PDA

View Full Version : Meego Tablet Pre-Alpha Preview - now we're talking

notnarb
2010-06-01, 10:26
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/01/meego-moorestown-powered-tablet-hands-on/

http://i49.tinypic.com/kbccc0.jpg

So Intel has shown off a pre-alpha of the tablet version of Meego. This won't be the Meego UI on the next phones, but it seems a lot closer to the phone UI than the netbook OS would be. This should serve as something to wet our taste buds as we wait for the phone UI.

At the time of writing, there is just a somewhat expansive photo gallery of the UI, but a video is promised as soon as it is uploaded.

Edit: Video is up

F2thaK
2010-06-01, 10:29
O.....m.......g.......

EIPI
2010-06-01, 10:33
a 5 incher would be so sweet.

NvyUs
2010-06-01, 10:34
Tablet version looks awesome, wish we did not have to wait 6 months for it

there is a nice gallery full of pictures

tissot
2010-06-01, 10:41
Some noob guestions.
There will of course be support of Qt apps, but is the UI based on Qt like Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo?

NvyUs
2010-06-01, 10:43
all meego will use Qt

Rugoz
2010-06-01, 10:46
So there is a netbook ux, tablet ux and handset ux?

tissot
2010-06-01, 10:47
all meego will have Qt

Yes it will have Qt like N8 or N900 after PR1.2, but isn't Intels MeeGo UI based on QTK+ like Moblin?

jsa
2010-06-01, 10:51
Some noob guestions.
There will of course be support of Qt apps, but is the UI based on Qt like Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo?

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that UI is based on the MeeGo Touch UI Framework (formerly Harmattan UI Framework). Especially the concept of vertical panes sounds very familiar. No way to be sure yet though.

NvyUs
2010-06-01, 10:51
Yes it will have Qt like N8 or N900 after PR1.2, but isn't Intels MeeGo UI based on QTK+ like Moblin?
MeeGo 1.0 for netbooks is still based on a lot of moblin but is Qt compatible
i think in MeeGo 1.1 it will move completely to Qt

notnarb
2010-06-01, 10:56
So there is a netbook ux, tablet ux and handset ux?

http://meego.com/devices/
And a car UX, and a TV UX.

Intel is working on the netbook and tablet ux, while nokia is working on the "media phone" ux AFAIK.

Venemo
2010-06-01, 11:04
Is it just me, or MeeGo is really plain awesomeness?

Would it be possible to use the current MeeGo for ARM build with this UI and boot it up on the N900?

NvyUs
2010-06-01, 11:11

Would it be possible to use the current MeeGo for ARM build with this UI and boot it up on the N900?

Even engadget like it and they usually hate everything without a i in front

tissot
2010-06-01, 11:12
Video of the MeeGo tablet looks awesome no matter if the UI is based on Qt or not. :D
http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1459/1.28

NvyUs
2010-06-01, 11:20
heres a better 7 minute video
that place engadget uses for video hosting sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVIKYF7MOzU&playnext_from=TL&videos=F29jBbzS-qI&feature=sub

EDIT
If handset UI is anything like the tablet then there will be a lot of MeeGo devices shipping end of the year.
UI looks so simple but panel mode gives it that bit of power user geekyness

mbo
2010-06-01, 11:31
heres a better 7 minute video
that place engadget uses for video hosting sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVIKYF7MOzU&playnext_from=TL&videos=F29jBbzS-qI&feature=sub

interesting, he shows multi touch but it's a resistive screen. (6:00min)

bbin
2010-06-01, 11:41
Looks pretty nice! Is it the first device using Stantum's tech?

pyromaniac
2010-06-01, 11:50
oohh .. whens it out ? me want ..

geneven
2010-06-01, 11:56
That thing doesn't look very pocketable.

tissot
2010-06-01, 11:57

....that's why it's called tablet. :)

bbin
2010-06-01, 12:00

It is a tablet. Days of mids and 5 inch tablets are pretty much over i think. It is either handheld (3.2-4 inch) or a tablet 8-10 inch. I don't think anything over 4 inch is really pocketable. Well okay HD2 sized phone is in the limits :D

Lullen
2010-06-01, 12:11

No it is not only you... MeeGo is plain awesomeness!:D

sevla
2010-06-01, 12:16
I'm speechless. Meego looks AWESOME! I hope they get the tablet version out by the end of the year.

