PDA

View Full Version : The world for right click.

penguinbait
2007-03-01, 17:09
What needs to happen to bind the mouse buttons to the zoom-/fullscreen/zoom+

This would be the best thing ever to come to this hardware. What needs to happen, is it X, can we come up with some config options to make this happen. We need to find some X hackers. You can right click in x11vnc, we just need a way to bind the buttons to the mouse.

How hard would it be to get a bluetooth mouse going.

Anyone, Anyone???

perkata
2007-03-01, 17:24
I second Penguinbait's request.

I've got a bluetooth trackball and all I can do with it is pair; no cursor even.

Please someone . . .

gisborne
2007-03-01, 18:06
Hear, here.

I would love to have mouse support. They have those nice folding flat bluetooth mouses now.

A stylus is horrible to use in conjunction with a keyboard, because it takes too long to switch between the two. That's why God invented the mouse.

lbattraw
2007-03-01, 19:01
I second Penguinbait's request.

I've got a bluetooth trackball and all I can do with it is pair; no cursor even.

Please someone . . .

There's some oddness even with a cursor shown, unfortunately. I'm using x2x to control my n800 from my desktop and the cursor will disappear at certain times and quite a few applications completely ignore (left) clicks or click-drag events. This includes Opera, which does _nothing_. I'm afraid we're going to need some coding to fix this one. I need to get myself a BT mouse see if this is specific to x2x/X clients and if the X server even will talk to a mouse.

Larry

penguinbait
2007-03-01, 20:47
What I really want is to bind mouse keys to the nokia buttons. The fact that I can right click on VNC to the n800 means that the X server accepts the mouse actions. The problem is you have to be in wmaker/openbox/fluxbox or some other window manager. Matchbox is designed to be a 1 button window manager, left click only. If I startup an alternate window manager and run x11vnc server I can right click and use the menus.

This shouldn't be that hard. I think if we got mousekeys going we could bind to the buttons maybe. I guess the hard part being getting mousekeys going.

TitaniumRat
2007-03-01, 21:18
hmmm, has anyone ever compiled gpm on the 770/N800?

the X server is being called with the arguement "-mouse tslib" at boot in the /etc/rc.d/S21x-server script. I'd be interested to see if we messed with gpm to handle the touchscreen and the mouse, if the x-server could deal with both by changing the arguement to "-mouse /dev/gpmdata".

Karel Jansens
2007-03-01, 22:10
What I really want is to bind mouse keys to the nokia buttons. The fact that I can right click on VNC to the n800 means that the X server accepts the mouse actions. The problem is you have to be in wmaker/openbox/fluxbox or some other window manager. Matchbox is designed to be a 1 button window manager, left click only. If I startup an alternate window manager and run x11vnc server I can right click and use the menus.

This shouldn't be that hard. I think if we got mousekeys going we could bind to the buttons maybe. I guess the hard part being getting mousekeys going.

I'm going to stab wildly in the dark again: For the Zaurus (and Archos PMA) platform, there exists a program, "mousel", that will allow the user to plug in a USB mouse, get a cursor (one that you can see) and control the computer with it.

Obviously, the two platforms are seriously dissimilar, but perhaps that code could be adapted for a bluetooth mouse on ITOS. Who knows? I think I saw a Sus scrofa domesticus fly past just now.

Joking aside, the author's homeage is here:
http://home.versatel.nl/hogenberg11/pma400.html
Mousel can be found as the next to last program on that page.
The author can be contacted at the email address at the top of that page (I'm not repeating it here because he's obviously not too keen on spammers). BTW, his name is Jaap Hogenberg; he's Dutch.

May I add that, as someone who's actually used mousel on his Archos, to me the importance of being able to use a mous on a handheld -- even in a stationary position -- is rather overrated. I get along just fine with a stylus/finger and a keyboard.

Texrat
2007-03-02, 04:07
What we need is a sort of "ring" stylus that clips around the tip of your finger with a point that extends far enough to act as a stylus when needed but not too far to interfere with typing.

Hmmm...

*re-engages rusty designer brain cells*

penguinbait
2007-03-02, 04:21
mouseemu, is looking pretty good to me, bind to home key. home + left click = right click
This is what it as made for, it compiled ok, but its usage is confusing me, cant seem to make it work, also compiled xmodmap and cant make that do it either?

Rocketman
2007-03-02, 06:41
I would love bluetooth mouse support. I would just love to be able to whip out my Mogo mouse and N800 and start playing Quake 2 on a whim!

pwborders
2007-03-02, 23:47
What we need is a sort of "ring" stylus that clips around the tip of your finger with a point that extends far enough to act as a stylus when needed but not too far to interfere with typing.

Hmmm...

