PDA

View Full Version : Finally, my turn for WSOD

cw3
2007-03-24, 22:59
After 3 months, my 770 gives in to WSOD.

I called nokia and they asked me to send the unit in and I'd have to wait. Does anyone know at this point whether they are still repairing the 770, simply replace it with n800, or refund?

SeRi@lDiE
2007-03-25, 01:51

I called nokia and they asked me to send the unit in and I'd have to wait. Does anyone know at this point whether they are still repairing the 770, simply replace it with n800, or refund?

They are repairing it as far as I know, I doubt they will give you a N800, No Refund unless you go thru hell and they finally decide to refund you.

cw3
2007-03-25, 07:25
They are repairing it as far as I know, I doubt they will give you a N800, No Refund unless you go thru hell and they finally decide to refund you.

Thanks for the info SeRi@lDiE. Yikes, let's hope it doesn't happen again after the one year warranty, otherwise it'd ended up being a pretty expensive to own...

adl99
2007-03-25, 09:47
Does anyone know of a way to use the screen outside the device?

It is a beautiful little screen - probably ideal for a unix console, for instance - but I'm living in fear that it will WSOD on me because of the controller. The lack of speed / opera bugs / etc. means that my poor 770 now annoys me and I'd rather salvage the screen as a small second display / terminal display for my server, etc.

MikeL
2007-03-25, 11:37

I called Nokia and they asked me to send the unit in and I'd have to wait. Does anyone know at this point whether they are still repairing the 770, simply replace it with n800, or refund?Hi cw3

I had my Nokia 770 from May 2006 until Feb 2007 and was very happy with unit before I got my WSOD. Re-flashing the OS whilst successful, did not correct the WSOD problem. I spoke with Nokia help desk early last week, as a consequence a got a next day call-back, then a courier collection from home address, on Thu 22nd March.
( I am in UK ATM)

I sent my Nokia 770 in it’s original box with charged battery, battery cover and stylus, but nothing more. I also included a dated letter with details of WSOD etc. I will provide further information on Nokia’s overall response, turnaround time in due course.

Karel Jansens
2007-03-25, 16:33
Hi cw3

I had my Nokia 770 from May 2006 until Feb 2007 and was very happy with unit before I got my WSOD. Re-flashing the OS whilst successful, did not correct the WSOD problem. I spoke with Nokia help desk early last week, as a consequence a got a next day call-back, then a courier collection from home address, on Thu 22nd March.
( I am in UK ATM)

I sent my Nokia 770 in it’s original box with charged battery, battery cover and stylus, but nothing more. I also included a dated letter with details of WSOD etc. I will provide further information on Nokia’s overall response, turnaround time in due course.

Apparently, and according to user testimony, you can say bye-bye to your battery, cover and stylus. Nokia maintains a little black hole to dump those in.

Just a warning...

cw3
2007-03-25, 17:36
MikeL, sorry to hear about yours also. Nokia asked me to send it in myself and I have to pay for shipping, no courier collection...

Thanks for the warning Karel. The support person that I talked to specifically told me to send in the unit only, and keep the battery cover, stylus, battery and memory card. I thought it was odd that they asked me to keep the battery cover, but I guess it must be their process to dump everything except the core unit..

cw3
2007-03-25, 17:41
Does anyone know of a way to use the screen outside the device?

It is a beautiful little screen - probably ideal for a unix console, for instance - but I'm living in fear that it will WSOD on me because of the controller. The lack of speed / opera bugs / etc. means that my poor 770 now annoys me and I'd rather salvage the screen as a small second display / terminal display for my server, etc.

I love my 770 also, but living in the constant fear of its break down means that I can't rely on it to do anything. For example I have been using it to keep notes on maemopad+, but now I have a sqllite db backup but no notes, same for my todo list on gpe and bunch of other things..

convulted
2007-03-26, 23:05
MikeL... Nokia UK has been giving me absolute crap for over a month now (I posted on some other thread detailing my ongoing struggle). So if you receive the bare unit you're in for a lot of swearing.

Milhouse
2007-03-26, 23:38
Which reminds me, I'll try and find out tomorrow if Nokia UK have received my N800 (sans battery, battery cover and stylus) - I sent it off almost two weeks ago to have the touchpad pressure sensitivity problem fixed and I haven't heard a dickie bird since.

convulted
2007-03-27, 15:38
Someone should go hunt down the person responsible for the repairs section of Nokia UK...

mattsqz
2007-03-29, 04:56
its not just uk, they are terrible in the us as well

MikeL
2007-04-02, 11:56
Apparently, and according to user testimony, you can say bye-bye to your battery, cover and stylus. Nokia maintains a little black hole to dump those in.

Just a warning...Thanks for the warning Karel :confused:

Nokia phoned me on Tuesday 27th March to advise me that although my Nokia 770 was collected by the courier "City Link" on Thursday 22nd March; by the time the package arrived at Nokia, the box was empty.

I sent Nokia a fax on Tuesday 27th March to confirm that when the courier collected the Nokia 770 it was sealed in the box. So far I am not off to the best start, Nokia have not yet called to advise me on the next steps whilst they first review insurance claim situation with courier firm etc. (Nokia promised a speedy resolution)

Will keep everyone informed on progress to a successful conclusion.

bac522
2007-04-03, 11:46
Nokia phoned me on Tuesday 27th March to advise me that although my Nokia 770 was collected by the courier "City Link" on Thursday 22nd March; by the time the package arrived at Nokia, the box was empty.

