View Full Version : SDHC Support for 3.2007.10-7 has arrived

d800
2007-03-30, 18:57
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/developers/20400

Thanks Kalle !

d800

YoDude
2007-03-30, 19:04
Thanks for the heads up d800 http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/ernaehrung004.gif

BTW, was there ever any reason given for why it was not available in the 3.2007.10-7 upgrade to begin with?

Are there any known issues?

timsamoff
2007-03-30, 19:14
Ummm...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5558

I still haven't been able to get it to install. Of course, I just read the install notes and... Wow. I don't know if I'm ready for that! :D

T.

T.

Void_Ptr
2007-03-30, 23:11
Woohoo!

Exactly what I was waiting for.

I updated to the latest firmware and then flashed this new kernel, and voila! My two 8gb Adata SDHC cards work!

Success!

SeRi@lDiE
2007-03-30, 23:20
Ummm...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5558

I still haven't been able to get it to install. Of course, I just read the install notes and... Wow. I don't know if I'm ready for that! :D

T.

T.

The way I think you are trying to install it is for scratchbox which is use in the development enviroment...
Thats what the instructions are showing you and how you can do it from apt-get....

If you want to use the latest firmware flash your N800 with the latest bin file.

RX-34_2007SE_3[1].2007.10-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin

iball
2007-03-30, 23:48
SeRi, just where is that [1] bin file? It's not on the official download site. (Yet?)
Or are you talking about just reflashing the ptached kernel?

SeRi@lDiE
2007-03-30, 23:51
I reply to your original post I am not going to keep double posting... ;)

johsua
2007-03-31, 03:40
You can download the patched kernel from the link in that thread posted above, and patch your existing new OS using fanoush's kernel flasher on the n800. i.e., you don't have to totally reflash, nor do you have to use flasher on a linux box. make sense? it's really straight forward, and the updated sdhc kernel works with my 8gb adata card.

I can give you more instructions if u wish...

download the following to your home dir /home/user/

http://iki.fi/zuh/n800_defconf_shdc_kernel
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/kernel_flasher.tgz

in xterm as root:
tar -zxf kernel_flasher.tgz
./kernel_flasher/kernel_flash sdhc-kernel.bin

type yes if prompted
reboot

see also:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40786

Milhouse
2007-03-31, 16:50
Phil Langdale, the kernel developer who created the SDHC and MMC patches for the main Linux kernel has also created a new N800 kernel using the 3.2007.10-7 source.

It's binary different to the kernel created by Kalle - different file size - so I've gone with Phils kernel as his previous kernels worked like a charm in the past. And he is also the originator for the SDHC patches! :)

http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=50

johsua
2007-03-31, 16:56
i am guessing that I would have to reflash the os to use that version.... perhaps i will...

Milhouse
2007-03-31, 18:08
Just reflash the kernel to use either version.

Nik1
2007-03-31, 18:36
What must I exactly do to install this kernal? (running windows xp)

johsua
2007-03-31, 22:06
M-

you were correct. i just reflashed, and that worked.

luketoh
2007-04-01, 04:53
Hi All,

So this SDHC version of the kernal can support all SD cards from normal ones to SDHC ones? Or only SDHC ones?

Luke

Milhouse
2007-04-01, 07:52
SD and SDHC. The kernel linked in my earlier post also adds low-voltage, wide-bus and high-frequency support for MMC/SD/SDHC - I'm not sure if Kalle used the very latest patches for his kernel.

remjax
2007-04-01, 13:23
I've read and re-read the post on flashing to the SDHC kernal but it won't sink in. As a VERY BIG LINUX NEWBIE, can someone give me a quick understanding on the difference between flashing the operating system and this new kernal?

How do you FLASH to the new kernal from Windows XP and just WHAT files are needed.

I know some of you more experenced operators may get tired of explaning what to you is a simple thing, but making changes to a new EXPENSIVE computer is making me nervious.

By the way I did manage to get the new operating system flashed with no problems. This "kernal" thing is what I dont understand.

