PDA

View Full Version : MeeGo tablet looks like it will kill iPad!

law138
2010-06-05, 06:43
Dont know if this is old sorry if it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv=iVIKYF7MOzU

Mateus
2010-06-05, 07:06
There are too many iPhone killers :D and noone realy killed iPhone ;)
So i think, the iPad will be the same story.

There are too many of them - peaople addicted with fruit (apple)

law138
2010-06-05, 07:09
I would love to get a phone that has the same os if it is as smooth as it is on the tablet.

xtian
2010-06-05, 07:27
Looks interesting.

efekt
2010-06-05, 07:37
Resistive screen?! :eek:
Did they just use a resistive screen with multi-touch? I thought those screens are very rare...

anaskr
2010-06-05, 07:39
dude this is just cool !! please dont compare this with iphone or something !!

iphone is a rocking phone(i cant believe i am saying that, but that's that) but for just the normal users who aren't interested in modding anything

Maemo+Meego=Developers Dream(our dream too :P )

as u can meego apps will work in maemo though we wont be having a UI similar to it (yeah will loose lots a features) but who cares atleast we are getting apps for n900 too !! and that makes us superior to iphone!!

well guess what, the guys who have bought n900 too early are in loss but if u have bought say later on in feb then its ur own mistake IF you dont like the phone in case i.e !!

akaSM
2010-06-05, 07:47
If the N900 version of meego looks like that, I'll get it as soon as it's available :D. Also, I wouldn't really get a tablet because I don't like things that have no HW keys. And that things not only gives the iPad 1 finger, it gives it 5 fingers :p

cjp
2010-06-05, 08:02
The "N900 version" will proably be something similar to that but I doubt that its going to be so flashy.

But the thin with "killing the iXX products" is that Apple is just lightyears ahead in mindshare, so if killing means in the sense of being more popular, then its a lost cause.

Luckily for us who appreciate functionality and power the MeeGo will wipe the desk with everything else out there! :)

afaq
2010-06-05, 08:21
thats is a lot better than what i had imagined.

as more and more of meego is released im quite glad this merger of intel and nokia took place in this field. il get myself a meego phone, meego tablet, meego tv? :p
just imagine the integration you will bw able to do.

ysss
2010-06-05, 08:44
@afaq: i completely agree. It's the shape of things to come. Google and Apple are also building their multi-formfacfor ecosystem (smartphone, handheld/tablet, tv, car, photo frames, etc).

I think the true win for us if they use interoperable standards/services (clouds, etc)

mannakiosk
2010-06-05, 09:33
I'd love the n900 to have that vertical scrolling of columns on the desktop in addition to horisontal switching.

law138
2010-06-05, 10:32
Resistive screen?! :eek:
Did they just use a resistive screen with multi-touch? I thought those screens are very rare...

I didnt even notice that till you pointed it out wow.

Jack6428
2010-06-05, 13:47
I hope the exact same experience or even better will come from the mobile MeeGo device. Other than that I have to say - I'm glad I didn't buy an iPad.

IsaacDFP
2010-06-05, 20:00
I don't care what it has in it, whether Apple OR Nokia, for my personal opinion and taste: No Hardware Keyboard = No Go for me. I just cannot use a device that doesn't have a physical keyboard. A touchscreen is software and I just can't trust it... If I pressed something and it doesn't respond, I don't know if it's laggy, buggy or if i just didn't press it... But on a physical keyboard, i know that I have pressed the key, so i have that peace of mind, if it doesn't respond, i know where to start troubleshoot (on the app or software)

Venemo
2010-06-05, 20:13
In terms of functionality, both the iPad and the iPhone is "killed" already.

Still, their main selling point is not functionality, but the chewed apple logo, and neither Nokia nor others won't have that.

slartibartfass
2010-06-05, 20:19
That is awesome. Whats the name of this tablet and when will it come out?

gri
2010-06-05, 20:20
In terms of functionality, both the iPad and the iPhone is "killed" already.

Still, their main selling point is not functionality, but the chewed apple logo, and neither Nokia nor others won't have that.

Yumm, apples ...

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/g/gr/grceva/867278_rotten_apple.jpg

aligatro
2010-06-05, 20:21
Don't underestimate the power of apple fanboys/fan girls. :P

ysss
2010-06-05, 20:37
If you want to 'kill' apple, then you have to understand their true selling points. Looking down at apple/their buyers won't get you any closer to that.

