View Full Version : N900 discontinued?

qwazix
2010-04-07, 08:49
I went last week to a carrier's shop, and I asked for the price of the N900. The lady there told me they don't have it in stock. We did have it for a while, but there is not much availability for this phone. It's not even on the pricelist anymore. I went to the other two major carriers and no-one had the phone. Not even a price for it...

emeni
2010-04-07, 08:52
Well it just got back in stock at my carrier. After 1.5 months. So i think they weren't expecting so many orders, also they weren't expecting so many recalls (see usb port, and display problems).

qwazix
2010-04-07, 08:56
That they don't even have a price bothers me. They also don't have it on the e-shop I bought it.

Neegs
2010-04-07, 11:17
thats all good. if a phone is discontinued and it breaks you get a choice of a newer one on the insurance

Andre Klapper
2010-04-07, 11:30
but there is not much availability for this phone.

Some basic information, like your country, would be welcome. :-)

emeni
2010-04-07, 11:31
yep. considering that I've just ordered mine just a few hours ago :D

but still I don't think they've discontinued, since in Denmark they were all sold out, except some crappy estores. and now everybody restock. I really think they have a stocking problem, especially since they are just launching it in Brazil (I read somewhere around here, that they are launching it there this month or in may, and they've promised meego with it)

ossipena
2010-04-07, 11:33
(I read somewhere around here, that they are launching it there this month or in may, and they've promised meego with it)

sources are strongly required....

tissot
2010-04-07, 11:44
I really doubt that. Here in Finland largest unlocked phone seller(verkkokauppa.com) have had since the launch 2-4 weeks waiting time to get one and even more in the first weeks.

I guess this is mostly because for a first time high end phone that Nokia seems to have some real demand aren't made in Finland and just as importantly they are only made in Nokia's South Korea factory.
Nokia's Finland factory is their second largets and only makes N and E series phones. N97 is at least made in Finland and China and they could keep up with the 2 million sold in 2-3 months. It sure seems like Nokia was surprised by the demand.

rash.m2k
2010-04-07, 11:47
Discontinued? Are you out of your mind?

Seriously people use your grey matter.

emeni
2010-04-07, 11:48
sources are strongly required....

You do know that you could use the search tool: meego, Brazil N900 right?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48124

here you go :)

ossipena
2010-04-07, 11:52
You do know that you could use the search tool: meego, Brazil N900 right?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48124

here you go :)

Unable to see any real sources, sorry.

nielsvg
2010-04-07, 11:54
the n900 is end of life for september so i don't see a relaunch in brazil with meego on it.

shadowjk
2010-04-07, 12:00
they can just rebrand/market PR1.2 as MeeGo compatible..

nielsvg
2010-04-07, 12:01
but it would be stupid of nokia to relaunch a device and rebrand to meego and then end the device in september. so i dont think this is a possibility

qwazix
2010-04-07, 12:13
Sorry for not replying sooner.
Country is Greece, stores are Cosmote, Wind, Vodafone. Also e-shop.gr.

emeni
2010-04-07, 13:03
the n900 is end of life for september so i don't see a relaunch in brazil with meego on it.

how did you figured out that in september they'll stop the support for n900?

overlord
2010-04-07, 13:40
Sorry for not replying sooner.
Country is Greece, stores are Cosmote, Wind, Vodafone. Also e-shop.gr.

Why don't you try purchasing it from a NOKIA store as most of us (in Greece) have...? And please don't jumb to hasty conclusions about discontinueing a device... There have been some issues with the official distributor here in Greece and thus NOKIA is bound to assume direct management! And NEVER trust whatever local carriers may say to you...

PS: For your information the retail price in Greece is 580€

nielsvg
2010-04-07, 13:43
how did you figured out that in september they'll stop the support for n900?

i work at a telecomshop and our dealers stop delivering the device in september because they know from nokia its end of life

cjp
2010-04-07, 14:11
Hi, I can be a second source reporting N900 availability in Finland. I work for a home electronics store here and we've had problems in availability since launch.

On initial launch we had less than a hundred phones throughout out organization, including sim-locked and sim-free devices. Well in reality none of them were truly sim-locked, but we had a different saldo for selling them with and without a contract.

The phones from the initial launch were sold right away and many went to pre-orderers. Ever since we've had around 20 phones trickle in every 2 months for our entire organisation, and every time we've sold them out within a week, locked or unlocked! People buying a locked phone in Finland is relatively uncommon seeing as the clear majority of phones are sold without a contract.

This kind of pattern for availability isn't strikingly different for any phone that isn't expected to sell huge amounts. We have a lot of devices that have worse availability, because they fall at a given time into an unattractive price category.

