PDA

View Full Version : EM ONE from Sharp

reiperts
2007-02-19, 14:44
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/wey-20070219-emone3.jpg

Could this be the N800 killer? It looks great! Specifications: Windows Mobile 5.0., Marvell PXA270 520MHz CPU, 128MB RAM, 512MB ROM, a 4.1" WVGA (800 x 480) touch screen, an NVIDIA GoForce 5500, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2, a video-out port, a miniSD slot, a mini-USB port, a 1.3-megapixel camera, a dual-slide QWERTY keyboard and control pad, and HSDPA connectivity.

More details here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,53986&/the_em_one_and_only_from_sharp.htm)

mbrinkhues
2007-02-19, 14:55
About twice the price of an 880 unless it comes with a contract, looks a bit bigger, has a no longer actual but still solid WinCE version.

If this thing is availabel with a T-Mobile contract in June, it will likely be the unit I'll get instead of an 880.

fpp
2007-02-19, 16:25
The negative appraisal of AkihabaraNews, usually an enthusiast's site, is worth its salt :
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-13316-EM+ONE%2C+the+EM+Mobile+HSDPA+PDA.html

SD69
2007-02-19, 16:27
Fancy flash, but not very informative to non-Japanese readers. Is the button above the scroll pad a shutter release or something else? touch screen+qwerty is interesting. I guess you can't zoom, and the browser takes up the full screen with no task bar?. No other buttons either. If the UI is nothing but standard Windows, it won't be very good IMO. A touch screen should have a different UI.

TA-t3
2007-02-19, 17:17
I don't want mini-SD, I want full SD, I want to be able to stick in any kind of SD from other devices. If the phone uses a mini/micro SD, fine. But the central unit (for me, the N800) must take full-size SD to be compatible with everything. And the two SD slots is another reason I jumped for the N800..
Video out though, that would be nice, my cheap digital camera has an S-video connector and it's actually useful. Plug it in the front of the TV and show your holiday pictures..

SD69
2007-02-19, 18:00
It has a scroll wheel, ugh. Scroll wheels are OK for navigating through drop down lists of text, that's about it.

Milhouse
2007-02-19, 18:12
It has a scroll wheel, ugh. Scroll wheels are OK for navigating through drop down lists of text, that's about it.

You don't think a scroll wheel would be useful for scrolling through a long web page?

I'm not sure I'd find a scroll wheel useful for a drop down list of text unless the list was _really_ long - for a relatively short list I'd instictively use the touchscreen.

SD69
2007-02-19, 18:20
You don't think a scroll wheel would be useful for scrolling through a long web page?

I'm not sure I'd find a scroll wheel useful for a drop down list of text unless the list was _really_ long - for a relatively short list I'd instictively use the touchscreen.Nope, don't like it. Had a scroll wheel on my first digital phone - OK for that. But i hate trying to use it on my Blackberry or anywhere else for web browsing.

Karel Jansens
2007-02-19, 18:26

I'm not sure I'd find a scroll wheel useful for a drop down list of text unless the list was _really_ long - for a relatively short list I'd instictively use the touchscreen.

The only good scroll wheel I've ever used, is the 5-way jog on the Sony Ericsson P(800/900/)910; and only because the UI was taylored towards it (it also speaks volumes that SE decided to drop it in the P990, because -- allegedly -- most users found it too complicated).

I don't even particularly like the scrollwheel on my mouse, mainly because there seems to be no consensus on how it should be used.

tabletfan
2007-02-21, 17:04
A lot of detailed pictures:

http://bb.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/news/17197.html

I use the scroll wheel on my mouse all the time for scrolling in a browser window, so having this option on a mobile device would be nice.

Modulok
2007-02-21, 18:56
The only bad thing about this device is Windows on it but this can be fixed from the Zaurus community.

jnack95
2007-02-21, 19:18
This is real competition for Nokia. Impressive unit.

tabletfan
2007-02-21, 20:41
Dual High-speed Data Communications: HSDPA and Wireless LAN
EM・ ONE supports EMOBILE's HSDPA communications service with a maximum downlink speed of 3.6Mbps*1. In addition, EM・ONE has the built-in IEEE802.11b/g compliant wireless LAN feature.
EM・ONE has built-in Bluetooth, which allows wireless connection with other EM・ONE or Bluetooth compliant peripheral devices (such as keyboards) *7 within its 10m range.

Synchronization
EM・ONE allows users to synchronize their data with PCs by using the ActiveSync feature. Moreover, EM・ONE can simultaneously synchronize with PC and charge its battery pack, by using an optional cradle.*8

Presentation
EM・ONE displays presentations on a big screen, by connecting to an LCD projector using an (optional) RGB adapter.

Model Name
EM・ONE

OS
MicrosoftWindows Mobile5.0 Software for Pocket PC Japanese version.

CPU
MarvellPXA270 520 MHz

Graphic Chip
NVIDIAGoForceTM5500

Memory
Flash Memory 512MB/SDRAM 128MB

Screen
800 X 480 dot 4.1 inch 65,536 colors ASV LCD (with backlight)

Communications
HSDPA, IEEE802.11b/g, Bluetooth 1.2

Camera
Approx. 1.31 mega pixel (effective pixels)

Audio
Internal Speaker (Stereo), Mic

Connections
miniUSB port (host function compliant), cradle port, RGB adapter port, headphone jack (flat), AC Adapter port

Memory Card Slot
miniSDTM

Dimensions
Approx. 140(W) X 70(H) X 18.9(D)

Weight
Approx. 250g (with battery pack and stylus pen)

Usage Time
Approx. 4 hours

Milhouse
2007-02-21, 22:14
Both the Sharp and N800 have 3D acceleration hardware. Unlike Nokia, Sharp wiill probably use it.

From a hardware perspective there isn't much in it - I prefer the more up to date N800 CPU to that of the Sharp, and built-in HSDPA is nice but of no real value if it means I need a second mobile contract in addition to my regular phone.

Used correctly the nVidia 3D hardware could put the N800 to shame - Nokia realy need to get their act together and support the unused N800 hardware. And add PIM. :)

Karel Jansens
2007-02-21, 23:02
"Yeah! PIM!"

uczmeg
2007-02-23, 02:09
Looks very interesting indeed.

One oddity. I didn't think windows mobile 5 supported that resolution. I know wm6 can as demonstrated in th new toshiba pda phone.

It is about time we saw more 800 pixel wide devices.
es.
es.