D4rKlar
2010-06-05, 20:51
There are too many iPhone killers :D and noone realy killed iPhone ;)
So i think, the iPad will be the same story.

There are too many of them - peaople addicted with fruit (apple)

As stated above, I'd say it really depends on what you mean by 'iPhone killer' mate. If you mean total numbers sold, then yeah the iPhone's hard to beat.

If you mean functionality and pure awsomeness...

...then I'm holding an 'iPhone killer' right now :D

slartibartfass
2010-06-05, 21:49
Is this the CTL tablet? Thought it would have win7.

chowdahhead
2010-06-05, 22:05
It's a prototype but he said in the clip (~5:20) that battery life is around 6hrs. That's not very promising.

tissot
2010-06-05, 22:07
I was disappointed of ipad when it was announced. After all the rumours and all i was hoping something a bit more PC like, but with "custom UI". I would have also be ready to pay for some real HW there.

MeeGo for tablets looks much more like what i'm looking for, but honestly i'm not sure if i really need this(tablet) kind of device. :D
Lets see the meeGo phones first.

mthmob
2010-06-05, 22:29
As long as people pick the brand (apple) over the device it self.. nothing will kill iphone or ipad or ipod or ixxx or what ever lame device names apple has come up with...

To many people has become inlove with apple.. since they launched their first ipod...

Maybe if we create a new brand called "Pear" And start a series of devices under the name Axxx.. f.ex Aphone (pronounced "a phone") Apad, Apod, Alaptop And Afoodprocessor.. then we might have a chance.. since then we are creating a fan base for a new brand...

This is where nokia has gone wrong.. its harder to stay nokia fan, since they are not as much out there as apple.. Also Nokia has split their fanbase up into smaller groups.. N97 fans, N95 fans, Maemo Fans, symbian Fans, internet tablet fans...

Apple did the exact opposite.. they make all their devices work together.. a true apple fan owns several apple products.. and heres the kicker.. these products/devices can work together in many ways... you can own iphone, ipad, macbook and macintosh.. and use them all for diffrent tasks...

if you own 3 Nokia products, atleast one of these products is just laying around somewhere and is not really needed...

what you need to kill iphone/ipad.. is actuelly an Apple killer.. wich Nokia or Intel most likely will never be able to do...

So stop wasting time on this useless discussion.. 1 device can not kill an entire company... Just look at nexus one.. everyone was like "Iphone killer!!"... but even the entire android market has no chance... since its just a phone... the iphone is part of something bigger.. a complete franchise made to look magical...

And no im not an iphone fan or user. Will never own an apple product again... ever..

mokkey
2010-06-06, 15:02
apple will not be beaten in any way there market is to big to many ppl have there goods and tbh the iphone is good in its own way and the n900 is good in its own way . . . . i fink nokia should give us n900 users meego if they don't then im ever getting a nokia phone ever agen!

gerbick
2010-06-06, 22:19
Can't say that I'm impressed as of yet with any of the newer tablet offerings. My N810 still was the tablet of choice to me. This doesn't grab my attention - looks like a weird hybrid of MeeGo/Maemo and JooJoo.

GI jack
2010-06-16, 16:01
Honestly, its like trying to make a motorcycle to compete with Harley-Davidson.

No matter how hard you try, nothing is a harley except a harley.

Nothing is apple but apple. Apple sells products to people who want an apple, and these people pay, ridiculous prices for the privilege. Of course apple makes it so only other apple products work right with your apple product pushing you to buy more of their ****. I had an Ipod once, to use it I needed itunes, which is a complete load of dogshit, eats memory even when its not in use, runs slow, and does nothing useful. It also pushes the itunes store on me to buy more **** from them. More **** I don't need.

I've got a world of apps on my n900, most of which are open source, and none which I paid a dime for, and a whole community of experts that are more useful with solving problems and technical **** than a whole legion devoted to Steve Jobs worship.

Apple makes products for apple users. Apple users won't switch away from apple, regardless.

SAABoy
2010-06-16, 17:37
this tablet looks awesome! so 1.5 ghz, (what kinda cpu?) and at least 5 finger multitouch resistive?! SWEET!

