PDA

View Full Version : Cingular and data connect

alec
2007-03-20, 17:17
First off: Has anyone been able to connect to the internet over a Motorola Razr v3(the original Razr) without a data plan?
I tried everything there is about setting the BT connection and my phone sees the N800 and the other way aroung, the problem is connecting to the internet. So I asume that I need to have a data plan with Cingular in order to get a connection. Can anyone confirm that?
Also, if someone is using Cingular with their N800 out there, can you please advise as to the quality of the connection and if it is worth purchasing a data plan.

Thanks
Alec

brendan
2007-03-20, 17:54
there is a how-to on how to connect to cingular with your IT device. see this link...

http://www.tabletcorner.com/nokia770/guides/razr.html

as for the quality, i couldnt say. i havent tried the connection yet, but do want to give it a try. if you do not have a data plan, you will be charged a ton of money for usage, based on how much you transmit and receive. also note that some providers charge differently for internet on the phone vs. internet on a tethered device. you may want to ask a few questions concerning that.

michaelalanjones
2007-03-20, 19:13
If you intend to do this, simply call Cingular and tell them you want to try the data plan for one month. It will cost you $20 to find out if you like this.

If you do not do this, then you will quickly run up a metered phone bill, (it used to be 8 cents per KB; it is probably more now). 8 cents? Think that's cheap, eh? I downloaded the news once and it was 8 MB. What is that? 8000 KB? 1000 x 8 cents = 80 bucks!

Before you know, it, you will have a $100-$200 phone bill. Just a warning.

alec
2007-03-20, 20:12
Damn, that's expensive. I will call those suckers up, before trying this.
thanks for the warning.
Alec

alec
2007-03-20, 20:12
Brendan,

Thanks for the info dude, I hope it will work with N800

Alec

Texrat
2007-03-20, 20:37
I use Cingular GPRS, and it's a little slow, but very reliable for me.

nef919
2007-03-20, 20:44
I have and use 2 different cingular phones with my n800. I use the 8525 and once the 3g actually connects, it is sweet. I also use the Blackberry 8800. This only runs EDGE, but oddly enough will be as fast as the 3g. I think it has to do with how long it takes the 3g device to connect to the network. Depending on what I need to do is what device I will use to connect with. If I need to transfer large files, then the 8525 fo dure. If it's just casual browsing or such, then the 8800 meets the need.

rickh
2007-03-20, 21:42
I have and use 2 different cingular phones with my n800. I use the 8525 and once the 3g actually connects, it is sweet. I also use the Blackberry 8800. This only runs EDGE, but oddly enough will be as fast as the 3g. I think it has to do with how long it takes the 3g device to connect to the network. Depending on what I need to do is what device I will use to connect with. If I need to transfer large files, then the 8525 fo dure. If it's just casual browsing or such, then the 8800 meets the need.
Out of curiosity, how did you get your Blackberry 8800 to work? I have a Pearl and while I can pair the device fine with the N800, it will not act as a modem. I'd love to be able to use EDGE, instead of GPRS, which is what I currently am doing with a RAZR (same sim card used in the Pearl) until I can get it figured out with the Pearl.

GPRS is really slow I think.

R.
==

nef919
2007-03-20, 21:49
I just went through the setup as normal. The pearl will not work afaik. I did try it, but it does not support modem-dial through. Pin me if you have any questions.

roberc567
2007-03-21, 00:30
Regarding michaelalanjones post:

1. The "metered" pay-as-you go data "plan" at Cingular is actually US$0.01/KB.

So, yes, if you you pay as you go, and just surf the net as you would typically (ie watching Web videos, downloading large files, etc), it'll be a bundle.

2. But if you are frugal and take appropriate actions while you are relying on the metered connection - don't watch streaming videos, turn off pictures in the browswer, and essentially just download text info content, you can do well (and have a speedy connection).

Check out this thread:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5190

and in particular this post by TA-t3:

"Turn off the image loading in Opera and you're a long way already
I read the Palm version of Slashdot most days through GPRS, and one day's worth of /. takes only about 50-100k. I keep images off (or only already retrieved images) too, just in case I go off-site following the occasional link. And I use privoxy as well, to be sure. And I keep a browser window with gmail permanently up and running (it doesn't matter if you change network between wi-fi or bt now and then), this makes it possible to check mail with only a few tens of kbytes as well. All very useful when using GPRS without a data plan (i.e. I have to pay as I go). And it makes GPRS fast enough too."

I don't have firsthand experience connecting the N800 to Cingular (but I have Cingular now and plan to buy the N800 soon). Of course, 99% of the time my surfing will be with an unlimited WiFI connection, so I'll be enjoying the full multi-media experience -- but for that other 1% of the time, when I'm in a pinch, I plan to connect via Cingular/Bluetooth, using exactly TA-t3's suggestions. :)

roberc567
2007-03-21, 00:35
Regarding michaelalanjones post:

1. The "metered" pay-as-you go data "plan" at Cingular is actually US$0.01/KB.

So, yes, if you you pay as you go, and just surf the net as you would typically (ie watching Web videos, downloading large files, etc), it'll be a bundle.

2. But if you are frugal and take appropriate actions while you are relying on the metered connection - don't watch streaming videos, turn off pictures in the browswer, and essentially just download text info content, you can do well (and have a speedy connection).

Check out this thread:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5190

and in particular this post by TA-t3:

"Turn off the image loading in Opera and you're a long way already
I read the Palm version of Slashdot most days through GPRS, and one day's worth of /. takes only about 50-100k. I keep images off (or only already retrieved images) too, just in case I go off-site following the occasional link. And I use privoxy as well, to be sure. And I keep a browser window with gmail permanently up and running (it doesn't matter if you change network between wi-fi or bt now and then), this makes it possible to check mail with only a few tens of kbytes as well. All very useful when using GPRS without a data plan (i.e. I have to pay as I go). And it makes GPRS fast enough too."

I don't have firsthand experience connecting the N800 to Cingular (but I have Cingular now and plan to buy the N800 soon). Of course, 99% of the time my surfing will be with an unlimited WiFI connection, so I'll be enjoying the full multi-media experience -- but for that other 1% of the time, when I'm in a pinch, I plan to connect via Cingular/Bluetooth, using exactly TA-t3's suggestions. :)