PDA

View Full Version : Gizmo5 and Google Voice

Gizmokid2005
2010-03-11, 22:59
Ok. I've done a fair bit of research, but I need some help in finalizing what I want to do.

First, the backstory:

I have a Google Voice account, which phone number I give out to people so I have more control of who can bother me, when, voicemail transcription, etc. We'll call this GV.

I also have a Gizmo5 account that I setup because I was going to it with GV on my desktop instead of Skype that way I can call people and use my GV # for my caller ID instead of nothing with Skype or my cell number via Skype. We'll call this G5.

I also have my Cell phone, which well is an N900 and...self explanatory. We'll call this CELL.

How things are setup now:

I have my CELL number setup with GV to forward calls to it so that I can answer calls, obviously. Now, when I get a call from GV, if I answer it, it winds up using up minutes on my cell plan, which with working from home and getting work calls can add up VERY fast (for instance, I just got off a call that was 86 minutes for work...OUCH). It's still a doable setup though, and if I REALLY am concerned, I can tell the person I'll call them right back, and then use Skype on my N900 or my desktop, but then the person sees my CELL number instead of my GV number. (Yes, I've tried to set my GV number as the caller ID in Skype, but the text to verify NEVER works). So this isn't the best solution. I currently don't use G5 for anything, it was there setup originally when I got my GV number, but that was when G5 decided to start charging again...

What I want to do:

I'd like for things to happen in this way; John calls my GV number and it routes to my CELL either directly over my data connection or through G5 via a sip connection on my phone over my data connection. This way I don't use cell minutes :)

What I've done:

I've got a SIP connection setup on my cell phone with my G5 account, and calls do come IN to my CELL over wifi via that connection, but, because I have GV setup to ask me if I want to accept or not, and I presume this would be the same for actual conversations, my Key press (1) to accept the phone call never gets recognized by GV and the call goes to voicemail.

Now, I know there's the Dial Central app out there, and I have it, but it's not the best yet and I hate having to have ANOTHER app running in the background to receive calls, etc...plus if I make a call with the DialCentral app, it just routes it through GV and my CELL rings, using up cell minutes again, which is what I want to prevent.

So, my question is - has anyone else tried this, got it working, or have a way to get it working? I can't believe there isn't a way to get it working as it should be...not with this community and this phone.

Thanks in advance!!

lemmyslender
2010-03-12, 00:45
Here's what I do.

1) sip (G5) setup on N900
2) GV forwards to G5

I am using TOR (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41817), but DialCentral should work as well. Either should be able to use GV's callback feature, with G5 as the callback number.

So, TOR monitors GV for SMS and voicemail. SIP monitors G5 for calls.

Scenario 1: Someone calls GV number. GV forwards to G5, N900 rings SIP call. I don't use 1 to accept, I think there is a bug for using the dialpad with SIP, so you may have to sacrifice this feature.

Scenario 2: I want to call someone. Using TOR, I can select a GV contact or dial via dialpad and select GV as call type. A call is initiated, hangs up, then GV callback to specified number (G5) occurs. Since G5 is the callback number, call comes in via SIP. Anwer, then GV dials the other number and completes my call. Dial Central can do this as well.

DialCental and TOR are similar in features, but TOR is more integrated into the N900. SMS come through Conversations, and GV contacts can be called like other contacts.

The trick is to set your callback number to your G5 number and you should be all set.

Gizmokid2005
2010-03-12, 00:48
Here's what I do.

1) sip (G5) setup on N900
2) GV forwards to G5

I am using TOR (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41817), but DialCentral should work as well. Either should be able to use GV's callback feature, with G5 as the callback number.

So, TOR monitors GV for SMS and voicemail. SIP monitors G5 for calls.

Scenario 1: Someone calls GV number. GV forwards to G5, N900 rings SIP call. I don't use 1 to accept, I think there is a bug for using the dialpad with SIP, so you may have to sacrifice this feature.