So to summarize: from personal experience as a person working in sales the N900 doesn't seem "discontinued" and not even particularly "unavailabe". :)

gabby131
2010-04-07, 14:15
the online store i bought mine still have it,

brand new and open boxes are still available.

qwazix
2010-04-07, 16:38
I just asked, because not finding it in any of the carriers shops, and also it disappearing from the site where I bought it, was a bit weird. I noticed the same thing before the N95 and N82 disappeared completely from the market. Some electronic shops had them intermittently, while the carriers didn't have them at all. Also having the experience of the N81 8GB which was discontinued less than 6 months after first seeing it in a store for the first time, I wanted to know if any of you knew anything more. I can still see the N900 on the nseries website but I can also see the N82.
It sounds that this gem is still on the shelves albeit with some availability problems. Maybe it will be available for long enough so I can buy another one :)

bjknight
2010-04-07, 16:49
Vodafone and CPW in Manchester still have some in stock.

Short waiting time (about a week or so) for online/tel Vodafone orders.

No issues in this neck of the woods that I can see.

Wichall
2010-04-14, 19:10
Vodafone discontinued the N900 this week apparently due to receiving so many back with problems...my guess is the usb port being the main one

bjknight
2010-04-14, 19:12
Still available five mins ago online.

bjknight
2010-04-14, 19:14
That's both direct and through CPW that it's still available.

bjknight
2010-04-14, 19:16
That said, I notice apost on moneysavingexpert that reports this too. It is supported by an anecdote about a t/c to retention dept. Hmmm.... Oops, Nokia!

plaban
2010-04-14, 19:44
It is releasing soon in India.So it is not discontinued.

Khertan
2010-04-14, 19:51
Vodafone discontinued the N900 this week apparently due to receiving so many back with problems...my guess is the usb port being the main one

Doesn't seems true : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=31821759&postcount=7

bjknight
2010-04-14, 20:03
That's all a bit weird then.

johnel
2010-04-14, 20:07
So basically, people from Brazil, Denmark, Finland, Greece, CPW, Vodafone & UK can still get the N900?

I conclude the assertion "N900 Discontinued?" is bulls***.

jackie_jagger
2010-04-14, 20:21
its scheduled to release in india soon so i call this bull!

Varanus261
2010-04-14, 20:26
Vodafone UK have not discontinued it yet, though have been told to remove from display. it is still stocked though thin on the ground. certainly not any recalls due to usb problems. In fact it has a very low return rate.

Scottlfa
2010-04-14, 20:27
Its a linux tablet device with wide community history [N Series] and solid development support from the community ... its never really discontinued even if that happens officially from Nokia. That's one of the strengths of the device, as long as the community embraces it, it will remain viable. Hardware's is going to be up to code for awhile as with many high end devices in the past.

digittante
2010-04-14, 20:34
I'm not surprised availability of the N900 through carriers is low. Since it's an un-locked phone, there's less incentive for carriers to sell it.

There's even less incentive here in the US where the N900's 3G frequencies are only compatible with T-Mobile.

But you can certainly get it from plenty of other places. Like 77 different online retailers (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=n900&hl=en&cid=8295500094399822435&os=sellers#p)...

Crugath
2010-04-14, 20:39
I received my N900 yesterday direct from Vodafone.co.uk, I got it as an upgrade. I ordered it on Friday and it was shipped out Monday morning. So for now at least, it's in stock with Vodafone UK still.

Great device by the way, absolutely loving it. Such a huge upgrade from my N95-8GB :D

vabgeo
2010-04-14, 20:52
I ordered one from Dell USA s they lowered the price to 440USD+tax . I thought Nokia may release an upgrade for N900 on the 13thApril.

Wichall
2010-04-15, 07:55
I'm quoting exactly what my friend was told upon ringing Vodafone...it could possibly have been o2 actually, can't remember what network he's on now...

He was told all of that then recommended the N97 as an alternative, the person on the phone just could not sell him the N900.

edanto
2010-04-15, 10:53
I just got one in Ireland, but it was hard to find! Many of the O2 stores near me only had one in stock, or has just sold the one they had in stock.

They said they were having trouble getting it in stock, but that was mainly because of the high price point, and that the network expect demand to be very low.

qwazix
2010-04-28, 11:07
So basically, people from Brazil, Denmark, Finland, Greece, CPW, Vodafone & UK can still get the N900?

I conclude the assertion "N900 Discontinued?" is bulls***.

since when is a phrase with a question mark in the end called an assertion?

