PDA

View Full Version : simple launcher -- one click launcher for your applications :)

MishaS
2007-03-24, 11:49
I wrote a home applet for Nokia N800 that allows you to run your favourite applications with just one click :)

You can download it from 'Files' section at garage project page: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=131

After you installed the applet, you need to open home application menu, click on 'Select applets...', click on checkbox next to 'Simple Launcher', and press 'OK'. You will be put into 'Edit Layout' mode where you can select the location and the size of the applet. After you are happy with with the settings, click on green checkbox button at the top right corner. Now you can configure the applet: open the menu, select 'Applet settings', and choose 'Launcher settings...'. In the dialog you should now see, you can select the applications you want to use as well as order them according to your preferences. When you are done, press 'OK'.

Known limitations:
there's no infobanner when the application is started
the application is not brought up in front, if it's already started
if the application does not support d-bus activation, you cannot select it (this will be fixed soon)

Thanks

YoDude
2007-03-24, 12:33
I wrote a home applet for Nokia N800 that allows you to run your favourite applications with just one click :)

You can download it from 'Files' section at garage project page: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=131

After you installed the applet, you need to open home application menu, click on 'Select applets...', click on checkbox next to 'Simple Launcher', and press 'OK'. You will be put into 'Edit Layout' mode where you can select the location and the size of the applet. After you are happy with with the settings, click on green checkbox button at the top right corner. Now you can configure the applet: open the menu, select 'Applet settings', and choose 'Launcher settings...'. In the dialog you should now see, you can select the applications you want to use as well as order them according to your preferences. When you are done, press 'OK'.

Known limitations:
there's no infobanner when the application is started
the application is not brought up in front, if it's already started
if the application does not support d-bus activation, you cannot select it (this will be fixed soon)

Thanks

Oh, I'm so diggin' this. Good work Misha!

http://files.myopera.com/yodude/blog/launch%20app.png

Now if I can only open multiple, editable instances of the web launcher we could have a home screen with one tap, simple access to everything...

Thanks again MishaS

Edit = Added screenshot and corrected speeeling. :)

n800user
2007-03-24, 12:36
very nice app, to be perfect only needs to have a transparent background

Tabster
2007-03-24, 12:58
It is working very well for me too. thx for making this.

I would also suggest improvements to the GUI. Transparent / semi-transparent / choice of colour / rounded corners. just things to make it look better.

cryos
2007-03-24, 14:06
This is a must-have IMHO. Veeeeeery useful. Thank you MishaS! :)

markku
2007-03-24, 15:16
I think this is the best thing that's happened in desktop development, this is really useful! Thank you!

Tabster
2007-03-24, 15:26
...Edit = Added screenshot and corrected speeeling. :)

OT: how did you get the StatusBarClock to have white text?

MishaS
2007-03-24, 16:14
Edit = Added screenshot and corrected speeeling. :)
Can I use your screenshot on my very basic web site? :)

rickh
2007-03-24, 17:18
Very nice!

I'll echo Tabster's thoughts on changing color/transparency, etc.

R.
==

YoDude
2007-03-24, 22:23
Making it transparent vis a vie the weather app in my above screen shot. would require a bunch more duplicate code I would think. Perhaps it should (and eventually will)be an option across the whole enviroment via display settings or some such.

johsua
2007-03-25, 00:00
nice app! is there any way to get the bluetooth control panel app on there? it'll make it a little easier to deal with nokia's way of pairing...

MishaS
2007-03-25, 09:17
nice app! is there any way to get the bluetooth control panel app on there? it'll make it a little easier to deal with nokia's way of pairing...
Unfortunately, not. But I put it into my todo list.

Karel Jansens
2007-03-25, 16:34
Unfortunately, not. But I put it into my todo list.

that would be neat! I'd use it just for that one feature.

Olof
2007-03-25, 19:22
Very nice! :)

Works perfectly on my N800.

Could you add a way to increase the icon size?

TA-t3
2007-03-26, 10:06
@Misha: This is the best app. since Maemo Mapper. :)
Excellent!

fpp
2007-03-26, 12:50
Sounds nice. I don't know if you had the idea on your own, but there was an entire thread here last year about what such an app could do and how it should look like. Have you seen it ?

