM radio, the components are there but it is for the developers to make use of it. This is the reason why Nokia stated that it is an OPENSOURCE linux device.

There is no need to posting questions again and again.. The answer is NO. If Nokia stated that the N900 support MMS on their specification site then the Nokia will be supporting it somehow. But they did not stated that the N900 supporting officially on paper right now..

Tizbad2k
2010-03-10, 00:21
Why is MMS so important to you an others? I just dont see the need for it given the integration of push email and other push like services such as sky and google talk. MMS also usually costs significantly more per use than a regular text.

Just wondering....

ioan
2010-03-10, 00:27
Just wondering....

I bet you'll find your answer on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexting

chrisp7
2010-03-10, 00:29
FYI, I think Nokia stated that the N900 will not support MMS when the promotion started. I don't think you've read the fine print that there is no MMS mention in the specification.

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

Before you buy the device you should have a read of the specification. MMS won't be officially support by Nokia, similar to FM radio, the components are there but it is for the developers to make use of it. This is the reason why Nokia stated that it is an OPENSOURCE linux device.

There is no need to posting questions again and again.. The answer is NO. If Nokia stated that the N900 support MMS on their specification site then the Nokia will be supporting it somehow. But they did not stated that the N900 supporting officially on paper right now..

I read the specification - the implication was however that it WOULD support MMS, and infact (to a lesser extent) that it would support portrait mode (as implied by Nokia representatives).

err I havent posted this question again and again, and looking in the search section I couldnt see a definitive answer.

Why is MMS so important to you an others? I just dont see the need for it given the integration of push email and other push like services such as sky and google talk. MMS also usually costs significantly more per use than a regular text.

Just wondering....

To instantly send a photo to a friend on a smartphone - ie the vast majority of people. Email is not the same.

jenius
2010-03-10, 00:32
a quick snap of a pic n then txt it to the person u want to have see, they can then see quite quickly and effortlessly.... it's important because it's a common thing. So far, it is the thing I dislike most about the n900. Not a dealbreaker, obviously, but my buddies can't send me pics of ta-ta's, and I hate it. fMMS is ok, but a chore to use each time a nudie comes in.

geneven
2010-03-10, 00:32
Chrisp7:

I am just wondering why you haven't posted to the fMMS thread telling the developer what you want. Is there something about MMS support that can't be provided by an individual but can only be provided by an incorporated entity?

By the way, I have seen it posted by Nokia employees saying officially that Nokia will never provide MMS support for the N900. So that seems final.

maxximuscool
2010-03-10, 00:34
I read the specification - the implication was however that it WOULD support MMS, and infact (to a lesser extent) that it would support portrait mode (as implied by Nokia representatives).

err I havent posted this question again and again, and looking in the search section I couldnt see a definitive answer.

Portrait mode may not be officially support by Nokia, it may or may not one day support by the community here. People already brainstorming on how to proceed on this matter here.

Same goes as MMS is being support be the community right now. fMMS is the application you may need to install to make your device MMS-able. In my point of view MMS is not important in my everyday life. I barely touched it at all on my other MMS capable devices.

The only time I gave it a played is when it first came out, otherwise it's a technology that outdated and inefficient and could also lead to bullying in schooling as well.

I don't find MMS a must have functionality toward N900. That may be just me though.

Simple solution:

If you want to MMS a friend then buy a cheap phone for that purpose :) otherwise email them.

FYI, Nokia N900 is not a SMART PHONE; It is a Mobile Computing Device + Phone capability. Which for short "Internet tablet phone"

chrisp7
2010-03-10, 00:35
Chrisp7:

I am just wondering why you haven't posted to the fMMS thread telling the developer what you want. Is there something about MMS support that can't be provided by an individual but can only be provided by an incorporated entity?

Yes. proper integration to conversation app. Seamless integration to mobile networks (impossible). To receive MMS's I have to connect via a non standard internet connection - making fMMS unworkable for me and many others.

chrisp7
2010-03-10, 00:38
Portrait mode may not be officially support by Nokia, it may or may not one day support by the community here. People already brainstorming on how to proceed on this matter here.

Same goes as MMS is being support be the community right now. fMMS is the application you may need to install to make your device MMS-able. In my point of view MMS is not important in my everyday life. I barely touched it at all on my other MMS capable devices.