Thanks in advance and I'll say up front "Sorry for having you repeat it so many times" but my brain can't seem to "Get" it.:confused:

REMJAX

Milhouse
2007-04-01, 20:16
Most modern operating systems these days have a kernel - even Windows. Think of it as the core of the OS, and it provides much of the low level functionality (such as device drivers) that is made available to applications and higher-level parts of the operating system.

When "flashing the operating system" using an image (ie. the 100Mb+ download available from Nokia) you are actually flashing the device with several different filesystems and components - initfs, rootfs, kernel, a secondary boot loader etc. The large image you download from Nokia (called a FIASCO image) simply contains all of these components and will update all of them for you automatically. rootfs, by the way, is the filesystem that contains all your applications etc. - flash a new rootfs on to your device and you'll lose all your previously installed applications.

The Linux flasher allows you to flash these components individually by specifying the correct command line arguments. This functionality is NOT available on Windows XP, so if you only have a Windows PC then download and use a Linux LiveCD or obtain a VMWare image.

To flash only the kernel you would download the kernel binary (which isn't very big at 1.3MBMb) and flash it on to the device as follows:

./flasher-3.0 -k <path to kernel binary> -f -R

-k instructs the flasher app to expect only the kernel as input
-f instructs the flasher app to flash whatever is used as input onto the device
-R instructs the flasher app to reboot the device when flashing is complete

Having reflashed your device with this new kernel, your device will restart exactly as before - all applications intact - but now your device will have high-speed SDHC support.

Hope this helps.

remjax
2007-04-01, 21:04
THANKS!

That makes it easier to understand. I didn't realize the NOKIA download consisted of those individual parts. I wondered why the SDHC upgrade was so small in relation to the Nokia upgrade, now I know!

NOW to try the upgrade.

REMJAX

Nanocore
2007-04-02, 21:48
Having not done this before either and not finding documentation for how to do this all together, would the steps be:
1) flash the new firmware that was published last week
2) after it comes up, take this new kernel and flash it?

..Implying that this patched kernel doesn't include all the things that came from the release that Nokia published last week. ..sorry for being a newbie.

Keyser.Soze
2007-04-03, 04:24
Hi Milhouse,

Thanks for your detailed instructions. I am interested in flashing the kernel of my N800 for SDHC support but I have been booting my system from the SD card. Is there an easy way to update the kernel on the SD card after flashing the kernel on the device? I hope I don't have re-format the ext2 partition and rebuild the whole SD OS image. Thanks in advance!

johsua
2007-04-03, 05:34
I have no idea if this is compatible with booting from an SD card, but... I just wrote this in the wiki:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_flash_the_SDHC_kernel_w/out_connecting_to_a_computer

I am guessing it will work with SD booting, but you may want to confirm this with someone else.

Keyser.Soze
2007-04-03, 05:56
I have no idea if this is compatible with booting from an SD card, but... I just wrote this in the wiki:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_flash_the_SDHC_kernel_w/out_connecting_to_a_computer

I am guessing it will work with SD booting, but you may want to confirm this with someone else.

Thanks for the wiki entry, it surely will help many around here. I have a thought: Since the SD card doesn't need to be "flashed", is it possible to simply replace the kernel files on the SD card to get SDHC support? It would be more risk-free that way compared with flashing the flash memory on the N800.

johsua
2007-04-03, 06:04
Not sure... I think that you can apply the patches rather than use the compiled kernel. They are here:

http://intr.overt.org/n800-sdhc-kernel/

Check out the readme.

fanoush
2007-04-03, 11:57
Since the SD card doesn't need to be "flashed", is it possible to simply replace the kernel files on the SD card to get SDHC support?
Kernel is always in internal flash memory. There is no SD card with kernel files to replace. Also if your idea was real this would be chicken and egg problem (i.e having only SDHC card how SDHC support stored on that card would be useful?)

As for the wiki page, it is good, I have added few confusing links to it :-)

Keyser.Soze
2007-04-03, 15:42
Kernel is always in internal flash memory. There is no SD card with kernel files to replace. Also if your idea was real this would be chicken and egg problem (i.e having only SDHC card how SDHC support stored on that card would be useful?)