SAABoy
2010-06-16, 19:19
When the guy is doing conclusion at the end of the vid, does he really say its capacitive?! lol

KoolMoeDee
2010-06-21, 02:33
The thing is...... many large organizations have had these pads in development for a very long time. Its just Apple have beaten their competitors to the market to gain the large portion of market share and consumers (which I think they have succeeded).

When these other brands of the pad come out people might be hitting themselves that they bought an IPAD.

lwa
2010-06-21, 03:49
Bare in mind that tablet is actually running windows 7... :P

It just has a program that looks like what they hope the tablet UX will be line running in full screen..

I'm curious as to see if it will retain the gloss and finish when they port it to Meego, and if they do, then how they will then tie the Netbook experience back into that higher quality UX on the tablet, because I imagine they would want some basic coherence through the reference designs...

silvermountain
2010-06-21, 04:02
UI looked very lackluster.
The photo interaction, the rather horrible 'panels' to sort your apps/information, etc all looked like something I would get tired of very quickly. I was hoping for more.

maxximuscool
2010-06-21, 04:07
I think MeeGO should support 3D, Use cameras as the 3D focal point. Just like the Nintendo 3D DS. This would kill Iphone and Ipad.

Jedibeeftrix
2010-06-21, 11:06
digitimes reckon nokia are planning a 7-9 inch arm based meego tablet:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100621VL205.html

bxbomber
2010-06-21, 11:35

hopefully with the n9 and now meego tablet it'll mean more support from 3rd party developers.

wonder how much it'll cost me for both the nokia tablet and n9.

tissot
2010-06-21, 11:54

Eldar Murtazin also said that there is tablet in a works from Nokia.

Definitely needs to be running MeeGo to get me interested(rather than Windows).

chemist
2010-06-21, 12:11
This pad and the UX would fit with logitech's squeezebox stuff as home entertainment system, having meego at your desktop as proper system a media one for the TV+data/mediaserver, small user controller setup for handhelds, a larger for pads and everything syncronized. Your current playlist is automaticaly uploaded from your phone/handheld/netbook if they are available, so is your shoppinglist you just entered at the pad mounted to your fridge uploaded to your phone/handheld or send via mail to partner/wife/husband. You come home and tab the pad at the fridge that is aware of you being the one just in range already, you tab play and have the music played back you just paused by parking your car. You call off your kids from the 52" TV and they go upstairs after they paused their fav. series and send the stream link to their handheld/TV to fill the buffers on their way up and attach it to their own TV.
Like logitech's squeezebox but for more than just music. ;)
If that is the deal I would buy a meego pad, for everything else but mounting it up in the kitchen I do not have any use yet.

Sending my music around in house I do already by assigning my output to a server... exporting playlist to my handheld (video and audio) I do already... well my shopping list... I don't write them that often but I read them on my handheld!

bxbomber
2010-06-21, 12:57
i wonder if nokia will go the way apple did and make the n9 and tablet almost identical hardware wise? and wifi only for me, don't need 3g as i could always gon online via the bluetooth on the tablet.

dtergens
2010-06-21, 13:05
pre-alpha meego tablet :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncfZda0iEc&feature=player_embedded

juise-
2010-06-21, 14:38
the rather horrible 'panels' to sort your apps/information

Huh? I thought that was pretty cool idea. I'd like that on my N900, instead of the "desktops". It might suck though, if it's badly implemented.

Another note for me was, that the widescreen form factor actually looks much nicer than 4:3.

Vinh
2010-06-21, 19:44
ARgh! Nokia MeeGo tablet or HP/Palm WebOS tablet?! Well, it's nice to have options...

elleberth
2010-06-21, 21:35
tablet(s) from Nokia has already been tested. Starting in the fourth quarter?

http://justamp.blogspot.com/2010/06/plane-table-from-nokia-has-already-been.html

devu
2010-06-21, 22:03
Sorry for little offtop, but this is my candidate for perfect geeky device if I will jump to tablet area.

http://techlogg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/librettow100-300x236.jpg

http://www.futura-sciences.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_Libretto_W100_Ouvert_Clavier2_txdam14667 _82bfa8.jpg.jpg