The only time I gave it a played is when it first came out, otherwise it's a technology that outdated and inefficient and could also lead to bullying in schooling as well.

I don't find MMS a must have functionality toward N900. That may be just me though.

I have been involved in brainstorming, I have both thought of ideas, solutions an contributed to debates. After 4 months... only 4/5 applications have ever been created as a result of brainstorm (have a look on the brainstorm status!!), Ive come to the logical conclusion that Brainstorm is a talking shop - and nothing else. Its not working and applications are not being created as a result of it. This for me is killing the N900, its very sad indeed.

Neegs
2010-03-10, 00:38

Just wondering....

shouldn't peoples reactions to the lack of mms be enough of a reason.regardless of the fact its old technology lots of people use it. just because there are better options doesnt mean the old method should be thrown out the window

its the same question as why use a normal land line or mobile which costs considerably more than VOIP. VOIP is free (with data package or wifi) your n900 has it but i bet most people here still use the normal phone.

what your saying is the same thing apple tried to say when the first iphone came out. who needs mms you have email. due to pretty much the entire world laughing at them they soon caved in. do you think your argument is going to change things lol

either way i use mms lots, or did but im gonna start playing about with fmms now i know nokia are not going to official support it. the popularity of the app alone should show how much people want mms

maxximuscool
2010-03-10, 00:49
I think one day Nokia might consider people whining about the MMS and decides to add it in the official. But it is one day :D So keep up your hope guys.. Who ever wanting MMS, just keep it up.

Let us pray to the lord Nokia!! Oh dear king of all king, please bring us the MMS that we are waiting for on the N900, I know that it will eventually appear before us. With our true spirit and soul, we may pray in Nokia name, Amen!

AKA: Sacarsm lol

kbeeveer46
2010-03-10, 02:07

Just wondering....
Because not all of my friends have smart phones with email access. Picture messages are much easier to receive and view then pulling up your phone's email client.

Ronaldo
2010-03-10, 02:17
here is my copy and paste LOL

WTF!???? are you serious!? Why the HELL wasnt this made clear by Nokia. All this time I have been waiting.

This could be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Nokia, you have f***ed up with the N900. Im livid.

you cant be that disapointed since fmms has a very good integration and hopefully in future will auto download mms which would be same as other phones/official product

barc0de
2010-03-10, 02:17
Considering the power of the platform I see no other reason besides laziness in creating an integrated MMS solution. I mean how hard can it be for Nokia?

The N900 may be an internet tablet but the fact remains that it's also a phone. Customers have come to expect certain standards for the phones they buy and the whole point of this is to get the best of Both worlds.

x61
2010-03-10, 02:18
Anybody else noticed the price of the N900 keeps on falling and falling? Maybe mine is next to be sold at a discounted rate.

Tizbad2k
2010-03-10, 02:20
points understood, especially about friends not having smartphones and about people wanting it in general.

But i wouldnt liken it to voip vs mobile or landline. it doesnt require using completely different hardware/infrastructure.

Ronaldo
2010-03-10, 02:20
Considering the power of the platform I see no other reason besides laziness in creating an integrated MMS solution. I mean how hard can it be for Nokia?

The N900 may be an internet tablet but the fact remains that it's also a phone. Customers have standards for the phones and the whole point of this is to get the best of Both worlds.

you are correct in saying its a phone because its sold mainly with phone contracts. i do feel nokia need to understand that people are buying this product and networks are selling it because its a phone. I know i would not have got it if it wasnt a "phone".

I think nokia should awknowledge this!

Mandor
2010-03-10, 03:10
"No MMS in Maemo 5 from Nokia" was added to the wiki page.

http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect

craftyguy
2010-03-10, 03:24
After 4 months... only 4/5 applications have ever been created as a result of brainstorm.

Dude! I'd say you're doing better than most of us if 80% of your brainstorms are implemented!

schettj
2010-03-10, 04:37
I dont want to discuss the pros and cons, for me its massively important and for me fMMS (as it stands) with its current lack of integration makes it unusable.Please can someone confirm/deny that Nokia wont officially support MMS. (a standard function for all mobile 3g/GSM devices).

