PDA

View Full Version : Solio

sondjata
2007-03-13, 01:17
Let as all pause and give thanks to Nokia for using a "non-Nokia standard" plug. Because of this, I cannot plug my N800 into my Solio Solar power charger. Oh if it could charge via the USB port it would work. But noooooo. So I can charge my wrist PDA, iPOD and cell phone but not the actual device I wanted to use it with. So NOW I gotto go buy the 10 dollar (plus shipping) Nokia CA-44 Charger Adaptor, so I can use it. Thanks... maybe I can find one of those things at a COMPUSA for cheap. ;-)

SeRi@lDiE
2007-03-13, 05:06
Nokia sells a small converter.
I own one that came with my Nokia cell phone.

Karel Jansens
2007-03-13, 11:16
Let as all pause and give thanks to Nokia for using a "non-Nokia standard" plug. Because of this, I cannot plug my N800 into my Solio Solar power charger. Oh if it could charge via the USB port it would work. But noooooo. So I can charge my wrist PDA, iPOD and cell phone but not the actual device I wanted to use it with. So NOW I gotto go buy the 10 dollar (plus shipping) Nokia CA-44 Charger Adaptor, so I can use it. Thanks... maybe I can find one of those things at a COMPUSA for cheap. ;-)

<ranting_mode>
It is a standard Nokia plug, just not the old standard Nokia plug. It's been around since before the 770 in 2005, so you might just as well ask why Solio doesn't provide an adapter?
</ranting_mode>

<trying_to_be_helpful_mode>
Many generic AC phone chargers come with their equivalent of the CA-44 adapter (mine did), so if you're in the market for one of those, you might save yourself a buck or some.
</trying_to_be_helpful_mode>

sondjata
2007-03-13, 13:04
Thanks. Probably will head to thhe phone store today. This reminds me of the sony switch to smaller batteries in their camcorders instantly obsoleting my large 8 hour battery.

well maybe i can blame solio. works great though. charged wrist pda and iPod and still 3/4 charged. i feel so enviro friendly.

joeinternet
2007-03-13, 13:27
Solio sells various tips for different devices. They just don't include the small Nokia connector with their bundle. I just picked up a Solio charger as well as one of these from Solio directly:

Nokia Connector Tip (small round) (434-S1-NNK)
http://www.solio.com/v2/shop/shop2_details.php?product=161

It works fine.

sondjata
2007-03-13, 13:49
Yes but scince i went to a brick and mortar, i expected to have what i needed in the box. GoT 20 bucks off too. Still if they knew about the change they should have included it.

FrogT
2007-03-13, 19:09
I'd be interested to know how you get on with the solio + N800. I used a solio and nokia 9500 hiking in Patagonia this summer for two months and the combination was excellent. It looks like the N800 would use more power, though, so I wonder just how much use would be possible with the solio...

sapporobaby
2007-03-13, 20:48
I'd be interested to know how you get on with the solio + N800. I used a solio and nokia 9500 hiking in Patagonia this summer for two months and the combination was excellent. It looks like the N800 would use more power, though, so I wonder just how much use would be possible with the solio...

I have been posting here about the virtues of Solio for about 3 weeks. It is great. Works just fine with my N800, iPod, GPS, practically anything else that needs a charge. The guys there are great as well. I know the marketing director and CEO, and if you have any questions, they will be happy to help out. Check out the case for the Solio, it is pretty slick.

sapporobaby
2007-03-14, 06:56
Yes but scince i went to a brick and mortar, i expected to have what i needed in the box. GoT 20 bucks off too. Still if they knew about the change they should have included it.

By the way, I spoke with Chris from Solio and they changed a few of the older tips that originally came with it. They dumped the old SE tips and now have the new fastport connectors, so the Nokia tips (not a need for you now) may be included in the near future.

sondjata
2007-03-26, 18:53
Got my tip for the N800. Works well. It pushes enough juice to charge the device while it's being used (or left idling). This is a big deal since I have found that that Solio does not reliably charge all devices and on some does not push enough juice to activate a charge cycle (creative Zen) The one thing with the Solio is that it's battery is too small to charge a number of devices from a single recharge. My iPod sucked down half the battery. it would be nice to be able to slip a battery in and out of the Solio without the use of a screwdriver. Overall a nice usefull product which is making me consider something with more charge capacity, but for the Nokia N800 this is like having another battery in reserve and you may never use the "real" charger again..well unless you have a cloudy day... ;-)

sondjata
2007-06-28, 01:16
Back from my road trip. Solio worked like a Champ. MaemoMapper went south at one point and sucked up half my battery power. PLugged up the Solio and got my full charge back. Very nice (and rescued my tail).

Also today I accidentaly undercharged my iPod and had only half battery life (4 hours). Hooked in the solio and the sun was strong enough to run the iPod for almost 10 hours (on and off sun). Excellent product!!

FrogT
2008-05-17, 14:12
I'd like to buy a tip for my N810, but not sure where I can get one from in the UK. Any ideas? I think the part number is 434-S1-NNK , but I've googled around and can't find anyone who sells them...

FrogT
2008-05-17, 14:18
Aha - looks like it's possible to order tips from the Solio US site for the UK - nice one Solio!