Neegs
2010-07-04, 09:19
Vodafone UK have not discontinued it yet, though have been told to remove from display. it is still stocked though thin on the ground. certainly not any recalls due to usb problems. In fact it has a very low return rate.

Well they have now, i broke my N900 and now cant get it replaced so its either a Nexus1 or Desire for me now :rolleyes:. Vodafone UK have discontinued the phone. This came from the man in store and when i called the insurance company up as well to be sure

im gonna miss my N900 though

Harred
2010-07-04, 09:37
I'm quoting exactly what my friend was told upon ringing Vodafone...it could possibly have been o2 actually, can't remember what network he's on now...

He was told all of that then recommended the N97 as an alternative, the person on the phone just could not sell him the N900.

Had a long call with Vodafone about my upgrade, all he said was 'the n900 is getting pretty old now'. I've still managed to order it online and hopefully it should come tuesday or wednesday.

Neegs
2010-07-04, 09:43
Had a long call with Vodafone about my upgrade, all he said was 'the n900 is getting pretty old now'. I've still managed to order it online and hopefully it should come tuesday or wednesday.

See you would have thought they would be throwing the phone at me to get rid of stock

Harred
2010-07-04, 10:04
See you would have thought they would be throwing the phone at me to get rid of stock
The man said that they don't actually stock it online, they just order it directly from Nokia.

danramos
2010-07-04, 10:14

N900 is getting old? It was JUST released to the public in October, didn't it? It's not even a year old. But then, there IS all this talk about Nokia's new commitment to a new MeeGo device soon anyway, right?

Welcome to the 770/N800/N810/WE club. :P

zimmerit
2010-07-04, 22:21
Nokia is really good at making their phones obsolete with shitty marketing. The same seems to happen with the N8, 'oh the symbian^3 is just the first step'

phr
2010-07-06, 18:52
Newegg.com in US just lowered n900 price to 400 USD. Maybe that is a response to the Iphone 4.

Texrat
2010-07-06, 18:56
Just now launching in India, so not completely discontinued...

TheTree
2010-08-17, 06:27
NokiaUSA no longer has the option to order it. It's been out of stock there since that $280 trade-in sale last week and now there isn't even an order page saying "out of stock." Any of the remaining links to that page have been giving generic errors for at least a few hours.

HellFlyer
2010-08-17, 06:40
It seems North American N900 are getting discontinued , NewEgg Canada offers N900 for a ridiculous 420$ with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875205178

I guess that's it they are cleaning warehouse and soon N900 will be available only through Ebay

danramos
2010-08-17, 06:49
It seems North American N900 are getting discontinued , NewEgg Canada offers N900 for a ridiculous 420$ with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875205178

I guess that's it they are cleaning warehouse and soon N900 will be available only through Ebay

I mean... I made jokes about dumping them, earlier in the thread.. but it's becoming less funny now. :rolleyes: Wow.. not even a year.

longcat
2010-08-17, 06:53
Okay, that's good news, i can buy few peaces now for spare parts in future, which means i could use n900 for the rest of my life :P

okhabin
2010-08-17, 07:17
Nokia abandoned us...

ya. keep on making bad reputation over people.

dchky
2010-08-17, 07:40
I'm no fanboy, but what you people are describing are US carriers that are not interested in selling the N900 on contract. I can think of quite a few reasons for that, but I suspect by far the biggest are handset branding and carrier provided services. The N900 is a difficult beast to lock down - carriers are not going to sell it if they can't customize it. It looks like a phone, but it certainly does not act like one. (We like this, carriers do not)

Carrier contract != Nokia

danramos
2010-08-17, 07:44
I'm no fanboy, but what you people are describing are US carriers that are not interested in selling the N900 on contract. I can think of quite a few reasons for that, but I suspect by far the biggest are handset branding and carrier provided services. The N900 is a difficult beast to lock down - carriers are not going to sell it if they can't customize it. It looks like a phone, but it certainly does not act like one. (We like this, carriers do not)

Carrier contract != Nokia

Huh? What carriers are you talking about? Newegg isn't a carrier. They're a store. A retailer, if you will. They don't customize or lock anything on the N900.

dchky
2010-08-17, 10:35
Huh? What carriers are you talking about? Newegg isn't a carrier. They're a store. A retailer, if you will. They don't customize or lock anything on the N900.

Which part of my generalization are you having trouble with exactly? I did not reference you specifically by name, I meant in general terms many posters within this thread are referencing carriers like Verizon and such.

:rolleyes:

NewEgg are still selling the N900 so it's hardly discontinued, which is, ultimately, my actual point.