Only at the time it was supposed to be for the 770... I'd still like to try it out if you can make it backward-compatible !

maxilogan
2007-03-26, 14:18
I'd still like to try it out if you can make it backward-compatible !

I absolutely second this: I have a 770 but this is a killer app!

Gluz
2007-03-26, 15:43
OT: how did you get the StatusBarClock to have white text?

Sorry about offtopic, but how do you get status bar clock to work? I installed it but nothing happens... does it work on N800?

Launcher looks good too, will install it right away :)

heavyt
2007-03-26, 16:03
Sorry about offtopic, but how do you get status bar clock to work? I installed it but nothing happens... does it work on N800?

Launcher looks good too, will install it right away :)
Go to your control panel there select navigation then status bar.

It like an Easter Egg hunt. :(

Karel Jansens
2007-03-26, 16:10

Yes? And what am I supposed to find there?

Me too, but there has to be something to find. Is this a new firmware thing?

MishaS
2007-03-26, 16:19
Sounds nice. I don't know if you had the idea on your own, but there was an entire thread here last year about what such an app could do and how it should look like. Have you seen it ?
No, I have not. I believe it's quite common for pocket devices... And I'm kinda lazy with all those clicks :) I'll need to check that thread out though.

Only at the time it was supposed to be for the 770... I'd still like to try it out if you can make it backward-compatible !
I just need to find my 770 :) I do not use any of the 'advanced' features Hildon offers and I believe that the interface for home applets is the same, so the same code should work.

heavyt
2007-03-26, 16:24

Me too, but there has to be something to find. Is this a new firmware thing?

Maybe we are on different pages. If you were trying to get statusbar clock in your statusbar do those steps and you should find the clock listed.

The "Easter egg hunt" statement refers to how hard it is to find the option for the statusbar clock.

You have to install the statusbar clock first before you have the option to display it.

TA-t3
2007-03-26, 16:39
I too can't find a clock in that place..

lucky-luke
2007-03-26, 16:41
I have a 770 and runs smoothly...
Thanks
Another possible improvement would be the possibility to use 2 or 3 or more click launcher applets at the same time....

Gluz
2007-03-26, 17:06

Aah...thanks :) I tried control panel earlier, but couldn't find it :)

wodin
2007-03-26, 17:22

Me too, but there has to be something to find. Is this a new firmware thing?You have to download the app from here (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/statusbar-clock) and install it first. Then it will show up in the Navagation screen.

Karel Jansens
2007-03-26, 18:01
You have to download the app from here (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/statusbar-clock) and install it first. Then it will show up in the Navagation screen.

Ooohhh... :rolleyes:

NokNok770
2007-03-26, 18:11
[QUOTE=Karel Jansens;41142]Yes? And what am I supposed to find there?[quote]

If you had install the status bar clock on the n800 and it's not showing up. You click on control panel>navigation, then the status bar tab. There you can check the box on "statusbarclock" to have it shown on the status bar. You can also rearange the statusbar icons by selecting it and moving it up and down the list.

luketoh
2007-03-26, 18:18
scummvm appeared as the 1st item on my list, however, i cannot tick that box. Also, the last checkbox (bottom of the list) appears without a name and also cannot be ticked.

YoDude
2007-03-26, 21:53
scummvm appeared as the 1st item on my list, however, i cannot tick that box. Also, the last checkbox (bottom of the list) appears without a name and also cannot be ticked.

I would think it's about time to search the board for your answer or start a new thread instead of crapping here. http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/sprachlos020.gif

Thanks again MishaS for this very useful applet. http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/ernaehrung004.gif

Tabster
2007-03-27, 02:41
it looks like solid gold code had plans for something similar for the 770 but nothing was released.

http://solid.gold.code.googlepages.com/quick.launch

THX1138
2007-03-27, 05:15
Thank you Misha, it works great so far!

luketoh
2007-03-27, 07:14
I would think it's about time to search the board for your answer or start a new thread instead of crapping here. http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/sprachlos020.gif

Thanks again MishaS for this very useful applet. http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/ernaehrung004.gif

Hi YoDude,

Oh, so this thread is for praises only? You mean I cannot post problems/bugs that I encountered with the One Click Launcher here? I would have thought that since the author of the software started this thread, that he/she would want to see feedback (or what you term as "crap", which I feel you are being very rude).

