PDA

View Full Version : Strange change in USB Connection Behavior

abarrow
2007-03-22, 14:43
Does anyone know how the N800 interacts with a Windows XP machine when the they are plugged together via USB?

Here's what happened:

When I first got my "virgin" N800, I could connect it to a Windows PC via USB and the PC would give the little popup announcement that something had been connected, sound the little alert, and then after sulking a while, show a couple of extra drives as available on My Computer.

This was the behavior right up to the point that I installed ssh server and subsequently Gnumeric spreadsheet (along with all the libs and other stuff it wanted). I had to do the install as root via dpkg, so I could see what dependencies it was missing.

So, now ssh works fine, Gnumeric works fine. All the other stuff I installed prior to that also works. But when I connect now to my Windows PC via USB I get the little sound alert, then nothing. I can go on via the shell and deliberately connect to the drives (H: or ... whatever), but they never show up in My Computer as a drive. I can't seem to force them to show up, either.

As much as anything else, it's an annoyance, as I would like to be able to drag and drop files to my N800 but I can't, I have to copy via command line.

Sorry for the long story, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, or might shed some light on what causes this behavior.

Mika73
2007-03-22, 15:07
Have you add any drives or memorycard reader etc to to your PC after you first tryed N800 and it did work?

Is sometimes happend for me that when memorycard reader is plug in, I cant see my Garmin GPS drives at My Computer.

luketoh
2007-03-22, 16:47
Also, did you connect any new device to the PC? Or are you using a Hub? Try connecting direct to the PC....or if possible try connecting to another PC...that would help you isolate the problem whether it's the N800 or the PC.