1) if it was massively important then why in heaven's name did you buy this device

2) "a standard function" isn't true. A common function, and often one left to the second major revision of a new operating system, often well over a year later (iPhone, Android) - actually the Palm Pre was the first OS in recent times to release with MMS support. Well done, palm.

3) it's not gonna happen for maemo 5.

vietn900
2010-03-10, 05:06
BUT .... will it happen for MEEGO.....? :P

m1cke
2010-03-10, 08:23
In the early videos where nokia reps showed the N900 they said that MMS would come in a update..

fMMS works but I really want it implemented in the conversations app.
MMS might not be that popular in some countries but in Sweden it is. I know it is outdated but my mother doesent have a computer and is not allowed private email at work. So an MMS with pics of her grandchildren is really something for her as she lives far away.

really strange that Nokia wont implement this, but if they want to reach the masses with the next device I think MMS is a must..

noobmonkey
2010-03-10, 08:30
In the early videos where nokia reps showed the N900 they said that MMS would come in a update..

fMMS works but I really want it implemented in the conversations app.
MMS might not be that popular in some countries but in Sweden it is. I know it is outdated but my mother doesent have a computer and is not allowed private email at work. So an MMS with pics of her grandchildren is really something for her as she lives far away.

really strange that Nokia wont implement this, but if they want to reach the masses with the next device I think MMS is a must..
Have you checked the fmms thread?

Frals has received help from Nokia... - and has a lot to do... but there's no reason why he can't make it simpler to use :D

fmms isn't a must, it's an option...... I would have liked it, but happy to wait for frals :D

If people are that annoyed that it doesn't have it... you didn't do your research, and you didn't get the right device for you...

:D Simples......

rash.m2k
2010-03-10, 08:32
I don't believe this, Nokia won't support MMS? I don't think so!

Sure Nokia has higher priorities BUT it WILL creep into the Nokia N900 at some point in the future.

There is no way on this earth Nokia will not support MMS (and Video Calling).

chrisp7
2010-03-10, 08:38
Dude! I'd say you're doing better than most of us if 80% of your brainstorms are implemented!

Im not talking about mine - Im talking about the ENTIRE brainstorm forum. 4/5 apps created as a result of ALL of that creative input. Death spiral.

noobmonkey
2010-03-10, 08:40

Sure Nokia has higher priorities BUT it WILL creep into the Nokia N900 at some point in the future.

erm, they have said they will not support it? and that They will support Frals, heck they even flew him to see them :D

Isn't the fact they have said that, a giveaway that they will not do it themselves?

daemonfin
2010-03-10, 08:41

They have said that they are not going to support it officially, fMMS does that, why people just donīt understand that.

chrisp7
2010-03-10, 08:42
Have you checked the fmms thread?

Frals has received help from Nokia... - and has a lot to do... but there's no reason why he can't make it simpler to use :D

fmms isn't a must, it's an option...... I would have liked it, but happy to wait for frals :D

If people are that annoyed that it doesn't have it... you didn't do your research, and you didn't get the right device for you...

I knew the N900 wouldnt have MMS and was very happy to wait it out as the implication from Nokia was that it was a work in progress and that MMS would be added later, portait mode etc. It turns out that MMS now WONT be added and the brainstorm community ISNT creating apps. The N900 isnt in a good state imo. If the next firmware update isnt a massive step forward (which it wont be) Im selling, it so sad, the N900 has/d MASSIVE potential and Nokia seem to have dropped the ball for consumers...again.

Fargus
2010-03-10, 08:57

The N900 may be an internet tablet but the fact remains that it's also a phone. Customers have come to expect certain standards for the phones they buy and the whole point of this is to get the best of Both worlds.

MMS requires a shed load of related technologies underneath to work as I am sure the developer of the fMMS package will be more than happy to tell you.

Nokia is a huge organisation but the Maemo team are a tiny part of that. The device has a number of issues that need to be resolved. As MMS was never stated as a supported feature I would suspect that fixing issuses with stated features makes more sense first.

eitama
2010-03-10, 09:05
I knew the N900 wouldnt have MMS and was very happy to wait it out as the implication from Nokia was that it was a work in progress and that MMS would be added later, portait mode etc. It turns out that MMS now WONT be added and the brainstorm community ISNT creating apps. The N900 isnt in a good state imo. If the next firmware update isnt a massive step forward (which it wont be) Im selling, it so sad, the N900 has/d MASSIVE potential and Nokia seem to have dropped the ball for consumers...again.

