PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA to Carry the Nokia 770

DCForever
2005-11-29, 02:34
Hey all, I work at CompUSA. Today we received a display from Nokia with a live 770 and a phone the N92 I think. I was so excited to see the Nokia 770. The screen is awesome. I am going to try and update the firmware sometime this week and maybe install some apps to show off. We also have some on order. So hopefully it will be here soon.

Also, the price will be $399.99.

rgbyhkr
2005-11-29, 02:47
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=336223&pfp=SEARCH

bigboote
2005-11-29, 03:04
Just a thought, but would it be completely off base to speculate that, perhaps due to the unexpectedly good buzz and strong pre-orders, Nokia found one or more retail channels (say, CompUSA?) in early Nov? And, perhaps that retailer wanted to sell the 770 at a little higher price point, and not compete with the internet sales site until after the launch at their own stores?

Crazy talk, I know...

newsbot
2005-11-29, 03:10
Nokia previously mentioned that they are in talks with several retailers.
It seems like [LINK: http://www.compusa.com] CompUSA is the first one. The
Nokia 770 now [LINK:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=336223]
appears at the CompUSA website but is still not available for
order/pre-order. It will sell for $399.99 however, $40 more than the
[LINK:
http://www.nokiausa.com/add_nonactivated_phone_to_cart/1,1890,p,00.html]
Nokia USA online store`s price.

Maybe this is the reason why Nokia has benn delaying the Nokia 770. They
need more time to ship truckloads to their retailers and sell them at the
same time....Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/142)

RogerS
2005-11-29, 03:51
Gee, who will be the first to rate this product?

RogerS
2005-11-29, 04:04
The screen is awesome. I am going to try and update the firmware sometime this week and maybe install some apps to show off.
I would definitely install some of the games you can download from Handful of Nothing (http://www.marceloeduardo.com/blog/archives/maemo-games-new-packages) , Marcelo Oliveira's site.

Crazy Parking, Battle Gweled, Ice Breaker (my kids' favorites) all really shine, and Doom is, well, a mind-blower. Nako (http://koti.welho.com/jpavelek/tmp/770/) , too.

And AbiWord and Gnumeric (http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2005/11/gnumeric-spreadsheet-has-maemo-support.html) if you have to touch the business side.

The other thing I'd do is upload a really wonderful photo to use as a background image on the desktop. You can see what I mean in the blog entry (http://www.internettablettalk.com/blog/?p=167) about screen captures.

Treponema
2005-11-29, 14:49
So I checked on CompUSA's website, and there are 229 stores in the US. Do you think that's where most of the first little batch of 770's went (to be display models)?

Mike Cane
2005-11-29, 16:55
WTF?!

When is this going to happen?

Sure, $40 over the web price -- but who cares? Think of the time saved in having one.

Damn, and me just getting all excited over the OQO again...

rgbyhkr
2005-11-29, 17:14
WTF?!

When is this going to happen?

Sure, $40 over the web price -- but who cares? Think of the time saved in having one.

Damn, and me just getting all excited over the OQO again...

LOL, Mike. You and I travel in the same circles (here and handtops). ;)

Jeff

Simon
2005-11-29, 17:51
Hmmmm, it says 'coming soon' on the web site.

Where have we seen that before.....

TVD
2005-11-29, 20:25
Expansys.com (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=122779) has it for pre-order for some months now...

lbattraw
2005-11-29, 20:40
Just a thought, but would it be completely off base to speculate that, perhaps due to the unexpectedly good buzz and strong pre-orders, Nokia found one or more retail channels (say, CompUSA?) in early Nov? And, perhaps that retailer wanted to sell the 770 at a little higher price point, and not compete with the internet sales site until after the launch at their own stores?

Crazy talk, I know...