BigBadGuber!
2010-08-17, 11:14
It's true though regarding NOKIA USA. N900 wAs advertised just a week ago and it's gone. However, Amazon still has it in stock

TheTree
2010-08-17, 13:45
NewEgg are still selling the N900 so it's hardly discontinued, which is, ultimately, my actual point.

The fact that a third-party vendor still has some stock is hardly proof that the phone is still being manufactured.

gill_za
2010-08-17, 14:19
Nokia has completely succumb to the dark side of the force! Every step they take, every move they make they are determined to piss off their customers more and more....

P.S. I just clicked on "buy online" on n900 page at nokiausa.com and got "Oops! Sorry?

Oops sorry, the page you're looking for isn't available."

Or is it just me?

BigBadGuber!
2010-08-17, 14:29
They want to push N8. Too many complaints about N900

They should continue to sell N900 but for developers only. They should have indicated it so in their sales.

twigleaf1976
2010-08-17, 14:45
Anyone shocked?

jacktanner
2010-08-17, 14:49
Good grief, people. The Nokia USA store ran a huge promotion on the N900. Now they're sold out. How you leap from that to "discontinued" is beyond me.

cocegas
2010-08-17, 14:50
I am disappointed. Dont know sh*t about linux but choose n900 instead of milestone for the multitasking and the open source stuff and what wonderful apps this could deliver. At least nokia could give to community all the drivers`s sources.

imperiallight
2010-08-17, 14:52
Good grief, people. The Nokia USA store ran a huge promotion on the N900. Now they're sold out. How you leap from that to "discontinued" is beyond me.

lol, I hope you are being sarcastic

dchky
2010-08-17, 15:06
The fact that a third-party vendor still has some stock is hardly proof that the phone is still being manufactured.

Nor is it proof that it isn't. Your point?

Laughing Man
2010-08-17, 15:22
I mean... I made jokes about dumping them, earlier in the thread.. but it's becoming less funny now. :rolleyes: Wow.. not even a year.

Warranties have to be fufilled somehow. If Nokia doesn't plan on making anymore N900s than maybe they'll have to offering the N8 or N9 as a replacement as some N900s start to break down due to the USB port issue.

olighak
2010-08-17, 15:30
961 in stock. None on order.

But they might also want to deplete the current stock a little further before replenishing. These are the guys that had 17000 units on order in November last year :)

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01100250U023_BCA1383P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

TheTree
2010-08-17, 15:33

For about 3 days after that promotion showed up, the purchase page for the N900 said it was out of stock. Now the purchase page no longer exists and the main landing page for the N900 has no buy link. Other links scattered around NokiaUSA that should go to the N900 purchase page instead give a missing page error. I understand that I could be misinterpreting something here, but I suspect that if Nokia was planning to continue manufacturing and selling the device, they would have left the purchase page online and saying "temporarily out of stock."

You seem quite convinced that third party stores having stock meant that the N900 was still being manufactured. I was trying to let you know that third party stock means little in terms of happenings at the assembly line in such a short period of time.

BigBadGuber!
2010-08-17, 15:55
the official line at nokiausa is that it is temporarily out of stock. i think they want N8 to take over and are therefore removing n900

danramos
2010-08-17, 19:26
Warranties have to be fufilled somehow. If Nokia doesn't plan on making anymore N900s than maybe they'll have to offering the N8 or N9 as a replacement as some N900s start to break down due to the USB port issue.

A third party site having stock to sell doesn't prove or disprove that a product is no longer being manufactured nor that it's being manufactured. How's that for an all-encompassing fact? The other fact of the matter is that, given all the inventory shortages, very low prices and Nokia's announcements about an upcoming MeeGo device, etc. it just feels like history is repeating yet again and it looks like the Nokia N810/N810WE all over again.

It's just assumptions based on all the signs converging on a particular direction. Nothing more. There's no proof of it.. just the symptoms.

Which part of my generalization are you having trouble with exactly? I did not reference you specifically by name, I meant in general terms many posters within this thread are referencing carriers like Verizon and such.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, context counts for a lot. People were talking about NewEgg and the NokiaUSA website for a full page before you jumped in and, in context again, what you said still doesn't fit into the discussion about what people are seeing. In fact, there would NEVER be anybody bringing up Verizon because the N900 uses GSM and Verizon only uses CDMA/EVDO radios. Also, the point is that NewEgg is seemingly DUMPING their inventory of N900's with this sale, which is, ultimately, my actual point. GOOD DAY, SIR! :)

crown77
2010-08-17, 19:45
if i see the prices about $400 or $280 i could scream loud i payed 600Euro around 800$ and the badest thing is nokia.de sales the N900 still for 469 Euro that are 600$ i guess they suck out the german Market.. but however it seems to be still aviable at the Nokia.de Store.

