PDA

View Full Version : The Internet Walk (the Internet Tablet Talk Preview)

Reggie
2007-02-28, 12:56
Nokia is coming out with a new interactive flash-based N800 Internet Tablet site called The Internet Walk. It shows off the features of the N800 in funny ways -- identify a new species of crab while walking on the beach, use Google Maps, walk through hot coals, check the weather while scaling a snowy mountain peak, and video chat with your mom while bungee jumping. Note also the morphing effect of the legs as it goes from one scene to another. Be prepared however to wait for a minute or two to download the whole flash presentation over broadband. Just an FYI, the main page of Internet Tablet Talk flashes for just about a second when the the flash starts. Also, for those who have been surfing Tableteer via their Internet Tablets,Â* Nokia also just added Internet Tablet Talk under the "Discover" category. Thanks Nokia!!! Head on to the The Internet Walk - Internet Tablet Talk preview: http://theinternetwalk.com/internettablettalk Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/2007/02/28/the-internet-walk-the-internet-tablet-talk-preview/)

TA-t3
2007-02-28, 13:31
The site is a bit stupidly set up, it refuses my fully working Konqueror browser saying it doesn't support frames, it doesn't support flash etc. etc. etc.
Anyway, the direct link to the flash (or at least the one it starts with -- there may be more for all I know but haven't checked yet) is http://www.theinternetwalk.com/main-main.swf and you can just e.g. wget it and run it locally.

schmots
2007-02-28, 14:49
oooooh contest for 2 free n800s

Texrat
2007-02-28, 15:55
The site is a bit stupidly set up, it refuses my fully working Konqueror browser saying it doesn't support frames, it doesn't support flash etc. etc. etc.
Anyway, the direct link to the flash (or at least the one it starts with -- there may be more for all I know but haven't checked yet) is http://www.theinternetwalk.com/main-main.swf and you can just e.g. wget it and run it locally.

I love irony.

schmots
2007-02-28, 15:56
I think he was having problems running the site from KDE not necessarily from his n800, also if it didn't work on an n800 that wouldn't be ironic, since its advertisement aimed at people who don't have one/know what one is.

sevenape
2007-02-28, 16:10
Can you use Last.FM with a n800?? Lucky buggers! Actually can you use it with the 770? I just assumed it was impossible...

romx
2007-02-28, 17:55
Thit refuses my fully working Konqueror browser saying it doesn't support frames, it doesn't support flash etc. etc. etc.

No pain - no gain! :D

Can you use Last.FM with a n800??

Yes, via flash player embedded in webpage. But with known bug: if display dimmed off - all sound stopped. I.e. unusable.

sdrman
2007-02-28, 18:15
The site is a bit stupidly set up, it refuses my fully working
Konqueror browser saying it doesn't support frames, it doesn't support flash etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, the direct link to the flash (or at least the one it starts with -- there may be more
for all I know but haven't checked yet) is http://www.theinternetwalk.com/main-main.
swf and you can just e.g. wget it and run it locally.

It also doesn't work with my n800. I get a page that says "no flash 8" The direct link loads, but does not seem to function properly.

TA-t3
2007-02-28, 18:38
Well, the n800 flash is flash7, so it probably won't work.
(As to those replying to my first post - Konqueror is on the desktop obviously, it has as good flash- and frames support as any browser including Firefox, but the web site is doing some not very smart "tests", probably via javascript. Bad site programming.)

schmots
2007-03-01, 21:24
TA-t3... switch to gnome :-D *ducks*

rattis
2007-03-02, 03:03
TA-t3... switch to gnome :-D *ducks*

Why would we give up kde for gnome? The limited benefit wouldn't be worth the pain. (yes I've used both, and I love my KDE thank you).

TA-t3
2007-03-02, 10:41
schmots, rettis, I don't use KDE.. nor Gnome. The different browsers aren't in any way locked to the desktop environment (even though MS always try to tell you otherwise when they argue about "fragmentation", when in reality it is about "choice"). So, I've been happy to use both konqueror as well as galeon at the same time. In fact I always use at least two different browser types at the same time, because they give me different possibilities. The bottom line is that as long as you run X11 you can run anything.. the desktop environment or the window manager matters not. :D

rattis
2007-03-02, 16:47
The bottom line is that as long as you run X11 you can run anything.. the desktop environment or the window manager matters not. :D

Now your just taking the fun out of it.:D

Actually I tend to use firefox for almost everything. when that fails, I go to the tablets and use opera.

schmots
2007-03-07, 11:29
My comment was strickly kde bashing for the fun of it. I don't use Galeon.. Its just that the last time I used Konqueor it had less support for standards than even i.e.

TA-t3
2007-03-07, 12:25
--but it's faster! And firefox leaks memory like there's no tomorrow, even the latest version.

sondjata
2007-03-09, 21:19
They wish the video cam was that clear!! especially for us dark skinned folk.