I founded this by mistake looking for good ergonomic virtual keyboard implementation for touch devices. And I love every aspect of this device, IPone to compare to that is a joke and already dead :)

http://techlogg.com/2010/06/toshiba-releases-dual-touchscreen-libretto-mini-notebook/848

ysss
2010-06-21, 22:11
@devu: (bypassing the fact that it'll run win7 and it's still quite sometime away from materializing) that thing will cost a boatload because it's a limited run libretto 25th anniversary device.

lwa
2010-06-21, 22:16
Did anyone notice on the new youtube video of the tablet UX that popped up, when he starts playing the trailer for avatar he has to use his thumb to cover up the apple logo that appears in the bottom right corner.... :rolleyes: lol

devu
2010-06-21, 22:17
@devu: (bypassing the fact that it'll run win7 and it's still quite sometime away from materializing) that thing will cost a boatload because it's a limited run libretto 25th anniversary device.

Yeap... it just let my imagination fly :D. But Imagine Some MeeGo based device about size of N900 that fit your pocked. N900 thickness seems to be ok. And dual screen like above :rolleyes:

Laughing Man
2010-06-21, 23:10
ARgh! Nokia MeeGo tablet or HP/Palm WebOS tablet?! Well, it's nice to have options...

Why not...

INSERT NAME HERE Meego Tablet?

maxximuscool
2010-06-21, 23:56
Yeap... it just let my imagination fly :D. But Imagine Some MeeGo based device about size of N900 that fit your pocked. N900 thickness seems to be ok. And dual screen like above :rolleyes:

uM... How are you going to make a phone call then? lol.. My suggestion is dual screen with slide instead. This way You can either use 1 screen or both.

But downside is scratches and thickness, also who would want to use 2 screens? Seriously!! This would kill the battery in 2hours of usage. Hell NO

chase15
2010-06-22, 00:13
WHAT THE?? resistive screen with 5 multi-touch capabilities?? MEEGO FTW!

maxximuscool
2010-06-22, 00:28
WHAT THE?? resistive screen with 5 multi-touch capabilities?? MEEGO FTW!

Don't you read about Multi-touch resistive? LOL man you out-dated.
Multi-touch resistive is out since before N900 is released. But It was during the making of N900, it wasn't. At least it wasn't fully in production but now it is fully.

I feel upset at first about resistive multitouch.. but now i have to live with single touch until 2011

devu
2010-06-22, 00:33
uM... How are you going to make a phone call then? lol.. My suggestion is dual screen with slide instead. This way You can either use 1 screen or both.

But downside is scratches and thickness, also who would want to use 2 screens? Seriously!! This would kill the battery in 2hours of usage. Hell NO

Yea... and some slide mechanism similar to N97 for example.

But screen technology? Hmm from tech point of view is available from more than Decade and consuming less power as LCD is cheaper in production, thicker and can work wit more than 300DPI resolution if you like. Also consuming only when changing the state of content. If static consuming 0 volt, doesn't need back light to achieve good contrast. Philips 8 years ago even introduced some electronic circuits and components that can be bake to this thin flexible surface. Pierre Cardin even had some electronic product stands with this technology working also decade ago.
Also 7 years ago they manage to make it RGB. (guess what I'm talking about ;) )

Only from marketing point of view is not. And I'm the guy who was following this subject from decade.

Do you remember vodafone website "future vision"? Released in 2000? Interesting that 10 years later and tech companies slicing a bread slowly for us. That how it works. We should have really cool toys these days if no corporations and marketing decisions. Many people saying competition is driving changes in technology. This is urban legend at some point. Because competition is working only up to some level. Above that is huge break for technology and evolution because will start working against those who settle gently and they will do everything they can to defend this state.

Now, content about this subject is being removed successively. Less and less information is available. Some big companies holding technology patents no for make it alive. But for protect their status quo and keep it dead or even unborn. Against the marketing rules and competitors. We have no idea what we could have these days.

Do I really have to talk about this to Open Source lovers community? :rolleyes:

maxximuscool
2010-06-22, 00:37
Yea... and some slide mechanism similar to N97 for example.