BTW, who made you the king of this thread eh?

Luke

YoDude
2007-03-27, 11:06
Hi YoDude,

Oh, so this thread is for praises only? You mean I cannot post problems/bugs that I encountered with the One Click Launcher here? I would have thought that since the author of the software started this thread, that he/she would want to see feedback (or what you term as "crap", which I feel you are being very rude).

Luke

Sorry if you felt I was rude. I tried not to be. Thread crap is a common forum term for re-directing a thread by posting off topic questions.

I was following this thread on this new application and when I returned to it I found that it had veared toward explaning the workings of the statusbar clock and the Control Panel Applets.

This is something that has been covered in other threads and your post came right in the middle of that off topic banter. At first read it looked to be another redirect about scummvm. If this was not the case, I appologize.

My reply was not about ego, it was about keeping this board as a useful reference tool for all.

So in that light, where are you seeing this "list"...
...?

In "Control Panel > Navigation > Status bar"
or;
in "Home > Applet settings > Launcher settings"

Clay
2007-03-27, 14:02
Hi YoDude,

Luke

Luke - I have the same issue. There is one app I want to add to the launcher bar -- the hp42 calculator -- and there is a check box for it in the launcher settings, but tapping doesn't make the box change to being 'checked'. Every other app I have wanted to add to the bar, the check box works fine. I also have your issue with blank lines that have only check boxes -- no text.

Other than that, the launcher works great [there, maybe that last bit will keep the thread cops at bay...]

rickh
2007-03-27, 14:08
So in that light, where are you seeing this "list"...

...?

In "Control Panel > Navigation > Status bar"
or;
in "Home > Applet settings > Launcher settings"
I quite clearly understood that he meant Applet settings > Launcher settings, considering that's what this thread is about. As far as I know, you CAN'T put normal applications in the status bar.

His post was not offtopic at all.

R.
==

Karel Jansens
2007-03-27, 14:11
Misha, this is an amazing little gem of an app, and might very well once be looked upon as one of the cornerstones of the Nokia UMPC platform (unless penguinbait gets KDE polished off, that is).

Just one question: Is there any method in why certain apps refuse to let them be selected for the launchbar?

And -- well, just two questions then -- do you think it will be possible to get control elements, like the Bluetooth icon, in the bar? That would make it even more awesome.

Also -- three!! questions. This is rapidly turning into the Spanish Inquisition -- a minor nitpick: Is it possible to make the arrows (for moving icons) repetitive, so that the user doesn't have to click and click again? I have a lot of stuff loaded on my Numpc. :cool:

But, like I said: amazing!

YoDude
2007-03-27, 22:44
I quite clearly understood that he meant Applet settings > Launcher settings, considering that's what this thread is about. As far as I know, you CAN'T put normal applications in the status bar.

His post was not offtopic at all.

R.
==

I realized that and appologized...

Other than that, the launcher works great [there, maybe that last bit will keep the thread cops at bay...

Yeeesh, tough crowd. :)

To maybe shed some more light. I also had the blank space but after auditing my apps I found that all were their so I assumed the space represented the app itself showing up in whatever log it uses for the device inventory. The only app that could be checked but doesn't show up on the Launcher Bar, is Minimo. This is also the only app that I have that is still in development and not completly hildonized.

Any app that came from Nokia seems to be there, is selectable, and shows up on the applets home screen launcher.

Is there anybody with more than 1 blank line?
What other apps besides;

scummvm
hp42 calculator
Minimo (is selectable, but doesn't show itself on the launcher bar.)

...are showing up in the list but are not selectable? Maybe there is some common ground here.

BTW, Miniimo also does not show an icon in "Launcher Settings"

luketoh
2007-03-28, 03:03
Hi YoDude,

I understand where you're coming from and I'm glad you understand mine as well.

As for the software, it's good. Those were the only bugs that I could find so far. The author did mention about this limitation

Do you think that is the reason for the blank text and some programs being unselectable?

Luke

Clay
2007-03-28, 04:14
Is there anybody with more than 1 blank line?
What other apps besides;

scummvm
hp42 calculator
Minimo (is selectable, but doesn't show itself on the launcher bar.)

...are showing up in the list but are not selectable? Maybe there is some common ground here.