Scenario 2: I want to call someone. Using TOR, I can select a GV contact or dial via dialpad and select GV as call type. A call is initiated, hangs up, then GV callback to specified number (G5) occurs. Since G5 is the callback number, call comes in via SIP. Anwer, then GV dials the other number and completes my call. Dial Central can do this as well.

DialCental and TOR are similar in features, but TOR is more integrated into the N900. SMS come through Conversations, and GV contacts can be called like other contacts.

The trick is to set your callback number to your G5 number and you should be all set.

I'm not worried about SMS, since those are forwarded to my CELL anyways, and I have unlimited texting. I do have all calls forwarded to my G5 number, but I run into the issue of being able to accept the call...I mean, right now everything works like it should, except for the fact that I can't push 1 to accept the call, so I can't see if my microphone works either, I've seen people with this issue around so...

mack07018
2010-03-12, 02:34
cant get G5 to connect under sip, what settings did you use?

Gizmokid2005
2010-03-12, 02:37
cant get G5 to connect under sip, what settings did you use?

Add a SIP account and use the following format for your address:

1717xxxxxxx@proxy01.sipphone.com (where x is the rest of your G5 number), then use your password. Voila, logged in.

epage
2010-03-12, 02:55
Some things TOR gets you besides texting (which can be disabled).

It loads up your contacts and let's you call from the contact list through GV. You can also dial numbers through the built-in telephony software and call through GV.

It also monitors for missed SIP calls and will then check for voicemails and report those to you.

The One Ring is only available through extras-devel which is dangerous. For Maemo 4.1 I might be promoting it soon to Extras but Maemo 5 verson needs a bit more work.

Dialcentral thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29347
TOR thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=488632

Gizmokid2005
2010-03-12, 02:57
Some things TOR gets you besides texting (which can be disabled).

It loads up your contacts and let's you call from the contact list through GV. You can also dial numbers through the built-in telephony software and call through GV.

It also monitors for missed SIP calls and will then check for voicemails and report those to you.

The One Ring is only available through extras-devel which is dangerous. For Maemo 4.1 I might be promoting it soon to Extras but Maemo 5 verson needs a bit more work.

Dialcentral thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29347
TOR thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=488632

My issue is, does TOR actually route the calls via wifi using some type of SIP connection or does it just use GV and then call the forwarding number you've specified in your GV settings?

epage
2010-03-12, 03:30
My issue is, does TOR actually route the calls via wifi using some type of SIP connection or does it just use GV and then call the forwarding number you've specified in your GV settings?

TOR just uses the GV website, initiating the callback.

losvedir
2010-03-12, 03:50
Gyah, I too have Google Voice and Gizmo5 and never found a great solution. Tried Skype, too.

I didn't have GV present the call to me (I just answered it), so I did manage to make a connection. Are you sure you can't press 1? I thought at first it didn't accept key presses but determined later that it did, in theory, just there was too much latency.

The main problem with using Gizmo5 and SIP is that even on WiFi the quality just wasn't good enough. At the best of times there was enough latency to make conversations somewhat awkward. At the worst of times, only half of the calls actually ended up ringing on my phone, the other half went straight to voicemail. On 3G or below -- forget it.

I tried having GV ring both my cell and SIP, so that if I had strong WiFi I could answer with SIP, and I could answer with my cell otherwise. Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug ( http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38102 ) which does not allow the N900 to have a SIP and phone connection simultaneously. So, my cell would ring, a second later the SIP would ring, and then they would disconnect each other and send the call to voicemail.

I tried throwing Skype into the mix -- A $5/month SkypeIn account will give you a phone number, which you can have Google Voice ring. It works better than SIP. The problem is that Skype has had a missing feature for a few years now that won't let you disable its voicemail. So all the calls end up on Skype's voicemail, rather than GV's, and you don't get the nifty transcription. You can have Skype forward the call to GV's voicemail instead of its voicemail, but then you need SkypeOut credits and have to pay more. Hmm....