This really burns me up. I'm not as convinced of the attempt to supress competition between Nokia's site and CompUSA, but I AM pretty ticked at the probable cause of all the unit shortages-- shipping product to the retail stores FIRST, before fulfilling online orders! This would explain why various shipments have been mentioned/rumored by customer reps but they have failed to ship to anyone here. I can only imagine how many units have been shipped out to various stores without ever fulfilling a single web order. No wonder they won't talk about the delays! No one wants to admit that there's been a bunch of units appearing and disappearing just as quickly to brick-and-mortar stores. It's obvious where the early adopters and ethusiasts fall in their scheme of things-- Dead Last.

Concrete Donkey
2005-11-29, 23:00
Hey all, I work at CompUSA. Today we received a display from Nokia with a live 770 and a phone the N92 I think. I was so excited to see the Nokia 770. The screen is awesome. I am going to try and update the firmware sometime this week and maybe install some apps to show off. We also have some on order. So hopefully it will be here soon.

Also, the price will be $399.99.
Could you ask around to see if you could find out when it's going up for sale?

Treponema
2005-11-29, 23:03
I called my local CompUSA and they said that they expected the 770 to be in the end of this week. On thier computer systemn the shipping date was this Friday (December 2). Anyone think its actually going to show up then??

waddell
2005-11-30, 01:24
This really burns me up. I'm not as convinced of the attempt to supress competition between Nokia's site and CompUSA, but I AM pretty ticked at the probable cause of all the unit shortages-- shipping product to the retail stores FIRST, before fulfilling online orders! This would explain why various shipments have been mentioned/rumored by customer reps but they have failed to ship to anyone here. I can only imagine how many units have been shipped out to various stores without ever fulfilling a single web order. No wonder they won't talk about the delays! No one wants to admit that there's been a bunch of units appearing and disappearing just as quickly to brick-and-mortar stores. It's obvious where the early adopters and ethusiasts fall in their scheme of things-- Dead Last.

You may be right, but there still isn't any proof. Personally, there are enough other irritants in my life that I'm not going to let myself get angry over an assumed slight by nokia. BUT, if I find out that compusa has these in stores before I get mine, with an order number of about 57210000, then I'll be right behind you handing you rotten tomatoes to throw.

DCForever
2005-11-30, 01:29
Well, I installed Abiword, GPE-Todo, GPE-Contacts, Bejewelled Clone, Tetris, and MaemoBlocks. I have been browsing the net for a bit on it. It is very nice although a bit slow. I don't know when we will get it in, but I have been told by someone if it is on order then it should be within a week, but who knows for sure.

gultig
2005-11-30, 01:34
I'm writing this post from the running 770 display @ the local Compusa. They definitely have (nokia) a good deal worked out cause the display is huge compared to how cramped together all the other tech toys are here.

Reggie
2005-11-30, 02:12
So, are they selling them already? Do they have stock?

Concrete Donkey
2005-11-30, 03:48
if they were selling them they'd be on their website as selling...

Mike Cane
2005-11-30, 14:15
Which CUSA? I don't have a Psychic GPS yet!

I'll be sure to hit CUSA this Friday. The same day I will again fondle an OQO (and a PSP!) at the NYC Wired Store (160 Wooster St, FYI). (Went there yesterday and was thwarted -- they aren't open Monday & Tuesday!)

If Nokia has favored CUSA over online sales, I still don't see any reason to gripe. The point of this exercise is to get it out there in as many hands as possible.

Die Palm Die.

Die PPC Die.

bigboote
2005-11-30, 17:04
Last night I called CompUSAs in Montlake Terrace and Kirkland, WA to find out their 770 status. There are no 770 displays up, but they're claimed to be on order and will arrive "next week", or "within a week or two", depending on who I asked.

Bummer about no displays - I was ready to drive over last night just so I could fondle one.

gultig
2005-11-30, 23:20
So, are they selling them already? Do they have stock?
Forgot to ask that important question. Too busy BSing with the rep about tech toys.

Which CUSA? I don't have a Psychic GPS yet!
Mike, calm the heck down man! :p I live in AZ, but cusa is everywhere.

I've thorougly enjoyed reading your posts regarding the palm (former T3 owner, former as in my wife won't give it back) on that palm site that you post alot to. I look forward to your attitude/take on 770 ownership.

