PDA

View Full Version : Scummvm

Weavus
2005-11-22, 17:56
Anyone managed to get scummvm working? I installed the lastest version from the site on my 770 and it launches fine. I installed 3 games on my memory card and can browse to them and the game recognises the game directories and shows information about the game. However as soon as I try and launch any of the games the app just quits straight away.

I installed the games in /media/mmc/scumm/mi2/ etc.

Any suggestions?

konttori
2005-11-22, 18:20
i haven't had any problems . what games have you tried? i've only tried flight of amazon queen.

Weavus
2005-11-24, 09:01
Sam & Max
Monkey Island 2
Fate of Atlantis

mtoivo
2005-11-24, 11:10
MI2 worked fine on me, except the midi-music. I guess the 770 was some sort of dev-version. Update OS?

daf
2005-12-05, 23:45
mi1 with mp3 cd tracks don't work :( (it work on my pc fine with the same copy)
it say :
WARNING: Couldn't open drive: Invalid CD-ROM drive index
with music, it's better :D

zuti
2006-01-13, 02:59
Let's wake this thread up for a while...

There hasn't been that much talk about scummvm, but I just have to ask this. Is there any way to get the music to play without problems?

I tried running scummvm from xterm, and setting sound quality to 11kHz, 22kHz and 44kHz, only at 11kHz things run smoothly (but sounds are lagging behind a few seconds).

edit: ok, I just noticed, that setting the sound quality has nothing to do with scummvm running smoothly. If you just run the program from xterm without any special settings, everything runs smoothly, no skipping sound, no problems. But if you start it from the menu, then it keeps stuttering. Odd.

sev
2006-01-13, 12:13
So guys, I am one of ScummVM developers, and I got this small nice gadget by the dev program. My goal is to make a proper port of ScummVM, as that one which you find on Tomas site is just a quick hack with keys mapping. It doesn't use any special features we have which are designed for low-CPU devices.

So please, express your wishes on what you think would be nice to have in official ScummVM port in this thread and I will look into implementing them.

Eugene

Jeffgrado
2006-01-13, 13:30
sev, that's great news! The only problem I suppose is that there is no mouse to hover over objects to see if you can use them or not. I'm not sure if there is anyway around this, but that is something to consider. Also, of course, having the ability to encode all the sound files into mp3 to save space would be great.

zuti
2006-01-14, 04:02
So please, express your wishes on what you think would be nice to have in official ScummVM port in this thread and I will look into implementing them.

Sounds great. The current scummvm is quite usable. The only thing I can come up with is the lack of a virtual keyboard to type in the names for your savegames. And the audio problems mentioned earlier. Other than that, scummvm works as well as on a normal computer. If it isn't broke... :)

Jeffgrado: Just drag the cursor? Works for me.

thoughtfix
2006-01-14, 08:45
I installed the games in /media/mmc/scumm/mi2/ etc.

Any suggestions?

/media/mmc is mounted noexec ;)

sev
2006-01-16, 12:17
/media/mmc is mounted noexec ;)
Well, that should be a game data he put there, so that's irrelevant ;)

Eugene

zaphel
2006-01-17, 22:26
hi,
is nice to see a developer here and asking for wishes :)
ok
i have two wishes
1. Speed, the scummvm port is slow and so the ingame midi music is not accurate so the games lose a lot of atmosphere. On my nokia 7610 mobile phone (arm at 110 mhz) it runs faster ( i have installed a version from the scummvm symbian forum)
2. compatibility for compressed game sound files (mp3,ogg ...) to get speech in many lucas arts games without wasting space on mmc. It could be solved to get right librarys compiled (mad for mp3 ...) or built in.
forgive my bad english and thx for the great work on scummvm

Majix
2006-01-22, 13:47
A new version of ScummVM is available from http://770.fs-security.com/scummvm/
Most notably the stuttering sound and music has now been fixed. The 770 is powerful enough to run the games without having to lower the sound quality, the problem was due to a bug in the software.

Simon
2006-01-22, 19:47
A new version of ScummVM is available from http://770.fs-security.com/scummvm/
Most notably the stuttering sound and music has now been fixed. The 770 is powerful enough to run the games without having to lower the sound quality, the problem was due to a bug in the software.
Excellent! Now, silly question. What is the correct way to install the newer version? Do you uninstall the old one then install the new one (does this lose any saved games) or can you just install over the top? Thanks!

Simon

log2ins
2006-01-31, 15:45
Hi all,

can you tell me where looking for games for scummVM? I've tried to install "Beneath the steel sky", but it doesn't work. So I'd like to try different games.

