PDA

View Full Version : Enable n900 to be visible in home network from windows pc

UKAndy
2010-04-01, 20:35
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I have connected my n900 to my home network, no problem. I can see my music & video files, from shared pc folders and NAS HDD, on n900.

I would like to be able to view files on my n900 from my windows vista pc through the network window. Is this possible?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Pfuh3z
2010-04-01, 21:27
As you might know, windows computers use smb (Samba) sharing to share their folders on your network. For as far as I know, there isn't any Samba server available for the N900 (yet). A lot of people use WinSCP to connect to their N900 (you have to have an ssh server running to be able to do this), or you could use ftpd, which sets up an FTP server on your N900. After that you could use any windows FTP client (e.g. FileZilla, which is free and very handy) to access your files on the N900...
Hope this helps ;)

Dries

scouser
2010-04-01, 23:05
Hi all,

I would like to be able to view files on my n900 from my windows vista pc through the network window. Is this possible?

Any help or advice appreciated.

You could install ssh server and ssh into the n900.

You will need an SSH client on your Windblows PC. There are several to be found on tinternet: putty or OpenSSH spring to mind.

You will need the IP address of your n900 on your network. There's a handy utility for the n900 for that (forgot whatit's called) or yu can sudo gainroot on an xterm then type ifconfig -a to get your IP address.

From a standard ssh client you then type ssh root@YOUR_IP_ADDRESS

Note that once yu are accessing your n900 via this method you are logged in as root. This means you have Godly powers on your n900. One wrong command and you could screw up your device.