In the end, I gave up and just use my cell minutes. Maybe now that Google has bought Gizmo, eventually they'll work it out so it's better. In the Caller -> GV -> Gizmo5 -> N900 chain, I'm not sure where the latency is greatest, but hopefully at least the GV -> G5 latency will go away.

I'm watching this thread with anticipation. Hopefully, someone's found a solution I didn't....

epage
2010-03-12, 04:10
On my n900 I've heavily used Google Voice with both Skype and sipgate. I've done this almost exclusively. I have a data plan for my n900 and a prepaid phone from before I got the data plan. I think I've used 40 minutes on my prepaid phone in the last 6 months.

Gizmokid2005
2010-03-12, 04:19
TOR just uses the GV website, initiating the callback.

That's what I figured, and that's the problem. That's the ONE feature I need in my setup.

Gyah, I too have Google Voice and Gizmo5 and never found a great solution. Tried Skype, too.

I didn't have GV present the call to me (I just answered it), so I did manage to make a connection. Are you sure you can't press 1? I thought at first it didn't accept key presses but determined later that it did, in theory, just there was too much latency.

The main problem with using Gizmo5 and SIP is that even on WiFi the quality just wasn't good enough. At the best of times there was enough latency to make conversations somewhat awkward. At the worst of times, only half of the calls actually ended up ringing on my phone, the other half went straight to voicemail. On 3G or below -- forget it.

I tried having GV ring both my cell and SIP, so that if I had strong WiFi I could answer with SIP, and I could answer with my cell otherwise. Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug ( http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38102 ) which does not allow the N900 to have a SIP and phone connection simultaneously. So, my cell would ring, a second later the SIP would ring, and then they would disconnect each other and send the call to voicemail.

I tried throwing Skype into the mix -- A $5/month SkypeIn account will give you a phone number, which you can have Google Voice ring. It works better than SIP. The problem is that Skype has had a missing feature for a few years now that won't let you disable its voicemail. So all the calls end up on Skype's voicemail, rather than GV's, and you don't get the nifty transcription. You can have Skype forward the call to GV's voicemail instead of its voicemail, but then you need SkypeOut credits and have to pay more. Hmm....

In the end, I gave up and just use my cell minutes. Maybe now that Google has bought Gizmo, eventually they'll work it out so it's better. In the Caller -> GV -> Gizmo5 -> N900 chain, I'm not sure where the latency is greatest, but hopefully at least the GV -> G5 latency will go away.

I'm watching this thread with anticipation. Hopefully, someone's found a solution I didn't....

See, when using Skype, I didn't get that much latency, and the calls were pretty good considering. I do have SkypeOut for as much as I use it for work, I just pay the $2.95/mo for unlimited calling and make it easy. I don't want to have to setup ANOTHER phone number for something that should be very easy.

As for latency, if there is so much latency that 5 seconds isn't long enough for a key press to register, then it's not even worth trying to get it working. I only plan on using this setup at home on Wifi anyways, since that's where most of my calling happens, I'm not too worried about cell signal (since I'm on AT&T it's not like i get 3G anyways...).

I do hope (and I've seen threads/speculation on this), that GV is just eventually supported natively, but that would mean GV supporting SIP natively as well, without need an intermediary to handle the call connection as it does now. I just can't believe there isn't a solution out there yet for this issue, it seems that with the geek atmosphere surrounding the N900, this would've been one of the first things to happen, take major advantage of SIP and wifi capabilities with such a powerful phone...

I guess I keep waiting and see if anyone has any other ideas.

Callensunny
2010-03-12, 06:45
And you've never had the problem here?? http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38102

On my n900 I've heavily used Google Voice with both Skype and sipgate. I've done this almost exclusively. I have a data plan for my n900 and a prepaid phone from before I got the data plan. I think I've used 40 minutes on my prepaid phone in the last 6 months.