Garage Battle
2007-03-10, 21:17
That whole website/video is a flat out lie. Last time I checked you dont get WiFi at the beach, in the snow, or on a bridge. The N800 does not accept GSM cards so it cannot do EDGE or 3g. The only way it could do what it shows is if you had it paired with a 3g phone (edge speeds arent fast enough for the video conferencing).

I think that website/video is a great idea of what the N800 should have been able to do, but unfortunately it cannot do that. Why not add the disclaimer in the beginning "Features shown are only possible with a EDGE/3g phone used as a modem when not in range of WiFi." Honestly, thats false advertising.

Adam_n800
2007-03-10, 22:04
lol that's business dude! $$$$

TA-t3
2007-03-11, 14:49
@Garage Battle: If you read Ari Jaaski's blog you'll realize that one of the strategic decisions for the tablet was that it should _not_ have its own gsm card, the whole idea is that it should have good BT and use BT to communicate with whatever device you have in your pocket, for those cases where you're outside of wi-fi range. Keep the N800, update (and keep updating) the phone device as necessary, as new communication technology comes around.

And to me, this makes sense. I use the N800 with my BT GPRS phone, this works much better than with any other device I've tried to use with the phone (certainly better than a PDA uses it). In time, I expect to get cheap 3G through a new phone. Currently I can't get it here. I could get Edge, or wait. Still using the same N800, which is great.

Oh, and the N800 is too big to be a phone, sometimes I wouldn't have been able to bring it where I would need a phone. The phone can be as small as I like, almost, and I most certainly don't want multiple GSM cards and contracts. And with good BT there's no need, fortunately!

In short, I like that the N800 doesn't have a slot for a GSM card. It would have made the device more expensive, and been a less flexible solution too.

Garage Battle
2007-03-12, 18:44
While I understand some of your points, i would like to add some more from my perspective.

1. Adding the cost of a GSM slot, and the proper electronics so it could be used on a "data only" plan would make loads of sense. It would assumably not cost much more for a data only plan (eg. Tmobile Sidekick data only plan, etc). For a company that can produce nearly "throw away" cost level phones, this should not be a problem.

2. Its not like Nokia has an excuse, thats what they do, they make cell phones.

3. If I have it bluetoothed to the phone very often I will miss incoming calls. I use a Nokia 6131 on the newest firmware. TMobile provider.

4. The bluetooth functionality is very poor. If i have the bluetooth on I can turn it off from the main screen (new shortcut they made, recent firmware). Yet to turn the bluetooth back on i have to go into the control panel. ******ed.

5. I cannot begin to tell you how many times Ive tried to use it to fill out forms, goto certain websites (eg. tv.msn.com so I can control my home Media Center schedule) to just get slapped in the face when it wont do it. Tried buying something on Newegg one night, typed in the zip code, and the tablet kept erasing the field. Tmobile's online configurator site, could not understand how to handle two "drop down" menus on the same page. Etc, etc, etc.

Let me tell you, in the entire time ive owned it, only one time it actually did something amazing. Panera bread with friends, one of my friends mentions his internet radio station, and I easily brought it up on my player. I spent $400 for a basic internet reader/browser and an amazing internet radio player.

Bottom line. If I have the tablet and my phone with me, i will not bother to use the tablet 90% of the time because my 6131's combo of Opera Mini, Google Maps, and Google Mail are SO MUCH FASTER than the N800 over EDGE speeds. I can do things incredibly fast with just the phone. It has to earn its place in my pocket, keys, moneys, and phone have 3, and I cant justify the empty 4th pocket as nothing more than a paper weight. Good to have in a fight though.

TA-t3
2007-03-13, 12:11
1. Adding the cost of a GSM slot, and the proper electronics so it could be used on a "data only" plan would make loads of sense. It would assumably not cost much more for a data only plan (eg. Tmobile Sidekick data only plan, etc). For a company that can produce nearly "throw away" cost level phones, this should not be a problem.

Maybe. But you would still need another GSM contract, unless you don't think the N800 is too large for a phone. Most people don't seem to want this, afaik the GSM interface cards for laptops were never big sellers.

3. If I have it bluetoothed to the phone very often I will miss incoming calls. I use a Nokia 6131 on the newest firmware. TMobile provider.

Never observed that. That would of course be very annoying. But still, it's not something that can be held against the tablet, as it's clearly a bug in the phone part of the chain.

4. The bluetooth functionality is very poor. If i have the bluetooth on I can turn it off from the main screen (new shortcut they made, recent firmware). Yet to turn the bluetooth back on i have to go into the control panel. ******ed.

No, you don't have to do that. I agree it's a design bug that the BT icon disappears if you turn it off, but you don't have to go to the control panel to use BT dialup again: Just select your phone as connection just as usual, and it will turn on BT for you while connecting.

