PDA

View Full Version : flashing eMMC

gabby131
2010-04-25, 12:37
hi a question about eMMC flashing.

the available version of VANILLLA is eMMC content 1.2009.41-1

does that mean i need the firmware version 1.2009.42-11 installed on the device?

the reason is that, i have the pr1.1 installed and when flashing eMMC, it says "device not found, waiting..."

please advise

maxximuscool
2010-04-25, 12:49
hi a question about eMMC flashing.

the available version of VANILLLA is eMMC content 1.2009.41-1

does that mean i need the firmware version 1.2009.42-11 installed on the device?

the reason is that, i have the pr1.1 installed and when flashing eMMC, it says "device not found, waiting..."

please advise

No. The eMMC image is the same to all current firmware. The reason it being labelled 42.11 is because that's when the official production firmware is released. The Vanilla will format the eMMC from preproduction N900 to current version N900 with 2G of application storage. Whereas the preproduction is only 256MB. So you don't need firmware 42.11 to use vanilla.

gabby131
2010-04-25, 12:50
No. The eMMC image is the same to all current firmware. The reason it being labelled 42.11 is because that's when the official production firmware is released. The Vanilla will format the eMMC from preproduction N900 to current version N900 with 2G of application storage. Whereas the preproduction is only 256MB. So you don't need firmware 42.11 to use vanilla.

thanks....if thats the case.....there is something wrong here.

the flasher cant find my device, but i did re-flashed the FIASCO successfully.

geneven
2010-04-25, 12:56
The fact that you are getting that message means you are on the right track!

I am assuming you are in Linux on a computer.

Switch off the N900.
Unplug the USB.
Hold down the U key on the N900.
Plug in the USB while still holding down the U key.
Watch the n900 screen. It will be dim but you will see it. When you see the USB symbol, stop holding down the U key.
Flashing should begin.

More details in the Wiki.

gabby131
2010-04-25, 13:00
The fact that you are getting that message means you are on the right track!

I am assuming you are in Linux on a computer.

Switch off the N900.
Unplug the USB.
Hold down the U key on the N900.
Plug in the USB while still holding down the U key.
Watch the n900 screen. It will be dim but you will see it. When you see the USB symbol, stop holding down the U key.
Flashing should begin.

More details in the Wiki.

im on microsoft windows 7 (XP mode) but i already try the holding the u further more.

still not seem to work. but thanks

eitama
2010-04-25, 13:06
I managed to flash in windows 7 60-bit with xp mode.
But I did not flash eMMC, I flashed the letho OC kernel.
I assume that if I managed to flash that, I would also be able to flash eMMC
So, keep trying!

gabby131
2010-04-25, 13:14
i see the dim Nokia and followed by the progression dots, but it says on the wiki, it should only take 1 minute, but im still waiting

gabby131
2010-04-25, 13:18
I managed to flash in windows 7 60-bit with xp mode.
But I did not flash eMMC, I flashed the letho OC kernel.
I assume that if I managed to flash that, I would also be able to flash eMMC
So, keep trying!

i can flash FW and FIASCO with no probs in win 7 64-bit (XP mode) the emmc flashing is the only problem i have now

eitama
2010-04-25, 13:19
i see the dim Nokia and followed by the progression dots, but it says on the wiki, it should only take 1 minute, but im still waiting

You mean the progression dots on your N900?
If you want to know how the N900 should look like, connected to PC via usb in that flashing mode, I can connect mine and let you know.

Just let me know if you need it.

gabby131
2010-04-25, 13:21
You mean the progression dots on your N900?
If you want to know how the N900 should look like, connected to PC via usb in that flashing mode, I can connect mine and let you know.