And now for the money shot:
(I hope that worked)

Concrete Donkey
2005-11-30, 23:47
Forgot to ask that important question. Too busy BSing with the rep about tech toys.

Mike, calm the heck down man! :p I live in AZ, but cusa is everywhere.

I've thorougly enjoyed reading your posts regarding the palm (former T3 owner, former as in my wife won't give it back) on that palm site that you post alot to. I look forward to your attitude/take on 770 ownership.

And now for the money shot:
(I hope that worked)
*fap fap fap*

rgbyhkr
2005-11-30, 23:55
I got to see one on display at a CompUSA store here in Atlanta. It has a larger footprint then I imagined. The screen was great but their demo wasn't working properly (it was pulling an IP from the wireless AP in the store but couldn't browse any sites for some reason).

Nice little display they had prominently displaying the 770. However, putting it alongside 2 Nokia phones was a mistake IMO. I saw a couple of people go up and say something about it being a weird looking phone. It also doesn't help that the display model couldn't access the web.

Ah well, at least I finally got to hold one.

Jeff

gultig
2005-12-01, 01:32
I got to see one on display at a CompUSA store here in Atlanta. It has a larger footprint then I imagined. The screen was great but their demo wasn't working properly (it was pulling an IP from the wireless AP in the store but couldn't browse any sites for some reason).

Nice little display they had prominently displaying the 770. However, putting it alongside 2 Nokia phones was a mistake IMO. I saw a couple of people go up and say something about it being a weird looking phone. It also doesn't help that the display model couldn't access the web.

Ah well, at least I finally got to hold one.

Jeff

The one at my local cusa had the same issues, that is untill I set the cusa access point as default and connect on demand. For some reason , either the router or the 770 didn't like it any other way.

Someone from Nokia really should send out a document describing these steps. It's nice to be able to walk up to a display and everything just works. I even put a bookmark to ITT in it. (Was going to load it up with whatever was on my 770s rsmmc, but ran out of time.)

Mike Cane
2005-12-01, 13:21
I've already written about the 770 months ago. See http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2005/06/jkontherun_gues.html

I'll be hitting CUSA on Friday. Last night I went to the Wired Store to fondle the OQO -- and ran into a debut ball for the Nokia 6682 phone!

Thanks for that picture.

Reggie
2005-12-01, 13:36
How was the 6682 party Mike? Did you ever spot the Nokia 770 in there?

Mike Cane
2005-12-01, 13:52
Oh man! There was a 770 there?! I was too busy fondling the OQO (they got it running again) and trying WiFi on the PSP. Wish I had had more time -- for one, I would have grabbed more food and, before I left, had some wine. Oh, the burden of tech lust!

gultig
2005-12-01, 16:03
I've already written about the 770 months ago.I know. I think I read that review within hours of it's posting.

I look forward to your attitude/take on 770 ownership.Fondling here and there aint like buying the cow.
(Can't believe I'm sticking with that metaphor. :eek: )

Mike Cane
2005-12-01, 17:39
Missed that word.

Remote User
2005-12-01, 18:10
I was too busy fondling the OQO (they got it running again) and trying WiFi on the PSP.
OQO = $2,100 = OUCH!
I suggest that anyone who has not yet received their 770 yet ought to read about Microsoft's 7" mockup and enjoy the relief that they're not waiting until sometime in 2008 when the product 'might' hit the market.
http://www.handtops.com/show/news/93/0/New_Handtop_prototype_at_WinHEC_2005.html

RogerS
2005-12-01, 18:52
I suggest that anyone who has not yet received their 770 yet ought to read about Microsoft's 7" mockup and enjoy the relief that they're not waiting until sometime in 2008 when the product 'might' hit the market.
http://www.handtops.com/show/news/93/0/New_Handtop_prototype_at_WinHEC_2005.html
Looking at the screen in this photo --
http://www.handtops.com/news/msnew-1big.jpg
-- it looks like it'll be a nice device. Price "under $1000." Availability 2007? 2008?