Thanks fanoush! Sorry I forgot this important thing, if the kernel can't read SDHC card, how could it boot from there? :) So flashing the kernel will SDHC support will not affect my current booting from SD setup right? I mean the kernel in the internal flash memory always loads before I choose booting from SD in the bootmenu? Do I understand it correctly this time? Thanks for your help.

TA-t3
2007-04-03, 16:08
I just can't help thinking of the origin for the term "boot".. which is to lift yourself by the boots.. it's like a chicken-and-egg thing.. :)

fanoush
2007-04-03, 19:23
I mean the kernel in the internal flash memory always loads before I choose booting from SD in the bootmenu? Do I understand it correctly this time?

Yes, the order is bootloader->linux kernel->initfs (all in flash, mtd0,2,3 partitions, see /proc/mtd file on device), bootmenu lives in modified initfs (hooked into /linuxrc file) and then the boot sequence jumps to rootfs in flash (mtd4 partition) or to the mmc card (mmcbklXpY partition).

Maltereso
2007-05-13, 18:34
This is GREAT. I have owned my N800 less than week, newer use linux before but with these helps I managed to flash new sdhc kernel and my 4G card works great. thx to everybody.
Next step is java :)

homer_j
2007-06-02, 15:43
I just dont get it.

i have a N800 and a windows pc. I want to flash the kernel that i can use my 8GB SDHC card.
I already loaded the kernel_flasher and the sdhs-kernel-3.2007.10.bin file to the N800. I also installed dropbear and know how to get to red pile mode. But I dont bring the pieces together. Can anyone give a step by step description, especially what i need to enter in xterm, also installed. Thanks a lot!!

I can bring the n800 in xterm to # but how do i change to the directory with the files? (mydoc)

noyz
2007-06-02, 16:28
I really wish I could talk to someone live and get a little walkthrough help. I know this may sound frustrating, but being a complete Linux newbie as well I have almost NO understanding of what to do. Right now I'm downloading VMware, and from there I'm gonna keep struggling and re-reading until it begins to click. Hopefully someone will make a post giving a bit of a dumbed down explanation of what to do. I don't even know what questions to ask. :-(

fanoush
2007-06-02, 19:03
What's wrong with the guide here?

noyz
2007-06-02, 22:19
:O It says that becomeroot can brick the device. :-(, thats scary stuff for a newb.

noyz
2007-06-02, 22:26
When i flash the kernel will I lose any data? Should I backup stuff?

noyz
2007-06-02, 22:45
Mmk I can't get paste the part where your supposed to copy the files to the root or w/e.

The name of my n800 is "Noyz's n800" and I put the files inside that directory, not inside any folders. What would be the command string to cp from that directory?

i keep using "home/user/MyDocs/sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin" and it says no such file/directory. >_< so frustrating.

noyz
2007-06-02, 22:56
Hooray, I think I just did it. Thank-you fanoush!!! HELP VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!! Thank-you others who made attempts at explaining to us noobs. That guide REALLY helped.

xandor
2007-06-03, 16:30
Will this new OS/kernal be of any help in enabling a USB slave drive (I understand I'd have to provide my on USB power)?

I would REALLY love to be able to attach an external 2.5" drive, and be able to transfer photos from my camera to it via the tablet when on my travels ( amongst other things).

Meanwhile, being able to use 16 gigs of sdram sounds very impressive indeed!

(why...my old Commodore 64....)

PowerUser
2007-06-04, 12:09
> Meanwhile, being able to use 16 gigs of sdram sounds very impressive indeed!
Flash is not SDRAM. RAM loses data when power is lost, flash does not.RAM is very fast in read, write and rewrite.Flash is a slower in read, and slow\tricky in (re)write and number of rewrites is actually limited(but you're rarely have chances to encounter problems since guaranteed cycles is 100 000 to 10 000 000 for modern flash ICs, but RAM has "infinite" amount of rewrites).RAM is usually capable of executing code directly from it.Flash ... well, only certain kinds only, programs from SD\MMC have to be reloaded to RAM before execution begins.So, with 16G flash you're like having 16Gb fast HDD rather than like having 16G SDRAM.