Thanks,
Antonio

rachid
2006-02-03, 09:20
i tried
"beneath a steel sky"
-> Nokia 770 working, but i cannot use the action button. I pressed every button on my nokia
-> Windows XP working

"indiana jones and fate of Atlantis"
-> Nokia 770 not working, Error: "SFX file is not open"
-> Windows XP working

fanoush
2006-02-07, 09:06
i tried
"beneath a steel sky"
-> Nokia 770 working, but i cannot use the action button. I pressed every button on my nokia

yes, this is broken in latest version from Tomas. Right mouse button is mapped to same key as fullscreen so it doesn't work.
you can try my version here http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/ . Right mouse button is mapped to Select key. Also it has all engines enabled so Simon or FOTAQ works (including mp3 sound). FOTAQ can be found here http://scummvm.org/downloads.php#extras

leo_dk
2006-02-08, 09:31
fanoush
thx for the build - fired it up and my monkey island 1 with mp3 soundtrack plays like a charm.

mikelococo
2006-02-10, 06:16
How do you bring up the inventory in Beneath a Steel Sky? You can't leave the first screen without using an object you acquire to do something, but I have no idea how to access the object after I pick it up.

Is the inventory button not mapped or am I missing something obvious?

rachid
2006-02-10, 08:08
Is the inventory button not mapped or am I missing something obvious?

there is no inventory button.
The inventory show up, when you touch with the pen the upper border of the screen...

complicated to explain :)

rachid

fanoush
2006-02-10, 09:52
Yes it is a bit cumbersome with the pen. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to trigger it by some button too, I'll check the source. At least some button can imitate mouse move to topleft corner if there is no other way. Also some switcher whether pen tap is left click or right click would be good for BAAS. I'll try to fix it when doing something with the source again (don't know when).

mikelococo
2006-02-11, 15:35
Yes it is a bit cumbersome with the pen. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to trigger it by some button too, I'll check the source.

I don't think it really is a problem. Now that I know what to do, it's fine. It's been a while since I played BASS on the computer and I forgot that little bit of game mechanics. In my mind, the simplest and most useful thing would be a note in the documentation of the controls.

Thanks for the help, all.

Mike

fanoush
2006-02-13, 20:16
I have updated stable version to 0.8.2 and recompiled also with tremor so now you can use oggs too for compressed audio. I also tried to reduce size a bit via some compiler switches. Otherwise there are no changes.

I did the same for the unstable cvs version with Kyrandia suport.

http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/ and scroll down to the end of the page

thedarksavant
2006-02-13, 21:24
I've installed the 0.8.2 version from http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/ and reloaded BASS, but now when I select BOSS from the menu, I'm loaded into the basic SCUMM VM screen. It has no games loaded.

Does the .deb from Tomas Junonen's site not work with the 0.8.2 version??

Tweak
2006-02-14, 03:08
Help! :confused:
I some how damaged my scummvm install. I got 0.80 working with BASS and was messing around with the sound settings. Now the program won't launch from the menu, nothing happens. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it and BASS several times, and just tried the 0.82 upgrade to no avail.

At the command line, I've tried to find any config files that maybe left behind after uninstall that might be interfering with the program but no luck so far. Anyone know how to launch the program such that either resets all settings to default or where the config files are store so I can delete them?

fanoush
2006-02-14, 07:26
Does the .deb from Tomas Junonen's site not work with the 0.8.2 version??
Yes, my mistake. My shell wrappers swallows commandline arguments needed for this to work. I'll fix it. In fact I never tried any scummvm game debs since I find it easier to put them directly to mmc card and add them from main scummvm menu (Add game, navigate to /media/mmc1/...game directory)

You may find the installed BASS somewhere in /var/lib/install and add it to the menu or uninstall it and if you have enough space download full version with speech from http://scummvm.org/downloads.php#extras and put it to card.

EDIT: maybe it is fixed, redownload 0.8.2, BASS menu item may work

fanoush
2006-02-14, 07:28
where the config files are store so I can delete them?
config file /home/user/.scummvmrc (use ls -la to see it)
save games /home/user/.scummvm directory

Tweak
2006-02-15, 04:16
Thanks! Deleting those two files got scummvm back and running.

Bill
2006-03-06, 13:59
Happy to report that even Monkey Island 3:The curse of monkey island runs great :) in all it's 640x480 glory. 1Gb RS-MMC is required though.

Jeffgrado
2006-03-06, 16:52
That's awesome, Bill. Are you playing one CD at a time, or did they both fit into 1gb?

nando242
2006-03-10, 07:08
I was reading this exchange:

Help! :confused:
I some how damaged my scummvm install. I got 0.80 working with BASS and was messing around with the sound settings. Now the program won't launch from the menu, nothing happens. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it and BASS several times, and just tried the 0.82 upgrade to no avail.