Chrisp7 :

I understand you completely. I feel the same way.
I am missing many things which were standard in my N95.
I can also do some stuff that I could not do in my N95.

For those claiming Chrisp and I didn't do enough research before buying the phone, There were posts and videos about MMS and Portrait mode being developed and that they will be added later.

About other peeps suggesting the usage of fMMS,
fMMS is not seamless, it's good, but not as we would want it to be.
I'd like the ability to spontaneously send PICs and SOUNDs to a lot of friends without the need to connect to an access point, and send. And to receive without having to do anything!

MMS is good, cause right now there is no alternative which is adopted commonly enough, to start excluding MMS.

You have DVD, Blueray, FlashMemoryCards - And you still use Compact Discs don't you?

twaelti
2010-03-10, 09:32
It's wrong. Nokia supports frals in making fMMS good for Maemo 5 :-)

I like MMS, I want MMS - and I think that fMMS might well achieve a "good enough" functionality soon. Conversations integration is not that important, it will be enough if the connection switching happens automatically. And this seems to be on the roadmap.
(did you know that you can already send photos with fMMS directly from the photo app using the Share function?)

m1cke
2010-03-10, 09:39

Thats what I was saying.. Nokia reps said it would get implemented. So I knew I had to wait for it but now it seems it is not coming.. belive me I knew what i was getting.

Hopefully frals (with help from Nokia) can get it fully implemented..

noobmonkey
2010-03-10, 09:40

Hmmm sorry still don't agree with you....

Fmms is going well... it's improved ten fold in a month, and there is no reason why it can't be integrated. - Frals has discussed this :D

The brainstorm community is an interesting one... I agree not everything is being done, but as the device and OS is still new... The developers most likely are working on their first apps? - or apps they specifically want.

So in my case for example i created a brainstorm for a healthcheck idea - and my first app - is a healthcheck app :D - nothing saying i wont delve into brainstorm later and pick other ideas i like :D

I feel that you are going to read into the state of things as you wish :D - your perogative - i'm very excited about the future of the N900 :D

eitama
2010-03-10, 09:42
It's wrong. Nokia supports frals in making fMMS good for Maemo 5 :-)

I like MMS, I want MMS - and I think that fMMS might well achieve a "good enough" functionality soon. Conversations integration is not that important, it will be enough if the connection switching happens automatically. And this seems to be on the roadmap.
(did you know that you can already send photos with fMMS directly from the photo app using the Share function?)

If fMMS will be able to change connection, send the photo, and reconnect to the other connection + receive MMS without any action needed, i'll be completely satisfied, I don't need integration with conversation window, more over, I don't use MMS that much, and so adding to conversation window will just be a waste (:

noobmonkey
2010-03-10, 09:45
If fMMS will be able to change connection, send the photo, and reconnect to the other connection + receive MMS without any action needed, i'll be completely satisfied, I don't need integration with conversation window, more over, I don't use MMS that much, and so adding to conversation window will just be a waste (:

I agree - getting the connection issues sorted is probably the final bug for most :D - as a proof of concept i think its pretty amazing :D

rash.m2k
2010-03-10, 09:56
Maybe they have said they won't support MMS in maemo 5 - thats fine BUT in the development timeline/map of Maemo 6/Meego it will be implemented.

Full MMS support WILL come to the N900 via Maemo 6/MeeGo. It just doesn't compute for Nokia NOT to do it!

noobmonkey
2010-03-10, 10:30
Maybe they have said they won't support MMS in maemo 5 - thats fine BUT in the development timeline/map of Maemo 6/Meego it will be implemented.

Full MMS support WILL come to the N900 via Maemo 6/MeeGo. It just doesn't compute for Nokia NOT to do it!

Not that i'm disagreeing, but do you have a link with proof on that one :D

rash.m2k
2010-03-10, 10:36
Not that i'm disagreeing, but do you have a link with proof on that one :D

I don't have any proof, but I simply cannot comprehend it. It just doesn't make sense! A top of the range N series phone without MMS support? Without Video calling?