TheTree
2010-08-17, 20:20
Well this is odd. I signed up for an email when the N900 was back in stock before NokiaUSA deleted the order page. I got said email today:
Notice anything odd?

Edit: Also, the N900 purchase page is still missing on NokiaUSA.

msnbcnnbcbs
2010-08-17, 20:29
The response from 1-800 nokia is "temporarily out of stock". Not sure why they pulled the order page.

I jumped in on the flipswap deal, but it looks like it has to be purchased directly from nokia or the deal doesn't work. I remain cautiously optimistic it will be available soon :confused:

danramos
2010-08-17, 21:29
Well this is odd. I signed up for an email when the N900 was back in stock before NokiaUSA deleted the order page. I got said email today:
Notice anything odd?

Yeah, they called it a computer instead of a phone, for one.

Laughing Man
2010-08-17, 22:16
Considering they called the n800 a phone I wouldn't place much stock on Nokia knowing what the heck maemo devices are.

danramos
2010-08-17, 22:21
Considering they called the n800 a phone I wouldn't place much stock on Nokia knowing what the heck maemo devices are.

They're dump trucks! Dump trucks that are connected to a series of tubes! (TS RIP)

shazosbourne
2010-08-17, 22:33
Notice anything odd?

Well it still says temporarily out of stock.

The low price thing people are referring to isn't a "dump" indicator. I paid $469 USD from Dell USA back in January.

So, it's technology. Dynamic products lines. Corporate pigheadedness.

Disappointed in Nokia? Sure.
Happy with the outcome due to community input? Somewhat.

scribbles
2010-08-17, 22:43
Well, although it is somewhat shocking, it seems that is just the times we live in. Google announced a few weeks back that they will cease selling the Nexus One unless you're a developer. That device was released about 2 months AFTER the N900. So, after about 7mos they are moving on. Sign of the times....

danramos
2010-08-17, 23:40
Well, although it is somewhat shocking, it seems that is just the times we live in. Google announced a few weeks back that they will cease selling the Nexus One unless you're a developer. That device was released about 2 months AFTER the N900. So, after about 7mos they are moving on. Sign of the times....

True enough. The difference there, though, is that Android runs on a LOT of handsets, Google still supports the hardware (HTC, actually) in case of problems and Google is STILL officially putting out their newer OS's on that device. Maemo doesn't run no lots of manufacturers' devices, Nokia's customer support is appalling and Nokia has already said that newer OS's won't be officially supported on the N900. Nexus One customers are treated a whole lot better, despite the fact you can't buy any more.

alfmar
2010-08-18, 00:09
My next phone will be a Nokia N900 (I already have one... how could I use something with less than the N900 features?).

I hope to buy my next N900 before it disappears from stores (eBay is not an option).

PradaBrada
2010-08-18, 00:50
My next phone will be a Nokia N900 (I already have one... how could I use something with less than the N900 features?).

Thread of the year :)

scribbles
2010-08-18, 02:23
True enough. The difference there, though, is that Android runs on a LOT of handsets, Google still supports the hardware (HTC, actually) in case of problems and Google is STILL officially putting out their newer OS's on that device. Maemo doesn't run no lots of manufacturers' devices, Nokia's customer support is appalling and Nokia has already said that newer OS's won't be officially supported on the N900. Nexus One customers are treated a whole lot better, despite the fact you can't buy any more.

Very true Dan, I didn't think about the "after the purchase customer service" and some of the other points you made. I'm mixing apples and oranges here.... sad to say :(

TheTree
2010-08-18, 03:09
Well it still says temporarily out of stock.

We have a winner! :D

Nokia must be quite confused, wondering how its both in and out of stock.

srimalik
2010-08-19, 15:07
I directly put this question at nokia forums and the response was:
"no response"

http://discussions.nokiausa.com/t5/Maemo-Devices/N900-is-not-available-on-nokia-online-store-US/td-p/742904

crown77
2010-08-19, 15:11
the point is that the "official" nokia discussion Forum is also User driven no and i repeate no Nokia Supporter or any other Nokia Worker did tell you officially any answers. Nokia is good out of the shooting line with this i also did ask some Questions and all they say is we are users too there is no Nokia Representer at this Forum..

ClovisZuben
2011-01-10, 13:28
I am from Brazil and I got one N900 that is perfect with maemo. We can still find them at shops. Looks like market stategy from Nokia ?

szopin
2015-11-21, 12:56
Sorry, first post brought up by search engine, you might be interested in that: (hoping you subscribe)
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1489023#post1489023