Well if it got stolen during shipment, this might be the best thing that could have happen as you would get full replacement cost of the unit.

MikeL
2007-05-29, 15:32
Well if it got stolen during shipment, this might be the best thing that could have happen as you would get full replacement cost of the unit.I have finally received a brand new boxed Nokia 770 replacement today, 29th May! Just over two months since I sent my original Nokia 770 for a WSOD repair.

I was disappointed with the lack of feedback on ongoing situation, I felt had to constantly remind the UK Nokia Support Staff at "CRC Group, a Nokia After Sales Support Partner" in order to ensure a solution. I sent two faxes, summarising what was discussed during various phone calls, but never received any written conformation on situation from Nokia by way of a reply to my faxes either by email or by post?

At no time was any reference number provided to my problem, which meant that every call I made I needed to explain who I was, what my specific problem was etc.

I am pleased to I have a resolution and conclusion to situation. I am slightly surprised that it took over two months when from almost the first day it was known that my unit was lost during Nokia collection from my home address and transit. (The overall reason given for this was awaiting insurance claim approval)

In my case a good ultimate conclusion to events, if slightly slow to complete.

Milhouse
2007-05-29, 18:31
Sounds very similar to my experience with Nokia UK - the lack of updates from Nokia really p*ssed me off, to this day I don't understand why I, the customer, had to chase Nokia (or their partners) to get some form of acknowledgement that my device had arrived safely, or to find out what was now happening with my device and when I might expect it back.

Fortunately my device came back after 5 weeks, and along the way I did manage to get a tracking reference from an outfit called CRC (http://www.crc-group.com/locations/huntingdon.asp). You need to get a reference number that is held within their "Wilfred" tracking system, this helped (a bit) but I still sometimes had to give my "IMEI" number - I eventually learned that in the case of Internet Tablets, the MAC address is being used as a substitute for the IMEI number.

Ultimately the fault lies with Nokia UK. I contacted the Nokia helpdesk who palmed off my warranty repair to this third party at which point I no longer had any further contact with Nokia directly. I found this quite appalling, and it's clear that Nokia UK are simply not geared up to handle direct customer interaction - no doubt if I held a business account and flogged Nokia phones all day long I'd have much better visibility within Nokia.

What I learned from this experience if you are in the UK:

1. Don't bother contacting Nokia once you have shipped your device for repair, contact CRC direct (01480 431 431) for progress updates

2. Quote your MAC address when asked for an IMEI number or use your postcode in order to identify your "Wilfred" reference - this reference should prove helpful as you will repeatedly be contacting CRC for updates over the next 5 to 8 (9, 10, 11, 12?) weeks

3. A Wilfred reference appears to be a 6-digit number - mine was 1045xx

convulted
2007-05-29, 19:45
Heh-- at least they didn't (i) lose your charger; (ii) promise to call you back and never do (over 3 months of promises lol); (iii) cost you many £'s in international calls.

richie
2007-05-29, 20:23
I did manage to get a tracking reference from an outfit called CRC (http://www.crc-group.com/locations/huntingdon.asp). Blimey they are just round the corner from where I live, I could have popped in for you if I'd known! Actually there is a Nokia network lab, closeby on a business park, different area to tablets I'd imagine, mobile hardware/ software for network carrriers.

Rich

MikeL
2007-05-29, 20:53
Blimey they are just round the corner from where I live, I could have popped in for you if I'd known! Actually there is a Nokia network lab, close by on a business park, different area to tablets I'd imagine, mobile hardware/ software for network carriers.For further Information, for those dealing with UK Support, may find following helpful.

The "with compliments sheet" with my new Nokia 770 today, contained the following key information:-

CRC Group, Kingfisher Way, Hinchingbrooke Business Park, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 8FN. Tel +44 (0) 1480 431431 Fax +44 (0) 1480 482829

I regularly called and/or faxed Tel +44 (0) 1480 482897 & +44 (0) 1480 482879 when requesting information on progress. Approx one week ago I finally lost my patience and requested a compliant address to write to as follows (This was after I explained that I had already sent a compliant via Nokia’s email compliant service and had received no reply?):-

Nokia Supervisor, Nokia, PO BOX 347, Huntingdon, PE29 6GX

I never actually got around to writing to above address as they stated that unit would be with me imminently, which it was therefore...

Please note: I always found the support staff answering the phone very courteous so have no complaints with any of the individuals that took my calls, just the process they seemed to be utilising was ineffective in providing customers with good feedback.

Drewvt
2007-06-26, 09:42

Actually, Karel, I can offer a contrarian testimony: carried my WSOD-770 to a local Nokia Repair Center with everything removed (stylus, battery, cover, mmc, etc.) and I got it back just now with a new battery and new stylus (no new cover or mmc, though). No extra charge. Cool!

It makes up a little for the fact that I had to wait more than two months. Also, I only had one stylus left, lost the other one...

bac522
2007-06-26, 11:20
I got it back just now with a new battery and new stylus (no new cover or mmc, though). No extra charge. Cool!

It makes up a little for the fact that I had to wait more than two months. Also, I only had one stylus left, lost the other one...

You were lucky nothing more. Repair tech forgot to remove that stuff.

Drewvt
2007-06-26, 11:43
You were lucky nothing more. Repair tech forgot to remove that stuff.

Yeah, probably. Human error can be a good thing, too. :)