But screen technology? Hmm from tech point of view is available from more than Decade and consuming less power as LCD is cheaper in production, thicker and can work wit more than 300DPI resolution if you like. Also consuming only when changing the state of content. If static consuming 0 volt, doesn't need back light to achieve good contrast. Philips 8 years ago even introduced some electronic circuits and components that can be bake to this thin flexible surface. Pierre Cardin even had some electronic product stands with this technology working also decade ago.
Also 7 years ago they manage to make it RGB. (guess what I'm talking about ;) )

Only from marketing point of view is not. And I'm the guy who was following this subject from decade.

Do you remember vodafone website "future vision"? Released in 2000? Interesting that 10 years later and tech companies slicing a bread slowly for us. That how it works. We should have really cool toys these days if no corporations and marketing decisions. Many people saying competition is driving changes in technology. This is urban legend at some point. Because competition is working only up to some level. Above that is huge break for technology and evolution because will start working against those who settle gently and they will do everything they can to defend this state.

Now, content about this subject is being removed successively. Less and less information is available. Some big companies holding technology patents no for make it alive. But for protect their status quo and keep it dead or even unborn. Against the marketing rules and competitors. We have no idea what we could have these days.

Do I really have to talk about this to Open Source lovers community? :rolleyes:

I would rather preferred physical keyboards + multitouch resistive with a slimmer design than the N900 and wider screen and resolution screens over dual screen device :)

This way I don't have to worry about scratching either of the screen. Think about it, why would you buy the N900 at the start? Multi-tasking + Physical Keyboard... That is for me!

devu
2010-06-22, 00:43
Yea. Physical keyboard was the key point I guess for many of us. But in all this tablet craziness If I could I prefer Toshiba approach. I've seen a guy in train playing some racing game (accelerometer based) on his IPad. Everyone around him was holding some normal device and was looking at him. It was funny to see his challenge and faces of the rest of people. But if you think about it. If some day the situation will reverse.. Hell NO :D

...boy
2010-06-25, 20:47
Pre-Alpha MeeGo Tablet Demo (take 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4vv7yFaqxw

ioan
2010-06-25, 20:57
iPad/iXxx/Apple success is not about quality or features anymore, is a religion. Good luck getting legions of fanatics to change their believes and/or religion to Nokia/MeeGo.

U.ser
2010-06-29, 11:48
Nokia should take commercial lessons from al-mighty Steve Jobs if it wants to kill the iPad

Samsung Galaxy S is an iPhone killer .. But the company dosen't know how to make commercial , so there is a few number of people who it exist (Geeks) .. if you asked a normal person about Galaxy S they'll naturally say 'What's That?' .. try ask them about iPhone 4 or SE X10 .. They'll Know Them Right Away Cause They Know how to Make Commercials

But Leave Nokia Outta This , I Never Knew The n86 until 6months of it's announcment , same with n900

The N8 Commercial Rocks though .. i Hope they do the same thing with MeeGo device .. i hate to carry a phone that nobody knows because i will look like a hard-core geek -_-

nilchak
2010-06-30, 14:07
I am really nterested in that Meego Tablet experience and am seriously debatintg waiting and getting a Meego tablet rather than a Meego phone (as I already have a Maemo Phone).

On the tablet front - apart from the iPad there is othing as yet which is very attactive in terms of form and function.
The JooJoo while it looks good is not very functional and damn expensive at that. An Android tablet makes sense but I would rather wait for the Meego tablet - provided Nokai (or anyone else) can make a nice form factor device.

ysss
2010-06-30, 14:13
@nilchak: Have you heard about the Cisco Cius?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11156/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps11156/images/solution_overview_c22-608594-12.jpg

I'm not sure about the spec or whether they're going to bring this retail at all. But all I know is: Cisco + Android OS + 7" tablet.

That's gotta bring this form factor to the enterprise market and it'll come with many enterprise-related functionalities (remote management, etc) that's definitely going to net a significant positive effect to the Android camp.

nilchak
2010-06-30, 15:22
Yes say the news today about the Cius - but its more of an enterprise device with integration for Cisco telephoney and stuff.

Its not yet sure if Android Market will be available for this.
But enthusing to see more and more Android tablets hitting the market.

Point is if and when a very nice Android tablet comes along, can I wait (not knowing how long) for a Meego production tablet ?

ZackMorris
2010-07-01, 15:09
Looks like the tablet is officially confirmed to the press.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/did-nokia-just-confirm-a-meego-tablet/