THat product they were demoing isn't scheduled till fall 2011? That's wayyy to far out and will be behind the competition by then.

vkv.raju
2010-06-01, 12:19
Simply wow! And this is just pre-alpha. Can't wait enough for a 10+ inch tablet. I hope there will be devices with this OS with Pixel Qi screen technology.

Kangal
2010-06-01, 13:08
Really impressed with fluidity, sensitivity to touch (not your typical resistive), cleaness and especially after that last MeeGo (for netbooks) demo which brought nothing new to the table.
Perhaps MeeGo does have tricks in its sleeve.
And I thought that last demo was the final product, so I started thinking it should've been Nokia-Intel-Ubuntu trio. Actually Nokia is the odd one out, another company like Asus or Nvidia would've made more sense. If Google decided to cancel Chrome and transfer those efforts to MeeGo I think they could wipe Apple and Microsoft to the floor.

Odd_gunnic
2010-06-01, 14:50
Great job for the meego project...windows tablets are looking bloated, and android tablets look like they're meant to be in PMP's not tablets.

Way to steal the show!!! hopefully the handset UX carries on the momentum

teh
2010-06-01, 15:31
Wow. iPad has a challenger ahead there. I'll certainly buy one of these babies!

vvaz
2010-06-01, 16:35
It is a tablet. Days of mids and 5 inch tablets are pretty much over i think. It is either handheld (3.2-4 inch) or a tablet 8-10 inch. I don't think anything over 4 inch is really pocketable. :D

My N800 is pocketable. In cold months I keep it in pockets of trousers or jackets, in summer I put it in backpack or waist bag. It also fits in any car glove compartment or suits internal pocket.

Do these things with 8-10" monsters. With them I have to say goodbye to convergence dreams. Not only I don't have tablet with me anywhere, it also means I need separate camera.

5" (1024x600) phone/tablet with N8 camera for me would be ultimate electronic device.

Laughing Man
2010-06-01, 16:38
My N800 is pocketable. In cold months I keep it in pockets of trousers or jackets, in summer I put it in backpack or waist bag. It also fits in any car glove compartment or suits internal pocket.

Do these things with 8-10" monsters. With them I have to say goodbye to convergence dreams. Not only I don't have tablet with me anywhere, it also means I need separate camera.

5" (1024x600) phone/tablet with N8 camera for me would be ultimate electronic device.

With Meego being open (similar to Android) as in installing on numerous platforms. I'm sure one company will make a 4-5 inch tablet. That is unless Android scoops up all the manufacturers.

Odd_gunnic
2010-06-01, 16:51
So will the tablets run on chrome or firefox?

RogerTHAcctant
2010-06-01, 17:02
RESISTIVE!!! WITH MULTITOUCH, hello meego for n900!

convulted
2010-06-01, 17:03
Even engadget like it and they usually hate everything without a i in front

iNtel?

(paddingpaddingpadding)

Texrat
2010-06-01, 17:12
It is a tablet. Days of mids and 5 inch tablets are pretty much over i think. It is either handheld (3.2-4 inch) or a tablet 8-10 inch. I don't think anything over 4 inch is really pocketable. Well okay HD2 sized phone is in the limits :D

I want a 10 inch touch screen tablet so I can sit on my couch, watch TV and do graphics design work.

Looking forward to Inkscape on a MeeGo tablet... ahhhh... :D

wmarone
2010-06-01, 17:14
RESISTIVE!!! WITH MULTITOUCH, hello meego for n900!

No guarantees though. There are resistive screens with multi-touch support, but it likely requires hardware support the N900 lacks.

Just have to wait and see.

BatPenguin
2010-06-01, 17:19
That does look pretty good! And pre-alpha: that's only an alpha stage away from normal Nokia release quality, should be out soon!