I have two blank lines. Also, for me, the app 'password safe' shows up in the list but is not selectable.

TA-t3
2007-03-28, 10:27
Aahh.. I too wanted to add the hp42 calculator and it couldn't be ticked (as reported by Clay above).

Adam_n800
2007-03-28, 11:26
This works fine on my n800 with latest firmware, although I have one major issue with the usablity of it.

The toolbar doesn't seem to be fully resizable in "edit layout" mode, you can just make it shorter or longer, but this just makes the shortcuts tiny.

MishaS
2007-03-28, 11:50
The toolbar doesn't seem to be fully resizable in "edit layout" mode, you can just make it shorter or longer, but this just makes the shortcuts tiny.
What would be your proposal? :)

luketoh
2007-03-28, 12:34
Hi Misha,

I think Adam is proposing to be able to expand it heightwise and allow more rows as well.

So theoretically, if your applet was the only applet used, and expanded fully, with transparent background, then it would be as if putting shortcuts on the desktop!

Luke

dub
2007-03-28, 23:17
Thanks allot for this applet. Great addition to my IT

YoDude
2007-03-28, 23:18
Hi YoDude,

I understand where you're coming from and I'm glad you understand mine as well.

As for the software, it's good. Those were the only bugs that I could find so far. The author did mention about this limitation

Do you think that is the reason for the blank text and some programs being unselectable?

Luke

http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/ernaehrung004.gif

It was a rough day dealing with inconsistent input from various sources at work. After chasing false leads for 9 hrs the solution was simple and was my first instinct in the first hour anyway... before all the "helpful" input.

I must have transferred my angst to my post.
Again, my humble apologies. :o

In any event MishaS has corrected most of these bugs in a new release >> https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=131

Since he has also opened a new thread for problems >> http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5511

I figured we could continue to use this thread for praise and other insights. :cool:

Did I say WOW! The new release adds support for much more and things like "Connection Manager" and "Bookmarks" can now be launched from the app.

It occured to me that we now have no need at all for the Maemo launcher with the globe, two dudes, and the files icons.

I wonder how hard it would be to hack this out and reclaim the screen real estate?

luketoh
2007-03-29, 06:19
Hi YoDude,

Yeah, I was thinking, if he made the software have a transparent background, and be able to scale the applet so that it could expand width AND heightwise so that more icons (more rows, more colums), then it could possibly be like on a PC desktop where we had shortcuts to most of the needed apps.

Luke

munky261
2007-04-08, 08:09
ok i have a dumb question , by making it transparent does that mean the white bix wont be there , just the icons basically?

luketoh
2007-04-08, 09:00
Hi Munky261,

Yup, just the icons would appear. The background would be whatever you have on your desktop's background. Something like your PC's Windows Desktop....

Luke

Tabster
2007-04-08, 15:57
that is what we would want re transparent. but the launcher is a row of buttons. and these buttons have a system size and system colour I believe. so to make it how we want might be hard to do http://maxthon.cafedeux.com/smilies/unhappy.gif
but I hope the Simple Launcher developer can figure it out http://maxthon.cafedeux.com/smilies/smile.gif

luketoh
2007-04-08, 18:17
The only way I can think of is that the launcher uses transparent gifs. That means, we may have to assign our own icons instead of using the ones that came with the original software.

Luke

MishaS
2007-04-09, 07:39
Actually, I almost have a version with trasnparent background. The only missing thing (and that's the reason why new release is not available yet) is its configurability: I'm sure some users would prefer to have it non-transparent. As soon as I implement it (it does require some time :)), the new version will be released.

On a related note, different icon size also requires configurability... :)

mupper
2007-04-09, 09:00
Actually, I almost have a version with trasnparent background. The only missing thing (and that's the reason why new release is not available yet) is its configurability: I'm sure some users would prefer to have it non-transparent. As soon as I implement it (it does require some time :)), the new version will be released.

On a related note, different icon size also requires configurability... :)

Give us 2 different Versions. One without Background and one with the transparent one ;-)

luketoh
2007-04-09, 09:13
Hi Mishas,

Perhaps you could release a version that solves the bug of the main screen going white first? :)

Luke

MishaS
2007-04-09, 09:20
Perhaps you could release a version that solves the bug of the main screen going white first? :)
That one is a tricky one :( I checked (briefly) with maemo-af-desktop author and we agreed that without further investigation it's not clear whether it's a bug in simple-launcher or in maemo-af-desktop. On the other hand, chances for a new version of simple-launcher to be available sooner than later are much higher than for maemo-af-desktop :) So I'll probably to write a work around in simple-launcher anyway.