Just let me know if you need it.

it says on the wiki those 5 dots (the dots when you reboot the device) will appear after the dim Nokia logo and then flash, but mine does not flash,

giving me an idea would be great :D

gabby131
2010-04-25, 13:27
ok! i GIVE UP!!!

is reformatting the Hard drive (32gb) will do almost the same effect as the re-flashing of the eMMC???

eitama
2010-04-25, 13:38
it says on the wiki those 5 dots (the dots when you reboot the device) will appear after the dim Nokia logo and then flash, but mine does not flash,

giving me an idea would be great :D

Ok, I guess if the flasher app is not running and waiting for the N900 then the progression dots won't appear. BUT,
Did you watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6dblXl2eo)?
It's from here (http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#Flashing_using_PC)!

I followed the steps on that youtube and flasher worked perfectly for kernels!

gabby131
2010-04-25, 14:04
Ok, I guess if the flasher app is not running and waiting for the N900 then the progression dots won't appear. BUT,
Did you watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6dblXl2eo)?
It's from here (http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#Flashing_using_PC)!

I followed the steps on that youtube and flasher worked perfectly for kernels!

i can reflash my device's rootfs and firmware with no problems, the only this is flashing the eMMC, everything is fine but flashing the eMMC.

we can see that i only want to free up my memory for installable apps (2gb memory), and flashing the emmc is the only way for that. and that is my problem.

eitama
2010-04-25, 14:10
i can reflash my device's rootfs and firmware with no problems, the only this is flashing the eMMC, everything is fine but flashing the eMMC.

we can see that i only want to free up my memory for installable apps (2gb memory), and flashing the emmc is the only way for that. and that is my problem.

Oh, Can't help you there than, at least not till I need to flash eMMC myself...
Good luck!

gabby131
2010-04-25, 16:04
Oh, Can't help you there than, at least not till I need to flash eMMC myself...
Good luck!

thanks anyway. my memory for apps are kinda populated. 700mb free. and unistalling apps does not free up that space

:D

gabby131
2010-04-25, 17:00
tried everything, maybe the only way is to do this on a winXP desktop

geneven
2010-04-25, 17:09
im on microsoft windows 7 (XP mode) but i already try the holding the u further more.

still not seem to work. but thanks

Sorry, I never got it to work well with Win 7 either.

gabby131
2010-04-25, 17:10
so would my problem be solved at a windows xp desktop?

eitama
2010-04-25, 17:50
so would my problem be solved at a windows xp desktop?

Download ubuntu desktop image, boot from it as Live Ubuntu.
Download the flasher to diskonkey, and follow linux instructions to flash. (Just a suggestion, don't know if it will 100% work, and didn't try it myself - but this way you don't have to install windows xp.)

geneven
2010-04-25, 18:00
Let's take one step back! How much rootfs do you have now? If you have 20 mb you are fine.

gabby131
2010-04-25, 20:17
@geneven

i have still 35mb free in rootfs with all repos activated.

im just wondering......why when apps are un-installed, it does not free up the memory for installable apps (2gb memory) or i just dont notice it.

geneven
2010-04-25, 21:02
@geneven

i have still 35mb free in rootfs with all repos activated.

im just wondering......why when apps are un-installed, it does not free up the memory for installable apps (2gb memory) or i just dont notice it.

Well, I'm not sure, but I think some things are left behind because there is certain data and stuff that is generally usable by other programs, so it isn't removed when the program is.

Back to the other subject: I wouldn't even worry about the eMMC unless you start having serious problems and can't find another solution other than reflashing back to the stone age, so to speak.

When you feel ambitious, learn to run Ubuntu from a CD. It's fun, and it would make flashing easier for you when you need it.

gabby131
2010-04-25, 22:51
Well, I'm not sure, but I think some things are left behind because there is certain data and stuff that is generally usable by other programs, so it isn't removed when the program is.

Back to the other subject: I wouldn't even worry about the eMMC unless you start having serious problems and can't find another solution other than reflashing back to the stone age, so to speak.