Simon
2005-12-01, 18:56
Microsoft's 7" mockup and enjoy the relief that they're not waiting until sometime in 2008 when the product 'might' hit the market.
Goodness, I hope they don't actually call it the Microsoft 7 inch. For a product on the net that would be a really, really bad choice of name. Imagine all the 'I can't wait to get my hands on one' jokes :)

gultig
2005-12-01, 20:34
Could you imagine?

got me the strangest woman
believe me this trick's no cinch
but I really get her going
when I whip out my big 10 inch

record of a band that plays the blues
well a band that plays its blues
she just love my big 10 inch
record of her favorite blues

And this would be the guy to sell it...

Concrete Donkey
2005-12-01, 21:46
It's too big and bulky. Might consider it when it comes out, but things like those are usually slow, with little battery life, and lots of heat issues.

Hedgecore
2005-12-01, 21:54
:rolleyes: Is that an old Apple in the background?

anotherprod
2005-12-02, 20:19
I have been following the post about compusa carrying the 770
and I have been for the last two days asking the warehouse manager
to try and give me as much info as possible...after two days of this
and various stores called in the Sacramento area I was told a email was
sent to the warehouse managers stating that the were releasing them Sat or Sun...and behold they calle me stating that it call in today and they would hold one (3 in stock )...Im leaving the store now with one in
hand.....so they are in and selling them....

Concrete Donkey
2005-12-02, 21:04
i called my nearby CompUSA but they say they still don't have them...

DCForever
2005-12-03, 01:56
Hey all, this will probably tick a bunch of you off, but I just got my Nokia 770 at CompUSA today. It was supposed to be in yesterday or Wednesday, but the weather is messing up delivery times over here in northwest. I can't wait to develop some cool apps.
Also the Nokia 770 will be in next weeks ad in the paper.

skynetos
2005-12-03, 01:58
yeah I called my compusa they dont have them yet either.. I think maybe it will come in tomorrow! I hope so anyways :)

if so.. Ill grab it, cancel my Nokia order... and move on with life!

anotherprod
2005-12-03, 02:28
I know it sounds crazy but I ordered one from nokia early in Nov
but after waiting a couple of weeks concelled my order..but kept
comming to this site hopefully with good news on maybe some new
release info..and came across the info about compusa possiby carry them
and from there contacted various warehouse managers whom kept me in
the loop...They do have a promotional ad droping Sun..so if you tired of waiting
for nokia you will have another option Compusa

batmanuel
2005-12-03, 06:15
I checked CompUSA in Richmond... they looked at me like I had two heads, then told me they don't sell a single thing with linux (I was tempted to look around... perhaps near the FARKING MACS (ok, BSD)), how linux is not popular enough since "only like 2% of people use it" but the next release is supposed to be good... then he asked if it was perhaps running CE, and I was sure it wasn't a phone?

omg. i can't wait until they have a display so i can lead him to it by his labbrette and rub his face in it like a bad dog. I mean, when someone comes in and lists of the manufacturer and model number and isn't interested in anything else... maybe you should not trash that "linux" that it runs!

Sorry, had to get that out. None in richmond yet, sad to say.

Fliptrx
2005-12-03, 20:10
I keep telling myself I can wait for Nokia...I can, I can, but you guys aren't helping me much.
That 50 bucks I'll save will be much better spent on a couple of new games for my PSP :)

kessdaman
2005-12-03, 21:09
Went into CompUSA in Cincinnati, OH(Tri-County), ask the person in the phone section if they had the 770, he said they just received a shipment of something from Nokia on Friday. Lo and behold in my hand at home is the 770. They did not promote, because the person in the store had no idea what it was. Online now cancelled, I ordered on the 14th, hope someone else moves up. :)

It's pretty obvious that they blew off online orders for the retailers, bad practice. :mad:

Frumious
2005-12-06, 18:45
I got the last one at my Local Compusa, since I wanted it before Christmas. The sales guy was a bit odd - he kept trying to get me to spend $65 on a protection plan in case I dropped it and said that this was 'new technology' from Nokia. I had to say no about 5 times. Spifs are fun, but annoying to customers.