No, I don't see it staying this way for long.

jsa
2010-03-10, 10:53
I'm inclined to agree with rash.m2k. This is the first Maemo device to have any cellular connectivity at all so I'm not surprised that every single feature isn't implemented. They had to get the device out at some point and that meant leaving stuff out that they didn't consider a priority.

The way they are touting M6 as mass-market ready I'd be surprised if it didn't have both MMS and 3G video calls out of the box.

HumanPenguin
2010-03-10, 11:01
Hmmm sorry still don't agree with you....

Fmms is going well... it's improved ten fold in a month, and there is no reason why it can't be integrated. - Frals has discussed this :D

The brainstorm community is an interesting one... I agree not everything is being done, but as the device and OS is still new... The developers most likely are working on their first apps? - or apps they specifically want.

So in my case for example i created a brainstorm for a healthcheck idea - and my first app - is a healthcheck app :D - nothing saying i wont delve into brainstorm later and pick other ideas i like :D

I feel that you are going to read into the state of things as you wish :D - your perogative - i'm very excited about the future of the N900 :D
Lets also remember that the stuff being done with fMMS will lead the way for other developers to use better integration.

With a little pushing we can also get nopkia to provide help with integrating into conversations.

Maemo is supposed to be an open source platform. If users want features that nokia do not support the best approch is to nag them to help developers here with missing information. Overall we will get more functionality that way.

oxpo
2010-03-10, 11:11

And this already works for some people (I haven't connected manually to the mms-APN with the latest few versions).

I agree with you that it doesn't need integration with conversation, as I see it.

/oxpo

eitama
2010-03-10, 11:21
And this already works for some people (I haven't connected manually to the mms-APN with the latest few versions).

I agree with you that it doesn't need integration with conversation, as I see it.

/oxpo

What about for receiving? also no need to manually connect?

sjgadsby
2010-03-10, 11:38

I would appreciate it greatly if you would provide a link to one such video.

Maybe they have said they won't support MMS in maemo 5...

Nokia have indeed:

Said that, we have no intention of supporting MMS in Fremantle ourselves. That was and is our plan.

However, as has been pointed out previously in this thread:

We have contacted frals to congratulate him for his work, and to offer him concrete help in areas where help is missing. Nothing new, we have been doing this with other Fremantle stars (I guess nobody doubts that frals is a Star). :)

We will help him with the UI in the lines of the UX Meets Code hackfest, and we will also help dealing with some Maemo interfaces fMMS needs (the release of the wappushd-dev package in the last Maemo SDK update was a first step).

In fact we have invited frals to visit the Maemo headquarters in Helsinki, so he can meet our developers and designers face to face.

chrisp7
2010-03-10, 13:11
Why has this been moved from the N900 forum?

Ronaldo
2010-03-10, 13:15
bevause you are talking about a app for n900

raverpol
2010-03-10, 13:21

yeap! You dont need connect manually to receive mms. You get push msg and all you need to do is tap on it.

sjgadsby
2010-03-10, 13:22

This thread has to do with Maemo 5's lack of native MMS support. The N900's hardware doesn't prevent MMS support, and were there other Maemo 5 devices on the market in addition to the N900, there's no reason to believe Nokia would provide official MMS functionality on some of them but not others. So, "Maemo 5" not "N900".

chrisp7
2010-03-10, 13:23
bevause you are talking about a app for n900

?? Its N900 related is it not. In addition its not an 'app' its an integral function for a GSM/3G device.

Nokia verbally said MMS would be coming to the N900, they let the community write and write saying it would be supported. Why didnt they come flat out and say the N900 wont support MMS. Im sick of Nokias disingenuous ways.

sjgadsby
2010-03-10, 13:25
Nokia verbally said MMS would be coming to the N900...

Sorry, but citation needed.

schettj
2010-03-10, 14:23
?? Its N900 related is it not. In addition its not an 'app' its an integral function for a GSM/3G device.

This kinda sums up the whole issue with the maemo.org n900 forum. The n900 forum discusses hardware. Maemo 5 is the software running on the n900, which is missing an app from Nokia that does mms.