When you feel ambitious, learn to run Ubuntu from a CD. It's fun, and it would make flashing easier for you when you need it.

so ubuntu is really needed to run by burning a cd. i installed that one on my laptop and tried flashing, but the flasher from wiki does not work when i try to install the flasher.

having a good time with that os. having a win7 and ubuntu in a laptop is so cool.

back to the topic. so if the case that not the whole file is deleted on the memory when an app is uninstalled, what if i already instal and uninstall a big app? does that mean it consumes space? or it just replaces the old app file?

gabby131
2010-04-27, 12:52
yes!

so after browsing the root of the device, and reading through some guides in this forum, i found out that apps are not fully removed when uninstalled.

what i did is:

xterm.
sudo gainroot
cd /home (/opt, /user, etc)
and delete all the app directories that i uninstall

result is a 300mb space freed from my 2gb app memory.

my questions:

-is this a good way to do this? (i know its a lot of work but works for freeng up space in eMMC)

-is there other directories that apps' datas are installed other that /opt and /user?

please advise. my deepest thanks.

Rob1n
2010-04-27, 13:14
yes!

so after browsing the root of the device, and reading through some guides in this forum, i found out that apps are not fully removed when uninstalled.

what i did is:

xterm.
sudo gainroot
cd /home (/opt, /user, etc)
and delete all the app directories that i uninstall

result is a 300mb space freed from my 2gb app memory.

my questions:

-is this a good way to do this? (i know its a lot of work but works for freeng up space in eMMC)

-is there other directories that apps' datas are installed other that /opt and /user?

please advise. my deepest thanks.

It should be just /opt that needs clearing out (and this will be done automatically with PR1.2). The directories in /home/user are the configuration files, so are usually left in case you want to reinstall the apps. They're perfectly safe to remove if you've uninstalled the app though.

atilla
2010-05-14, 16:00
hey guys.which format method is better the with vanilla and a pc or can i do it with:go in filemanager press and hold on n900 and the press format.is it the same???

Rob1n
2010-05-14, 18:29
hey guys.which format method is better the with vanilla and a pc or can i do it with:go in filemanager press and hold on n900 and the press format.is it the same???

No, all you're formatting on the N900 is the MyDocs partition. When you reflash with the vanilla, you're also rewriting the /home partition (which is usually where any problems are that lead to you needing to reflash the eMMC).

peacekeper
2010-05-19, 05:07
hi guys recently i reflashed my n900, no problem at all with the fiasco image ( coming from pr 1.2 to pr 1.1) but i do have a problem here when i tried to reflash the EMMC, everything went ok until when the reflashing suddenly stopped at the part where it says
" Raw data transfer EP found at EP2.
instead of read the original message wich is : Image (s) flashed succesfully in bla bla bla bla time.
there is message telling me the following:
(finished) 96%, then there is a number i think is the time it took to reflash and then the 0 kB/s
and don't move from there, and the phone stay freezed, so i have to remove the batery, and then switch on the phone just to discovered that some information was still remaining, like some pictures on the memory card, and the pictures on the memory of the phone but i can not see them.
what can i do to completely reflash the emmc and get rid from all those files still in? need some help .plz

i forgot to say that right now is not recognizing the sim card and the memory card

Russianhaxor
2010-09-22, 01:37
The fun part is that I'm having the same issue as the OP in XP Mode. I figured out what is stopping it but I don't know how to remedy it. Basically the phone disconnects in order to switch modes but instead of going back into updater mode it goes into PC Suite mode which makes it unrecognizable to the Flasher utility.

Russianhaxor
2010-09-22, 07:22
Update: Phone calls are also not updating...

apparently nobody can help :( i really thought this would be the right place to come for help too...

Russianhaxor
2010-09-23, 19:58
Can anyone help me figure out why it's doing this? or am i boned?

ducki
2010-09-23, 20:24
Update: Phone calls are also not updating...

apparently nobody can help :( i really thought this would be the right place to come for help too...

read here, that I managed to do http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62783&highlight=emmc may this can help you, for now

slender
2010-09-23, 20:29
@russianhaxor
Have you tried to flash from linux live-cd as suggested in maemo wiki flash guide.

