PDA

View Full Version : virtual machine+scratchbox

lucky-luke
2007-03-26, 16:47
Hi, I'm looking for a virtual machine to run scratchbox an maemo Os2006-3, because I'm not able to put linux+scratchbox in the office PC, and I can't find a livecd with the scratchbox installed. Few months ago I downloaded a Vmware virtual machine with ubuntu, scratchbox for OS2006-1, but I'm not able to update to v3.
I think that would be very interesting that "maemo" have a live cd with the enviorements ready to use.

ArnimS
2007-04-02, 22:36
Hi lucky-luke,

Using a livecd and using a vm for scratchbox development are really seperate issues. You can use one, or the other, or both.

To make a livecd + scratchbox, search for your favorite distro and learn how "remaster it". Puppy linux makes custom mastered livecds/usbs easy - don't know about how well it works as a scratchbox host OS.
You will probably want to look into COW (copy on write) support so that changed files automatically go to usb stick or a disk image.

I think it'd be easier to just install your favorite OS to a vmware machine, then add scratchbox and install your maemo target. Copy the image to a big usb stick and you're good to go.

Stop by #maemo chat on irc.freenode.net if you have scratchbox or maemo questions. It's pretty easy if you read the (correct) documentation for your version of scratchbox.

Good luck,
Arnim