PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Travel Routers - configuring

itsharry
2007-03-05, 18:36
Currently I'm looking for a wifi travel router. While there are several brands, does anyone have any experience configuring one on the road? The Apple Airport Express looks promising but can only be configured by specialized software and not by web-interface; others must be configured by wire-connection. Are there any routers which can be configured wirelessly and by using the webbrowser (on an N800)?
thanks, Harry

Texrat
2007-03-05, 19:15
I use the compact WRT54GC from Linksys and other than the occasional need for a reboot it works very well. I hear there's an even smaller one than mine but I haven't seen it. If you get one, buy an external antenna too just in case. I got mine cheap on eBay.

itsharry
2007-03-05, 19:33
I use the compact WRT54GC from Linksys and other than the occasional need for a reboot it works very well. I hear there's an even smaller one than mine but I haven't seen it. If you get one, buy an external antenna too just in case. I got mine cheap on eBay.

Yeah, LinkSys has a very tiny one too. Can you configure yours wirelessly, by using the webbrowser? Some routers have to be configured by wire-connection-to-ethernet-port, which would make it useless for the N800.

Texrat
2007-03-05, 21:32
Yes, I use a webbrowser for configuration.

Rocketman
2007-03-05, 22:48
I have a dlink travel router which is smaller than the Linksys and comes with a nice little pleather carrying case. I also recently hacked a La Fonera router to run dd-wrt. It uses an Atheros radio and can do all sorts of neat stuff like single radio non-wds repeating! Getting DD-WRT onto it is decidedly non-trivial at this point and the dd-wrt distribution for it is in rapid development. It does however enable some very interesting options which I haven't seen in any router I would actually want to haul around with me.

drjazz1947
2007-03-06, 02:28
Hi
I have a netgear wgr101 travel router it is small & pretty good

stephen

itsharry
2007-03-06, 18:41
Can it be configured:
a. wirelessly? (some need to be configured by wire-connection between the ethernet-ports on a pc and the modem, which would make it useless for the N800)
b. by webbrowser? (some need to be configured using specialized software, which, again, would make it useless for the N800)

BobF4321
2007-03-06, 23:08
I have an Apple Airport Express, and configured it at home before leaving on a trip. Worked fine in my hotel room with my N800, plugged into the in-room ethernet connection. The lack of web browser configuration is not generally a problem.

itsharry
2007-03-08, 20:10
I have an Apple Airport Express, and configured it at home before leaving on a trip. Worked fine in my hotel room with my N800, plugged into the in-room ethernet connection. The lack of web browser configuration is not generally a problem.

Makes sense, but how does it deal with the different internet-thru-ethernet schemes out there, dhcp, static ip, what have you; not being a biggie on connection-matters, I'd want to be able to configure the connection with the means on hand if need be, viz. an ethernet-contact-in-the-hotelroom-wall, said travel router, and the N800. Wireless (web)browser configuration N800 <-> travel router would be the ticket.

BigRedDog
2007-03-08, 21:37
I have the Linksys Travel Router.

It worked great on a business trip last week and is configurable via the n800's web browser.

ankle biter
2007-03-08, 21:56
i use the fon fonera router...
its small, cheap, and easy.

itsharry
2007-03-08, 22:20
i use the fon fonera router...
its small, cheap, and easy.

Is that [http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Fon/Fonera] a solder kit?

Anyhoo, I'm sure it is small, cheap, and easy, but referring to my original questions, is it configurable wirelessly and by webbrowser?

thx, an end-luser

itsharry
2007-06-24, 11:01
To followup on my original question, I now got the LinkSys WTR54GS travel router and it works as intended, i.e. it can be configured wirelessly, by webbrowser.
Probably most convenient for small changes to the configuration, as the connection will drop after saving changes (but reconnect quickly afterwards).

fldude99
2007-06-24, 12:32
I have a Belkin wireless access point-not a router, and all I do is plug it into the hotel's ethernet connection and I'm online. I don't configure it or do a thing and it has always worked fine

Mark S
2007-07-01, 04:10
i also use a wireless access point, which always works great for me.

booyah5
2007-08-25, 05:50
If I was going to buy a travel router, I'd definitly buy this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZTERE/sr=8-1/qid=1151510892/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5963271-6972724?ie=UTF8) which has a built-in dialup modem for those broadband dead-spots out there in the world. It also has an ethernet port for when broadband is available. Pretty slick for $100!

GeraldKo
2009-05-08, 23:25
I thought I'd report on use of my wifi travel router in hotels.

My router -- a Netgear WGR101, with firmware updated -- worked fine (notwithstanding bad reviews it gets elsewhere).

However, there were two problems worth relating.

Using it in shared mode, with my brother with whom I was sharing a room, worked fine at first, but then, after a short period of a half-hour or so, the network discovered that there were two of us using a single line (for which they charged an absurd $30/day), and it booted off the second user.

Also, and this is probably not an issue for most of you -- it's an issue only for those of you who are not security-conscious to begin with. We left the router on, left the hotel, and the 24-hour period expired. In our absence a hotel guest in a different room had gotten on our wireless connection and clicked to pay for another 24 hours ... and the $30 got charged to our room!

Francisco
2009-05-09, 02:39
I use the D-Link DWL-G730AP
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=346
Configuration is made with browser using a wire connection (Ethernet cable). Very easy to use.