Seriously though, it does look pretty nice. Hopefully they'll get one of those out pretty soon.

buurmas
2010-06-01, 17:41
Six hour battery life, they said. Not iPad's advertised 10 hours (IIRC), but way better than ExoPC Slate's (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/30/exopc-slate-hands-on/) three hours (thanks to Windows 7).

Why would someone want a tablet with a three hour battery life? When a tablet really rocks is when you can use it all day, like our beloved N8x0s.

I'm not sure how I feel about the UX. A flashy UX is OK with me as long as you don't sacrifice functionality & responsiveness & as long as it doesn't get in the way.

wmarone
2010-06-01, 17:45
Six hour battery life, they said. Not iPad's advertised 10 hours (IIRC), but way better than ExoPC Slate's (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/30/exopc-slate-hands-on/) three hours (thanks to Windows 7).
Not bad for x86, for sure. Intel has a long way to go though.

I'm not sure how I feel about the UX. A flashy UX is OK with me as long as you don't sacrifice functionality & responsiveness & as long as it doesn't get in the way.
The UI probably needs work, certainly in how the back-end handles long load times and transitions between interfaces. Stuff just "appearing" and rendering partially shouldn't happen, instead fading into a completely rendered interface. But that's all refinements once the system is up and working (but before it goes out on devices.)

Milhouse
2010-06-01, 18:21

Different generation of hardware - the MeeGo x86 tablet is based on Moorestown while the ExoPC is based on the previous generation Pine View chipset. Not saying Windows 7 isn't responsible for the cr@p battery life, but it's probably not entirely at fault so you can't really compare a Pine View tablet with one based on Moorestown.

Chrome
2010-06-01, 18:58
A new video for the tablet: http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1459/53.547

Pictures and hands-on: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/01/meego-moorestown-powered-tablet-hands-on/

buurmas
2010-06-01, 21:51
Yep, forgot about the processor.

On a somewhat-related note, here's (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/197691/making_the_ipad_fit_into_your_daily_life.html) an article I found interesting that focuses on using the iPad (sorry!), but most of it would apply to the tablet form factor in general and thus most tablets of a similar size.

The author's most consistent complaint is figuring out how to hold it to type. That makes me realize how easy my N810 is to hold & type with my thumbs. But you can't do that with a 10" tablet, right? And it's apparently awkward to put it on your lap or desk and type. The author talks about holding it with his thumbs and typing with his eight fingers. Hmmmm...

Laughing Man
2010-06-01, 21:57
From what I've seen of people using the iPad and large tablets before hand, there really is no good position to hold them in if your not near a table or level surface.

Most people (including me when I tried it) put them in the lap with a knee crossed.

doksng
2010-06-03, 07:48
Really looking forward to Meego devices

REMFwhoopitydo
2010-06-03, 16:25
hmmm, what i wouldn't give for the following:

Nokia/Ovi tablet
5" capacitive screen using colour e-ink tech
Omap4 CPU
Meego 1.1

Kangal
2010-06-07, 06:49
Actually I did some measurements and the sweet spot is (for me) 10" 16:9 screen. At a thickness of roughly 1".

Why?
At that thickness it is portable and comfortable on hand. Any more, it becomes too thick for some sleeves. Any less, it feels cheap and uncomfortable.

At that size you can view text at 85-100% of original size (usually font 12) and this would be viewed at arms length away (70cm i think) on the couch/bed/carpet. So it's a viewable size for the target length, test it for yourself if you have a netbook/laptop.
On top of this, at 10" the whole page (horizontally) is rendered so the only scrolling you need is downwards.

And on top of this, the 14" (screen and bezel) tablet is easy to hold one-handed when its arranged in a portrait thanks to its widebody (16:9). When held in landscape you need to use both hands, but it is not too large (horizontally) that your hands are too distant leaving touchscreen areas out of reach, and it's not too small causing your fingers to touch each other.

It takes a lot of research by a major company to find these figures, takes me (and most people) a glance.