5. I cannot begin to tell you how many times Ive tried to use it to fill out forms, goto certain websites (eg. tv.msn.com so I can control my home Media Center schedule) to just get slapped in the face when it wont do it. Tried buying something on Newegg one night, typed in the zip code, and the tablet kept erasing the field. Tmobile's online configurator site, could not understand how to handle two "drop down" menus on the same page. Etc, etc, etc.

Er.. but this has nothing at all to do with the issue of built-in phone or not.. agree?

Garage Battle
2007-03-14, 20:44
Maybe. But you would still need another GSM contract, unless you don't think the N800 is too large for a phone. Most people don't seem to want this, afaik the GSM interface cards for laptops were never big sellers.

Never observed that. That would of course be very annoying. But still, it's not something that can be held against the tablet, as it's clearly a bug in the phone part of the chain.

No, you don't have to do that. I agree it's a design bug that the BT icon disappears if you turn it off, but you don't have to go to the control panel to use BT dialup again: Just select your phone as connection just as usual, and it will turn on BT for you while connecting.

Er.. but this has nothing at all to do with the issue of built-in phone or not.. agree?

To rant a little less, my main point being that a SIM card slot could have been installed, and it could have just been another option for the connection. Most of us have to pay an additional amount per month to use internet on our phones, sometimes more to have a plan that allows tethering to a device. I would rather pay that amount for my device to have a data only plan (some friends have phones and then sidekicks/blackberrys on seperate data only plans).

Milhouse
2007-03-15, 01:22

Actually, no you wouldn't - there is a Bluetooth feature (probably designed for cars/automobiles and other fixed locations) called Remote SIM Access that allows a cellular device to gain access to a network using the SIM in a paired device. Obviously both devices can't access the network at the same time which is why it's ideal for cars, but could work in the case of a "N900" so that the user doesn't incur dual contract charges.

Whether it is workable or not is another matter - if the N900 is using the cellular network for data access the N900 then needs to be able to handle voice calls as well since the phone is no longer connected to the network.

Perhaps a SIM slot could be included in the N900 as well, and if it's populated with a valid SIM the N900 can use that SIM to connect to the cellular network and if not it uses the SIM from a paired device.

It's almost certainly more trouble than it's worth to be honest, and we may be better off with the Bluetooth modem trick due to it's simplicity... personally I'm not interested in seeing mobile phone functionality in the N900, the device would be too big and probably lead to more side talking (http://www.sidetalkin.com/page-1.html) embarassment for Nokia. :)

Milhouse
2007-03-15, 01:26
No, you don't have to do that. I agree it's a design bug that the BT icon disappears if you turn it off

Sadly, it's no longer classified as a bug (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=971)! :(

Milhouse
2007-03-15, 01:32
...my main point being that a SIM card slot could have been installed, and it could have just been another option for the connection.

But along with the SIM card slot Nokia would also need to include the electronic chippery for GSM, CDMA, 3G, EDGE and HSDPA. How much extra would this add to the bottom line, leading to reduced sales due to increased retail price when Bluetooth DUN is good enough for most people?

Also, Nokia have stated that by NOT including cellular connectivity they don't have to get the device certified in each and every country as they do with their mobile phones.

By not including cellular connectivity the bottom line is reduced (leading to lower prices for consumers - remember, Internet Tablets are not subsidised by network providers) and it also speeds time to market for new Internet Tablet devices.

Double bubble. :)

Milhouse
2007-03-15, 01:38
Most of us have to pay an additional amount per month to use internet on our phones, sometimes more to have a plan that allows tethering to a device. I would rather pay that amount for my device to have a data only plan (some friends have phones and then sidekicks/blackberrys on seperate data only plans).

This isn't Nokias problem - it's a problem with the unsophisticated and unimaginate network providers where you happen to live. Change network provider to one that offers more creative data and/or voice plans, eg. T-Mobile are a global provider that seem to offer reasonably priced data plans on top of a voice plan.

Karel Jansens
2007-03-15, 11:22
Sadly, it's no longer classified as a bug (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=971)! :(

If it has been changed to a "feature request" (no matter how dumb the Nokia drone who did that must be), doesn't that mean it gets on the roadmap?

Milhouse
2007-03-15, 16:56
It seems that Quim Gil has picked it up - Quim is responsible for the roadmap, so I guess it may be added to the roadmap (he's picked up several other bugs/enhancements). The Roadmap (http://test.maemo.org/support/roadmap.html) is going to be updated every Friday so we'll see what changes tomorrow. :)

I'd still say a fix is a priority for this bug - obviously it hasn't been fixed in the next firmware. That sucks as it's such an obvious and annoying bug - what else hasn't been fixed?! :(