So, yeah, the thread belongs HERE. You didn't buy a Samsung Flip Phone, you bought a linux handheld w/3g radio, along with the maemo 5 OS. The sooner you come to grips with that the sooner you will begin to understand why it is that this post makes little sense.

skalogre
2010-03-10, 17:30
I don't have any proof, but I simply cannot comprehend it. It just doesn't make sense! A top of the range N series phone without MMS support? Without Video calling?

No, I don't see it staying this way for long.

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Read what you wrote. "A top of the range N series phone"

This is not a top of the range N series phone. The Symbian devices you're used to are not the same as the N900. Beyond the usual points (step 4 out of 5, internet tablet/mobile computer with telephony, aimed at early adopters enthusiasts & developers) there is the issue that it was never put in the same context as those devices. This isn't Howardforums where things are pigeonholed that way. Plus there was no concrete evidence or statement that these features would be added.

This kinda sums up the whole issue with the maemo.org n900 forum. The n900 forum discusses hardware. Maemo 5 is the software running on the n900, which is missing an app from Nokia that does mms.

So, yeah, the thread belongs HERE. You didn't buy a Samsung Flip Phone, you bought a linux handheld w/3g radio, along with the maemo 5 OS. The sooner you come to grips with that the sooner you will begin to understand why it is that this post makes little sense.

Yes.

rash.m2k
2010-03-10, 17:39
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Read what you wrote. "A top of the range N series phone"

This is not a top of the range N series phone..................
Yes.

What does it say on the back of your phone? Mine clearly say Nseries.

Sure it's running debian and more like an N810 with phone capabilities, but Nokia are not the type to leave out features like Apple.

They provide a complete solution, and we won't see in Maemo 5 as that will be replaced soon, but we will certainly see it make it to the N900 be it via Meego, or an update.

Rushmore
2010-03-10, 17:46
Lot of spinning in this thread by some. Nokia implied both MMS and protrait would be coming. No problem for me- back to my G1 and N900 is a media device / back-up phone. Great for that function, not so great compared to the G1 in regards to smartphone function.

Now that Android has a very good Amiga emulator, my N900 seems even less of a concern. Ruff n Tumble and Stunt Track Racer playing 100% with sound on the 528mhz G1. Cool :)

oxpo
2010-03-11, 07:09

Same thing there. I tap the push-message, fmms opens and receive the message.

/oxpo

edit: Oh, someone else had already answered that.

eitama
2010-03-11, 07:11
Same thing there. I tap the push-message, fmms opens and receive the message.

/oxpo

How do you know you are expecting a message?
or you get the normal sms saying you have a multimedia sms waiting?

oxpo
2010-03-11, 07:13
How do you know you are expecting a message?
or you get the normal sms saying you have a multimedia sms waiting?

You get a special push message.

/oxpo

chrget
2010-03-11, 13:56
Sorry, but citation needed.

Oh enough already! :mad:

I know for a definite fact that at least the german Nokia website had the line "MMS: In Vorbereitung" in the tech specs for the N900 when they started touting it all over the place. I have seen it with my very own eyes. Of course, Nokia, making sure their stuff is not archived, and me being too naive to save a screenshot makes it hard to prove things like that now. :rolleyes:

Fact is, while the development team may always have known that MMS wasn't on the roadmap, marketing went berzerk on this supposed new flagship and touted it as the next great thing since the invention of sliced bread. :D

Obviously there have been some serious issues regarding communication inside Nokia when it comes to this device, and contrary to what people say, it has been offered as something it is not.

This doesn't make the device any less great, but I am sick of people telling others that essentially they were too stupid to pick the right product.

Regards,
Chris.

volt
2010-03-11, 14:20
What does it say on the back of your phone? Mine clearly say Nseries.

I can see where you went wrong. You are slightly mistaken.

You said it was a top of the line Nseries phone. It is in fact a top of the line Nseries frisbee (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36312).

sjgadsby
2010-03-11, 17:25
...I am sick of people telling others that essentially they were too stupid to pick the right product.

I have never said any such thing. The closest I might of come was several months prior to the launch of the N900 when I told a blogger that if, as he claimed, system-wide portrait mode support is the most important feature to his smartphone-loving readers, then it might be best if he used his blogging powers to warn those potential buyers away from the N900. I think that's a fair distance removed from speaking badly of existing owners due to assumptions made regarding their decision to purchase though.