Anyway, the box was in the back of the store somewhere and it took him a while to track down - and was a bit beat up - and he took great pains to point out to me that it was factory sealed with a sticker (actually two). I felt compelled to check it out in the car before leaving the parking lot and found that all the pieces were in it, but jumbled around, and the 'sealed' sticker easily came on and off. The screen of the unit itself had dust on it, which has never been true of any other 'factory sealed' device I've purchased.

The plan seems clear - sell only through CompUSA until Jan6th, then ship online orders. CompUSA's post-xmas return date is Jan 7th, which aligns nicely with the online ship date (if you're CompUSA).

coldfused
2005-12-06, 19:22
I picked one up at CompUSA in Charlotte yesterday. I cancelled my online order from Nov. 14. If I didn't want this thing so bad, I'd tell Nokia where they could stick it. I will take all the trouble in getting a 770 into consideration the next time I decide to buy a cell phone.

I actually had a hard time getting a 770 at CUSA. I looked all over the store and finally found it behind a counter where they display phones, PDAs, portable DVD players and cameras. It was locked up in a case and it looked like that had 2 units. It took me about 30 minutes to get it (even after I found it), because the guy behind the counter was helping someone trying to decide on the "best digital camera." When he finally got to me, I pointed out what I wanted and then he tried to sell me phone service to go on the 770. :eek: I told the guy it wasn't a phone and that it was a tablet computer. He asked me if it ran Windows XP. So much for educating the sales staff.

I'm happy that I finally got it, but I will say that I see this thing selling for under $300 in the very near future. I figure after Christmas you'll start seeing it with a $50 Nokia mail-in-rebate and maybe a $50 store mail-in-rebate (getting the price around $250).

One other thing...as stated in a previous post, the box had been opened before I got it. I opened it in my car, because it was actually rattling around a lot. I noticed that there were 2 stickers sealing the box. The battery was outside the sealed plastic bag that was supposed to be in; floating around the box along with the memory and stylus. There was a lot of dust on the power adapter and on the unit itself. I've never seen dust on a sealed product before. There was also a fingerprint on the screen and the back of the case (black part of the 770 not the silver cover) had a few scrapes on it. I also noticed something very strange about the little pouch that comes with the unit. It appeared that where the corners of the unit touched the pouch that it had actually rubbed holes through the bag. I have no idea how this could happen. The unit was in perfect working order with one stuck pixel and the latest OS update. No big deal, but really odd.

I hope that everyone that ordered from Nokia gets theirs by Christmas, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cheers

bradb
2005-12-06, 20:31
The sales guy was a bit odd - he kept trying to get me to spend $65 on a protection plan in case I dropped it and said that this was 'new technology' from Nokia. I had to say no about 5 times. Spifs are fun, but annoying to customers.

Mine too. My girlfriend suggested it was how the sales people made commission (since I watched people buying the TAP and then telling the clerk their initials - it was obvious something was being tracked).

rgbyhkr
2005-12-06, 21:12
Mine too. My girlfriend suggested it was how the sales people made commission (since I watched people buying the TAP and then telling the clerk their initials - it was obvious something was being tracked).

Well, there is one nice thing about CompUSA's TAP plans. They are replacement plans, not standard extended warranty plans. Meaning, that if something is wrong with the unit, they replace it. Oh, and you don't have to get the same exact model. You get an in-store credit that has to be used the same day.

I've had TAPs on every iPod since the first gen. Due to battery problems that persist with every generation and one HDD failure, I've used the TAP multiple times. Each time, I wound up getting the latest generation unit. The first time it was just by chance that the new ones were out when the battery was giving me only a couple of hours of use. After finding out how the TAPs worked that time around, I waitied to use the TAP until new models were out when the battery life issues popped up again. Well worth it in my opinion.

Jeff