*re-engages rusty designer brain cells*

That already exists and I have several but I can't remember what they were called. They are little plastic points with an adjustable strap to go around your finger. When I got them, years ago, they came in a plastic bag with a cardboard folded top like you find hanging in a store. There were something like three in a package and they came in all black of multicolors.

Google is our friend : http://www.stingerstylus.com/

Pete B

Karel Jansens
2007-03-03, 00:01
That already exists and I have several but I can't remember what they were called. They are little plastic points with an adjustable strap to go around your finger. When I got them, years ago, they came in a plastic bag with a cardboard folded top like you find hanging in a store. There were something like three in a package and they came in all black of multicolors.

Google is our friend : http://www.stingerstylus.com/

Pete B

They played merry hell with my typing. Never could manage ten finger tapping with one of those doozies clipped to my digit. I guess they might be allright for hunt'n peckers, substituting middle finger for forefinger.

Texrat
2007-03-05, 15:50
I'm sure there's a design solution.

Karel Jansens
2007-03-05, 16:28
I'm sure there's a design solution.

Yes. It's called a "stylus". :D

Basically, the finger stylus tries to mix two mutually exclusive manual input methods, one where your fingers are on a keyboard (that's assuming we're talking about typists, and not peckists) and one where your fingers are on a touch display.

Personally, as my professional (in as much) life is going to involve a lot more typing in the forseeable future, I'm seriously considering learning Joe's WordStar-based shortcuts (if I can find a BT keyboard that can be coaxed into an escape key, that is) and make that editor my main workhorse.

I've talked to fossil WordStar afficionados and they're unanymous: It takes a lot of learning, but once you've got those commands mastered, it's a helluvah fast way to process words. Me likee.

penguinbait
2007-03-05, 16:37
This seems to have gone a bit off topic? We are looking for a way to bind right click to nokia button. At least that was the intention of this thread.

Texrat
2007-03-05, 16:55
Seriously, a slight modification to that device, Karel, and your complaint evaporates. ;)

And yeah, we veered off topic, but where has the interest been in the original one, penguin? *poof*

Karel Jansens
2007-03-05, 17:12
Seriously, a slight modification to that device, Karel, and your complaint evaporates. ;)

I've tried two: One with the stylus point at a right angle, and one where the "ring" was clipped on lower (or higher, depending where you start) on the forefinger. The first one only really works if the point is at a right angle to the forefinger towards the middle finger; again, touch typing is hampered towards the "impossible" mark. The latter requires anatomically challenging acrobatics with the forefinger to use the stylus, but typing works. The only possible (but not cheap) solution I see is a very short tip, molded over the tip of the forefinger. This would require almost individualized production.

You might want to check why noone came up with a usable writing tool for touch typists, back in the days when computers weren't around that much.

And yeah, we veered off topic, but where has the interest been in the original one, penguin? *poof*

Speak for yourself! If an alternative window manager for the N800 becomes mainstream, the right click emulation will be very important. An ergonomic solution for that problem (and a better one than we have now, which is basically to tap and wait until a submenu comes up) should be found as early as possible.

Personally, I'd vote for a "hardware key+tap" solution. Maybe the esc key?

Texrat
2007-03-05, 17:18
Karel, I didn't mean to say the raisson d'etre for the thread evaporated-- just the *apparent* interest. I was half-kidding anyway. I want the functionality, and your suggestion sounds reasonable.

As for the finger stylus, you left out the design change I had in mind. I'll say no more in case there's an opportunity to make a buck or three. ;)

EDIT: oh, and this thread was located in "Off Topic", even though it is tablet related, so that begs the question 'how does one get off topic in an off topic thread?'

:p

TitaniumRat
2007-03-05, 17:55
mouseemu, is looking pretty good to me, bind to home key. home + left click = right click
This is what it as made for, it compiled ok, but its usage is confusing me, cant seem to make it work, also compiled xmodmap and cant make that do it either?

hi penguinbait,

looks like mouseemu requires uinput support, and there doesn't seem to be any. there's no evdev module that I see. looks like the usage would be `mouseemu -middle 0 0 -right 0 71` if there were a /dev/uinput device, at least.

penguinbait
2007-03-05, 18:12
uinput is in kbbd, and available for all current platforms. Still not working though.

Textrat, just trying to focus you all....

Texrat
2007-03-05, 19:12
I have ADHD. Good luck with that focus thing. ;)

Karel Jansens
2007-03-05, 20:39
ADHD? How fascina --- Ooohh! a squirrel!!! Hihihihihi!

:rolleyes:

Texrat
2007-03-05, 21:08
Welcome to my wo-- oh look! cows!

speculatrix
2007-03-06, 23:07
another finger stylus, unlike stinger, the pointer's above the nail, not under the pad: http://www.truetip.com/

speculatrix
2007-03-06, 23:12
p.s. found a site which seems to have every kind of stylus under the sun: http://www.styluscentral.com/