PS I have large hands but I feel confident that the experience I've noted will conform to adults with smaller hands, though kids (<12yo) will feel it is too large.

Kangal
2010-06-07, 07:10
I think tablets should be designed in that aspect plus a bonus. I think tablets should get a protective clamshell case that doubles as your keyboard (perhaps with a mouseclit/trackball) and extended battery.
The clamshell can fold open/close like your notebook but unable to turn (stability issue).

I think the solution above is better than a touchscreen netbook with the same dimensions that can turn 180* so its a netvertible.
Both solutions can: act as tablets, act as netbooks, both as protective clamshell.
The difference it that the tablet+clamshell has the ability to be more portable as a standalone tablet, it lacks a swivel-hinge which are prone to damage after moderate use, it has an extended battery which you can choose to swap.

Kangal
2010-06-07, 09:04
Now as for the processors there are 4 candidates:

1) ARM Cortex 9:
Can't run Windows instead uses MeeGo etc
Most effecient and smallest unit
Performance = regular (5)
Battery Life = high (5)
Eg TI OMAP 4400 = dual 1GHz A9 & SGX540

2) Moorestown:
Can't run Windows instead uses MeeGo etc
Somewhat efficient and small unit
Performance = low (2)
Battery Life =high (4)
Eg Z600 = 1.2GHz & 1080 playback (comparable to SGX540)

3) An Atom:
Can run Windows 7 and MeeGo
The least efficient and larger unit
Performance = regular (5)
Battery Life = regular (3)
Eg N470 = 1.83GHz Atom & ION

4) A CULV:
Can run Windows 7 and MeeGo
Somewhat efficient and largest unit
Performance = high (7)
Battery Life = low (1)
Eg SU7300 = dual 1.3GHz core & HD4330

As you can see it all depends on how good MeeGo (and other OS's) can be quality wise, developer wise, cross-compatability wise and "application support" wise, as it rivals Windows 7 for the tablet/netbook space.
And then it depends on how large the battery is. Normally we need about 6hours per day. So if your device has a 6-cell (5,600mAh) battery the upgrade to CULV for more high performance utility seems like a good trade, but if your batter is only 3,000mAh the lesser CPU's are more appropriate.

Laughing Man
2010-06-07, 16:40
It takes a lot of research by a major company to find these figures, takes me (and most people) a glance.

PS I have large hands but I feel confident that the experience I've noted will conform to adults with smaller hands, though kids (<12yo) will feel it is too large.

Honestly it doesn't take much as you've pointed out to find an ideal comfortable size. Even companies don't need "alot of research" to figure out what would be ideal.

But the number one rule to keep in mind is constraints. And a company is constrained by the cost of the equipment to fit that one inch thickness (if it even exists). Size of equipment, battery, etc.. and how affordable it is for the company to build it.

Unless you can guarantee them you'll pay whatever it costs them to buy the parts (if it's even possible yet). + R&D costs + a little extra to make a profit.

me2000
2010-06-10, 19:00
Simply wow! And this is just pre-alpha. Can't wait enough for a 10+ inch tablet.

Ditto. I hope the screens work well in outdoor settings too.

RobertHall
2010-06-10, 19:16
so for the n900 and the resistive multitouch is it a hardware thing or can some sort of drivers be installed to get it working? (total noob on this)
im liking the resistive multitouch and i do think thats the way to go in terms of screens.....

geneven
2010-06-10, 19:35
As far as size goes, I think all one has to do is find out what people tend to prefer in general. If you look at schools for the last what, 40 years, you will find (I think) that students mostly preferred spiral notebooks of a certain size. It looks like that size was 9.5 by 6 inches. One wouldn't have to stick strictly to those dimensions, but I would say that BETWEEN 9.5 and 6 inches is the size that was picked by students for decades.

james174
2010-06-11, 09:36
Seems the tablet has been chosen with the 1.5Ghz Moorestown cpu. Called the Quanta Redvale See many pics here (http://www.engadget.com/photos/meego-tablet-hands-on/#3029375)