TA-t3
2007-06-04, 12:36
@xandor: As far as I know the SDHC kernel doesn't include the patches for USB host support, that's a different project. It should be possible to bring the two sets of patches into one single combined kernel though. Someone has to do the actual work however.

orbitalcomp
2007-06-05, 14:54
What's wrong with the guide here?

That guide worked like a charm...thanks fanoush! I don't know if you did the wiki entry, but I know the flasher util is yours, so I'll give you full credit. If this wiki entry could be stickied somewhere, it should, because that is by far the easiest method I have come across. Plus, it's nice to be able to do the entire process from the N800.

I went down that list and did each item, and now my two Patriot 8GB (Class4) cards are working perfectly after a reboot. The control panel "Memory" applet reports each card as having 7.62 GB free right out of the box.

I just hope Nokia can add in native SDHC support in any future firmware updates, because it's obvious there is quite a demand for it, especially with the falling prices of SDHC cards...

fanoush
2007-06-05, 15:26
I don't know if you did the wiki entryCreated by Joshua, there is a 'History' tab on the wiki page.

If this wiki entry could be stickied somewhere, it should, because that is by far the easiest method I have come across. Plus, it's nice to be able to do the entire process from the N800.

Well, yes, but it is slightly more dangerous in the sense that if you flash wrong or incomplete kernel, you have device which doesn't boot and then you need to learn many relatively advanced things (i.e getting linux flasher working over usb) to get it working again. If you learn how to use nokia linux flasher before doing this, you just try again without any sweat. So basically with my flasher you can shoot yourself in the foot quite easily and then be surprised. But if everything goes ok (like kernel download being not corrupted or battery not going empty in the middle of flashing) it works just fine. In fact I need to implement at least kernel size checking to prevent incomplete kernels from flashing. It is in my TODO list for some time. I should do it or sooner or later someone may be very surprised.

orbitalcomp
2007-06-05, 21:18
Well, yes, but it is slightly more dangerous in the sense that if you flash wrong or incomplete kernel, you have device which doesn't boot and then you need to learn many relatively advanced things (i.e getting linux flasher working over usb) to get it working again. If you learn how to use nokia linux flasher before doing this, you just try again without any sweat. So basically with my flasher you can shoot yourself in the foot quite easily and then be surprised. But if everything goes ok (like kernel download being not corrupted or battery not going empty in the middle of flashing) it works just fine. In fact I need to implement at least kernel size checking to prevent incomplete kernels from flashing. It is in my TODO list for some time. I should do it or sooner or later someone may be very surprised.

I'm glad I wasn't surprised :-) I can see where it might end up being a problem for some, though.

One question - does that "becomeroot" .deb install stay in there permanently? Is it just a script that runs once when installed?

Mara
2007-06-07, 01:12
As everybody knows the stock 3.2007 firmware does not support SDHC cards. I tested today my 8GB SDHC card on "yet to be released" stock firmware (4.2007... I don't remember the rest of the version number.) and the card was recognised right away. :) In other words there should not be need to wait to upgrade to next firmware due to missing SDHC support.

Anybody asking how did I get a hold on the 4.2007 firmware? I didn't. It was in my friends N800 who is the beta tester (True tester) of N800.

distguitar
2007-06-08, 15:05
I'm a brand new user of n800. Just got it in the mail yesterday.
Already flashed with 3.2007-10-7 but unable to use my 8gig Patriot SD...
Any ideas? Instructions mention "reboot". I did a power-off and power-on. Perhaps I didn't do something right?
P.S. My build-in SD reader in Aspire 5102 doesn't recognize the card either. But digital camera took it no problem.

Milhouse
2007-06-08, 15:11
After flashing the device with the 3.2007.10-1, have then need to update the stock Nokia kernel with the patched SDHC kernel - have you done this yet?

You probably need a new card reader as many card readers won't support SDHC.

distguitar
2007-06-08, 15:19
No, I didn't realize I needed to do that! I just followed instructions for linux flashing of RX-34_2007SE_3.2007.10-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin

I suppose I need to re-read the instructions!

There's suppose to be a hotfix for hcsd's for XP, but I wasn't able to locate it yet...