YoDude
2007-04-09, 11:23
That one is a tricky one :( I checked (briefly) with maemo-af-desktop author and we agreed that without further investigation it's not clear whether it's a bug in simple-launcher or in maemo-af-desktop. On the other hand, chances for a new version of simple-launcher to be available sooner than later are much higher than for maemo-af-desktop :) So I'll probably to write a work around in simple-launcher anyway.

For now ^that may be the "most/best" way to go about it as the original img is still retained and only requires a refresh...

Thanks again, BTW. :)

luketoh
2007-04-09, 13:14
Hi Mishas,

I think if the white background issue could be fixed, for now, that would make it good enough. :) Thanks for the excellent and hard work!

Luke

Tabster
2007-04-09, 14:54
looking forward to the new version http://maxthon.cafedeux.com/smilies/thumbsup.gif

nspeer
2007-04-12, 05:00
Hi Mishas,

I think if the white background issue could be fixed, for now, that would make it good enough. :) Thanks for the excellent and hard work!

Luke

Agreed! Can't wait. Good work. Thanks.

MishaS
2007-04-16, 10:17
It seems that now I have a competitor :) Please try https://garage.maemo.org/projects/idea/

Karel Jansens
2007-04-16, 11:52
It seems that now I have a competitor :) Please try https://garage.maemo.org/projects/idea/

Well -- yes and no. I still like your solution for its economy on screen realestate. It seems that Idea will claim so much desktop that I can't keep the "old" desktop applets I find useful (GPE Summary, Internet Radio, FM Radio, Canola's app and Internet Home Page).

The only way Simple Launcher could be improved (for me, that is) if it offered the choice to substitute the icons for user-defined (short) text labels, maybe with the option to have two rows of text buttons.

markku
2007-04-16, 12:12
Well not truly a competitor, configuration is painful and too complicate. Still good start, transparent background and font size/color choose.

luketoh
2007-04-16, 12:12
Hi Karel,

I think as long as we can choose our own icons & size, we could simply create icons that are text graphics as a work around too.

Karel Jansens
2007-04-16, 12:18
Hi Karel,

I think as long as we can choose our own icons & size, we could simply create icons that are text graphics as a work around too.

Ooohh! you're a smart one, you are! :D

luketoh
2007-04-16, 12:33
Hi Karel,

I just tried Idea! and it seems to do what you are looking for. It has text labels, and you can set the columns and rows you need as well as not having any icons (ie. just use text labels, i suppose selecting nothing for icons or an invisible pixel gif?). You can adjust the text label style. As for icons, you can choose which icon you like to use, or simply use the default one that came with the application. Also I noticed that it allows you to select more apps...

BTW, those who don't know, the settings are done at the Control Panel Personalisation side....

Ok, enough of this in this thread. If we're gonna discuss Idea, then we should start a new one.

Mishas! I hope you can release an improved version soon! :) Keep up the good work!

nspeer
2007-04-16, 13:20
Hi Karel,

I just tried Idea! and it seems to do what you are looking for. It has text labels, and you can set the columns and rows you need as well as not having any icons (ie. just use text labels, i suppose selecting nothing for icons or an invisible pixel gif?). You can adjust the text label style. As for icons, you can choose which icon you like to use, or simply use the default one that came with the application. Also I noticed that it allows you to select more apps...

BTW, those who don't know, the settings are done at the Control Panel side....

Ok, enough of this in this thread. If we're gonna discuss Idea, then we should start a new one.

Mishas! I hope you can release an improved version soon! :) Keep up the good work!

Just installed it. Can't really figure out how to use it. Where's a "user's manual"? How do you add other programs to be launched and pick icons for them?

skler
2007-04-17, 11:12
Just installed it. Can't really figure out how to use it. Where's a "user's manual"? How do you add other programs to be launched and pick icons for them?

here is a video guide...
http://www.bouncelab.net/nokia770/video-idea.html