Russianhaxor
2010-09-23, 20:53
read here, that I managed to do http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62783&highlight=emmc may this can help you, for now

Thanks. Will try. :)

Russianhaxor
2010-09-23, 21:21
I've made some progress, it now goes to the part where the screen dims for a few seconds and does the progress dots, but then it freezes and doesn't continue further. Have you seen this before?

ducki
2010-09-23, 21:36
I've made some progress, it now goes to the part where the screen dims for a few seconds and does the progress dots, but then it freezes and doesn't continue further. Have you seen this before?

flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f
flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.41-1.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin --flash-only=cmt-mcusw -f -R
This it's work for me 100% but the os it's old but the phone its work:)
download this files and extract and run this attachament if you have windows

Russianhaxor
2010-09-23, 21:40
Aren't you supposed to flash the PR before the eMMC? Why would I flash the PR again?

Russianhaxor
2010-09-23, 22:11
Tested both of your methods, neither worked. It keeps freezing the device while it is doing the loading dots. I don't know why it keeps doing this.

rdwrig0ceo
2010-09-23, 22:20
Question, are you able to use a MAC laptop to flash the eMMC? I don't have windows,linux or ubuntu and unable to add another OS on my Mac, long story.

Actually any help would be great. I tried to download a bottorrent, I received the read only error, I went into Xterm unmounted my docs partition, error disappeared but forgot to remount myDocs before restarting download so download went on the 2gig partition instead. 2gig partition is now full and I didn't know how to look for the bitorrent file on the 2gig portion to delete if it was even possible so I decided to just reflash device. Used the 770 flasher tool for Mac to reflash all but eMMC, but it didn't fix my problem. I now have a reflashed N900 with no available memory in 2gig partition. I downloaded the eMMC file but not sure if a Mac would work. Since the 2gig portion is full I'm unable to install any apps from app manager. I can't even install rootsh to try different stuff. Any way to access the 2gig partition to look for the file to remove to free up space?

Russianhaxor
2010-09-23, 22:27
I just figured it out, I don't know what I did but fumbling around the with the device(unplugging it after it froze, replugging it back in, adding it back into the USB devices inside of the Virtual XP machine and holding U) caused it to get recognized and re-flash. Yippee? Also, the phone stayed frozen throughout the whole process so that's jsut an FYI for people watch the command prompt not just the phone because the phone stayed frozen. All in all we shall see if it worked.

slender
2010-09-24, 08:58
Oh dear. Why you didn't try e.g. ubuntu live-cd. Iīm pretty sure that it works like a charm.

slender
2010-11-01, 17:27
Am trying to flash to PR1.3 and also for the first time flash the emmc on a mac using the console and following commands...

sudo /usr/bin/flasher-3.5 -F /Users/user/Desktop/RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f

This stage works as it should (without booting back up obviously) but how do i flash the emmc also? At this stage the phone stays in the greyed out mode. I read that i shouldnt reboot between flashing the fiasco image and the emmc?

Yes it shouldnīt boot because you didnīt put "-R" option in the end of command. And itīs right thing to do if you want to flash emmc (home dir which includes all your personal stuff)

Btw. Thatīs the old image file.

Can anyone see anything wrong with the following command that i am using to try to flash the emmc?

sudo /usr/bin/flasher-3.5 -F /Users/user/Desktop/RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM -f -R

Does it give you any error? Only thing that I see is that filename doesnīt have .bin in the end. I would recommend that when ever you are writing commands in console please use tab autocompletion (I dunno if it works in osx) so that you do not make typos.

tuzk
2010-11-02, 17:59
I just flashed 1.3 but I couldn't flash eMMC,

I can use my phone and everything seems fine besides showing 76.3 MB available for applications,

Is it OK if i dont flash eMMC?

If not can i flash eMMC directly without flashing firmware again?