Milhouse
2007-06-08, 15:41
I don't think it's a Windows software issue - in the case of card readers it appears to be a hardware/firmware issue, either the card reader supports SDHC or it does not. In my case I purchased a SanDisk 4GB SDHC card which came with an SDHC mini card reader and this works fine with my XP and Linux PCs, but my Belkin multi-card reader plugged into the same XP PC does not work with SDHC cards at all.

distguitar
2007-06-08, 15:59
That's okay, I will invest into a new card reader later on. My main concern is to make n800 recognize it :) Strange how I missed a whole chunk of information. I thought that flashing was enough.

Milhouse
2007-06-08, 16:13
Hopefully the next firmware (due real soon now!) will support SDHC out of the box. :)

Karel Jansens
2007-06-08, 17:08
Hopefully the next firmware (due real soon now!) will support SDHC out of the box. :)

Yeah... Monday, right? :p

Milhouse
2007-06-08, 17:26
Yeah... Monday, right? :p

Where did you hear that? ;)

Karel Jansens
2007-06-08, 18:00
Where did you hear that? ;)

Who, me? :rolleyes:

Mara
2007-06-08, 19:29

Yes, it will unless Nokia decided to remove the SDHC support at last minute before releasing the new firmware to the public. Next Monday? ;) I think I read some thread where this date was discussed...

Pebkac
2007-06-10, 07:03
Greetings to all /wave.

I am a New N800 owner and linux user.

I have a fairly comfortable background with windows based pc's and their use.. but still cannot come to understanding some of the errors that i receive in Xterm when I am trying to flash to the SDHC support.

I know that the next firmware "may" have that support availaible out of the box.. and will make it "easy" for me.. that said.. I would still like to ride this horse of flashing with the:

kernel_flasher.tgz
sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin

Ok.. I have tried all the various walk-thru's and help files.. with no success.. I will continually get the "no such file or directory" or "Permission denied"

I will explain my process of install.. please correct me where I go wrong.

1) with N800 download the kernel_flasher.tgz, and sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin, to the "Mark's Nokia N800" directory (it appears to be the "root" directory like c:\)

2) I have downloaded / installed osso-xterm, and becomeroot. They are both visable in the installed applications in the Application manager.

3) I start the X terminal application from the "extras" folder, and it presents me with a small black screen (like command prompt) with.. ~ $ .. showing.

4) I then type: sudo gainroot to get root "access"... and I am then presented with.. /home/user/ #

5) I then type: cd MyDocs to get access to the documents folder i presume.. when I then type: ls -a .. I can then see my 2 files kernel_flasher.tgz, and sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin

6) I feel that I am in good shape and I'm gtg... so then I follow the directions listed here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_flash_the_SDHC_kernel_w/out_connecting_to_a_computer

Now here is where my problems start..

Now in /home/user/MyDocs
typing this command in Xterm produces this result:
$ cp /home/user/MyDocs/to/sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin . = /bin/sh: $: not found
$ cp /home/user/MyDocs/to/kernel_flasher.tgz . = /bin/sh: $: not found

If i type the command.. ls in the /home/user/MyDocs directory.. I can see the files.. so then i go back to the /home/user directory and try again...

Now in /home/user

I can see the files.. but xterm doesnt agree with me.

I can understand that the command is attempting to "copy" the files from one directory to another... but obviously is not working...

Ok so then I try a different approach..
back to the /home/user/MyDocs directory.. using this link now http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37606#post37606

In the /home/user/MyDocs directory I place this command:
~/MyDocs $ tar zxvf kernel_flasher.tgz
and I receive:
/bin/sh: /home/user/MyDocs: Permission denied

And i just seem to go round and round with this... please assist me with the error of my ways.

Thank you.
Mark.

johsua
2007-06-10, 07:19
After you gain root access you should have permission to untar/zip the file, so that last part is strange. The rest is a syntax error.

should read:

$ cp /home/user/MyDocs/sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin .
$ cp /home/user/MyDocs/kernel_flasher.tgz .

