PDA

View Full Version : Launching Web/Apps without Touchscreen

EwanG
2007-03-30, 13:14
Is it possible on the N800 to launch the Web Browser or to launch your other Apps WITHOUT using the Touchscreen. My touchscreen has died, but the unit appears to work just fine without it - except that I can't do anything that isn't in an applet.

I would like to think the UI was thought out well enough to cover this possibility, but then I like to think that most people are reasonable and well adjusted too :D

If it can't be done with the device controls, but could be done if I used a bluetooth keyboard, that would also be useful info.

TIA!

artkavanagh
2007-03-30, 13:31
My touchscreen has died, but the unit appears to work just fine without it

My condolences. I suggest that you bring it back for a replacement/repair.

If it can't be done with the device controls, but could be done if I used a bluetooth keyboard, that would also be useful info.

It can be done using a bluetooth keyboard, but there's a big if. The application launcher menu can be brought up with the F3 key (or key combination, i.e. Fn + 3 on the ThinkOutside Sierra). The problem, of course, is that if bluetooth isn't already turned on, and the keyboard paired with the N800, you need to be able to get into Control Panel to turn it on/pair it. And, as far as I know, to get into Control Panel, you need to be able to bring up the application launcher menu.

EwanG
2007-03-30, 14:00
My condolences. I suggest that you bring it back for a replacement/repair.

Unfortunately there's not an authorized service center within 100 miles of San Antonio, TX, so I'd have to send it in and then hope they would choose to fix it for free. Hence the reason I'm trying to figure out if there's a workaround :D

It can be done using a bluetooth keyboard, but there's a big if. The application launcher menu can be brought up with the F3 key (or key combination, i.e. Fn + 3 on the ThinkOutside Sierra). The problem, of course, is that if bluetooth isn't already turned on, and the keyboard paired with the N800, you need to be able to get into Control Panel to turn it on/pair it. And, as far as I know, to get into Control Panel, you need to be able to bring up the application launcher menu.

And you can't bring up the application launcher menu using just the controls already on the device - at least so far as I have been able to determine. So basically if you can't use the touchscreen, the tablet is just a real expensive SD card reader. If that's true, I hope that Nokia considers for the next version allowing for an alternate means of entry.

Thanks anyway.