At the command line, I've tried to find any config files that maybe left behind after uninstall that might be interfering with the program but no luck so far. Anyone know how to launch the program such that either resets all settings to default or where the config files are store so I can delete them?

Thanks! Deleting those two files got scummvm back and running.

... And:

I have the EXACT same problem. I upgraded from a previous version to 0.8.0 and I guessed I messed around with the wrong settings and now I can't get either version of the ScummVM port to open from the extras menu. I KNEW it had something to do with leftover config files!

I'm not a linux expert, and I think I installed Xterminal once but was entirely confused by it. Do I need root acess to do this or something? a step by step would be MUCH appreciated. (not the gaining root part, guess there's a step by step for that already :-D )

fanoush
2006-03-10, 08:21
Happy to report that even Monkey Island 3:The curse of monkey island runs great :) in all it's 640x480 glory. 1Gb RS-MMC is required though.

Well in fact only 512 would be enough if you compress the sound. It takes ~480MB in oggs at quality 4. It may take a bit of CPU to decode it so it may be a bit slower, but not much. Reading big files from MMC may be slow too so the compressed version may even have similar performance.

fanoush
2006-03-10, 08:26
Do I need root acess to do this or something?

You don't need root but yes you need something :) Run the terminal, enter 'cd' without qoutes and hit enter and then 'rm .scummvmrc'. You may also remove saved games by 'rm -rf .scummvm' but it shouldn't be needed.

nando242
2006-03-10, 09:41
You don't need root but yes you need something :) Run the terminal, enter 'cd' without qoutes and hit enter and then 'rm .scummvmrc'. You may also remove saved games by 'rm -rf .scummvm' but it shouldn't be needed.

ANNNND problem solved.

:o I'm ashemd of meself. I asked for help but I should have done something first: To thank and congratulate you for the port.

Thanks for everything then,
Nando!

fanoush
2006-03-10, 10:18
I asked for help but I should have done something first: To thank and congratulate you for the port.
Thanks for everything then,
Nando!
Well the initial port of 0.8.0 was done by Tomas Junnonen so part of those thanks should go to him too. I just improved what he started. And my reasons were purely selfish, I wanted to run my copy of Monkey Island and other games with compressed sound and speech :-)

bbbrown
2006-03-14, 09:52
Hi i am new to the forums and have searched around. I just got my 770 and imediately installed scummvm and monkey island 1 and 2. Both games are working fine but there is no sound at all. Do i need to setup the sound ingame or is it something else? Please help!

-BB

bbbrown
2006-03-14, 09:55
Also if anyone is interested i saw 1gb SanDisk RS-MMC cards on Amazon under for $53 with free Super Saver Shipping(5-7 business days) or you can pay more for quicker. Anyways it was a much better price than i was seeing elsewhere including eBay.

-BB

fanoush
2006-03-14, 16:42
Both games are working fine but there is no sound at all. Which version you installed? Maybe you installed the 0.8.0 version and have compressed sound? If yes then try the 0.8.2 version mentioned in this thread. If you already have 0.8.2 version you may try to reboot and run it again or close anything else that might use sound. The sound is expected to work without any setup.

jfheintz
2006-03-16, 09:07
Hello I thave install 0.8.2 version and run Flight of the amazon queen and Beneath of the Sky. I have finish Beneath with no real problem (sometimes scummvm disappear but it is not reproductible). Flight of the amazon queen works good too, but I am not able to save the game. To save a game we need to enter at least one character in the save menu, which is not possible. In Beneath we have the same issue but it is allowed to save a game with no "name".

Is someone resolved this one? Thanks.

fanoush
2006-03-16, 09:22
Did you try the zoom +/- keys? I'm not sure but I think they produce some letters in most scummvm engines, not sure about FOTAQ.

jfheintz
2006-03-16, 10:09
Thanks you fanoush for your tip, it s working better now ;)

Jeffgrado
2006-04-20, 13:05
Anyone happen to have any tips for completing the first cannon "action" scene in CMI? It's hard with just the stylus :)

fanoush
2006-04-20, 14:37
It is hard but possible, you need to press, hold and move the stylus while firing. Finished the sequence at least 3 times with the stylus :)

Jeffgrado
2006-04-20, 22:09
Got it! I wasn't moving the stylus far enough to the left/right to move the cannon. Now for Full Throttle...
Anyone have experience with the bike action scenes? I can't figure out how to change weapons to defeat various bikers. Maybe it's time to save games on the PC, and try to move them to the 770?

tabletfan
2006-04-23, 00:59
I am installing Scummvm for the first time, and was wondering if the games will fill up the screen instead of having a black border. Also, when you save a game, how do you bring up the keyboard?