The to was from /path/to which is a funny way of saying, using the directory path to your file. So your file is in /home/user/MyDocs/ so that is /path/to . It was meant to be generic, so the directions would not be dependent on where you saved the file. Be sure to be in your regular home directory when you do this if you follow the wiki directions. Hopefully we'll all be pleasently treated with an updated OS with SDHC support soon!!!

johsua
2007-06-10, 07:29
And do not type the "$" in there. That is the prompt that xterm gives you.

Pebkac
2007-06-10, 07:32
Thank you for the quick reply..

Tried again with your syntax and still get the result: /bin/sh: $: not found

Thats from the /home/user directory..
Same result from the /home/user/MyDocs directory..

any other thoughts?

Thanks Joshua.

edit... hehe.. maybey its just late.. ok I performed the comand again without the $ and i appear to be copying the same file to the same directory as it is now telling me "are the same file" /doh.

perhaps i will try the flash without the $ sign now..
just a sec..

Pebkac
2007-06-10, 07:47
It worked..

I.. i suppose like many newbs were following all the commands in the example... even to the point of typing in the $ or ~ "root symbols".. bah..

once you have the:
kernel_flasher.tgz (unzipped so that it just says kernel_flasher)

in the /home/user/MyDocs directory..
just then type this
./kernel_flasher/kernel_flash sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin

and presto it works... i was typing in too much crap.:eek:
the 8gb Patriot class4 card is recognized and usable now.

Thanks Joshua.. you cleared the fog for me. :)

Ima tard.
Mark.

johsua
2007-06-10, 12:32
It worked..

Ima tard.
Mark.

No you are not. Linux commands are not intuitive - it's something you have to use for a little while to get used to. Not to nitpick, but it does state in the wiki to not type the $. ;-) BTW - I have the same card as you. I have yet to fill it! Enjoy, and I will "see" you around here more I am sure.

cheers

distguitar
2007-06-18, 03:02
Khm,
I just realized that n800 sees only 2gigs of my 8gig external SD card... Is this a formatting issue or what?

Update: Just forgot to re-format it. Nevermind!

Nik1
2007-06-24, 01:12
I've followed the wiki, but I cant get the files recognized. You mind giving a short tutorial for what I must input and only input , in the simplest form, as I think im putting unnecessary things (not $). Thanks.

Nik1
2007-06-26, 03:18
I input: ./kernel_flasher/kernel_flash sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin but I keep getting the message: /bin/sh: ./kernel_flasher/kernel_flash: not found

Pebkac
2007-06-28, 05:50
I was confused about that as well.. this should clear it up

download these 2 items to the documents folder you see on the N800

kernel_flasher.tgz

then start xterm
then type sudo gainroot

now type cd MyDocs
now type cd .documents

you are now in the /home/user/MyDocs/.documents directory.

Now type ls -a
and you will see your 2 downloaded items in the list. (just to verify they are there)

now type tar -zxf kernel_flasher.tgz to unzip the flasher..
now type ./kernel_flasher/kernel_flash sdhc-kernel-3.2007.10.bin

you are in good shape because you will now see a prompt asking you IF you want to flash..

now type yes

and watch the sparks fly.... when the flash completes... close down xterm by typing exit ...and then reboot.. walla!... your gtg.

like myself.. you are probably typing in too many extra items in the syntax of the command.. just copy and paste what is shown in RED here.

Use these instructions from http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_flash_the_SDHC_kernel_w/out_connecting_to_a_computer to automatically install the needed items to get this done. (click the small icon to the right of the number shown in each step)

these steps as illustrated here worked perfectly for me.

/N800 for teh win.

Nik1
2007-06-29, 04:19
It works perfectly, thanks for the tutorial, it really cleared up a lot of confusion I had. :)

fanoush
2007-06-29, 08:15
I was confused about that as well.. this should clear it up

You may simplify the wiki page and copy your instructions there. I was already giving such specific instructions (see http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37606#post37606 or the posts linked from wiki page) and then immediately came someone who didn't follow instructions precisely, downloaded it somewhere else and complained. That's why the wiki page is generic with the download target but this makes it more confusing in the end. You simply can't satisfy all newbies no matter how hard you try, they are very creative in ways how to do it in a wrong way :-)