All I asked was for pointers to one or more locations in which Nokia officially promised MMS support was coming. I asked, because I have never seen such a promise myself, despite having followed N900 news closely (including having read every thread in these forums) during the year+ leading up to the N900's launch.

What I had seen was:
statements by Nokia prior to the N900's release that the N900 did not support MMS
posts by bloggers and forum users lamenting the lack of MMS support
posts by bloggers and forum users pointing out that MMS support is a software issue and could be added later
rapid mutation of that thought in the blogosphere and forum echo chambers to "MMS support is a software issue and would be added later"
Nokia reps deliberately avoiding "yes" or "no" answers to questions of future MMS support, instead pointing to studies showing lack of MMS use and to the resources it would take to make MMS happen
eventual confirmation in the fMMS thread that Nokia would not be providing official MMS support for Maemo 5, but would help fMMS improve

So, I appreciate you posting:

I know for a definite fact that at least the german Nokia website had the line "MMS: In Vorbereitung" in the tech specs for the N900 when they started touting it all over the place. I have seen it with my very own eyes.

I just wish archive.org hadn't stopped capturing nokia.de in 2008. I'd like to see what you saw.

ndi
2010-03-11, 19:49
Sorry to hop on "me too but no evidence" train but I also distinctly remember MMS and video call as being scheduled for "later".

I don't dismiss the fact that I don't remember my source and therefore it's possible it wasn't Nokia's site -maybe a retailer- still, what's important is that it'll never come, which is kind of bad from a completeness POV. fMMS is far, FAR from usable, I couldn't even get it to work here on Vodafone RO. Network settings maybe. Could be finalized, though, there's nothing keeping it from being fully integrated. I didn't want chunks or images and sounds in my Conversations anyway.

I don't lament the loss of MMS, most if not all carriers have mail or web retrieval of MMSs and all one loses is convenience. Everyone I know has an e-mail or IM account, so there's that. Plus, 90K. What is this, 1997?

IMO MMS is a transitional, born-dead tech anyway.

Yes, it's sour grapes syndrome.

Ronaldo
2010-03-11, 22:43
here is a video i made to show how easy it is. i did get a sms from mate right after mms. was using web cam to record so excuse the quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHvu1XmEzo

ndi
2010-03-11, 23:22
That's the easy part. My phone refuses to link to the MMS settings from Vodafone RO's page. Network error (BTW, can we get more than that please?)

Edit: Wait, it connected. Now I crashed fMMS. Grrr...

Edit2: Now it doesn't work at all. Oh well, it's beta. Rebooting now ...

Edit 3: It just sits there, saying "resizing image, this might take a while". It's been 3 minutes and it's a 640x480 image. Maybe a local file got borked on the hang? Oh well, at least the settings worked, I have an IP and all.

Ronaldo
2010-03-11, 23:23
That's the easy part. My phone refuses to link to the MMS settings from Vodafone RO's page. Network error (BTW, can we get more than that please?)

are you sure you have the correct APN settings for MMS?

chrget
2010-03-12, 08:24
I have never said any such thing.
I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was implying you did. It was more a general comment to the bazillion threads which I have followed here but so far stayed out of. They tend to follow the pattern of someone saying that the N900 (supposedly or not) was marketed/endorsed as having X, and a group of people jumping on said person telling them that no, they were simply not researching well enough. In the end, they are clubbed down with the 'proof' argument -- which may sound reasonable at the surface, but in the end is used to disqualify the statements made by the initial 'whiner'.

So I admit it was a knee-jerk reaction on my part along the line of 'oh sheesh, not again!'.

I asked, because I have never seen such a promise myself, despite having followed N900 news closely (including having read every thread in these forums) during the year+ leading up to the N900's launch.

That may indeed be the 'problem'. I will happily admit that I have only been a fringe observer of the Maemo scene for some time now, being quite happy with my 770 for several years now. When the N900 was officially announced, I did have a look mostly at a few (reasonably respectable) sources as well as official Nokia channels to form an opinion as to getting one for myself or not.