gheghe_diego
2006-04-23, 18:13
hi guys! a question: where i install the game? and, for example, where can i find the game "monkey island"??
thank you!!

tabletfan
2006-04-26, 18:59
I am a linux newbie, so can someone tell me what the ScummVM ".diff" patch is and how to apply it. Do I need it if ScummVM version 0.8.0 is working correctly?

fanoush
2006-04-27, 13:26
I am a linux newbie, so can someone tell me what the ScummVM ".diff" patch is and how to apply it. Do I need it if ScummVM version 0.8.0 is working correctly?
Who knows? If 'working correctly' is not enough for you, you may need it :)

Diff file is file with source code differences that can be applied to original scummvm source to get maemo version. Useful if you want to make some changes to scummvm for N770.

fanoush
2006-05-23, 07:03
I have updated unstable scummvm version to current state (22.5.2006). Kyrandia should work much better now. Also I recompiled stable 0.8.2 version with -Os which makes it slightly smaller (below 3MB) and faster.
http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#scummvm

Jeffgrado
2006-05-26, 17:27
Works great! Would it be possible to scale the older games to 800x480, or some similar res?

elwood
2006-06-11, 14:20
If somebody is doing a 2006 OS version could you please add simon 1 and 2 support?

fanoush
2006-06-11, 16:52
Simon is supported in my alternate port of scummvm for a long time http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#scummvm Thing is that cracked versions of Simon floating on the net intentionally do not work in most newer versions of scummvm.

As for the 2006 OS I'm working on it. Flashed device yesterday, downloaded all new SDKs but haven't installed them yet. But recompiling and repackaging should be straightforward, maybe even easier than for the 2005 OS. I hope I'll do it in next few days.

fanoush
2006-06-11, 19:52
OK 0.8.2 version for 2006 OS is ready, get it from page mentioned above, link named '0.8.2 OS2006'.

elwood
2006-06-11, 20:19
Thanks. It works but it needed a reboot to show up under extras. Simon 1 runs, but its missing keymapping.

Coolty
2006-06-11, 20:27
fanoush, please put your application on the 2006 catalog.
You can find it here: http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog2006

fanoush
2006-06-11, 20:55
Thanks. It works but it needed a reboot to show up under extras.
Yes, noticed that too. Don't know if it is my fault or the beta OS thing.

Simon 1 runs, but its missing keymapping.
Except the 'y' for confirming quit I'm not aware of any other key needed. But I did not play the game too much. Which key is missing? To exit you can just turn off fullscreen mode and close the scummvm window.

elwood
2006-06-11, 21:04
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I forgot that simon doesn't use a save menu like scumm games but a save card in the inventory. Another thing though. There is no scumm icon showing that the app is currently running, so if you minimize it, you can't get back or quit it.

fanoush
2006-06-12, 10:16
There is no scumm icon showing that the app is currently running, so if you minimize it, you can't get back or quit it.
Seems to be new bug in OS https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=539

As for the menu item and reboot, workaround to show the item without reboot is Control panel->Task navigator->Organize->Done

fanoush
2006-06-16, 08:04
As for the menu item and reboot, workaround to show the item without reboot is Control panel->Task navigator->Organize->Done
This was packaging mistake. Even if it worked, correct directory for shortcuts is /usr/share/applications/hildon not usr/share/applications like in 2005 version. Package was updated. There is no need to reinstall if you already have shortcut in menu working. Also now there is unstable version from SVN trunk for IT2006 too (with Kyrandia enabled). Still no icon in task manager so after minimizing you cannot access it without trying to start and minimize other applications.

fanoush
2006-06-21, 08:45
Another thing though. There is no scumm icon showing that the app is currently running, so if you minimize it, you can't get back or quit it.

New version 0.8.2-2 have a workaround for task navigator bug/feature https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=539 so the icon now works in 2006 beta.

bsterix
2006-06-21, 09:06
Hi,
is there a OS2006-Version of the "Beneath a steel sky" *.DEB-package. The 2005-Version will not install on my 2006.

fanoush
2006-06-21, 09:14
Well, no unless someone else does it. IMO it is easier to download it directly from http://scummvm.org/downloads.php#extras (CD version has speech) extract it to MMC card and add it from scummvm menu (click add game, navigate to /media/mmc1/<BASS dir>). There is no need to fill internal flash with huge game installation packages.

bsterix
2006-06-21, 09:50
thanks for this tip

bsterix
2006-06-21, 18:33
Installation of "Beneath a steel Sky" worked. The game is running well, but how can i "use" objects? In the Beginning of the game i discovered the "metal bar" which i used with the "middle key". But i still cant open the dore with it?

fanoush
2006-06-22, 06:23
sometimes it is useful to read the thread from the start ;-)