I followed the unraveling drama about the delays and availability then, and in the end picked one up rather spontaneously on December 1st when I got the chance. And yes, there was quite a bit of disappointment for me. The lines 'What the ...' and 'How could they (not) ...' were on my mind more than once (and sometimes are to this day).

In the end, I realized what must have happened, which is a complete breakdown of communication between development/project management and marketing. The device is an amazing piece of work, a technological masterpiece if you look under the hood. But the 'user experience' (as it is called nowadays) is seriously lacking in several departments if you expect a modern-day high-end smartphone. And yes, Nokia marketing has at least played openly with that misconception, which is my major gripe -- but, I fear, they may have done that because they didn't know any better. Then again, their job is mainly to sell devices. Honi soit qui mal y pense ...

I just wish archive.org hadn't stopped capturing nokia.de in 2008. I'd like to see what you saw.

Yes, I was a bit peeved at that myself when the whole discussion about MMS started and checked there. And I cursed myself that I didn't save a screen shot -- something I tend to do for every eBay offer I placed a winning bid on :D

Regards,
Chris.

Ulrik
2010-03-12, 08:31

Edit: Wait, it connected. Now I crashed fMMS. Grrr...

Edit2: Now it doesn't work at all. Oh well, it's beta. Rebooting now ...

Edit 3: It just sits there, saying "resizing image, this might take a while". It's been 3 minutes and it's a 640x480 image. Maybe a local file got borked on the hang? Oh well, at least the settings worked, I have an IP and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHvu1XmEzo

That guy uses fMMS and Vodafone. So it does work.

Brank
2010-03-12, 08:43
I'm jumping in two give my two cents with not knowing if this has been discussed yet or not.

I think Nokia is correct in saying MMS is a dead end.

I think in the future MMS will be easier, so that you create an account to who knows maybe Nokias file sharing site, through which you can send stuff. Much easier and able to send more types of attachments through it.

sygys
2010-03-12, 11:50
it must be atleast possible to let the fmms app start when a mms is received! The provider will send some kind of notification after wich the phone connects to the internet to get the picture. it must be possible to let the fmms app start on this notification.

twigleaf1976
2010-03-12, 13:37

Just wondering....

Google and it's creepware are a privacy nightmare. It's not just main businesses, the German, French and other governments that are getting annoyed at it. They openly want your data and the EU is gearing up to go against them on data retention grounds.

Just look at their facebook alternative, 176 million users by default were given public accounts, no opt out first and then opt in. If it wasn't for the massive amount of people complaining they wouldn't have backed down again and again to make it obvious what you were signing up for.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/17/epic_on_google_buzz/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/15/google_buzz_revisions_again/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/29/privacy_laws_europe/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/01/facebook_privacy_review_numbers/

You want everything you do in google to be their property, good luck. But a great deal of people don't. I work in IT security and for every web site that lets you share stuff, there is another ten that are stealing your identity. That annoys and worries people who value privacy. If you don't care about that, then fine, don't complain when you see something you regret later in life. Bear in mind most employers now do two things before looking at your CV, type your name into google and then into facebook. You really want that picture of you in a dress, stoned, naked etc to be the first thing your new boss sees? I have seen people threatened and fired based on what some mate shares on a networking site.

For me an MMS is a one off picture someone might send you of something funny, cute that they see then. I am one of the majority that doesn't want to share personal moments with facebook who have also openly and legally said they will take ownership of everything you do on their website.

I don't take anywhere near enough photos to have or the desire to share with flickr and other really rubbish sites that are designed for it. So a one off ability to send messages with photos between friends and relatives is a must have.

And no amount of press hype I read for the N900 has told me MMS isn't supported. This website told me it wasn't. I now have tons of messages from my carrier telling me to visit their server with a password to see a photo becaue this piece of junk can't do anything with it.

MMS isn't a dead end. As long as you have picture phones you will have MMS, afterall the data tariff to upload is far more expensive than one MMS. As is hosting costs (Who pays that in the end?) and of course the whole issue of ownership. And if you read the IT sector reports, the bandwidth of internet on your phone is very quickly approaching the voice bandwidth crossover. One internet using laptop owner with mobile broadband is worth upto 10 - 40 people talking. Can't have both, so who wins? Someone has to be dropped from communicating and phone users are worth more, pay more and therefore your uploading and downloading will be limited, in speed and duration.